Author Outpost: Previous Topic Tornado Weather's a'brewin Next Topic
Page: of 2

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - May 11 2005 :  08:43:09 AM  Show Profile
Keep the midwest in your prayers the next few days girls...There is a classic and awesome setup for tornadic outbreak here in Kansas and the Central Plains the next 24 to 48 hours. There is a huge winter storm barreling into the Northern Rockies with predictions of 2 feet of snow! Where I am at it was 95 degrees yesterday and the same for today. The gulf moisture is pouring in and guess where the class of these two systems are going to be?? You guessed it, right over Kansas! The air is heavy and oppressive today it is almost difficult to breathe...I am preparing our shelter in the basement with extra batteries and a radio and flashlights today...just in case. May is the peak month for twisters here in Kansas.

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century.

RachelLeigh
True Blue Farmgirl

635 Posts

Rachel
Rainier WA
USA
635 Posts

Posted - May 11 2005 :  08:57:38 AM  Show Profile
Ohhh MeadowLark be safe!!! We are considered to be in part of tornado alley too and last year's storms were quite bad! I'll say a prayer for you! Get those batteries and supplies down in that shelter now, girlie!!!
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - May 11 2005 :  08:59:23 AM  Show Profile
Sending y'all good, safe, protective thoughts, Meadowlark.

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - May 11 2005 :  3:25:34 PM  Show Profile
As I sit here at my desk there are red tornado watch boxes popping up over most of Kansas and into Oklahoma and Texas...I am contemplating taking precious picture albums down to the basement. It has always made me wonder what does one take besides their loved ones to a shelter if they have a little time in an impending tornado. Years ago when I was 13 my town was struck by a bad twister and we had to run to next door neighbors for shelter in a few minutes time. My mother grabbed cartons of cigarettes...Hmmmm. What would you grab if you had a few minutes?

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 11 2005 :  3:47:51 PM  Show Profile
my grandpa's doll. I have had it since I was about 20. It was his as a child. Pretty shabby looking..no clothes..head is metal and most of the paint has been loved off..so it looks to be of "african decent" now..hanmade body (my greatgrandma stitched it by hand) and no hands or feet..just the ends gathered up there...I should take a picture. I never realized it would be so hard to describe. I just love it. He sits on my dresser and when I go on a trip or anywhere overnight he comes along in the suitcase. (the one time I flew on a jet I put him in my carry on bag since I would just die if I lost him. My husband things he is a creepy looking little doll, but he belonged to my "pappy" so he is special to me.

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - May 11 2005 :  4:16:30 PM  Show Profile
Jenny you should take a pic of your doll! When I was younger I had a big stuffed rabbit my uncle gave me (he passed away when I was 14) when I was just 2...I still have it to this day but lord is it in sorry shape! I took "Petey" every where, even college. He went with me to the basement many times in tornado warnings. He used to be a soft shade of turqoise blue with pink satin lined ears. He has been sewn and repaired many times.

Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - May 11 2005 :  4:56:05 PM  Show Profile
In the last 1/2 hr our sky has gone from cloudy w/ blue to a strange ugly gray yellow. The air is so thick and humid, rain would be a relief. There was a nice breeze all day but now it is still. The birds are still noisy so I know nothing is imminent. We must be getting whatever mix of weather system that's in front of yours Meadowlark. I hope you stay safe and well, with nothing touching down anywhere that can cause disaster. Tornandoes are not common here but we did have a whole business district in one part of the town next to us just devastated last year.
When I was 7, I seem to remember my Grandmother made sure we got "down cellar" and then she scooped up into her apron a litter of kittens that had all been born blind from the front porch and then joined us. Would she have thought to take something else if there had been time? I don't know, but save them was her instinct.
What would I take? My guys first( and the dog...) and probably pictures. Someone from the flood recently told me she puts all her negatives and now the doohickey from the digital cameras w/ picture memory in her safe deposit box in another town over. Not a bad idea for safe keeping.
If I had time... I have a pitcher and basin set that my Mom gave me and her paintings and quilts.And...last but not least a block of wood my son gave me for Mothers Day that he carved a heart into and was so proud of a few years ago. Goofy but special to me. Things are sentimental and sadly can't always be replaced , but people's safety will always come first. Stay safe all of you in harm's way, prayers and blessings to each of you.

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - May 11 2005 :  6:35:36 PM  Show Profile
I would absolutely take the pictures of people gone from us. Those can never be replaced, but other than our loved ones (two- or four-legged), the rest is just "stuff" and,though missed, can be replaced, or done without. I'll be keeping you all in thoughts and prayers.
Sharon
Go to Top of Page

LeslieAnne
True Blue Farmgirl

71 Posts

LeslieAnne
Shallowater Texas
USA
71 Posts

Posted - May 11 2005 :  8:49:42 PM  Show Profile
It's amazing that you should post this today... 35 years ago today, May 11, 1970, an F5 tornado hit the city of Lubbock, Texas, which is about 10 miles from where I live... it's been on the news for days... I still remember how the sky looked that day... really eerie... it was back before doppler radar; so the city was completely unprepared, &, since the tornado came after dark, the people who were killed never knew what happened... 18 people lost their lives & over 1500 were injured... this tornado was, I've heard, one that Fujita studied to come up with the Fujita Tornado Damage Scale...

Tornados are probably the most frightening things I've ever experienced... I've been rather close to several in my lifetime & hope I never see another one... as for what I'd take to the cellar if I had to take cover, I'd need a U-Haul!!!.. my dog & cat, pictures of my son, my grandmother's piano (see why I need a trailer!!!)..

Here's a pic of a twister that touched down about 2 miles from my house about 15 years ago... my neighbor took the photo; I was in the cellar...

LeslieAnne...westTexas
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - May 12 2005 :  05:09:34 AM  Show Profile
WOW!!! LeslieAnne your neighbor is brave...very brave! What an awesome pic! I would have been in the cellar too, whew just 2 miles from your house. Texas certainly has its share of terrible tornadoes, and you all have the big ones too!( Everything is bigger in Texas, right?) An F5!!!! Were you actually living in Lubbock in 1970? I have experienced those snakey devils up close and personal also. It is a experience that you cannot forget. I pray that Texas is spared from a rough and devastating tornado season. I recall seeing the video of the Jarrell F5 around 6 or 7 years ago and could not believe the devestation that monster left in its wake! Be safe LeslieAnne, and on guard! From one tornado alley farmgirl to another! Jenny from Kansas

Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - May 12 2005 :  08:27:33 AM  Show Profile
I may have mentioned this before, but I'll restate it. In 1999, my daughter was in the Air Force stationed in OKC. One weekend she decided she'd drive down to Little Rock to visit her then boyfriend, and thank GOD she did. That was when a huge tornado went through, demolished her apartment building, and caused just a general path of destruction. My mom and I visited her two weeks later and were just floored by it all, since we don't see that kind of thing here in the Northwest. (For places without basements and cellars they recommend getting into the bathtub and putting your mattress over you for protection. YIKES!)

And there was a miracle.... The apartment building had the second story roof blown off, and in my daughter's ground floor apartment, flooding and windows blown out, etc. Her cat was home alone while she was away. When she returned to the scene, her cat was not to be found anywhere. Then one day, about a week later, they were there still trying to retrieve salvageble items from the apartment, and in strolls her cat. Gone a week without food, etc... and scared at the slightest sounds, but especially the wind. I can only imagine what the sound of the wind was like. The military sent them from tornado alley to hurricanes on the east coast in Virginia. They survived a major hurricane in 2003, too. I'm so glad they're in the Northwest now. Our natural weather phenoms and diasters seem much less catastrophic by comparison... but maybe it's just what one becomes used to.

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - May 12 2005 :  09:28:07 AM  Show Profile
Well, last year I had the pleasure of packing our car in case of evacuation from Hurricane Ivan. It is interesting what you choose when the time comes to decide. For us, it was my grandmothers last quilt, a box of financial important papers, a box of family photos, culled down to some of each generation from our great-grandparents to our granchild, a crystal vase that was my mother's, a patchwork teddy bear that my daughter saved up and bought for me when she was 7,.....and of course, a suitcase for each of us with clothes, medicines, etc. And a cooler of food. I put other important stuff under our beds and deep in closets where I thought they might survive. Where I live, rising water would not be the problem, it would be wind damage.

I am thinking of you Meadowlark. I hope that storms are kind to us this year, nation-wide! This country needs a break from natural disasters.

jpbluesky

O, cease to heed the glamour that blinds your foolish eyes,
Look upward to the glitter of stars in God's clear skies.

from God's Garden by Robert Frost

Edited by - jpbluesky on May 12 2005 09:30:01 AM
Go to Top of Page

LeslieAnne
True Blue Farmgirl

71 Posts

LeslieAnne
Shallowater Texas
USA
71 Posts

Posted - May 13 2005 :  5:40:41 PM  Show Profile
Meadowlark, sorry I'm so slow in replying... I couldn't turn on my computer last night because we were having storms all around & I didn't want to risk a power surge from the lightning!!!.. nothing severe at my house, but there were a few funnels sighted east & north of here... one did a little damage to a barn & some power lines about 40 miles away...

You said my neighbor was brave... at the time, I was thinking more like dumb or crazy!!!..

In 1970 I was a college student at Texas Tech Univ. in Lubbock... on May 11, finals were over, & I was flying home, & when the plane was taking off, I could see that although there wasn't a bit of wind, dust was hanging in the air all around the horizon... it had been really hot & still all day... we heard on the 10:00 News about the tornado... I wasn't the least bit surprised... that dust in the air was so weird... I mean, we had dust storms all the time, but the wind was always blowing 40 or 50 mph... I'd never seen dust in the air when it was perfectly calm...

Everybody's tornado/hurricane stories are so interesting... & SCARY!!!.. but thank God all have escaped unhurt...

LeslieAnne...westTexas
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 13 2005 :  7:43:03 PM  Show Profile
When we moved here...to the mountains in Utah...not exactly Tornado country!!...nearly 3 years ago there was a tornado that hit the other side of our very very small town about two months after we moved here. It was amazing what alot of damage they can do. We were in church when it happened and it only hit the other side of town..scary though! I sure will keep you all in Tornado areas in my thoughts and prayers!!

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - May 14 2005 :  12:06:39 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Lorj and all others! WE all face weather and natural disasters of some kind, everytime I hear of something happening now in my farmgirl friends neck of the woods I always say a prayer...whether it be a hurricane, flood, tornado, blizzard, mudslide,or God forbid volcanic eruption. We are all tied to each other in this country, and united in good times and in bad... I feel you all are extended family.

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2005 :  3:32:48 PM  Show Profile
As I type this all of tornado alley is in a watch and on high alert for tornadoes. I am praying that no one is injured and that damage is minimal. I am especially concerned in that my daughter lives in Manhattan and in direct line for these supercells. She has a lot of common sense and does not take this weather lightly. I knew it was going to be "rock and roll" time because in working outside today I was just drenched from the humidity and heat, and the air is dead calm. It snowed today in Boulder! Wierd... Thinking of all the Midwesterners in the watch areas.

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2005 :  8:07:53 PM  Show Profile
I was watching the weather channel just a little while ago and saw the storm alerts. I am praying for you and your family. Hope all is well.
jpbluesky

Heaven gives its glimpses only to those
Not in position to look too close.
from "A Passing Glimpse" by Robert Frost
Go to Top of Page

countrykat
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

kathy
paola kansas
USA
85 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2005 :  10:39:31 PM  Show Profile
We are doing okay here. Lots of rumbling but we keep checking the animals and things we can mend or patch in case water is getting where it shouldn't. We did have the creek come up and over our driveway. The two tin whistles were clogged with debris and that forced the water over the top. Unfortunately it took most of the gravel we put there the last time this happend with it. So, our creek on the south side of the drive is full of rocks and gravel and our driveway is nearly impassable. Thanks goodness for the 4x4 truck. No car will make it in or out until we get it fixed. I call it a moat, too bad we don't have a bridge.

One of us will be working with the rented bobcat again on Monday. Here is a picture of Todd and his brother the last time our whistle got clogged. http://www.tuschhoff.net/gallery/Test/img_1270

We need a better solution. I hate to think we need to go through this whenever we have a heavy rain. Last year it happened three times. This is the first this year. We've only lived in this house 19 months.
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2005 :  06:38:19 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the pic, Kathy! I couldn't figure out what you meant by whistles...well I had an idea... but that's a new name for them. Up here we call those culverts. Maybe that's an irrigation term, not sure. We do alot of irrigating in our region. With them being so big, a bridge might definately be a better option; however, I imagine it would be a big investment. Might pay off in the long run though. Sending good thoughts to everyone.

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2005 :  07:20:29 AM  Show Profile
I like the way you do your photo gallery Kathy. Dh bought me an HP digital and printer set up for my B-day and I am still tinkering with it.( it was in April) Not comfortable in posting pics yet. Yours are laid out great. Maybe you could tutor me on how you did these? You must get some BIg rains there girl! I can tell you are in a heavily wooded area. We call those big drainage pipes tubes where I am at. Funny how language can change in different parts of the state. SE of here they really got hammered with winds and a few twisters. We lucked out. Hope the rains subside in your creek! Take care.

Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2005 :  10:54:06 AM  Show Profile
We had a bad storm yesterday and it blew down our friends new barn and blew the roof off of the pig barn. Pea size hail and you couldn't see a foot in front of you. We are supposed to get more today.

On the subejct of digitals. I need to use mine more too. Last weekend I took a picture of Emma (our golden) her girlfriend Riley and the newest dog in their family Maisie with my regular camers. My frineds 3 year old said "Let me see the picture!" I said it wasn't that type of camera and he looked at me weirdly and said "Why!!??"

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

countrykat
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

kathy
paola kansas
USA
85 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2005 :  7:30:05 PM  Show Profile
Clare, I used to call them culverts too, then I heard them called Tin Whistles and liked that name. I figured with the picture everyone would know what I was talking about.

Meadowlark, we downloaded the software that is our gallery. Since we have access to the server that our domain (that's the www.tuschhoff.net/gallery) sits on we can do it. Otherwise I'd probably have to use something else. We have lots of "albums" in our photo gallery. It's really neat because my whole family is long distance and this way they can keep up with things that we are doing.

Also, the wooded area is mainly along the creek, which causes us grief when dead wood washes into the whistles and there are also quite a few trees around the house, we have probably 10 open acres of our 13.

Just as an update on the creek issue. We've been working hard manually at this point. We have built a retaining wall on the south side of the whistle, the water flows from the north, so I thought we were going about it backwards but Todd said he wanted to get practice on the down creek side before tackling the up creek side, anyway, we got quite the wall built on that side then yesterday he built a wooden retaining wall, pounded in rebar and used some old chicken wire to help strengthen the wall on the north side of the drive. Then he poured quick setting concrete. All this right before a pretty good rumbler of a storm came our way. After two hours in the basement we got the all clear and went out to survey the damage. Since we didn't get much rain (1/2 " by our rain guage) everything was fine. Today he added another section and maybe we'll be ready to rent the bobcat by this weekend to recover as much of our gravel as we can, also to open up the low end of the creek so both whisltes are flowing again, one sits lower than the other.

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2005 :  8:02:47 PM  Show Profile
Kathy, I hope all your efforts on managing your creek pay off. That sounds like hard work you and your husband are doing and hope all goes well! Sounds like he knows what to do! I almost think one has to have engineering background to figure the water thing out. My DH has some of that ability ( math, engineering) and seems to just know where the water should be managed. We have a small pond and he recently had to cut out another ditch for water drainage to the pond off our field. It worked in the last big rain we had. We don't seem to have much eroison or runoff thanks to DH and his earth plow on his tractor. Once I watched him try to save a pipe that was being washed out in a torrential rain and all I could think of was Mel Gibson fighting the river back in that movie called The River. He came in soaking wet and said "the darn water always wins!"
Another tornado watch has been issued for my neck of the woods. I hate the watches at night. Another sleepless night in tornado alley!

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century. http://www.xs4all.nl/~josvg/cits/sb/sb101.html
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2005 :  06:19:20 AM  Show Profile
Wow, reading about all of your hard work and water damage control is amazing. Here, on the Gulf, we face the same problems. We have a creek fifty yards or so from the house with a large concrete culvert that runs under our road. I have seen it crest the road once, during a tropical storm that dropped eight inches in one daylight period. It was running angry, too. People were trying to ford it, but you never know when the road itself will crumble because of the sandy soil and shifting dirt we have here in Florida.

What a huge limb you removed! That washed into the drain? WOW.

Hope your twisters calm down soon. And think of us here as we watch Arlene approach.

jpbluesky

Edited by - jpbluesky on Jun 10 2005 06:22:35 AM
Go to Top of Page

countrykat
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

kathy
paola kansas
USA
85 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2005 :  08:02:45 AM  Show Profile
That limb was actually a dead tree that got washed out of the ground last year during a very heavy rain. We got 6" in less than 2 hours. The boys had cut off as much as they could of the limbs before we were able to get a strap around it and pull it out of the culvert. All I know is it took two days and a mighty big fire to get rid of it. I had though a friend would want the wood, it was Walnut, for making knife handles but he wants burled wood.

Todd is an electrical engineer, maybe it is helping. He's very good with Math too. Me, I liked mixing the concrete, especially when the man at home depot said it should be the consistency of brownie batter. That made sense to me and I put on rubber gloves and got right in.

We should get the gravel delivered today that will top off things, we'll add concrete to it to try to create a solid surface and hopefully next time the water just goes over and leaves everything where it was.
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2005 :  08:49:06 AM  Show Profile
Ahhh...I just knew it Kathy! I am the daughter of a retired civil engineer and DH is a commercial pilot. Your husband is really efficient and thourough on the creek project...had all the markers of an engineer!

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century. http://www.xs4all.nl/~josvg/cits/sb/sb101.html
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Outpost: Previous Topic Tornado Weather's a'brewin Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page