Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Off the Grid/Homesteading Skills
 Lost art skills wish list
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Off the Grid/Homesteading Skills: Previous Topic Lost art skills wish list Next Topic
Page: of 3

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2013 :  11:24:34 PM  Show Profile
If you could learn some of the homesteading skills like butter making, jam and jelly, homemade bread, tatting, darning, etc, what have you learned or want to learn in the future? And to step this up a bit, what contemporary homesteading skills would complement this, for example, using technology to develop skills to live off the grid. For instance, solar cooking, solar panels, etc What skills could benefit the up coming generations in this area? I personally would like to braid a large rug, learn to use a smoker to smoke meat, and make an earth oven for outside cooking.

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2013 :  1:09:07 PM  Show Profile
I'd like to learn how to use a spinning wheel. For contemporary skills I'm trying to find out all about backyard chickens. And permaculture.
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead O'Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

sherone_13
True Blue Farmgirl

2460 Posts

Sherone
Evanston WY
USA
2460 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2013 :  4:21:41 PM  Show Profile
definitely tatting and spinning.

Sherone

Farmgirl Sister #1682

Thirty-One Independent Consultant

www.mythirtyone.com

My Blog

www.annapearlsattic.blogspot.com

My Etsy

www.etsy.com/shop/annapearlsattic

Women are angels. When someone breaks our wings, we just jump on our broomsticks and fly! We are flexible that way!
Go to Top of Page

GirlwithHook
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Alyce
Madison WI
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2013 :  4:26:39 PM  Show Profile
Tatting and weaving, canning. Solar cooking, too! I'm already pretty good at spinning and bread making...have made butter, although not lately.

A hook, a book, and a good cup of coffee....
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2013 :  7:12:34 PM  Show Profile
I would like to learn to spin. I already know how to weave but do not have room for a large loom. I want to get a four harness table loom like we had in the weaving class I took in college. I live in an apartment so it is difficult to build anything permanent such as an earth oven or a solar oven. I would love to have a minihouse full of my own things and enough to live on through all the seasons.

Marie, Sister #5142

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

Cissik
True Blue Farmgirl

578 Posts

Sylvia
Kent WA
USA
578 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2013 :  3:26:10 PM  Show Profile
Weaving would be great to learn. I'd like to smoke meat. My goal is to get a smoker and use it a lot. It's on my bucket list!

Sylvia
Kent, WA
Farm Girl #5389
http://vintagehousegoods.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2013 :  3:37:01 PM  Show Profile
Oh goodness! I've got so many. Weaving, cheese making, building a smoke house, tatting, tanning, I've always wanted to plant a hedgerow and learn to make a dry stone wall, wood carving, furniture making, hand pottery, basket weaving and many more. I REALLY want to build a cob house! It looks absolutely fun.

You must do the thing you think you cannot do
-Eleanor Roosevelt

Annika
Farmgirl & Sister #13

http://thegimpyfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
http://pinterest.com/annikaloveshats/

Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2013 :  11:49:38 AM  Show Profile
this is a hard one for me since I have done so many of the things you all have talked about but for me I would like to know how to dig & set up a well, build a smokehouse (which I may be doing next year cause someone stole our smoker) & learn to soft tan hides..oh & big one learn to blacksmith.

Chickens RULE!
hen #2622
theoldbatzfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2013 :  03:41:57 AM  Show Profile
Michele, what lost art did you enjoy learning the most and where did you find the most valuable info to learn?
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2013 :  03:54:21 AM  Show Profile
I would love, love, love to learn how to use a weaving loom. :)

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2013 :  9:48:03 PM  Show Profile
Hi kem, great questions...I'd have to say the one I still love to this day is making old fashioned lye soap..i buy the fat at the area farm & render it myself & 2 yrs ago taught myself to make wood ash lye, since 1983 I had used the lye you buy in the can. Now how I learned this & most of what I do is from either the old Mother Earth News mags & the foxfire books which are my favorite when it comes to learning some of the last arts. In Missouri at one time they published a small series of booklets about the old ways & years ago a friends elderly mother gave those to me & I just love them but for the life of me can't recall their names or where I even put them!..i like finding things on the web but I am old school & love to be able to read a book on how to do things.....

Chickens RULE!
hen #2622
theoldbatzfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2013 :  8:12:26 PM  Show Profile
Michelle, That is cool, making your own lye. I use to make soap witj my friend, I hated that when we would stir the water and lye together. It always seemed like there was always a bit of lye in the air and I could feel it on tongue, maybe I was just dreaming. I loved our homemade soap. I think I still have some, need to get it out and use it. I too always liked foxfire books and Mother Earth News. Been reading them since the 70s. Wow, that makes me feel old.
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4715 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4715 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2013 :  8:16:06 PM  Show Profile
I would love to have learned how to weave.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Chatty Wren
True Blue Farmgirl

65 Posts

Diane
Phillipsburg NJ
USA
65 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2013 :  09:02:48 AM  Show Profile
Spinning wool from my own sheep would be really great. You can even spin wool from dog fur, it's called 'Chiengora'. I've got a Shepherd/Husky mix that would be more than happy to give me all the fur I need! ;)

Blessings~Diane
http://abbyhannahvintage.com
Go to Top of Page

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2013 :  5:40:25 PM  Show Profile
I'd love to learn all of it. :)

Farmgirl Sister #3759

"There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"

"The things that matter most are not really things after all"
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2013 :  2:37:33 PM  Show Profile
My honey and I try to learn a new skill every year. Next year we will be venturing into Cheesemaking. We want to learn to smoke meats too. We have done a little bit but want to dive in more.

A neat website for building a smoker:

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/2008/01/building-cold-smoker-smokehouse.html

She has some wonderful recipes too! One of our favorites is brats with jalapeno slivers wrapped in bacon and grilled :)

I would also love to make a braided rug and learn to spin and knit more than a knit stitch ;)

Farmgirl Sister #5392

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon

http://amerryheartjournal.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Calicogirl on Nov 06 2013 2:39:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2013 :  6:47:05 PM  Show Profile
I want to learn to make boots and shoes. Wanted to learn for a long time. Guess I need to get to it one of these days.

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

DandeeRose
True Blue Farmgirl

1502 Posts

Alicia
Charlestown, IN
1502 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2013 :  11:31:14 AM  Show Profile  Send DandeeRose a Yahoo! Message
I would love to learn tatting! My hubby wants to make soap, starting with his own lye. Sometime we plan to try it! I hope to teach myself to knit and crochet in 2014. I'd love to have an earth oven, too!!!

Many Blessings- Alicia #5232
http://dandeelionrose.blogspot.com/

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Go to Top of Page

Catherine L
True Blue Farmgirl

408 Posts

Cathy
Newton Texas
USA
408 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2013 :  10:08:12 AM  Show Profile
I like Sharon's idea to try one new thing a year. I have a list a mile long, but don't get any of it learned because I don't set a goal. So, I want to learn to cook in a solar oven and will do it this next year

~Cathy~
Farmgirl 2428 http://www.my-fairhaven.blogspot.com/
http://adaywithnonnaandboompa.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2013 :  05:32:17 AM  Show Profile
Cathy, I really have had fun with my solar oven. I do not have it perfected but have baked potatoes, made meat loaf, tried muffins (didn't like the texture), made rice, and cookies. It does get hot and will do the job, just takes longer.
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2013 :  05:34:43 AM  Show Profile
Something I would that came up would be for me to start making our own laundry and dishwasher soap. Anyone have a tried and true recipe they want to share? I am about out of both and it is getting soooo expensive in the store.
Go to Top of Page

Dapple Grey Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

725 Posts

Betty
Goodrich Texas
USA
725 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2013 :  06:39:27 AM  Show Profile
For this next year I want to learn to Tat and make butter. In April our dairy goats will be kidding and that is when I plan to use some of the milk and make butter. Our herd is up to 17 now. That will be a lot of milk to work with! :)

~ Betty ~
Go to Top of Page

sjmjgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

566 Posts

Stephanie
Mt. Vernon Iowa
USA
566 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2013 :  6:43:39 PM  Show Profile
Kem,
There are many recipes on the internet, but I like the Duggar version myself. I have yet to try another version just because I know for sure I like this recipe. Here it is:

1 bar Fels-Naptha (grated)
1 cup Washing Soda
1/2 cup Borax

Place grated soap in a sauce pan and cover with hot water (as hot as your faucet will go). Stir continually over medium/low heat until soap completely dissolves.**Do NOT stop stirring, unless you want a huge mess all over your stove! Place liquid in a clean 5 gallon bucket. Add washing soda and borax and stir until completely dissolved. Fill bucket with hot water (again, as hot as your faucet will go)and stir thoroughly. Cover tightly with lid and let sit overnight. Stir thoroughly the next day (the soap will be some what gel like before you stir it) and place in empty jugs (I use empty laundry detergent jugs, but whatever you choose is fine). Shake well before using. I use one detergent bottle capful per load.
If you want the soap to have scent, you can add essential oils or do as I do and add about 1/3 bottle of Purex Crystals to the bucket before you put it into separate jugs.
Also, the soap will have little to no suds and will be watery. This is normal.

You can also go to www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com for other laundry detergent recipes and a recipe for DIY dishwasher detergent. I personally have never tried the DIY dishwasher recipe, but I've heard good things, so I may have to give it a try!

Farmgirl Sister # 3810

Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly.
- Dalai Lama

April is Autism Awareness month. Autism affects 1 in 88 children (1 in 54 boys, including my son). Go to http://www.autismspeaks.org/ to learn more and help Light It Up Blue on April 2nd!

Farmgirl Sister # 3810

Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly.
- Dalai Lama

April is Autism Awareness month. Autism affects 1 in 88 children (1 in 54 boys, including my son). Go to http://www.autismspeaks.org/ to learn more and help Light It Up Blue on April 2nd!

Edited by - sjmjgirl on Dec 20 2013 6:49:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

KD Earthwork
True Blue Farmgirl

210 Posts

Katie
Gualala Calif.
USA
210 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2014 :  10:01:34 PM  Show Profile
We have been building a homestead for the last nine years and what I need to learn more about is numerous. Really repairing things and construction is the biggest item I'm afraid of and i need to challenge myself to learn. I'm really good at contracting and designing the work. Even pretty good at figuring out how to pay for it. My financial skills to help support all our independent enterprises could use more boosting and my computer skills to advertise our website and communicate about our farm products is not current enough.
These might not seem to be the skills you'd think of but it's what I've found to be the most useful to learn. We grow and put up most of our food year round living in California. Our brick oven has started a sourdough, naturally leavened bread baking business. We can also smoke meats in it. We live off grid and I understand some about the solar system now. I've gotten much better at barter and trade and was quite proud to help put the electrical in a building last year. We had a cob workshop here and we all helped create a building using the materials we had here. We also have cut and milled our trees for our house and buildings..

Knowing how to do upholstery and finer sewing would also be helpful. I spin and weave, knit, crochet. But I can't imagine needing to depend on just that for clothing... Braiding rugs would be fun and useful to learn as well.

Homesteading needs hardworking ethics and the ability to manifest.

http://www.rosemancreekranch.com
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2014 :  12:45:42 PM  Show Profile
I want to make lye soap from scratch.

I want to use a solar oven.

I want my kids to learn iron work (I personally don't want to, but my kids are fascinated by it!).

I want to learn to use a treadle-I love sewing. This one is probably going to come to fruition with in the next two years!

knitting-again with in the next year probably.

I already know how to tat, make my own butter and jam. I LOVE doing all of them! I actually was like my kids, I knew what I wanted from very little. I went to a old history museum when I was little and seen tatting and knew that was for me, bought myself a learn to tat kit and taught myself. My kids are 2, 3, and 7. The 7 year old is a GIRL, and wants to learn iron work! We went to our local libraries winter festival a few weeks ago and they had men doing iron work outside (it was freezing outside, but those hot hot fires were keeping people warm!). And she wants to! It was only men showing it of course at the fair, but maybe when she grows up she will be a woman for other little girls to watch doing it!

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

BoldTurquoise
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

MacKenzie
WA
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2014 :  11:59:23 PM  Show Profile
While I already do many things (bread baking with my own mill, knitting, crochet, sewing) I would like to just be more consistent with doing them! Others on my priority list to learn are: REALLY gardening (to last us all year), canning, cheesemaking, embroidery, spinning, soapmaking from scratch and I want to milk a cow! Hahaha! I don't really want my OWN milk cow, but I want to milk one!

Mama to 3 (so far). Homemaker. Homeschooler. Blogger. Doula.
A suburban girl tackling a country life! Be bold and gracious! http://boldturquoise.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Off the Grid/Homesteading Skills: Previous Topic Lost art skills wish list Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page