Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 yeast infection and at home treatments
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic yeast infection and at home treatments Next Topic
Page: of 2

Morgana_Le_Fae
True Blue Farmgirl

82 Posts

t
SJ CA
USA
82 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2013 :  6:09:51 PM  Show Profile
Ok so I'm curious what works at home for yeast infections and what DOES NOT.I have heard of apple cider vinegar douches/"baths",povidone-iodine douches,garlic clove "tampons",natural yogurt "tampons".Now I have used the first two as a way to stop the itching and burning and they work.But I have used those along with VH essentials inserts.What have you tried that has worked?..And what have you tried that has NOT worked?..

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2013 :  6:43:01 PM  Show Profile
Douche with liquid chlorophyll, silver and probiotics works wonders. Oral probiotics taken regularly will help too.

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

True enlightenment is nothing but the nature of one's own self being fully realised-- His Holiness the Dali Lama

www.madameapothecary.com
Go to Top of Page

Morgana_Le_Fae
True Blue Farmgirl

82 Posts

t
SJ CA
USA
82 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2013 :  7:23:22 PM  Show Profile
what is chlorophyll sliver?
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2013 :  7:31:07 PM  Show Profile
In college I used plain yogurt slightly watered down so that it pours slowly and placed in a vaginal antibiotics inserter wand. I did that every night before I went to bed as soon as the symptoms started and continued for three days after I stopped itching.

My infections were because of may high blood sugars. I have Type I Diabetes. I changed my diet and got my blood sugars in control. Now I never have yeast infections.

Try everything once. The fun things try twice.
Go to Top of Page

Morgana_Le_Fae
True Blue Farmgirl

82 Posts

t
SJ CA
USA
82 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2013 :  7:59:05 PM  Show Profile
what else medical wise can cause chronic yeast infections?.
Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2013 :  5:31:35 PM  Show Profile
Liquid chlorophyll is an awesome supplement that comes from the chlorophyll made by plants. It has a nice minty taste/smell to it. Silver is your colloidal or preferably nano silver. I have used them in the past. Chronic yeast infections are generally due to too much sugar in your system causing an overgrowth of the yeast...they love sugar. Cutting sugar will help tremendously as will increasing your probiotic rich foods/drinks. There are some medications that can cause yeast infections with antibiotics being the biggie.

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

True enlightenment is nothing but the nature of one's own self being fully realised-- His Holiness the Dali Lama

www.madameapothecary.com
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2013 :  6:39:24 PM  Show Profile
That's what I was going to say, Rachel - sugar. And you know that it's not just sugar itself. Other things turn to sugars during the digestive process. If you consume a lot of starches, that could cause the problem as well because they break down into sugars. Diet could have an awful lot to do with it, even when you think you're on top of things. Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

bloomingnest
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Sabrina
Fort Walton Beach Florida
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2013 :  8:06:55 PM  Show Profile
I used Lavender and Melaleuca (Tea Tree) Oil. I use doTERRA essential oils. I'm sure just the lavender or just the melaleuca would be fine too I mixed about 2 Tablespoons of coconut oil with the 1-2 drops each of the essential oils and soaked a tampon in the mixture. I used coconut oil because it's antibacterial and antifungul and VERY soothing. Kind of took the sting out of the essentials. I don't remember doing this for more than 2 days. I was very relieving even with the first application. I was SO thankful it worked!

"Live simply so that others may simply live."
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2013 :  8:21:05 PM  Show Profile
The most enlightened advice for women in 2013 is not to douche, ever.

Sometimes you need to break down and go with modern medicine. If you are 100% sure that what you have is a yeast infection, go to a drug store and buy yourself a tube of Monistat. Follow the directions. If the symptoms don't go away, you need to bite the bullet and see a doctor. Go to a free clinic if you have to.

Some things that can cause chronic yeast infections are (1) wearing confining clothing, such as tight blue jeans; (2) wearing panties made of something other than 100% cotton, or at least that have a cotton crotch; (3) a diet heavy in carbs and refined sugar; and, (4) stress.
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2013 :  9:14:53 PM  Show Profile
Diet is essential to controlling yeast in one's system. When I was in college just one glass of bear would start it up.

I agree that it is good to see a doctor if it doesn't clear up.
Go to Top of Page

Morgana_Le_Fae
True Blue Farmgirl

82 Posts

t
SJ CA
USA
82 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2013 :  9:16:46 PM  Show Profile
Well I tried monistat and I ended up running a fever when I used it so ya not trying that again..and douching every once in a awhile is ok it's over doing it that causes the most problems..I have tried a free clinic and the people that worked there made me feel..well uncomfortable.I hate tight clothes so I wear kaftans (moo moos lol) and dresses..panties were never things I really like my family always got them 2 sizes to small when I was little but I only buy cotton they are the best!.I have cut out a lot of sugar from my diet and have lost 10lbs yay..and stress is alway around lol..any other ideas?..and rosemary while modern medicine is good I prefer having back ups in case of a emergency where one not might be able to see a doctor..plus I kinda want to know cuz I will be moving to the UK soon and will end up being a private patient for a good 2 years so anyway I can cut cost where I can..lol I know not very smart but hey need to be ready for hard times.and thank you everyone for your input!
Go to Top of Page

Morgana_Le_Fae
True Blue Farmgirl

82 Posts

t
SJ CA
USA
82 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2013 :  9:17:46 PM  Show Profile
one glass of bear?..thats a new one never heard of that one before ;)..
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2013 :  5:23:37 PM  Show Profile
Yes, beer has yeast in it and it is a carbohydrate. Every time I drank one, my area smelled like freshly baked bread. My bloods sugars are do high that it wasn't too surprising.

I have looked this condition up in my natural healing book. It says that one should see a doctor when there is itching or burning in the vaginal area or when there is an unusual vaginal discharge. It suggests different therapies:

Food Therapy - Stop eating fermented foods such as refined sugars, breads and other baked goods, alcohol, caffeine and vinegar. East one to two cups of acidophilus-containing yogurt everday for three or four days. This will reduce the yeast infection.

Hydrotherapy - To prevent the yeast infections from recurring, wash between the anus and the vagina every time the toilet is used. Keep a quart-size jar of plain water with two to three tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in it. Use this to rinse the genital and anal areas after urination or a bowel movement. This protects the natural acid balance in the area.

Juice Therapy - To speed the healing of yeast infections and recurrences drink daily doses of cranberry or black berry juice. Use unsweetened cranberry concentrate. Bottled juices are loaded with sugar and even fresh juices have natural sugars. Dilute the natural juice half and half with water. nothing prevents yeast overgrowth as well as garlic. Juice a clove of fresh garlic and add it to vegetable juices.

vitamin and Mineral Therapy - Take between 500 and 2000 milligrams daily in supplement form. Yeast grows better in an alkaline environment and vitamin C is acidic so it help to reduce the yeast.

I hope this gives some good, useable alternatives for you.

Marie

Go to Top of Page

Morgana_Le_Fae
True Blue Farmgirl

82 Posts

t
SJ CA
USA
82 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2013 :  9:07:58 PM  Show Profile
ya I cant live with out my bread and no one takes my vinegar away from me lol..never heard of hydrotherapy thats new to me..I take cranberry tablets (pills) I have heard of a clove of fresh garlic being used like a tampon and even eating it raw or with bread.but never in juice..got any suggestions on what one it would be best paired with ;)..ok I have multivitamins so all set..great tips churunga!.and I dont drink beer..I prefer ciders and flavored vodka lol.dont really drink tho so xD.
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2013 :  6:59:57 PM  Show Profile
Linda, if you're going to be in the UK for a couple of years, you may be able to access good health care there. You'll also be pleased to learn that herbal medicine has a lot more prestige there than it does here, meaning that "regular" doctors respect herbal treatments and are often trained in their use.

If Monistat didn't do the trick for you, it may be that what you have isn't a simple yeast infection. It could be Chlamydia, Trichomoniasis, Bacterial Vaginosis or any number of other vaginal problems. Any of them can lead to much worse if you don't get them treated. Do not screw around with this, seriously. There are herbal remedies for some of these problems, but remember, most herbal medicines don't work like modern prescription medicine. They're meant to be used gently, over a longer period of time, to help create conditions that will allow your own body to heal itself. Some, like the active cultures in yogurt, can be helpful, but some, like making a tampon out of garlic, may actually irritate the membranes and make an established condition worse.

Whoever is telling you that douching is okay occasionally is probably confused. You'll only escape damage from douching if your vagina is already in perfect condition, but it will not help if you have an infection. It makes things worse. Sorry to be blunt about this. I claim the privilege of an old lady with plenty of experience in these issues, and recent experience, too, not something dating back to when hippies roamed the earth! ;)

Edited by - Rosemary on Sep 18 2013 7:04:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2013 :  7:05:29 PM  Show Profile
Marie, your advice is good. Thanks for posting it.
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2013 :  7:21:44 PM  Show Profile
Some flavored vodka contain sugar; research your favorite brand online to see which kind it is. Bread is high in carbs, which convert to sugar (some more slowly than others, which is why you want as much fiber in/with carbs as possible, to slow the conversion down a bit), and unless it's unleavened, it also contains yeast. Do eliminate these things from your diet if you think you have a yeast infection. Just to make things even more maddening, a lot of nice healthy fruit is higher in sugar than you want, especially if taken in juice form without the advantage of the natural fiber contained in the raw fruit. You can't go wrong with blueberries, though -- unless you sprinkle sugar on them as I'm always tempted to do!
Go to Top of Page

Morgana_Le_Fae
True Blue Farmgirl

82 Posts

t
SJ CA
USA
82 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2013 :  9:16:35 PM  Show Profile
I have been douching with acv and pee warm water and it stops the itching and burning but then I only use it when I feel really well itchy and it does work..and I dont like the idea of down there smelling like garlic so I soo would not use that one lol..I dont drink alot and most of my perfered drink comes from the uk so limited to no supply of drink here lol..and it's not that monistat did not work it helped for sure it's just I had a bad reaction to it which I hear some people do have.I maybe able to get some kind of medical cover in the UK but honestly I rather save my money so I can buy something I want/need..like some cast iron cookware!..great to cook with and double as great weapon xD.

Edited by - Morgana_Le_Fae on Sep 18 2013 9:18:14 PM
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2013 :  9:42:18 PM  Show Profile
Still Linda, Mara is correct that the condition may be caused by something other than a yeast infection. As least see a doctor and get a professional diagnosis. I do not believe in sticking anything in my self (except you know what occasionally). I would not use tampons or douce at all until the condition is resolved. The remedies I posted can be used concurrently and are generally good for general vaginal health. Please get a proper diagnosis and procede from there.

Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2013 :  06:30:58 AM  Show Profile
Linda, please get your priorities straight.
Go to Top of Page

Morgana_Le_Fae
True Blue Farmgirl

82 Posts

t
SJ CA
USA
82 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2013 :  08:29:07 AM  Show Profile
I know what I have churunga and my priorities are straight rosemary.when people dont have money people dont go to doctors plain and simple.I dont go because I cant afford to go and when I finally can afford to go over here in the usa the wait for the closest doctor to me is a month long and you know what she does when you see her..she either tells you your fine or its normal or if you on government health puts you on antibiotics for years even when nothing is wrong with u..So I rather stick to "old" at home treatments and using over the counter treatments..maybe I'm stupid but I thought maybe the farmgirl sisterhood would also try to show natural health and healing stuff to one extant.which some have and thank you..but most keep pushing doctors and I'm not a big fan of them anyway because I have been misdiagnosed before and have been given meds that I really should have never been given..
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2013 :  08:35:54 AM  Show Profile
Linda, I was referring to what you said about preferring to save up for iron cookware over your health care needs. Sorry if I offended you.
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2013 :  08:42:45 AM  Show Profile
Linda
I apologize for sounding insensitive. I just worry about your health. If you ever want to have children the health of this area cannot be ignored.

Love and hugs.
Go to Top of Page

Morgana_Le_Fae
True Blue Farmgirl

82 Posts

t
SJ CA
USA
82 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2013 :  09:30:37 AM  Show Profile
no u did not offend me rosemary but it's true I rather have iron cookware I don't find it a waste of money like going to a doctor most of my health issues are simple and repeat themselves every 6 months or so and I have managed to deal with them at home and within a matter of a few days they are cleared up..I will how ever be going down to a few stores to see if they have a over the counter oral med for a yeast infection ( I know they have one in the uk and it works great)..churunga your not sounding insensitive and I'm surprised someone would worry about my health..I do want kids but at this point my fiance still don't want kids (we are both in our mid to late 20's) and I feel like a old mare that needs to be put to pasture lol..my problem is I'm a stubborn mule and I like the idea of helping myself.I live in a small 1 bedroom 1 bath rented place with both of my parents who are fighting cancer and other issues so with rent and regular bills and meds ect that we sometimes have to pay for we normally only have a few bucks left over that's why I turned half of the yard into a fenced garden so I can grow as much as I can so we dont have to buy it.thats why I ask the questions I ask because I have to live on very little and cant afford a doctor.and I dont want any doctor debts to pay off by going to a ER.
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2013 :  1:56:28 PM  Show Profile
Linda,

I understand.

Marie, Sister #5142

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

Morgana_Le_Fae
True Blue Farmgirl

82 Posts

t
SJ CA
USA
82 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2013 :  2:21:55 PM  Show Profile
I love your little signature by the way!.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic yeast infection and at home treatments Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page