knitnpickinatune
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Sherrie
Gardena California
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2014 :  2:38:13 PM  Show Profile
I finally got to go thru my latest issue of MJF and read about the dangers of wearing bras (YIKES!) I remember my mom always had me in camisoles in jr high,but they weren't lined or anything. I've been looking online for camisoles and haven't found much. Closest I can get is an athletic type bra.....and I don't know if that qualifies as a camisole or not. I'd be wanting one that's lightly lined so no show thru. Cotton would be a plus (thinking of summertime!) any suggestions from you ladies?

http://www.angelicwindsnstrings.biz
Handcrafted luxuries for violin,flute,ukulele,mandolin,and clarinet

@MandolinChick on Twitter
mando pickin,uke strummin,clarinet playin Farmgirl #702

sweettea
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Candace
St Cloud MN
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2014 :  11:51:33 AM  Show Profile
The Raising Jane edition...August/September 2008 has a very cute camisole pattern in it. It would be easy to adapt, add your own homemade lace, etc. However, the magazine is out...can't get it anymore. I had been hoping to get another copy of the magazine for my daughter. Perhaps Mary Jane might run that pattern again in a future edition for new readers that would like it? I'm going to make it and substitute tatting for some of the lace. Other than that, my own search for camisoles haven't come up with much. Lacy knit camisoles can be pretty expensive. I don't like exercise bras because they can be every bit as restricting sometimes as bras. Vermont Country Store has some women's undershirts and camisoles. The website is: http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/store/jump/Women&aposs/Intimates/Camisoles/cat660005. They have some cotton tank tops and camisoles in packages of 3 for $25 to $29. I like the option of making my own though.

"There are two ways to live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2014 :  1:16:42 PM  Show Profile
When I'm nursing I quit using "nursing" bras save for the Womama brand from Australia (I ordered them from Amazon)depending on what top I want to wear that day. Usually I just wear a "nursing top/cami" from Target and then I layer with a shawl/wrap/button or zip shirt. The thing I found is once I quit the bra except for occasional use while nursing I never had another problem with clogged ducts or mastitis or other issues due to restrictiveness. Since then I've wondered about wearing bras while not nursing if it was still doing something negative to my body. Glad MaryJane had that article in the newest magazine! I too, am looking for bra alternatives. For me though it's not as much as body shaping as it is hiding the "headlights" so to speak. Maybe I'm too prudish but I'd like for those to be concealed for my sake as well as others :) Would a regular cami help with that?

Mothers are those wonderful people who can get up in the morning before the smell of coffee. ~Author Unknown

http://countryrenaissance.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunflowersAndHoney
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2014 :  10:09:03 PM  Show Profile
Masitis comes from wearing too restricting of a bra. Wearing the correct size is really important. Most women think they are a DD or less...but in reality there's all kinds of shapes and sizes. I'm a I or K cup depending on the brand. If I get the right size, I have no restriction, and get the lift and shape. I personally don't know if I could handle not wearing a bra in public. (I go braless at home though) but um mine are NOT perky in the least, no bra literally means my breast hang about my belly button....it's not attractive at all.....

But, if you want to go braless and have less "lumps/bumps" I would suggest a tricot cami, that will make your outer clothes stand off away from your body a bit, and give you a smoother finished look.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Dapple Grey Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

725 Posts

Betty
Goodrich Texas
USA
725 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2014 :  08:56:26 AM  Show Profile
Heather, ditto on what you said! :) I couldn't do it out in public either.

~ Betty ~
Farmgirl Sister # 5589
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2014 :  09:17:57 AM  Show Profile
It is sad that most of us do not wear the correct bra size. When I finally switched from a B to C, I felt much better. I thought it was a little slutty to admit I was a C.

I have not gotten up the courage to get myself sized properly. I'm a little reluctant because they have to "handle" you to ascertain the correct fit. Maybe this year.

Marie, Sister #5142

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2014 :  2:51:14 PM  Show Profile
in fact a good sizer won't even use a tape measure, but rather they will for sure cup your breast! lol So they know not only the right size but right shape too, all the brands are slightly different shapes.

Being slutty has nothing to do with the size of your breast, if they are natural you have no control over how large or how small your breast are.

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2014 :  12:42:38 AM  Show Profile
Yeah, I know it has nothing to do with the cup size but I have noticed that a guy's eyes tend to bug out at the sound of DD. LOL

Marie, Sister #5142

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2014 :  08:01:25 AM  Show Profile
yeah but unless you tell them, they don't actually know what that means...I was a DD in third grade....most men don't even know what a I or a K cup even is....lol but I don't go around and tell men that's what I am either....lol I just know that my bra now fits that I am wearing that size. lol

Go to Top of Page

kysheeplady
True Blue Farmgirl

1291 Posts

Teri
KY
USA
1291 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2014 :  08:40:49 AM  Show Profile
I like these ...
http://www.zappos.com/spanx-trust-your-thinstincts-camisole-natural

Teri
"There are black sheep in every flock"

www.whitesheepfarm.com
https://www.etsy.com/shop/whitesheepprimitive
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2014 :  09:56:08 AM  Show Profile
my breast are too large for the camis with shelf bras, I spill over the top and out the sides, and it hurts since it's not big enough either...(no matter what size I have went up to, even when I only wear a med shirt, and buy the 3X cami, still too small).

Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2014 :  6:10:49 PM  Show Profile
There is no reason to feel squeamish about going to a good lingerie store to be fitted properly for a bra. The women who work there treat you with dignity and know how to put you at ease. You will be amazed how good you look and feel with the right style and size bra.

I think the trick to good bra fitting is to go to a store that specializes in lingerie for normal grown-up women. Not even the best department store lingerie department will be as good, especially if you have needs that might be a little outside what the majority of women will settle for. I would not recommend Victoria's Secret. A nation-wide store called Intimacy is very good. If there is one within 100 miles of you, it's worth the trip. No kidding.

Edited by - Rosemary on Feb 09 2014 6:14:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2014 :  8:28:31 PM  Show Profile
I agree 100% Victorias Secret don't even carry a very good variety, they only go up to like DD! Which believe me there's a lot of women bigger then that.

My Intimacy is far and away the best store ever!

Go to Top of Page

sherone_13
True Blue Farmgirl

2460 Posts

Sherone
Evanston WY
USA
2460 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2014 :  05:50:09 AM  Show Profile
Try Lane Bryant or Maurices for the bigger size camis. They are well made with quality fabric and are very stylish. I have DD's and I like a nice sports bra, not too tight.....just holds the girls so they don't sag.

Sherone

Farmgirl Sister #1682

My Blog

www.annapearlsattic.blogspot.com

My Etsy

www.etsy.com/shop/annapearlsattic

Women are angels. When someone breaks our wings, we just jump on our broomsticks and fly! We are flexible that way!
Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2014 :  06:44:38 AM  Show Profile
I order my bras from www.herroom.com and am always pleased with their selection. They even have a quiz about your breast shape that will help you find the right bra and believe me having the correct size will make a wonderful difference. Wouldn't dream of going out in public without a bra.
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2014 :  09:51:54 AM  Show Profile
I have to say that having the professional size you is nothing to be shy of- I went thru breast cancer treatments -chemo/radiation/mammos/ etc etc etc ---professionals are trained for this!so long as armpits were presentable, you get used to baring quickly!

I've been wearing tank tops as an "undershirt" just to keep warm lately! since my cancer I wear mostly a front buttoning sports bra- don't get any nice "shape" but more comfy-

I would love it if our MJ would re-run the cami pattern from 2008.
i'm also interested in bloomers !

Farmgirl # 2139
proud member of the Farmgirls of the Southwest Henhouse
~*~ counting my pennies; my dreams are adding up!~*~

Edited by - Penny Wise on Feb 10 2014 09:52:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

Woods Woman
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

Catherine
Winfield kansas
USA
12 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2014 :  12:30:11 PM  Show Profile
I have been telling women for years not to wear bras. I suppose if you are very large it would be different, but for everyone else it is very dangerous.
When I go out in public I wear two layers so that no one knows I am without a bra. I am very modest so I don't want anyone to observe that I don't have a bra on. I use my long hair to cover my chest area by wearing it down on both sides and in front. That works sometimes.
I wear tanks or a pull over, very loose support sleep bra when I need extra support. These do not restrict the flow of the lymphatic system.
Check out Bali bras on-line. These are pull over supports that don't restrict at all. The number is 102JIX98J. Check it out! I love these!

It is only with the heart that one sees clearly, what is essential is invisible to the eye.
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2014 :  9:41:38 PM  Show Profile
I find most plus size tanks if they have a built in bra are not for bigger breast. They may be for a DD.. or so...but for sure not for a I cup... most clothing is made based on a "b" cup size... once in a while a designer will make something based on a D cup, but very very very seldom.

Go to Top of Page

appyindy1953
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Deborah A
Rochester N.H.
USA
2 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2014 :  05:17:45 AM  Show Profile
I just had to say something as I am also a woman who has never worn bras. I would buy a couple here and there thinking it would boost me up but they always ended up in the bottom of my drawers.
So one day I went shopping in Dillards in Ocala Florida where I used to live and I discovered these nice comfortable camisoles and they were by Modern Movement.they went for $29.99.
They were really really great and they came in all kinds of soft colors course I bought every color as I used them so much. So here was a great cami and now I cant find them anywhere.But the light bras inside were amazing.I have one here as i am studying it and wishing for more like these somewhere.no underwires but by goodness they kept the girls in place with no tightness.u could breath but yet they were easy on the girls.Soooooooooooooooooo wish someone could find these again.

NH Farmgirl #5754

Deborah A.
Go to Top of Page

aliciasmith
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

alicia
new york new york
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2021 :  10:09:30 PM  Show Profile
I ordered for my self Hanes cami with shelf in bra, have a look https://www.apparelshopusa.com/hanes-womens-stretch-cotton-cami-with-built-in-shelf-bra-18514.html
Go to Top of Page
  Farmgirl Fashion: Previous Topic Camisoles,,,,,,,questions Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page