Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Wonderbag Anyone?? Next Topic  

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2014 :  08:13:43 AM  Show Profile
I saw this featured this morning on Amazon and it looks pretty cool.
Plus if you buy one, they donate one to a woman in Africa.
Has anyone tried anything like this? I am a sucker for anything non-electric.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ESI97YU

If you google haybox cooking, there is a way to make something similar yourself, but it is not nearly as cute!

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – R.R.

Edited by - nubidane on Feb 04 2014 08:24:17 AM

princesspatches
True Blue Farmgirl

431 Posts

arttie
iron mountain michigan
USA
431 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2014 :  08:24:37 AM  Show Profile
It looks interesting. It might be fun to have in the camper. But since you have to have an initial heat source, I don't see it saving a ton of money or being useful in an emergency situation.

Arttie
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2014 :  10:31:31 AM  Show Profile
OOOooooOOOOh! That looks COOL, Lisa! I've never tried it before, but now I really want to! YEARS ago, I had purchased this really cool, thick-bottomed stainless steel pan with a thick-topped lid. You would put your roast in and set it in a 500 degree oven for half an hour (or something like that). After that, you would take it out of the oven and let it sit for another hour and one-half, and the roast would be done to perfection! It was so cool - I loved it. I let someone borrow it once, and never got it back... My foster daughter has one, too. I'm going to have to see if she still uses it! She loved hers, too! :) Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

LuckyMommyof5
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Suzanne
OH
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2014 :  6:04:52 PM  Show Profile
Mine is on it's way from Amazon! I can't wait to try it!!

Farmgirl Sister #3243

"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." - Laura Ingalls Wilder

"A [wo]man is rich in proportion to the number of things which [s]he can afford to let alone." - Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2014 :  7:12:31 PM  Show Profile
Oh! I'm so excited! Thanks for letting us know, Suzanne! I can't wait to hear how you like it!!!

Lisa - did you order yours yet? I had looked into them when you originally posted, but could only find them on pre-order! Then I saw it in the recent issue of MaryJane's Farm, and really got excited! I'm going to have to order mine soon (AFTER the taxes are paid, of course!). I'm all about saving energy, slow cooking, and keeping the kitchen cool in the summer... Being able to help those who are less fortunate, to boot? Awesome!

Please keep us posted, Suzanne, okay? Enjoy!

Hugs,

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Edited by - Ninibini on Mar 12 2014 7:13:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

LuckyMommyof5
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Suzanne
OH
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2014 :  7:43:11 PM  Show Profile
I've been looking into a lot of "alternate" forms of cooking and also thinking ahead to cut down on ways that will heat up our house/kitchen in the summer. After I read the article in MJF on Wonderbag and online articles and reviews on it, I just had to get one. It's supposed to arrive next week, so I'll have to experiment! Between this and the solar oven I am hoping I can cut way, way down on our energy use and keep our house cooler!

Farmgirl Sister #3243

"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." - Laura Ingalls Wilder

"A [wo]man is rich in proportion to the number of things which [s]he can afford to let alone." - Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Wonderbag Anyone?? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page