Page: of 2

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13564 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13564 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2015 :  8:17:36 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
First of all, I just wanna say that I call it "arctic blonde"! :D No gray hair on my head . . . (ha, ha)

I spent most of my life with very STRAIGHT hair and I permed it for many years. My last perm was 4 years ago . . . as it grew out and I got my hair trimmed I discovered that my hair was starting to come in with some of its own wave! I've been told that it CAN happen as your hair texture changes with the "arctic blonde" and it CAN be more wavy or curly.

I also never wanted my ears uncovered, but in the last couple years I'm really enjoying shorter, more wavy UNPERMED hair and, as folks at church say, with "more spunk". Most of my "Arctic blonde" is at my temples and along nape of my neck but it is mixed in all over. I've had more compliments on my hair in the last year that EVER in my life!! (I'm 66 years young!) YAY!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6801 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6801 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2015 :  05:11:27 AM  Show Profile
"Arctic blonde" CeeJay, I love it. Been that way for quite a few years now. My hair was always straight and I stopped perming when it started breaking my hair off. Like you I notice a wave here or there, but mostly it just wants to flip on the ends.

Sara
FarmGirl Sister #6034 Aug 25, 2014

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

1010 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
1010 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2015 :  05:32:26 AM  Show Profile
I'm letting my hair go naturally grey after a few years of coloring it. I'm getting more compliments than I ever thought I would, which is very encouraging! It's beginning to look like it will be more white than grey, but time will tell. I have very spiralling curly hair that I stopped fighting awhile back, so now I'm a completely natural hair girl. What a relief!

Happy Day!
Peace in our hearts, peace in the world
Amy (Sister#6098) www.danaherandcloud.com

Go to Top of Page

michgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

148 Posts

Mary
Glendale WI
USA
148 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2015 :  06:54:06 AM  Show Profile
Yea Amy! It sounds like your hair is going to be gorgeous!
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2015 :  07:09:01 AM  Show Profile
Arctic Blonde! Wonderful. Last time I was at the salon, my stylist and I were talking about how long it had been since I had colored and how all that was left was my natural hair. I said that I was very happy to NOT be dipping my head in toxic chemicals every 6 months and she about had a fit trying to shush me! ha ha ha "You're killing my business!" Better her business than my head.

Farmgirl #6318
"Where there's a will -- there's probably a family fight."
Go to Top of Page

RabbitGirl
Farmgirl in Training

47 Posts

Laura
St Augustine FL
USA
47 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2015 :  7:57:55 PM  Show Profile
I recently stopped coloring my hair too! I announced to the men in my office one morning that if they can have gray hair and still be respected, so can I! It is true that gray hair is coarser and drier plus my hair is also naturally curly so frizzies and dryness have always been an issue for me, especially in humid Florida. I try to shampoo as infrequently as I can get away with. I use a product called Kinky Curly shampoo, conditioner and leave in curl "custard" which really defines my curls and keeps them soft. They sell these products at Target in the African American hair products section but they work great on Caucasian hair too as long as you apply them sparingly. I absolutely love how so many of my farmgirl friends have declared Freedom From Hair Coloring - Long Live the GRAY HAIRS!

Laura
St Augustine, FL
Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

626 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
626 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2015 :  07:40:49 AM  Show Profile
Hmmm... I'm 32, and I've never colored my hair. Well, I had highlights ONCE in my early 20's. I've had some grays since high school, but since having kids the grays are coming in strong. I also have very dark hair. I mostly don't mind it, but I've also thought in the back of my head that I'd color it when I turn 35. Don't know why. It's just a number I thought sounded ok. I'm so on the fence about it because I have very long, very dark hair. It would be such a pain to keep up with. That's probably 50% of the reason I haven't done it yet. Now you all are making me reconsider ever dying my hair! Oh what to do....

Erin
Farmgirl #3762

"It is... through the world of the imagination which takes us beyond the restrictions of provable fact, that we touch the hem of truth." - Madeleine L'Engle

http://www.etsy.com/shop/femmepostale/
http://www.pinterest.com/femmepostale/
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

1010 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
1010 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2015 :  07:50:55 AM  Show Profile
Erin, since your hair is dark, there may be some natural alternatives to coloring. I know I read somewhere about tea rinse for hair coloring, it might have been on this forum somewhere. My hair is (was!) strawberry blonde so I never tried it. Might be worth looking into. :)

Happy Day!
Peace in our hearts, peace in the world
Amy (Sister#6098) www.danaherandcloud.com

Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2015 :  5:57:36 PM  Show Profile
Now that my hair is gray I just think of myself not as a "senior" but think of myself as an "experienced citizen".

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

626 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
626 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2015 :  06:12:22 AM  Show Profile
You know what Amy, I have thought about that before. There was a L'Engle book, I think Dragon in the Water, that had a character who used tea to color her hair. I read that book when I was pretty young, but I always remembered that part of it for some reason. Probably because her hair was dark like mine.

Erin
Farmgirl #3762

"It is... through the world of the imagination which takes us beyond the restrictions of provable fact, that we touch the hem of truth." - Madeleine L'Engle

http://www.etsy.com/shop/femmepostale/
http://www.pinterest.com/femmepostale/
Go to Top of Page

Quiltwright
True Blue Farmgirl

346 Posts

Cristy
LAKE HAVASU CITY AZ
USA
346 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2015 :  5:47:20 PM  Show Profile
I got my first gray hair at 14, started coloring in my 20's, and continued until around 50. What a mistake! The best thing I ever did to my hair was to stop the chemical process. The skunk look lasted awhile, but the final removal of the dyed hair was awesome and I'm proud of my platinum hair.
Go to Top of Page

blackantsnpeonys
True Blue Farmgirl

151 Posts

Denise
Hinckley Illinois
USA
151 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2015 :  7:16:30 PM  Show Profile
I too have gone grey over the past year. All natural. What do you suggest for a natural shampoo that brightens the gray? Lemon, vinegar? This is all new to me.

Creative, spontaneous, artistic, adventurous, wife, mother, grandma! Up for just about anything. Enjoying life. Blessed.
Go to Top of Page

blackantsnpeonys
True Blue Farmgirl

151 Posts

Denise
Hinckley Illinois
USA
151 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2015 :  7:06:10 PM  Show Profile
If your hair is finer like mine now that I'm silver headed, always rinse hair with cool water. It helps. I too went gray last year. Vinegar is also a good rinse now and again. Wishing you many good hair days.

Creative, spontaneous, artistic, adventurous, wife, mother, grandma! Up for just about anything. Enjoying life. Blessed.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farmgirl Fashion: Previous Topic gray hair question Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page