Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Vicious neighbor dogs Next Topic  

Claude09647
True Blue Farmgirl

761 Posts

Claudia
Our Dairy Farm Pennsylvania
USA
761 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2014 :  10:32:41 AM  Show Profile  Send Claude09647 an AOL message
Good Afternoon,

I would like to start by saying i'm an animal lover like no other, however you'll see why I had to say that if you keep reading.

My neighbor and I had babies 6 weeks apart. She was blessed with twin boys. I had a darling little girl.

I live on a dairy farm and she lives right next door about a half mile away. (Its our closest neighbor)

We go on frequent walks and have passed this house multiple times. She went on a walk yesterday (Before I got home from work, she's a stay at home mother) and had a run in with the other neighbors rottie, pit bull and doberman mix. She said they started circling her in her jogging stroller. She said she just started praying because she was defenseless. (She's also a two time Afghanistan and Iraq Veteran) And out of the corner of her eye this man was running up the road after the dogs. He said nothing to her but, "Sorry", then grabbed the dogs and went back to his house. She swiftly turned around and ran back to her house. (While pushing a double jogging stroller that is 80 pounds) She called me crying and I really didn't know what to do. I've said about calling the dog warden and filing a complaint. I know she wasn't physically hurt, but it could have been worse. As I was telling my husband last night about this he tells me the our other neighbor that comes and gets milk off of us will not walk her dog in that direction anymore because she had a similar incident.

What do we do?

We walk our babies often, we shouldn't be scared to walk, should we?

I should also state this happened at the foot of her drive way. About 300 yards from the dogs house.

She's a veteran and has a concealed carry as well.

Should Momma start packing some heat?

http://claude09647.blogspot.com/

Check out my ETSY store too! I'm loving it!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Claudiascraftshop

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2014 :  12:43:13 PM  Show Profile
YES and shoot if you need to. Call the Police!!!!! What happens if a group of kids goes by and doesn't have the smarts to stand still or if the owner doesn't arrive in time.

Call NOW!
Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2014 :  1:24:16 PM  Show Profile
I live in a city and have heard of several lethal dog attacks. The latest one happened this week when a Pomeranian was killed by a pit bull/bull terrier mix. The owner of the bigger dog stood there watching with her four kids then called the dog and just walked away. The police are now looking for the dog and the owner.

I believe that it is irresponsible for people to keep dogs that are trained to hunt people. Face it, that is what was happening. Dogs travel and hunt in packs and from the description of the scene, it sounds just like what they were doing. I cannot think of a safe way to defuse this situation. Whenever I have been confronted by hostile animals, I had no one to protect except myself.

If you decided to shoot a threatening dog, you could be charged with destroying personal property. Sometimes proving the intent of the animal is very difficult. I would recommend reporting this incident and every other incident to the police so that there is a record of the danger from these dogs.

Marie, Sister #5142

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

Claude09647
True Blue Farmgirl

761 Posts

Claudia
USA
761 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2014 :  05:37:14 AM  Show Profile  Send Claude09647 an AOL message
*****UPDATE*****

She went to the State Police yesterday. She reported the incident. Its now on file and the owners will receive a fine. She opted to go to the State Police because she wanted to know her rights. They said, (We live in PA) If they do this again, its PA law we are able to defend ourselves and shoot and kill the dogs. The officer stated an investigation would still be done, but because its on record that the dogs have done this before would play in her favor.

We both hope this never happens again and the owners regain control over them. I'm sure they're great dogs for them, but they are not good with any other person.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and concerns :)

Edited by - Claude09647 on Apr 23 2014 05:37:46 AM
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2014 :  7:15:33 PM  Show Profile
We practice the 3 S's, shoot, shovel and shutup...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

carolj
True Blue Farmgirl

244 Posts

Carol
Waynesboro Georgia
USA
244 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2014 :  05:03:59 AM  Show Profile
One of our dogs was killed last week by a pit bull that wandered on to our property. We live in the country and have never had any problems before. One of my students told me about the three S's. Thought that was just a Georgia thing, but since our California sister posted it, I feel that it might be more valid than I thought.

The law here reads that you may defend yourself or someone unable to defend himself against an animal. You should probably check into your laws. Also, if you file a formal complaint with sheriff, animal control, or police, you will have better results.

I didn't read every response, so please forgive if some of this is duplication.

Blessings,

Carol
Farmgirl 1823

Sow what you want to reap.
Go to Top of Page

AFinkberry
True Blue Farmgirl

310 Posts

Ally
Kalama Washington
310 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2014 :  8:19:32 PM  Show Profile
Bear spray.

Ally
Farmgirl Sister #5672

"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies. My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness." ~His Holiness the Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

Madinet85
True Blue Farmgirl

94 Posts

Elizabeth
Indiana
USA
94 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2014 :  08:42:28 AM  Show Profile
I had this happen to me last year with a neighbor of ours. The male dog decided to chase me and tried to corner me. My husband and I went to talk to the lady later, and she apoligized profusely. I said I had started carrying a small taser because he scared me so much, and she told me to give him a good taze if he did it again. I was glad she took my side on it and was concerned for me. She brought over the dog and "introduced" me and he turned into a big baby. Now he'll run out to greet me and run with me on my walks but doesn't act vicious.

Farmgirl Sister #4915
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2014 :  5:39:27 PM  Show Profile
Most rural areas have laws that say a dog has to be under its owners control at all times. That can mean on a leash, but not necessarily; they don't call it a "leash law," which is more a suburban or city thing. We had a neighbor's pit bull mix kill our beloved elderly and blind cat, who was just sunning herself on the front porch. I saw it happen and I will never forget it. We took the owners to court and, long story short, they are now under court order to contain the dog according to the law or he will be taken away and euthanized. The owners were deeply apologetic but jeez louise, what were they thinking before? This dog was always on our property, growling at me while I was out pruning trees etc. and he scared me to death. Another neighbor had a different dog that would do the same thing. They eventually moved but for years I put up with that. We can't afford a fence and even that wouldn't necessarily keep a dog out. What is it about country people that make them think they can let their dogs wander everywhere? Animal Control tells me these dogs will pack up and can become a serious menace. Never ever put up with that!

By the way, I understand that pit bulls are intelligent animals that are supposed to be great with children. But it is in their nature to attack and kill other animals, and they do. I don't think they have any business on a farm, especially if their owners allow them to wander.

Edited by - Rosemary on Jul 25 2015 8:07:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2014 :  8:06:11 PM  Show Profile
This may sound counter-intuitive, but if you really think a dog intends to bite you, give him something to bite. If you're wearing a jacket, remove it and swing it around. He'll attack the jacket and likely that will get the aggression out of his system while you make a get-away. I read this in a book written by a dog trainer. Never have had to try it, but it seems reasonable.
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead O'Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Claude09647
True Blue Farmgirl

761 Posts

Claudia
USA
761 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2014 :  05:52:31 AM  Show Profile  Send Claude09647 an AOL message
Yes, I have read that before Prarie hawk. It would keep them distracted and give them something else to chew on, rather then us. The pepper spray is a great idea as well. Less lethal, but still very effective.

Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - May 09 2014 :  4:29:14 PM  Show Profile
Good to know, but it's terrible that people should have to resort to such measures.
Go to Top of Page

GoddessintheGroove
True Blue Farmgirl

265 Posts

Heike
Sacramento CA
265 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2014 :  06:09:54 AM  Show Profile
I have a big dog that will scare the tootles out of anyone who does not know him. With that said, I am extremely careful about letting him of leash, and my property is secure so he cannot "roam". He is not vicious, but will probably kill a cat instantly, as it is his instinct to hunt them (we live in suburbia, squirrels & cats are his nemesis).
Any roaming dog 'can' be a threat to other animals, and especially kids. They are prey. Pepper spray is very effective (sorry, I have to smile at the "shoot it" posts, since I do live in suburbia :)...my neighbors already think I am weird. I had a neighbor for a short while with a pit. She then proceeded to have another pit "over" for breeding, and they got in my back yard minutes after I brought my then small kids and two dogs in. It could have been a disaster. I walked over, knocked on the door, and told her "Get your dogs out of my yard now and keep them out, or I will shoot them." Never saw them again, and the neighbors stayed out of my way :).), especially for dogs that redirect (that means they attack, turn, attack again.). Taking off shoes and sticking them in their mouth, jackets, etc is great, but also hard to think about when a dog is attacking and you are trying to protect babies.

Glad a complaint was filed. I am always sad to see posts like this, because really, it is not the animal, but the human that needs to be attended to. Irresponsible dog owners :(.

FarmGirl Sister #2245
"A journey back to the roots..."
http://www.herbmagik.com

"Women with opinions, pendants, & KitchenWitches...all in one."
http://www.goddessinthegroove.com

Find me on FB: http://www.facebook.com/theGoddessintheGroove
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2014 :  12:51:23 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Here comes my 2 cents worth.
I am and always have been an animal owner and lover. It is the responsibility of the owner to keep the dogs under control at ALL times. Not sometimes but ALL times. Aggressive behavior is Never anything to ignore as the owner or a citizen. At the first incident steps need to be taken to prevent a tragedy. The second time could be to late. I live in Pa also so here is what else I would do. Contact your township to see what their ordinances are and file a complaint with them. Contact animal control and file with them. Do the people rent or own. If renters then file with the landlord. Call your local magistrate to see if they have any suggestions. Don't feel bad for the owners. They need to be responsible or they need to give the dogs to someone that will. It really isn't the dogs fault. Only the owners. Do whatever you have to to keep the babies and yourselves safe. Some insurance companies won't insure homes that have certain dogs because of this exact thing. I had a Rottie that was an angel but looked scarey. He still was always under control as are all our dogs. If people love their animals they do the right thing for them. I pray for a solution that you and the dogs are not harmed.

Where are you in Pa?

Be Blessed and Be a Blessing,
Darlene
Sister 1922

God first, everything else after!

When Satan's knocking at your door, just say "Jesus will you get that for me?"

When it gets to hard to stand, Kneel!

Go to Top of Page

Marcia30
True Blue Farmgirl

159 Posts

Marcia
Mt. Carmel IL
USA
159 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2014 :  09:15:58 AM  Show Profile
I am having a similar problem. My neighbors have pits and they are always getting off the chain and charging after my kids. Thank goodness they have made it to the house in time and one time my son was out in our field and to far away from the house and he started yelling and screaming at the dog till it turned around and ran. I have notified the dog catcher and the police and the owner. The next time it comes in my yard i am shooting it. They have all been warned and i am not risking my kids life for a dog.

Summer is here and it sure is hot!! But sucking up the heat and getting my tan on!!!
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2015 :  06:44:55 AM  Show Profile
Saying "oops, I am sorry" after the fact is a pitiful way to deal with your fellow humans. I know we love our animals, but humans are more important.

Farmgirl #6318
"Where there's a will -- there's probably a family fight."
Go to Top of Page

CindyG
True Blue Farmgirl

293 Posts

Cindy
Fairfax VA
USA
293 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2015 :  09:33:06 AM  Show Profile
One HUGE caution about using pepper spray: wind direction!

And stopping to check the wind direction when you are staring down the pearly whites of a vicious dog is not likely to happen. If you spray it into the wind, you then have a face full of the spray, closed eyes, and are now blind and even more defenseless with the dog unaffected.
Cindy
Go to Top of Page

beachymom
True Blue Farmgirl

467 Posts

Kathy
Manchester Tennessee
USA
467 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2015 :  12:44:29 PM  Show Profile
We have a neighbor who has several rescued pit bull dogs that are very aggressive to anybody but her & her family. She keeps them inside except for the three or four times every day she lets them out within her fenced front yard. It is a chain link fence so they can still see everyone who walks by & they act out by barking and charging the fence. I let my dogs out several times a day too, but they keep to our fenced in back yard. We have never had any trouble with them, but I wouldn't hesitate to do whatever it took to protect me and mine.

Hugs and Squishies!!

Kathy

Farmgirl Sister #3983

Take care of the land and it will take care of you.
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2015 :  6:52:54 PM  Show Profile
Well I have 2 dogs that to other people may look vicious but they just aren't at all. But a vet told me one time to take a spray bottle and put vinegar in it. dogs do not like it and will behave the minute you spray it at them. My dogs after the first spray now just see the bottle and go lay down in the corner. so, if nothing else take a spray bottle of vinegar with you. It really does stop them in their tracks. and I live in Michigan and we live by the 3 s's too. We live out in the country. So, I guess it is just not us that says that. hehehehehe Good luck!!

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett
Beverley with an extra E...
https://sites.google.com/site/bevsdoggies/
http://bevsdoggies.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ComeOnSammy
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

Samantha
Shelton WA
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2016 :  09:46:20 AM  Show Profile
I hope you haven't had anymore issues with the dogs.
I have to laugh at all the pit bulls mentioned. I had a pit/mastiff mix who was 90lbs of goo. He was the sweetest dog IN THE WORLD. Alternately, my friend's golden literally bit the mailman. And I've been accosted by more labs than any other breed. As for the pepper spray... For the dog I had to use it on, it only made her more frenzied. Is bear spray stronger? That might be worth looking into.
I hope for everyone's sake they have their dogs under control. It's so sad when a dog has to be put down because of their behavior. It's not their fault the owners didn't raise them properly. I do understand why it is sometimes necessary though. My sister actually had this issue was a neighbor dog showing very aggressive behavior towards her GP. She was basically told in order to protect herself and her property (her dog) she was well within her rights to shoot the dog. No warning shots. And she lives within city limits.
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2016 :  05:54:34 AM  Show Profile
It must be very scary to encounter big dogs off leash. I would have a hard time shooting a dog and I hope I never find out if I could shoot one. I agree with many here that it is not the dog's fault but the owners. We humans domesticated these animals to be our companions and to work for us so it is our duty to them to keep them safe. My DD and my DS both have rescued Pitties who are amazing and sweet dogs but are kept on leash and in securely fenced yards by responsible owners. ANY BREED OF DOG can attack and bite especially when not trained or restrained. I am glad that a complaint was filed and I hope it shakes the dog's owners up to be responsible. My elderly Mom was attacked by an American Bulldog and Poodle that broke out of their poorly fenced yard. The dogs had gotten out before and attacked another elderly woman in the same rural area. My mom was just out getting her mail when the bigger dog grabbed her by the calf and dragged her down. Thank goodness for the neighbor who heard my mom screaming. He was able to scare the dogs off. The police caught them and the larger dog was quarantined for 10 days to test for rabies. He was negative since he had to be vaccinated after his first attack. The Vet that quarantined the dog told me that he was a very friendly and smart dog. Too bad they had to euthanize him. The owners were irresponsible for not fixing their fence the first time these dogs got out. My poor Mom had to have stitches and start the painful rabies shots. She is very afraid of dogs since this incident. Tried to file lawsuit to cover her medical bills but the dog owner was illegal alien and disappeared. Not only did my Mom suffer from irresponsible dog owners but a beautiful dog's life was ended.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

I am trying to be the person my dogs think I am.

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Vicious neighbor dogs Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page