Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Off the Grid/Homesteading Skills
 Raising Turkeys
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Off the Grid/Homesteading Skills: Previous Topic Raising Turkeys Next Topic  

Daizy
True Blue Farmgirl

992 Posts

Daizy
Talladega Alabama
USA
992 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2013 :  06:37:58 AM  Show Profile
Hay ya'll,

I have raised chickens and quail and want to raise All-Natural Turkeys. I have a neighbor who wants 20 smoked for next Thanksgiving to give to his customers....he gives something every year. Is there anyone out there in Farmgirl Land who has raised them before. I am planning to order 50 total and want to get the best breed. Also, any info will helpful.

Hugs and prayers,
Daizy
www.poorhouseparadise.blogspot.com

Daizy #1093
Poor House Farmgirl Chapter
A good day is when you find ALL your ear tags! I wonder how my cows would like my Farmgirl apron??

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2013 :  4:49:38 PM  Show Profile
it would depend on what finished weight you want, to determine breed, all turkeys can be raised all natural...do you want heritage breeds or larger broad breasted breeds...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

Daizy
True Blue Farmgirl

992 Posts

Daizy
Talladega Alabama
USA
992 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2013 :  05:01:44 AM  Show Profile
Morning Mz Tina, I was thinking of going with a heritage breed....I don't want a giant bird that won't fit into someones oven. Still want it to be tender, tho. As I understand it only takes about 8 months to reach the correct harvest size. Do you raise them?

Daizy

Daizy #1093
A good day is when you find ALL your ear tags! I wonder how my cows would like my Farmgirl apron??
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2013 :  07:47:46 AM  Show Profile
lol, I have had 1 turkey at butcher weight be 48 lbs, and yes it did fit in my oven, other wise the toms average 30 lbs, and the hens 26 lbs, I raise 50 per yr, my family and I keep 9-10 of them for the holidays , plus some that we barbaque during the summer, the other 40 are sold and/or donated to charity...I raise broadbreasted whites, bought as dayold poults from "Murray McMurray"...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

Daizy
True Blue Farmgirl

992 Posts

Daizy
Talladega Alabama
USA
992 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2013 :  3:48:09 PM  Show Profile
So 26-30 lbs is about average?? Why do you choose the broadbreasted whites? Do your free range or are they penned up? I have found that with my pasture chickens I have a predator which might be a very large hawk that I saw today. I ordered 100 chicks and did not turn them out til they were 7 months old and only have 16 now. They have been picked off slowly. Now they are in a large pen and neither of us are happy about that. Sorry for so many questions but I want to do this with OUT any losses.

Hugs and prayers, Daizy

Daizy #1093
Go to Top of Page

Daizy
True Blue Farmgirl

992 Posts

Daizy
Talladega Alabama
USA
992 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2013 :  3:48:49 PM  Show Profile
I order from the same hatchery and have been very happy with them.

Daizy #1093
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2013 :  6:44:37 PM  Show Profile
butcher weight is somewhat what you want, I can let them grow alittle longer for larger toms and hens, but you have to make sure their legs can continue to hold the weight...broadbreasted are , for lack of a better word, designed to be larger and meatier, they are calm/docil and generaly the toms never argue...all my poultry is penned, in very large outdoor areas (60/75 x 75/100) along with a shaded, semi enclosed area, I also have heavy wire for the top of the open areas, cause we have bobcats, fox and coyotes, I had a stray paqck of dogs several years back dig into my turkey pen and kill 23 of them, so now all of my poultry pens also have dig wire which goes 2 inchs under the dirt flat inside and out, plus 2 ft straight down, and not even the rodents have figured out how to dig in...never apoligize for asking questions, thats how we all learn...

Go to Top of Page

Daizy
True Blue Farmgirl

992 Posts

Daizy
Talladega Alabama
USA
992 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2013 :  04:38:18 AM  Show Profile
I think I like your set up. Is there any way I could get photos? You are in CA and I am in AL so we have some cold weather but its normally nice and hot during the summers. I have plenty of space so pens are no problem. I would also be interested in how you process the birds and any "tricks" you have for making that easier.

Hugs, Daizy

Daizy #1093
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2348 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2348 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2014 :  5:41:42 PM  Show Profile
I raise the broad-breasted whites mainly because I like the skin color after butchering. Sometimes with the colored breeds, the skin can retain dark pores. It doesn't really change the taste, I just don't like the look.

My turkeys are penned at night and allowed to roam a fenced half acre along with the chickens and ducks. They all get along and somehow end up in the right pens at night for me to close them up.

Through the years, I've tried all kinds of protection from the coons and coyotes. I have lost countless animals to both predators. The coyotes are awful. They would tear up even cyclone type fenced enclosures to get to my various birds and even my goats.

So, now I have double protection. They have their reinforced enclosed pens at night and the perimeter of the daytime roaming area is fenced with 6 ft fence. The 6 ft fence is wood posts, horizontal corral boards and welded wire attached.

I also got a LGD, livestock guardian dog, that lives in the fenced roaming area. The reason for not losing anymore animals may actually be attributed to the dog and not necessarily the fencing. That dog was the best thing I've done for my farm.

Turkeys wear me out on butchering day. I can butcher chickens all day but turkeys just about kill me. I can physically handle picking up a 40 pound dead bird by the legs and dunking them in the hot water. BUT, pulling it back out with the additional weight of the water is a different story. I have always had to have a helper help me pull it out and lay it on the table.

This year, I built a pulley and cable system that allowed me to hobble and chain the live bird on the ground, hoist it up into the air upside down, kill it and let it bleed out. The bird then could be lowered with the pulleys into the hot water and pulled out, feathers plucked and then transferred to a table for finishing the cleaning of the innards. I was so dang proud of myself! I was still dog tired that night but I got the job done.

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

Lexi Lavender
True Blue Farmgirl

92 Posts

Lexi
Bangor Maine
USA
92 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2015 :  09:31:34 AM  Show Profile
Hi all! The Livestock Conservancy has great explanations about heritage breeds so you can pick the one you want, plus they show you where to find animals in your area.
http://www.livestockconservancy.org/

Lavender Lexi; formerly Silverweed

A weed is just a plant that no one has found a use for yet...
Go to Top of Page
  Off the Grid/Homesteading Skills: Previous Topic Raising Turkeys Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page