Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Nifty Thrifty
 How did you save money this week?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic How did you save money this week? Next Topic
Page: of 31

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2016 :  09:24:06 AM  Show Profile
We shall see, Kem... I made banana nut muffins this morning, using the convection option for the first time! WOW! It really did cook at 25 degrees lower for 2/3 of the time! I also read the manual cover to cover this morning - it has a special energy saver feature, which is pretty cool. And it has a Sabbath option. I had heard of that before, but didn't know what it was. Very neat, indeed! They think of everything nowadays! There are actually quite a few different features the guy didn't tell me about... I am thrilled!

I actually looked my stove up online yesterday... It was originally priced at $1098. I couldn't figure out why it was at the outlet, because it was perfect to me. My son said there is a very small dent on the side, which was virtually unnoticeable. And I found a "refurbished" tag when I removed one of the burners. I don't know what they refurbished, but it doesn't matter to me! It looks and runs as good as new! I wouldn't have known any different had I not found the tag! For $588 in savings off the original price, I'll take refurbished!!!

Now I just have to save up again for a fridge... That also is starting to fail us, but I can stretch it out, and will definitely call the repair guy first, when the time comes.

It's so hard to save, isn't it? But oh my gosh, when you put your nose to the grindstone and just do it, every penny helps when the emergency arises!

I am wondering... We have a little less than a year before my hubby goes on Medicare... Does anyone have any insight with regards to the supplements? I think I've got a good grasp on which one will be best for him (that was my job at one time), but I want to be sure I'm covering all the bases.

When that time comes, I'll be choosing an insurance plan for our son and I as well. I almost fell over when I saw the costs! When I left the workplace, about 20 years ago, coverage cost about 1/3 of what it does today. This is going to be such a budget killer. When I added up the cost of the plan, plus the deductible, the prescription costs and other medical copays, and compared to our potential plan usage, the whole thing will cost us, personally, almost $1200 per month! Yes, we will qualify for a tax credit at tax time, but that will not help much on a monthly basis. I am extremely concerned - I cannot afford that! It almost feels like self-pay would be the best option, but with my heart condition and pacemaker, I need the insurance coverage. I looked into one of those exchange-type insurance plans, and it seems to be a very good idea, but I am leery because it is such an unusual alternative - does anyone have any experience with that?

Life... What a thing, huh? Grandma always said, "It's a great life if you don't weaken!" And how!!!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2016 :  11:47:58 AM  Show Profile
Nini, I have two friends that use the exchange-type ins. I will ask them for the names of the company/companies. I think are very satisfied. Much cheaper for sure. My husband and I are farmers and pay over $1200 out of pocket monthly. I think it is a big scam, it should not cost that much.
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2016 :  5:36:50 PM  Show Profile
Thank you so much, Kem. This really helps. I received that link you sent as well - very much looking forward to it!

I guess it just blows me away that insurance can cost more than a mortgage, you know? I am so grateful to have the health care coverage, truly, because when we got sick, it was a godsend. But I keep looking at the EOBs and I am just not yet convinced that this is a viable option for my son and I. We had an issue with my husband's coverage last week. The doctor ordered a test that the insurance company denied (initially). After many phone calls and the doctor preparing to argue his case for the test, I ended up calling the hospital to find out what it would cost out of pocket. I don't have money like that to throw around, but let's face it, if you need a test and it's serious enough, you don't want to wait around for an insurance company to approve it. My husband life could be at stake here! The hospital gave me a "gasp" figure for the test, and told me that the technician's bill would be separate. I was really blown away, and asked if there was any type of payment plan available if I had to pay it out of pocket. The lady at the hospital got really quiet and whispered in the phone that, should my husband have the test and the claim is denied, the hospital will work out a plan with me. First they give you a pretty decent discount on the service, and then they work out a payment plan that will fit your budget and meet their minimum. I took the information she gave me, and I'll be darned, it was a LOT less than I expected, and I could fit it into my budget if I have to. As chance would have it, the doctor's office contacted the insurance, and they had reconsidered the procedure without any type of case being presented by the doctor - it was now approved! Thank GOD for that! But I'll tell you, doing it this way, if it were me or our son, it would be a heck of a lot less than the $1200 a month if we were paying directly for insurance - much less than $14,400 a year! I guess you just have to shop around and know your costs, right? And I can't go without coverage because of my pacemaker... I'll be due for an upgrade in a couple of years... Don't want to be disqualified by not having insurance now, you know?

I will definitely check out that link... Thanks so much, again!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2016 :  1:30:50 PM  Show Profile
I used a coupon I got in the mail from Target for $5 off purchase of $10 or more towards a couple of Burts Bees Lip Balm sets. They were on sale for $9.99 each and I got a $5 Gift Card for buying 2.

Now I have two really nice stocking stuffers for a couple of the gals on my list! And I'll head back to Target tomorrow to use the $5 GC! I have another possible killer deal with coupons lined up - but the store may be out of the item I'm trying to get - so we'll see! :)
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2016 :  6:56:10 PM  Show Profile
Smart, smart, smart, Jaime! You GO girl!!! :) Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

AutumnCountyGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

Kiersten
Suffolk Virginia
USA
102 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2016 :  7:13:44 PM  Show Profile
I used a coupon at my 7-11 for a free bag of chips as a snack when I purchased gas for my car. Not the healthiest snack but I saved a couple of dollars.

Kiersten
https://autumncountrygirl93.wordpress.com/
Farmgirl Sister #7232
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2016 :  12:41:18 PM  Show Profile
Ours was more of a how did we save money this month. Used wood instead of our furnace until the 21st of Nov. I figure we saved a good portion on our propane bill. Our cattle are very tame and were very curious about the whole deal. Actually, I am surprised they were not closer.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6809 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6809 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2016 :  1:23:23 PM  Show Profile
Nice herd, Kem. Always good to save money on any kind of fuel.

I saved $18 on meat in the marked down bin. Half off a leg of lamb and thick sliced bacon. Always wanted to roast leg of lamb but would never pay full price for it since I have only eaten and cooked lamb chops. It's marinating in the fridge to be cooked tomorrow. I used MJF Eastern Blend for the rub. Any hints on roasting leg of lamb will be welcomed.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2016 :  1:34:00 PM  Show Profile
I used a combination of Kohls cash and promo codes to order a cardigan and a nightgown for MIL for Christmas + a nice sweater for DS to wear to his Christmas concert + a EOS lip balm (will be someone's stocking stuffer) for $29.08 shipped! That felt good!

Also went to Yankee Candle and used a $10 off $10 purchase coupon to get a small jar candle for $0.99 - once again, stocking stuffer for someone! lol

Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2016 :  08:16:11 AM  Show Profile
Jamie, sounds like you hit the mother load!!!!! I would love to do all the coupon deals, but I get so confused. I hope to learn in the future. Of course, living where I do, my options are limited.
Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2016 :  06:13:48 AM  Show Profile
It was definitely a learning curve for me at first on coupons! I rely heavily on coupon blogs that practically gift wrap the deal ideas for me. The Kohls situation was great because it was all online! Of course I am STILL waiting on the items to arrive!

I also found a coupon for $10 off your $25 or more purchase for JC Penny (there is code for use online as well) that is good through 12/10. I used it to get a couple of 4-pc PJ sets for one of the families we are taking care of this Christmas.

If anyone wants the coupon link I can post it!
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13567 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13567 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2016 :  1:45:57 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Once again, I cut my own hair. I just can't come up with the $20 (minimum it seems) to go get it cut and then it be a crummy haircut.
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2016 :  8:21:45 PM  Show Profile
CeeJay, I cut my hubby's hair so I can justify going and getting mine cut. Mine is very very thick and I do thin it and trim it up, but need to go about every 2-3 months to get it reshaped. I hate spending the money, but my mom always tells me she can tell when I have not used my talented hair dresser to get it cut. I wish I looked good in long hair, I would just grow it out, bangs and all.
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13567 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13567 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2016 :  5:25:01 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Kem, I cut my hubby's hair too. Have for our entire marriage (48 years). I wear mine short (kinda pixie style) so it needs cut about every 20 months or so and it just seems like I usually get a crummy cut. But I'll probably go the next time it needs to get cut for the reshaping that you mention.
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6809 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6809 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2016 :  09:36:30 AM  Show Profile
Saved $22.50 grocery shopping today. What I am most proud of is the lamb chops and lamb roast in marked down bin for 1/2 off. Lamb is expensive here and only is available during holidays unless on special order. I bought both chops and roast. Will cook tomorrow and next week make lamb stew out of left over roast. Lamb stew is a favorite of mine.

I also saved money this month by not grocery shopping during the week of freezing weather and again during Christmas week. That's the easiest way for me to save money is to stay out of stores.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2016 :  4:50:06 PM  Show Profile
My sweetie & I have tiled 2 of our 3 bedrooms. We took a class at Home Depot to get the basics & confidence, bought a wetsaw and jumped right in. We finished the first room over Thanksgiving break, and the second just today. I'm wiped out & will sleep well. Knowing we saved a lot doing it ourselves is a great feeling.

Farmgirl Sister #6754
Doxie Mom - Everyone loves a Weiner!

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2016 :  4:50:46 PM  Show Profile
Plus we get 10% military discount at Home Depot.

Farmgirl Sister #6754
Doxie Mom - Everyone loves a Weiner!

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2017 :  11:28:55 AM  Show Profile
Got a great deal at Meijer today! They have all their clearance items at another 20% off the marked down price. Happened upon a bunch of candles that were marked way down. Really nice ones in glass jars, pretty labels, cork toppers. Made in USA! :) Got 7 of them in assorted sizes and scents!

For example, one of the large candles was originally $11.99, I got it for $2.14!!! The small 4 oz candles were only $0.63! Originally $7.99!

I always give candles at Christmas each year! They are a nice something extra to slip into gift baskets, boxes I am shipping, etc. They might even end up being what I give teachers aides next year! Into the Gift Closet they go!

Edited by - AuntJamelle on Jan 12 2017 11:29:24 AM
Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2017 :  11:35:58 AM  Show Profile
Totally forgot! Went to TN to visit family this past weekend and they have a very large used book/CD/DVD/Video Game store down there that we love and try to visit each time we go.

I found a section of holiday books and picked up...well...quite a few. I couldn't help myself! There were $0.50 each!!!!! Gooseberry Patch and Christmas with Southern Living - 50. Cents. SOLD!

I also got a copy of The Joy of Cooking for $3 - I've always wanted that one!

DS picked out several Dr. Seuss books from the kids section, all less than a $1. He's started reading them by flashlight at night after he "goes to bed" lol
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2017 :  7:59:54 PM  Show Profile
Hi girls!

Today we went to Sears. Their Christmas stuff is still on clearance, now marked 75% off, and that includes trees, lights, ornaments, decorations... but my favorite, most practical find was the WIRED RIBBON!!! I got different sizes, different fabrics... Silvers, golds, creams, blues... Silkies, satins, sheers, velours, meshes... Solids, sparkles, shimmers... My mind is just reeling with the possibilities of how I am going to be able to use them! What I love about this is that not all of the rolls have Christmas patterns, so they can be used not only for Christmas, but for other holidays (like Robin's egg blue shimmer for Easter), in home decor (wreaths, curtain trim, etc.), and for various crafts and gift wrapping. If you're a crafter or love to decorate, you know how expensive larger rolls of good quality ribbon can be. But at this sale, I really scored! I paid $2.49 for 75 foot rolls, and $1.75 for 21 foot rolls. They will last me for a very, very long time through sooo many different projects! SO worth the trip! (My foster daughter also picked up several ribbon rolls at Sam's Club for $2.49 a roll. She wants me to show her how to decorate her tree and wreaths with it next year!)

I also hit the grocery store, which probably seems odd. But they sell really thick rolls of wrapping paper for $2 at Christmas time. They're older patterns, but the paper is wonderful. I usually make my own out of white kraft paper, but the past couple of years, I just haven't had the time, so I scoffed up about 4 of them for 50 cents apiece. I also purchased four bags of 100 bows there for $.62 each (regularly $2.49 per bag), but I bought them not only in Christmas colors, but in those purple/pink/moire white colors so they can be sorted according to color and used for other holidays and celebrations like birthdays and weddings. We do recycle them at home, but the stock goes down when gifting to friends and family. At the moment, I'm pretty well set now for the next ten years! LOL!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2017 :  05:39:24 AM  Show Profile
EXCELLENT score, Ninibini!!! You hit the jackpot!

I am a sucker for wired ribbon myself! Have a whole tote full at home! After Christmas sales are a GREAT way to stock up! I also very frequently find new in the package rolls of it at garage sales for $0.25 or $0.50!

I also keep in mind the alternate uses for it - like using the blue or pink colors for Easter or birthdays!

I also try to pick up rolls of gift wrap that can be used for birthdays and weddings throughout the year. Red paper with white polka dots works well for birthdays and can be easily turned into a Mickey Mouse theme for a child.

White papers with silver designs works well for weddings or even baby showers when paired with a pastel ribbon and so on.

I have a TON of gift wrap supplies! But it all gets used eventually! I used up the last of the rolls I bought 7 years ago from LTD this year!

I also got some wired ribbon at Sam's this year! My rolls were down to $1.67 each! Couldn't believe it! It is a really pretty wide ribbon in a red/green pattern. I got 50 yards altogether and I think I'll swag our 12' Christmas tree with it this year!
Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2017 :  05:35:02 AM  Show Profile
I used two different 50% off coupons to get a couple of things at Joann's! Got a skein of yarn and some gift wrapping tape - total with tax for both was $5.08! Need the yarn for a project for DS's birthday party and have run out of gift tape with all the Christmas wrapping! Need to finish wrapping DS's birthday presents soon!
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2017 :  6:38:38 PM  Show Profile
So excited to hear we share a love of paper and ribbon, Jaime! COOL!!! Sometimes my guys tease me about it, but when the time comes, I'm always prepared! LOL!

Great Joann's score! You GO girl! And a Happy Birthday to your DS! I just love birthdays, don't you? ESPECIALLY when it comes to our kids! :)

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2017 :  05:29:55 AM  Show Profile
I do love birthdays! I'm excited since this is the first one for DS where we have a lot of kids his age to invite!

And yes, it is good to be prepared for any wrapping "emergency"! :)
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2017 :  4:13:16 PM  Show Profile
I saved money today by spending time at the library knitting/crocheting group. I also stayed afterward and did a jigsaw puzzle with a friend at the library. Instead of eating in town I just waited until mid afternoon to come home and eat. If I would have lived in town I could have walked to the library and made it a spend free day. I also picked up some yarn at the library that is donated for our group to make prayer shawls or lap throws for pastors in our town to give to chronically ill residents. We are traveling 4 hours tomorrow and 4 hours back in a couple of days so I will have tons of time to crochet and pass the time. Might even take a audio book I checked out and listen to it on the way. I need to be more mindful every day to find ways to engage in life without spending money. Tough, but can be done.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 31 Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic How did you save money this week? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page