Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Son wants to be an English Shepherd breeder Update
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Son wants to be an English Shepherd breeder Update Next Topic  

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2014 :  11:58:37 AM  Show Profile
My DS who is turning 14 on April 6th wants to help preserve a heritage breed of dog. English Shepherds, also known as Old Scotch Collies and Farm Collies, are great farm dogs. Awesome herding instincts and good guard dogs, they tend to stay home and not wander off like some dogs. Extremely smart and eager to please. Teaka Golden Girl is UKC registered.

This is his project but DH and I are helping get the word out. He has Asperger's as some of you already know and has trouble making friends so we thought this might be a good way for him to meet people.

If anyone is interested in getting an ES or knows someone who might be, please keep us in mind. She hasn't been bred yet, but will be soon.

Thank you!

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway" -John Wayne
www.farmallchick.blogspot.com www.farmallchickphotos.blogspot.com

Edited by - FARMALLChick on Oct 06 2014 1:04:40 PM

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2014 :  12:16:35 PM  Show Profile
Also, transportation/meeting arrangements can be made for folks living outside of Indiana.

Go to Top of Page

Greendreams
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

Lilliane
Surrey BC
Canada
12 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2014 :  9:02:39 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by FARMALLChick

Also, transportation/meeting arrangements can be made for folks living outside of Indiana.

Hi Lora,

How fabulous!!! I love the ES breed, absolutely wonderful dogs. I have a male Belgian Tervuren, also a type of herding dog, and just adore him. Tell your son I am giving him a virtual standing ovation for his choice to help save the ES, and I wish him every possible success. Though I cannot take another dog where I am right now, I am hoping to get out of the city soon and would be delighted to bring an ES into the family. Please keep me in the loop as things progress.
Has your son chosen a name for his line yet?
Also, let him know, if he's ever looking to chat with someone about dogs, health, and breeding, I'd be delighted.

Take care!

Lilliane Graie, CH, RA, EOT
If having a soul means being able to feel love and loyalty and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans. ~James Herriot
Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2014 :  09:02:37 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Lilliane! I will let him know. He hasn't decided on a line name yet. We are currently waiting for her to begin her cycle so we can take her to the breeder. It is the same farm she came from, but they have 2 lines going right now.

Go to Top of Page

YakLady
True Blue Farmgirl

652 Posts

Natalie
Montana
USA
652 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2014 :  3:37:48 PM  Show Profile
I have a friend with an ES. He's pretty neat! Good luck to your dear son! Great breed choice :)

~Hen 4316~ Just a farmgirl in Western Montana.
Starting a family and raising up a small ranch using natural resources.
www.YouniqueNat.com
Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2014 :  06:48:55 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Natalie! She is a great dog. I hope this works out for him.

Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - May 14 2014 :  10:04:48 AM  Show Profile
Just a quick update...Teaka is at the breeders. If you like to see some of the pups Walnut Ranch has had before, here is their Facebook link and website link.

https://www.facebook.com/walnutranch.englishshepherds?fref=ts&ref=br_tf

http://www.englishshepherddogs.com/

They have had some beautiful puppies.

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - May 16 2014 :  2:45:28 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
We adopted an English Shepherd when our Sky-Dog died 2 years ago. Stormy is smart, loving, very energetic outside, but low key inside. She is about perfect. The only thing is that she can get over focused on something and bark bark bark.

If he wants to breed, please encourage him to expose his dog and the puppies to herding or agility or something like that which will enrich their lives. They can become trouble makers if they aren't getting stimulated!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2014 :  11:04:25 AM  Show Profile
Update on Teaka - she is due anytime. I spent 2 hours this morning with her in the whelping room talking to her and rubbing her belly. She is panting, pacing and pawing at the bedding. Her temp has dropped and she's lost her appetite. Talked to the breeder yesterday afternoon for some more pointers and now we wait. Can hardly stand it! Puppies were very active last night and this morning.

Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2014 :  1:37:05 PM  Show Profile
Update on the update - She had 7 puppies!

Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2014 :  11:36:35 AM  Show Profile
Just wanted to let everyone know that we still have 3 puppies left. They are 11 weeks old. We were asking $400 each, but are willing to negotiate or possibly trade for other livestock or something. Let me know. The three left are males. 1 tricolor (Ferguson) and 2 (McCormick and Deering) clear sables (blond and white). They are currently being kept outside in a kennel to get them used to the cooler weather, but could very easily brought inside. Super smart and loving. They will be UKC registered and we are also applying for English Shepherd Club registry. They have had their 2nd round of shots and bordetella. They are due for rabies in a couple weeks.

Our little Allis is nearly house trained. It's our own fault she's not - we forget she's in there and we don't pay attention to her cues. lol She is very good at using training pads though. We are not going to have her bred ever because she has a slightly deformed tail. Vet said he didn't know if it was genetic or due to mamma stepping on it. She can wag it, but it doesn't curl over her back like the boys' tails.
The 3 that have been adopted out went to Montana (Oliver), Kansas (Case) and California (Massey).

We are willing to deliver or meet half-way. My husband isn't working right now so he's available to drive. All 3 boys ride very well and are quiet in the truck. They are leash trained and are learning basic commands like come, sit, stay, down, drop it and leave it. If anyone knows of anyone looking for a great farm dog please contact me. Thanks for reading this.

Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2014 :  12:33:33 PM  Show Profile
We have just 2 puppies left. They are all registered now. We sold one right before vacation to a sweet young lady who lives not too far from us. We may end up keeping the other two as stud dogs. They are 12 weeks old now. Such sweeties.

Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2014 :  4:22:09 PM  Show Profile
IMHO, I would not keep 2 males from the same litter for stud, you would do much better to keep another male from completly differant lines, if you are planning to show and breed...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2014 :  06:14:51 AM  Show Profile
I did a bunch of research on the ES breed when we lost our Dalmatian 3 years ago. Since we aren't on a farm yet and don't know when we will be we ended up going with a rescue dog from the local pound but he has a lot of shepherd/collie temperament characteristics. I really need to get him in agility or some sort of game. Anyway, I think its really awesome that your son has taken on this endeavor. We will probably be in the market for an ES when we have more land and are not going to be moving again, but not sure when that will be. I wish him all the luck!

Sabrina

Farmgirl Sister #3275
Go to Top of Page

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2016 :  12:07:18 AM  Show Profile
Hi Lora,

I was just browsing around the forums and doing some digging on topics I'm interested in and stumbled back on this thread. I'm wondering how things are going? Is your son still breeding ES? Is he enjoying it? We are currently in Germany but will be moving back to the states in a year. We are praying we get stationed somewhere where we can get land and if that happens will be looking for a guard/livestock dog! I am very interested in this breed. Especially since they are endangered. Anyway, just wanted to see how y'all are doing!

Sabrina

Farmgirl Sister #3275
http://kidscrunchandchrist.com

Norwex www.sabrinascheerer.norwex.biz
Usborne Books and More! https://j4070.myubam.com

Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2016 :  8:14:15 PM  Show Profile
Sorry, Sabrina! I just saw your post. Things are pretty good here. Found homes for all the other pups. We bought a pup last year to use as our stud. He came from Missouri. When he turned a year old, we had him tested - he and our female are negative for the mutant gene. I can't remember the name right now, but there are only 2 places in the US that test for it.
We have 3 ES right now, but had the 2nd female fixed. I decided I wasn't that thrilled about the shape of her head. It is rather boxy, like a lab. I prefer the longer shepherd face. So we are only breeding Teaka and Gunner. I adore my little Allis, but don't want to carry on that square head trait in our line. You be sure to let me know when you return to the States. We'll see what we can work out. You can see some pictures of the dogs on Facebook under Dry Creek English Shepherds. Gunner is a tri color. Teaka is a darker sable and white. Beautiful dogs!!!

Go to Top of Page

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2016 :  12:53:07 AM  Show Profile
Lora-just a quick update. It looks like we will be returning to the states in November!! We will be looking for a house on 2-5 acres to start a small hobby farm (assuming everything continues on the way it is looking now). We are tentatively scheduled to move to Kansas. That said it will likely take us 30-45 days to get in a house. So I'm thinking it will be March before we are settled enough to get a puppy-Mid Feb at the earliest. After more and more looking I am really interested in breeding these dogs as well as owning them for pets so I'd definintely like to stay in touch. I did "like" y'all's fb page. Do you have any suggestions on resources to learn more about the breeding and training aspect? I have been on the Old Time Scotch Collie page and the Farm Collie website and have seen a training recommendation from another breeder but figured I could learn as much as possibly while I'm waiting to be able to look for my own dogs.

Thanks!!!!

Sabrina

Farmgirl Sister #3275
February 2016 Farmgirl of the Month
http://kidscrunchandchrist.com

Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2016 :  6:27:38 PM  Show Profile
There is only one ES book that I know of. All of our training comes from a local obidience club and the Internet. We have a puppy owner in Kansas. Her name is Rachel Hink. She's on FB as well. She had a pup from 2 years ago. Spanky has won all sorts of awards for agility. I hope you do bring an ES into your family. We love them!! We won't be having another litter until 2018--maybe. I don't like doing the back to back thing. When you do decide to get one, avoid Diamond Line breeder. She has a TON of complaints with the BBB. Our Teaka came from them indirectly before they changed the name from Walnut Ranch. We didn't get Teaka from them, we found her on Craigslist. Also, don't think you have adopt a very young puppy to bond with it. Teaka was 10 months old when we got her and she's been the best dog. Extremely loyal and loving. We got Gunner at 3-4 months and have had Allis since day 1. Let me know when you get back stateside.

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Son wants to be an English Shepherd breeder Update Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page