marjean
True Blue Farmgirl

3851 Posts

Marsha
Deltona FL
USA
3851 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2014 :  06:47:26 AM  Show Profile
Here is another fun topic that I am interested in knowing about my farm girl sisters.

I own a Yorkie and a Siamese cat. In the past we have owned fish, rabbits and a love bird. When I was a kid we owned horses, chickens, rabbits, dogs and one cat. Cats were never our favorite with all the hunting dogs my Dad owned, it would have been a bad mix to bring a cat around.

So, tell me what do you own now and what have you owned in the past!

Thanks!

Farmgirl sister #308
handmade cards, vintage organizer bags and more at www.jeanpatchholistics.etsy.com
http://jeanpatch.blogspot.com

www.marketsofsunshine.com

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2972 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2972 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2014 :  09:45:53 AM  Show Profile
cows, cows, and more cows! Growing up on and now having my own dairy farm we've always had cows. There's always cats around too. Sometimes a dog, but not for a while.

Oh, and the past few years we've had a few chickens for eggs too.

Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
http://nndairy.blogspot.com/

Edited by - nndairy on Jan 21 2014 11:37:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

Dapple Grey Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

725 Posts

Betty
Goodrich Texas
USA
725 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2014 :  10:05:13 AM  Show Profile
Well, here we have a variety! First is our Nubian dairy goat herd. Most are bred and about 16 are due to start kidding on April 1st. Love those babies. Bonnie is the guardian dog that lives with them. We milk and use the milk for us and for making cheese, yogurts and soaps. One of the plans this year is to get a cream separator so I can make butter and have cream for ice cream. Then there are the chickens and turkeys which are in tractor pens that we move around for free ranging. My son has pigs that he raises. Three horses (down from 10 since we got into farming) and 4 dogs.

~ Betty ~
Farmgirl Sister # 5589
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2014 :  11:07:56 AM  Show Profile
I have a dog named Mitzi. My DH saw her online and had to have her.

We adopted her in May at the age of 9.

Marie, Sister #5142

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2014 :  12:14:53 PM  Show Profile
We have chickens and two dogs, Jess and Jazz. We also own a cow/calf herd. In our 36 years of marriage we have owned cats, dogs, ferrets, chickens, a pet cow named Frank, and a horse. I always have wanted a miniature horse and peacocks. I still may own peacocks before too long.
Go to Top of Page

marjean
True Blue Farmgirl

3851 Posts

Marsha
Deltona FL
USA
3851 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2014 :  1:20:26 PM  Show Profile
I've wanted to live where I could have livestock again, but not to sure when that will happen.

Marie that is a cute dog. I'm so glad you took her in, she is old and needs a comfortable and loving home to live out the rest of her life in peace and happiness. Our little Yorkie will be 10 years old this year. We got him when he was 1 year old. Our cat will be 11 and we got her from a kitten.

Kem, my Aunt and Uncle were caretakers of a citrus grove and lived on the property. The owners had peacocks and they were beautiful. We loved to walk around and find feathers on the ground to take home and decorate our rooms with. They sure are loud though. Be prepared for that jungle sounding call to ring out and echo! When I lived in Oviedo, FL one of our neighbors raised miniature horses and we loved going over to brush them and pet them.

Farmgirl sister #308
handmade cards, vintage organizer bags and more at www.jeanpatchholistics.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2014 :  2:07:35 PM  Show Profile
We presently have 2 Australian Shepherds, 2 cats, 2 lovebirds, 1 cockatiel and 1 Rosy Bourke Parakeet.

When our kids were home they had 4-H animals; ducks, geese, turkeys, chickens, breeding and show rabbits (over 30 of those), assorted cats and dogs(ranging from about 4 lbs to 88 lbs). And when our daughters were teenagers they bred and raised cagebirds for home sale and pet stores (over 300 in walk-in cages in the basement; parakeets, finches, lovebirds, cockatiels, senegals, conures, and a lonely amazon parrot). There were other assorted pets; cats, fish, a ferret, a hedgehog and a couple of rescued baby squirrels.

I grew up on a farm in the days when things weren't so specialized, there were dairy cattle, beef cattle, hogs, sheep, chickens, a pony a few geese and turkeys, barn cats and dogs; German shepherds,coon hounds and German shorthaired pointers.

I think those kids who grow up without pets and knowledge of animals are very unlucky!

Susan

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"
Mary Oliver
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2014 :  2:27:47 PM  Show Profile
I live in an apt. We are allowed dogs and cats. But for now my baby is my cockatiel! I got her as a re-home. She has come very far the last several months and has become a very sweet pet! :)

Blessings,
Linda

http://grannysbirds.blogspot.com/
Country at Heart
'For I know the plans I have for you......'
Go to Top of Page

marjean
True Blue Farmgirl

3851 Posts

Marsha
Deltona FL
USA
3851 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2014 :  3:50:39 PM  Show Profile
Susan I agree with you about kids should be raised with animals and taking care of them. Makes us better people if we love animals.

Linda, that looks like a very sweet bird. Our love bird taught me just how loving a bird can be and how attached you can get to one is amazing. Thanks for sharing everyone!

Farmgirl sister #308

Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2014 :  4:53:09 PM  Show Profile
I currently have a dog, a parakeet, and a twenty-year-old cockatiel. I've had in the past other dogs, a rabbit, a guinea pig, a turtle, fish, a cockatoo, an Indian ringnecked parakeet, a Bourke's pararkeet, and other keets and a cockatiel. I found a kitten that I kept for a month and then "gave" (plotted to give) to my brother's family (he has three girls and they love kittens). I'm allergic to cats. Also, though I used to not be, allergic to rabbits and guinea pigs. The kitten, now a beautiful long-haired tortoiseshell, lives an indoor life of luxury. And I've rescued animals that were lost or hit by cars, including an owl. I worked at a petting zoo and loved the llamas and watching the goats play. Still wish I had space for an alpaca or miniature llama. But I don't like camels :(
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead O'Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2014 :  5:51:51 PM  Show Profile
Marsha, I think that is what I like about peacocks is the eerie jungle sound they make. I also love the feathers. They are a beautiful bird.
Go to Top of Page

sherone_13
True Blue Farmgirl

2460 Posts

Sherone
Evanston WY
USA
2460 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2014 :  05:57:02 AM  Show Profile
We have a 15 year old lab named Baby, a Blue Heeler puppy named Cooper, a Chihuahua named Shelbee, a fat cat named Missy, 50 head of Colombian sheep, 25 head of Red Angus cows, and a llama named Snickers.

Sherone

Farmgirl Sister #1682

My Blog

www.annapearlsattic.blogspot.com

My Etsy

www.etsy.com/shop/annapearlsattic

Women are angels. When someone breaks our wings, we just jump on our broomsticks and fly! We are flexible that way!
Go to Top of Page

monique
True Blue Farmgirl

165 Posts

monique
lepelstraat noord brabant
Netherlands
165 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2014 :  07:06:31 AM  Show Profile
At the moment we have 1 cat( Diesel, 8), 1 parakeet, and 4 dogs. Our dogs are all English Spriinger Spaniels and we breed them ourselves.
Gwenn is the oldest( 12),Her daughter Meghan ( 10), Meghans daughter Crystal(2) and Ashley (1). In the future we hope to get moving to the country and then I love to have some chickens and a few sheep.
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2014 :  09:22:16 AM  Show Profile
Love this topic! We have all sorts of "rescues". My fur-baby soul mate is my dog, Bonnie, a German Shepard,Husky mix. She had a hard life before she came to us at six months. She was rescued from an Amish farm, brought to NY, adopted out, abused and brought back. Then we got her. She lives a very, very pampered life now! Then we have a cat who is at least 21, another rescue. He is pretty spry for his age. He was about a year old when he came to us. One of my best friends is a vet, and someone tossed him out of a moving car. Someone else brought him to her office and she insisted I take him. (She didn't have to twist my arm too much, lol). He is beautiful, a Maine coon with lots of fluff and sea green eyes. Such a sweet boy. Our other kitty is a year and a half old and thinks she is a human baby. She pets our faces with her paws, loves to swim in the bathtub, and has her own stroller which she loves. I kid you not. (Grandma sent that stroller to my daughter). Our lop-eared bunny is a real hoot. Loves to cuddle and jump in the air. She was at a pet store where a small farm owner was working part time. He had too many rabbits, and was offering her free to a good home since his toddlers were abusing her. So we took her in. She was skittish at first but now has so much personality and loves to snooze in our arms. Then we have four "teenager" chickens, three hermit crabs, and two fish. The small fish was part of my daughter's fourth grade science class where the kids all made "ecosystems". The fish was not supposed to live longer than three weeks. All the other kid's fishes died before school let out that year. Ours is now three years old!

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

Edited by - texdane on Jan 24 2014 09:23:49 AM
Go to Top of Page

marjean
True Blue Farmgirl

3851 Posts

Marsha
Deltona FL
USA
3851 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2014 :  10:12:46 AM  Show Profile
It's nice to see so many of us love variety in our lives when it comes to animals. I did have a hamster when I was a kid and we had a few ducks at one point. My dad brought home a couple of wild boar from a hunting trip, still alive in the truck with him. He used to drink and at the time was intoxicated! When we hopped in the van with him (GMC Carry-All) it was after dark so we did not see anything with him. Well, he was not in his right mind and let us in the front seat next to him. When we smelled something and heard the squealing, we screamed and he laughed and we promptly jumped out the door! lol
My sister found baby possum's and tried to raise them, but they died after a week. We had two fish ponds on the property and my Dad stocked them and we used to go down and feed them bread. It was fun to watch them follow us around the pond and wait for the bread.
An Osprey built a nest nearby and cleaned us out pretty good one year. We managed to keep a few and they learned to hide under the plants when the birds where hovering overhead. Later, lightening took out their nest and they moved on to a new tree elsewhere.
When we had rabbits we got up to 100 one year, but we soon learned why their numbers were going down. It became very quiet at dinner for a long time! I would not eat rabbit again after that happened.

Farmgirl sister #308

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2014 :  12:13:05 PM  Show Profile
Oh dear Marsha! Such animal adventures.

Marie, Sister #5142

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2014 :  2:45:35 PM  Show Profile
I love reading this thread. It shows the heart of true farmgirls. The pictures are great and the stories as well.

Susan

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"
Mary Oliver
Go to Top of Page

marjean
True Blue Farmgirl

3851 Posts

Marsha
Deltona FL
USA
3851 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2014 :  08:46:31 AM  Show Profile

Our little 10 year old Yorkie, Spencer!

Farmgirl sister #308

Go to Top of Page

marjean
True Blue Farmgirl

3851 Posts

Marsha
Deltona FL
USA
3851 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2014 :  08:48:17 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Marie and Susan for reading and sharing with me your feelings about this topic. I just love sharing a part of me and getting a part of all of you in return!

Farmgirl sister #308

Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2014 :  09:48:29 AM  Show Profile
7 cats (two of which are strays and living in my shed right now) 5 chickens, a scrappy little Pom and I'm about to to the semi reluctant owner of an unwanted goat doe who will likely be named Sweetpea She is just such a winning little beast and I could use some help with the tall grass and weeds. We are considering taking on a rescue dog and possibly a couple of horses if our neighbor will allow us the use of her unused pasture for a little money. Once we have our own acreage I want to start a micro dairy of mini jerseys to make artisan cheeses.

You must do the thing you think you cannot do
-Eleanor Roosevelt

She with the most chickens wins

Annika
Farmgirl & Sister #13

http://thegimpyfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
http://pinterest.com/annikaloveshats/

Go to Top of Page

marjean
True Blue Farmgirl

3851 Posts

Marsha
Deltona FL
USA
3851 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2014 :  10:31:09 AM  Show Profile
That is a great little group of animals you have Annika. I hope you get the use of the pasture for the horses.

Farmgirl sister #308

Go to Top of Page

SandraM
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Sandra
Coldwater Michigan
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2014 :  4:33:32 PM  Show Profile
When we grew up we occasionally had small pets.
I grew up, got married and now live on a small family farm.
We raise sheep and goats. We occasionally have chickens, and steers.
we have three border collies and three barn cats.

Sandra
www.mittenstatesheepandwool.com
Go to Top of Page

Simply Satisfied
True Blue Farmgirl

427 Posts

Emily
Montana
USA
427 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2014 :  8:18:28 PM  Show Profile
Two dogs, two cats, two box turtles, two fish tanks, chickens, a frog and steers. We are starting to feel like Noah's Ark, with two of almost everything

Emily
Farmgirl # 3591
Go to Top of Page

pariscreekfarmgirl
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Corri
Paris MI
USA
24 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2014 :  6:04:55 PM  Show Profile
I worked at a vet for 10 years before becoming a stay at home mom almost 2 years ago. It was a dangerous job in the sense that I acquired a few pets over the years. ;) Currently we have 2 dogs (One is a "bug", 1/2 Boston Terrier, 1/2 Pug and the other is 1/2 Pug, 1/2 Affenpinsher), 3 cats, 3 rabbits, 2 ducks, a turtle and a variety of fish. I am hoping to add some chickens this year and hopefully more ducks, some goats, mini donkey and a horse in the future! ;)
Go to Top of Page

teckelhut
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Sussie
Deschutes Junction Oregon
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2014 :  8:12:41 PM  Show Profile
Three antique border collies (all over the age of 11). Eleven dachshunds (Four of those are rescues. Smooth coated and Wire coated). One dachshund mix. One female African Grey Parrot. One male Stafford Canary. Two horses (One TWH/Arab gelding. One Arab/Icelandic gelding who is a special needs horse. He has Cushings. Both rescues). Two male (altered) cats. Forty chickens (Buckeye, Vorwerk, Java). Fourteen rabbits (New Zealands, Satins, Polish, Champagne de Argents, Argente Bruns, Flemish Giants). Two Nigerian Dwarf goats (Twins. Brother and sister. He is a whether. She is a milker). That's about it.

Sussie of Teckelhut Acres
Heritage Chickens
Meat and Show Rabbits
Certified Naturally Raised
Certified Humane
Deschutes Junction, OR
Farm Sister #5781

Edited by - teckelhut on Mar 02 2014 8:16:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

QueenofQuiteAlot
True Blue Farmgirl

865 Posts

Dalyn
Milk 'n Honey Ranch Central, WA
USA
865 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2014 :  10:31:24 PM  Show Profile
We have a Meremma sheepdog and her 8 pups, a few barn cats, 2 paint horses, a goose, 3 Royal Palm Turkey toms, about 30 chickens, and many dairy goats.

Dalyn

Nubian and Miniature Nubian dairy goats http://muckbootsnaprons.blogspot.com/
http://proverbs31nubians.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic What Animals Do You Own? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page