Page: of 7

auntjenny
True Blue Farmgirl

277 Posts

Jenny
San Luis Obispo CA
USA
277 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2018 :  6:00:35 PM  Show Profile  Send auntjenny a Yahoo! Message
I loved revisiting this post. 4 years ago my answers are a little different. I would choose gardening,knitting and hiking/camping now. Still though...birds, and sewing and spinning and baking and my birds are close behind. Funny how things change just a little as we age. Not so much into my bike now. Will be 60 soon and very grateful to be as active as I am. So fun to read about what you all love to do as well.

Dream like you have a lifetime ahead of you. Live like you only have today.
Go to Top of Page

marjean
True Blue Farmgirl

3851 Posts

Marsha
Deltona FL
USA
3851 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2018 :  1:02:15 PM  Show Profile
Aidan that is such a pretty name. My grandfather's family on my Dad's side are from Ireland. I would love to visit there one day. Have you been to Ireland yourself? What got you started in learning to dance?

My latest hobby is making paper flowers. I make fabric ones so it just seemed like the next step. I use a scoring board.
I love my card making kit from Stampin UP! it is so much fun. I look for the box to come in the mail every month now.

Farmgirl sister #308
Wallets & Travel Accessories, Tea Wallets, and Hankie Envelopes
http://www.marketsofsunshine.online

Card Making Circle of Friends
www.marshajaramillo.stampinup.net
Tea Lover's
www.tealightfultea.net/sweetretreats
FGOM 5/2018

Edited by - marjean on Aug 21 2018 1:21:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

aidanm
Chapter Leader

25 Posts

Aidan
CA
USA
25 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2018 :  9:17:10 PM  Show Profile
"Aidan that is such a pretty name. My grandfather's family on my Dad's side are from Ireland. I would love to visit there one day. Have you been to Ireland yourself? What got you started in learning to dance?"
Thank you! My father was 100% Irish and my mother was infatuated with the culture, so I started when I was 6. I never got to the highest level, so I am trying to do so now as an adult 20 years later...
I actually just competed in our Regional competition in Portland this weekend. It's the biggest one of the year and it was just amazing :)
Sadly I have yet to go to Ireland, but it is definitely up there on my travel list.

Here's a photo incase anyone is interested:

California Country Girl transplant from Ohio - Bibliophile & Blogger - farmgirlaidan.wordpress.com
Sister #7664

Edited by - aidanm on Nov 21 2018 9:19:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

loribeck
True Blue Farmgirl

588 Posts

Lori
Alvordton 36
USA
588 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2018 :  6:11:29 PM  Show Profile
Crocheting is my first hobby. I find it to be relaxing. I also like to do simple crafting, and my third is repurposing discarded items that I find at garage sales or thrift shops. There are so many things I like to do. Now that I have joined the sisterhood I am finding more things that I would love to try. I plan on starting a garden this coming spring.

Lori Beck
Go to Top of Page

marjean
True Blue Farmgirl

3851 Posts

Marsha
Deltona FL
USA
3851 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2018 :  10:10:42 AM  Show Profile
The sisterhood is such a nice place and gives you lots of new friends to do crafting with Lori.

Farmgirl sister #308
Wallets & Travel Accessories, Tea Wallets, and Hankie Envelopes
http://www.marketsofsunshine.online

Card Making Circle of Friends
www.marshajaramillo.stampinup.net
Tea Lover's
www.tealightfultea.net/sweetretreats
FGOM 5/2018
Go to Top of Page

loribeck
True Blue Farmgirl

588 Posts

Lori
Alvordton 36
USA
588 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2019 :  8:31:11 PM  Show Profile
Just browsing through some more of the subjects in the listing. Hobbies are interesting. I love to read about other peoples interests. I have so many things I like to do. Reading, crocheting, walking, decorating bottles, cook, etc. My favorite 3 are reading, crocheting, and walking. I am learning crocheting all over again since my accident 2 years ago. In fact, I am starting to crochet some Christmas gifts for my grandchildren. I love reading the Amish books, James Patterson, and Patricia Cornwell as well as many others. Any kind of crafting is fun, though.

Farmgirl 7444

Lori Beck
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9234 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9234 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2019 :  04:33:22 AM  Show Profile
Love this topic too Lori!
My hobbies have changed over the years. I pretty much stick with quilting, reading, crochet and knitting. I also love to do puzzles.

What type gifts are you making for your grandchildren?

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

loribeck
True Blue Farmgirl

588 Posts

Lori
Alvordton 36
USA
588 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2019 :  7:50:28 PM  Show Profile
Denise, I am crocheting gingerbread men for the granddaughters. I thought they would enjoy them. I am thinking about crocheting balls for the younger grandsons. Safe to play with in the house and something different as they will be homemade. It's fun to keep the hands busy. If I am crafting I am not snacking. LOL

Lori Beck
Go to Top of Page

Simple Living
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Joan
Staten Island NY
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2019 :  07:38:41 AM  Show Profile
I enjoy making greeting cards. It's so relaxing

Put your hair up in a bun, drink some coffee and handle it.
Cards by Joan Creations on FB
Farmgirl #3842
Go to Top of Page

loribeck
True Blue Farmgirl

588 Posts

Lori
Alvordton 36
USA
588 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2019 :  6:50:05 PM  Show Profile
Joan, I just started making cards. Not too good at it yet. It is fun, though.

Lori Beck
Go to Top of Page

Simple Living
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Joan
Staten Island NY
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2019 :  11:43:05 AM  Show Profile
Lori Beck, Isn't it a great fun hobby? I'm sure you are better than you think at it.
:)

Put your hair up in a bun, drink some coffee and handle it.
Cards by Joan Creations on FB
Farmgirl #3842
Go to Top of Page

loribeck
True Blue Farmgirl

588 Posts

Lori
Alvordton 36
USA
588 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2019 :  6:47:11 PM  Show Profile
Joan, I've only made a few. I don't know about the rest of you but I have about 5 things that I'm working on. I think I need to be an octopus. LOL. The card making is fun. It gives me a chance to put show some creativity.

Lori Beck
Go to Top of Page

Dreamer42
True Blue Farmgirl

2680 Posts

April
Central Oregon
USA
2680 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2019 :  12:25:00 PM  Show Profile
I love making anything, just being creative is so therapeutic and healing. I love to make junk journals, cards, tags, memory boxes, cards, stationary and coffee stained papers. I love anything paper. The one thing I especially love is that I take my sons artwork and create greeting cards out of my favorite pieces of art - so special. I have also used pieces of my grandmothers art ( she loved to paint with both oils and water colors) and I have also made stationary sets as gifts for family members. They turn out so pretty and are so meaningful!

I also just started collecting items, old photos, and information for family history albums on both sides of our family and we have our DNA kits waiting for us to complete and send back in. I love learning about our generations past.

I also love gardening and working in our little yard. Getting my hands and feet dirty is such a wonderful and rewarding feeling. The benefit of watching your own little garden grow is Awe-mazing!

Thanks for starting this thread and allowing me to share!

Dreamer42
Farmgirl Sister #7038
Go to Top of Page

loribeck
True Blue Farmgirl

588 Posts

Lori
Alvordton 36
USA
588 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2019 :  6:15:56 PM  Show Profile
Talking about coffee stained paper, April. Do you make your own paper? I read about it in one of Mary Janes' magazines and am going to try it. I bought a cheap blender at a resale shop to use just for that purpose. I can't wait to see what it is like when I finish with it. I need to go back to the resale shop to see if they have some old cookie sheets to dry the paper on.

Lori Beck
Go to Top of Page

Dreamer42
True Blue Farmgirl

2680 Posts

April
Central Oregon
USA
2680 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2019 :  7:39:00 PM  Show Profile
Hi Lori, I just started doing it, and actually love, not sure if it's the correct way to do it, but I take a pot of coffee, pour it into a cookie tray, take what ever papers I have on hand, dip them into the coffee in the cookie tray, front and back and then lay them in a second cookie sheet and bake them in the oven at 300 degree until they are dry, take them out and start over! They have turned out really well, I know some ladies say they don't like the process, but with a glass of wine - I find the process so relaxing and love love love admiring my stack when I'm done! Good luck with your coffee dying!! Hope you have fun with it!

Dreamer42
Farmgirl Sister #7038
Go to Top of Page

margie38572
Farmgirl in Training

29 Posts

Margaret
Crossville TN
USA
29 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2019 :  10:26:26 PM  Show Profile
Hello, there! I enjoyed reading through all the posts and seeing the hobbies of others. My top three are origami, crocheting, and knitting. I also have a huge paper doll collection and, yes, I do spend some relaxing time just cutting them out. I also love scrap booking, journaling, and writing but I see these more as necessities of life rather than hobbies. You ladies all have a blessed weekend.

Marge in Crossville, TN
Farmgirl Sister #7915

Margie
Go to Top of Page

loribeck
True Blue Farmgirl

588 Posts

Lori
Alvordton 36
USA
588 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2019 :  6:04:16 PM  Show Profile
Oh Margaret, I have never tried origami. I would love to try it and see what I can make. I bet my grandkids would love to have me make something. It looks so complicated, though. I tried knitting once and did a lousy job at it. LOL. I do love to crochet. Have a wonderful weekend

Lori Beck
Go to Top of Page

jillyd
True Blue Farmgirl

710 Posts

Jill
Saanichton British Columbia
Canada
710 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2019 :  08:43:16 AM  Show Profile
My favourite hobbies are reading, spinning, knitting and gardening. After that I also like cooking, making bread, walking, particularly along the waterfront, and spending time out in nature. It is interesting reading everyone's favourite hobbies. There are so many I would like to try, but need to stay focused right now.

Jill
Farmgirl #6748

"When life gets super crazy, do your art. It helps you remember the exquisite, imaginary, delightful, lovely side of what is otherwise sometimes a bit much" Sylvia Olsen

Edited by - jillyd on Jul 31 2019 08:43:46 AM
Go to Top of Page

loribeck
True Blue Farmgirl

588 Posts

Lori
Alvordton 36
USA
588 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2019 :  5:58:37 PM  Show Profile
It seems like my list of hobbies keep growing. Now that I am feeling better I am turning into some kind of a machine. LOL. I really getting into the gardening thing. I'm starting to compost and am loving my different mints that I grow. I have some old washtubs that I am thinking about growing some of the mint in. I want to expand on how much I am able to harvest. So I guess I would have to say that gardening is on the top of the list. In the fall and winter that will turn to crafting.

Lori Beck
Go to Top of Page

jenny_janicek
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Jennifer
McMinnville Tennessee
USA
8 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2019 :  06:16:25 AM  Show Profile
I've tried many many hobbies but the latest ( and greatest to me at least ) has been dollhouse building! My Gran was a huge miniaturists and when she passed in '99, we boxed up her entire collection. That then sat in storage until last month when I pulled it all out and began dollhouse building. I've taken over her final project and turning it into a merchantile and apartment ( she had planned saloon and lawwyers office ) It's been a way to connect and get to know her even after all these years.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9234 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9234 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2019 :  08:36:19 AM  Show Profile
Still have the same hobbies and seem to go from one thing to another. Right now I am crocheting some things for gifts.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

lovecatsandsunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

237 Posts

Tara
Sands of Time SC
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2019 :  03:52:36 AM  Show Profile
Card making for Military. This year again I was asked to make cards for a nursing home. I made 8.
Also love gardening, flowers and growing a few veggies. My husband and I live in SC, missing the mountains and our former huge garden when we lived in TN. Now we are in the very beginning stages of buying land upstate.

Have you hugged your cat today?
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2019 :  4:27:14 PM  Show Profile
I have several hobbies that include: simple knitting and crocheting, simple sewing, canning. cooking and bread making, reading all types of books, travel, vintage postcard collecting, writing postcards to family and friends, and being active here at MJF.

I love hearing about everyone's hobbies. There are many interesting projects and skills within our Farmgirl community. It is truly inspiring!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

stephaniesmith
True Blue Farmgirl

58 Posts

Stephanie
Independence MO
USA
58 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2020 :  12:53:21 PM  Show Profile
Crochet is my favorite thing ever! I also enjoy sewing, embroidery, and making and trading artist trading cards and postcards. Anyone else into mail art?

http://www.etsy.com/shop/Indigohoneybee
Go to Top of Page

NatChap
True Blue Farmgirl

441 Posts

Natalie
Clarkesville GA
USA
441 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2020 :  1:11:21 PM  Show Profile
Crocheting, digital photography, writing, walking/hiking, treasure-hunting for antiques, and taking care of the animals and garden are some regular hobbies. I tinker with others to learn something new.

Stephanie, I do like ATC's and postcards. I have only started making them in the MJF swaps. They are fun. I have purchased some in the past as well. I especially love Victorian postcards to collect.

Keep shining!
Natalie

"Ask what makes you come alive and go do it." ~Howard Thurman
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic What is Your Favorite Hobby? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page