Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Nifty Thrifty
 How did you save money this week?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic How did you save money this week? Next Topic
Page: of 31

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2016 :  06:20:38 AM  Show Profile
Jaime, what are your favorite coupon sites? I would love to find ones for shampoo, toilet paper, Burts Bees Lotion, coffee, and other essentials. Also would love to know if you match the ads up with your coupons to get deeper savings.
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2016 :  06:37:26 AM  Show Profile
We have been so warm here that we have not turned on our furnace yet. In NW KS that is unheard of. Enjoying the propane savings. I am hoping we can go until the middle of Nov. We do have a wood burning stove so can use that for a week or two and then I get lazy and revert back to the furnace. Speaking of which we are going out to cut wood today. First time this year. Nothing like waiting until the last moment. We do have some left from last year. We store our wood in an old metal grain bin. It work perfectly. I also store all of my garden tools, lawn furniture, and grandkid's outside toys in there also. Perfect place and dry.
Go to Top of Page

Needle
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

Judy
Kissimmee Florida
USA
287 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2016 :  07:32:47 AM  Show Profile
Nini, Love the chocolate syrup recipe! Can't wait to make it. Have you tried making your own real vanilla extract? So easy!. Just a bottle of vodka and 3 or 4 vanilla beans slit open. Put them in the bottle and store it in your pantry. Whenever you go in there for something, just shake the bottle up. 3 months later you have a very large bottle of vanilla! Beanilla.com is where I get my vanilla beans and they have the recipe as well.

Farm Girl Sister #6566

The road of life is made smoother when traveled with someone you love.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6809 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6809 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2016 :  07:52:52 AM  Show Profile
Judy thank you for the link to vanilla bean supplier. The last batch I made I used all my beans. I want the vanilla beans for extract and sugars.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

Needle
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

Judy
Kissimmee Florida
USA
287 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2016 :  08:33:57 AM  Show Profile
Sara, That's what sisters are for! LOL1 It's free shipping too! Try the vanilla extract. It's great!

Farm Girl Sister #6566

Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2016 :  06:38:47 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Cozynana

Jaime, what are your favorite coupon sites? I would love to find ones for shampoo, toilet paper, Burts Bees Lotion, coffee, and other essentials. Also would love to know if you match the ads up with your coupons to get deeper savings.

I highly recommend trying to find a coupon blog for the store you like to shop at. I usually go to Meijer and I use Meijer Madness - they do all the work for me. Matching sale to coupon - which is where you get the deeper discounts of course.

They list paper coupons, links to coupons you can print and opportunities to earn $ via Coupon Apps like Ibotta, etc.

Honestly, Coupons.com is the one I've used most. SmartSource is another one that I've sometimes used.

Some grocery stores like Kroger and Meijer also have digital coupon programs - and then Meijer has their own rewards program where you can sign up for a "reward" and if you spend X $'s in a certain time frame you get $ off your next purchase.

These days I am mainly using grocery and pharmacy rewards programs.

Watch for catalina coupons too, they print out in long skinny strips at the register. People leave them behind all the time and you can pick up good ones! Those and digital store coupons are where I see the most fresh produce or dairy or bread type coupons.

Burts Bees and other items like shampoo, etc. are going to be on coupons.com I think.

Another good site is Money Saving Mom - she has a Coupon Database. You just type in what you are looking for and she brings up a list of any matching coupons, either in the paper or ones you can print.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6809 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6809 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2016 :  08:37:53 AM  Show Profile
Grocery shopped today and saved $34.91 which was a savings of 20%.

Store brand green beans - cut, whole and Italian were 59 cents. Stocked up for winter soups, stews, and casseroles.

$3 on two pkgs thin sliced ribs for Annie - I like to give her a little bit of raw beef if not every day most days.

Go to Top of Page

Daizy
True Blue Farmgirl

992 Posts

Daizy
Talladega Alabama
USA
992 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2016 :  06:05:20 AM  Show Profile
Hay there.

I too went shopping and saved 10.00 with the Ibotta app on my phone and 4.50 with my Saving Star app. My Walmart Saving Catcher says I need to upgrade the app so I did not get to price match....yet.

I purchased a few things for Thanksgiving with the kids and also grabbed a few stocking stuffers for Christmas.

I made a huge pot of Sante Fe Soup and froze most of it for days that I don't have time to cook......keeps me from eating out or going without. I found a friend that had a tree cut off her fence line and she told me to come get it. She said she had the man cut it in to small fireplace pieces....saved on the cost of a load of firewood.

I have been considering butchering a bull instead of selling it for pennies. That will be two freezers full so I will have to borrow my sons freezer space. Still, that will save me tons at the meat department.

Eggs have begun to come in from the young flock so I will be selling those for 3.50 per dozen.....I had hoped to get 4.00 per dozen but times are tough here in my neck of the woods so I will settle for 3.50 til I can build my market base up.

Hmmmm......what else!!

Hugs and prayers, Daizy #1093
Poor House Farmgirl Chapter {A virtual chapter open to everyone.}
A good day is when you find ALL your ear tags! I wonder how my cows would like my Farmgirl apron??
www.poorhouseparadise.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6809 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6809 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2016 :  06:20:48 AM  Show Profile
Daizy, what a savings on firewood - happy for you.

Go to Top of Page

Daizy
True Blue Farmgirl

992 Posts

Daizy
Talladega Alabama
USA
992 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2016 :  6:16:15 PM  Show Profile
Hay there.

Yes....VERY happy me!!! I go thru the firewood coz its sometimes the only heat I use. I like the house cool and the fire roaring!! I did not get over to pick up the wood yet but if memory serves, it was a tall tree with some larger limbs. Should be a good amount of wood.. I will pick it up next week. I think the tree fell early spring so the wood may need to season a bit longer. I always do pasture clean up and get the deadfall and wind damage wood too. I like my fireplace!!

A good day is when you find ALL your ear tags! I wonder how my cows would like my Farmgirl apron??
Go to Top of Page

Needle
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

Judy
Kissimmee Florida
USA
287 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2016 :  03:35:31 AM  Show Profile
Got my coupons organized and went shopping. $10.00 saved at BJ's and $31.00 saved at Joann Fabrics. Whoo Hoo!!

Farm Girl Sister #6566

Go to Top of Page

Daizy
True Blue Farmgirl

992 Posts

Daizy
Talladega Alabama
USA
992 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2016 :  04:34:30 AM  Show Profile
Hay there.

I bought 2 sunday papers which have coupons in them. I have decided that if I don't find those coupons to be the ones I use that I wont be getting those papers again. I have to cut them out today but I have learned that if I buy things just because I have a coupon then I end up wasting money......coz I don't use the product!! Hope to pick up the firewood today.

Oh and I bought mixed greens seeds to plant once I get that raised bed finished. I will freeze those for winter meals.

Go to Top of Page

Needle
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

Judy
Kissimmee Florida
USA
287 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2016 :  11:04:12 AM  Show Profile
Daizy, I know what you mean. I do the same thing. I also use the Walmart Savings Catcher and Checkout 51 so that helps too.

Farm Girl Sister #6566

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2016 :  2:56:30 PM  Show Profile
Judy! YES! I DO make my own vanilla! I get my beans from Amazon, but I will definitely check out your site, too! SO cool to make, isn't it? I love homemade vanilla the best. This year I also made homemade Kahlua for the holidays for gifts and baking. It's time to strain it, so we shall see how that turned out! I love making everything myself. Next year I want to try making homemade almond and peppermint extracts, too. So super easy, and so much less expensive than store bought. If people only knew...

I just want to share with you girls: it pays to ask! Every year I wait for the corned beef to go on sale. I buy it in bulk and then can it to use in different dishes over the upcoming year. This year, however, the sale never came. I waited and waited, and my husband started to relish telling me I would never find a good deal on the meat. WELL, a couple of weeks ago, I noticed a few packages marked down in the case. They had the same expiration date as all the rest, they were the same cut... there was no difference at all. So I asked the butcher what was the deal. He checked over the packages and he couldn't figure it out. He asked if I was interested in buying more than the packages that were marked down. I told him if they were all marked down, I'd buy them all! He gave me a funny look, so I explained that I always buy on sale and then can it up for winter meals. He thought that was great - he hadn't ever heard of doing that before! He said the guy in charge was at lunch, but if I wanted to come back when I was done with my shopping, he would see what he could do for me. When I returned, he asked how many packages I wanted. I reiterated, "All of them." He came out with several packages from the back freezer that were marked down and ready go! They had left the unmarked packages in the case, and marked down and given me the ones they had in the back - with even later expiration dates! They were the same cut and everything! Apparently they didn't want to remove the unmarked-down packages from the bin and raise any eyebrows, so they took the "fresher" stuff out of the back and just marked down those packages for me! When all was said and done, I got "fresher" meat, saved over $130, and now have plenty to get us through until next year's sale! We will use it for Reubens, Reuben casseroles, quick boiled dinners, corned beef hash and more! How awesome is that?! So definitely ask!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

SheilaC
True Blue Farmgirl

1948 Posts

Sheila
Vermont
USA
1948 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2016 :  4:20:13 PM  Show Profile
Nini, talk to me about canning corned beef. Basically canning brisket with pickling spices? Or??

http://troutwife.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2016 :  5:09:12 PM  Show Profile
Okay... Super easy, Sheila. You just need to be sure to use a pressure canner:

I buy corned beef in the package and use the enclosed spice packet; but yes, you can do this with brisket and use pickling spices, if you want. You can can pretty much any meat in this way (below), you just would substitute fresh chicken or beef for the corned beef or brisket, and use a little salt instead of the spices, if you want. You don't really need to add anything at all, but the spices with the corned beef and salt with other meats infuse a little flavor during the pressure canning process.

First I put the corned beef in the freezer until it is partially frozen. This makes it SO much easier to remove all the fat. I know you can't remove all of it, but you do the best you can. Then I cut it into chunks - maybe 1 to 2 inches. The important thing there is to just keep it as uniform as possible.

Next, you will take smoosh down as much of the meat as you can into your clean jars to 1" headspace, trying to remove as many of the air pockets as you can. Don't worry if you don't get them all, just do the best you can. I'll explain in a minute.

Take the spice packet from the package the meat came in and divide it evenly among the meat-filled jars. If you don't have a spice packet, you can add 1/4 to 1/2 tsp picking spice instead (lesser amount for pint jars, greater amount for pint and one-half or quart jars).

NOTE: You do not need to add any water or pre-cook the meat at all - the meat will cook in the jar during the canning process and make its own juices to fill the jar.

Wipe the rims with a little vinegar water to remove any juice or debris.

Add your warmed lid and ring, twist finger tight. Place jars in your pressure canner.

When full, secure the lid and bring to a boil, releasing steam as per your canner's instructions (my canner requires 9 minutes of hard steam). Add the weight, using the correct pressure for your elevation (I need the 15 lb. weight where I live.). Heat until the weight rocks, then lower the heat slightly so that the weight rocks according to your canner's instructions.

At this point, start your timer. Process pints for 75 minutes, and pint and one-half or quart jars for 90 minutes. When you've completed the cooking time, turn off your canner and let cool completely.

When completely cool, carefully remove the canner lid, making sure it faces away from you so you don't scald yourself with the steam. Remove the jars to a cloth on the table (I have a silicone dish mat that works great!), and wait for the pinging.

Let sit in jars 24 hours, remove rings, wash jars and rings, dry, mark your lid with contents and date, and store.

Easy peasy, sister!

What I love about this is that the meat is all pre-cooked and you can eat it right out of the jar if you want. The meat shreds super easily, or you can leave it in chunks. If you prefer slices, I have never tried processing it in a big roast-type hunk, but I imagine there are instructions online out there where you can do that and slice it when serving.

Hope that helps!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

SheilaC
True Blue Farmgirl

1948 Posts

Sheila
Vermont
USA
1948 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2016 :  5:41:00 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Nini, I'm a big meat canner (venison, chicken, Turkey) I am just very interested in the idea of canning g corned beef, it's a great idea :)

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2016 :  8:40:56 PM  Show Profile
LOL! Oh, Sheila! I'm sorry! I misunderstood what you were asking! So glad I've got a meat-canning kindred spirit! Sure makes life easier at times, doesn't it?

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

SheilaC
True Blue Farmgirl

1948 Posts

Sheila
Vermont
USA
1948 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2016 :  8:45:26 PM  Show Profile
Nini, but I DO appreciate the suggestion about the corned beef! I will definitely be trying this :) Thanks! :) (and it IS nice to hear of someone else who cans meat! I think I'm the only person I know who does!) :) The freezer only has so much room...and I love that I don't have to thaw it to make a meal!

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2016 :  9:19:40 PM  Show Profile
You're welcome, Sheila!!! I love when we farmgirls share ideas! :)

I know what you mean... I'm the only one I know who does that, too! What I love is just pulling down a bunch of jars from the shelf and having a delicious meal ready as soon as it heats through! My favorite thing to do after a long day is to pour a jar each of stew beef (with juices), potatoes, and carrots into a pot, along with home dehydrated onions and spices, and let it simmer for about 20 minutes until heated through. I add a little bit of flour to make a gravy, and there you have it - instant hearty beef stew that tastes like it has been slow cooking all day! Talk about fast food! And THIS fast food is so much better for you, as well as less expensive! LOVE that! SO good!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

SheilaC
True Blue Farmgirl

1948 Posts

Sheila
Vermont
USA
1948 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2016 :  05:06:47 AM  Show Profile
mmmmm. Mine is chicken & dumplings or chicken & biscuits. Same scenario as you! :)

Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2016 :  10:00:40 AM  Show Profile
This past weekend we traveled to our daughter's which is 4 hours away. I knew we would have to eat on the way. So I decided to pack our lunch. We usually eat at a buffet because I have such bad food allergies and there is one on the way with great selection of fresh and cooked veggies and meat I can eat. BUT, last time we ate there they had raised their prices ALOT!!! Last time we will do that! I also take my own C-store cup and buy ice and tote our own water. Sometimes the ice is even free. Well, we saved money on the food, but spent it on some things that hubby needed for the farm. A trade off, but at least we saved on the food side. Food is soooo expensive anymore and by the time a person leaves a tip it is terrible. On the way home (daughter had to leave very early), we ate a little dive- mom/pop (I love it, called Neighbors, and been there forever.) place for breakfast and skipped lunch until we got home. Trying to learn and be more disciplined. Slowly, but surely.
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2016 :  1:48:15 PM  Show Profile
Hi girls!

Well, our bi-/tri-annual Thanksgiving stove breaking drama hit us once again! I was baking pies and suddenly the digital readings on the stove started going wonkey in the middle of baking two pumpkin pies. The service tech told us we could replace the circuit board for between $250 - $300 or buy a new one. I could've saved money and done that, but he said because I use my stove and oven so frequently, I should really consider just buying new (no, he doesn't sell them). He said I use my stove and oven too much, that today they are just not made for that kind of use (I do everything homemade from scratch, and I do my canning, as you all know!). He also said I clean my oven too much (I do... Because I USE my oven that much!), and that I use my back burners too much (an old habit from when there were little fingers that liked to reach up to the stove top). He said I need to go easy and go out to dinner more often. Are you kidding me?! I thought stoves and ovens were meant to be used! So, I did a little homework and scoured the sales ads. Basically, I felt it would be best to move up to a five-burner stove, so I can use the middle burner for canning and most of my cooking. And I still wanted a self-cleaning oven, because I just don't have a lot of time to devote to cleaning right now. SO, I decided to go to Lowe's. Interesting...

The guy told me that the service tech was giving me a bunch of hooey as far as use, etc. He listened to what I needed, and then proceeded to tell me that the local Lowe's stores don't stock many gas stoves because in our area most people use electric, so they stock mostly electric. He showed me the difference in size in the two they had on the floor, but proceeded to tell me they didn't have any in stock. He said that at the very earliest, if I was lucky, he might be able to get one in for me for a week from Saturday, but most likely, if it has to come from the manufacturer, it would take up to 30 days. Eghads. I needed one yesterday! He pulled up a couple on the website (I already had done that at home), and proceeded to try to sell me one that was neither self-cleaning nor a five-burner. It was almost $500!!! And he said I would probably not have it for two weeks, because they would have to order it. He said nothing about store-to-store shipping or anything, and instead suggested that I travel to the next Lowe's hub - about 45 minutes away - because in their area gas stoves are more popular, and they have a much better and bigger selection in stock. <Sigh>

I decided to go to a local outlet...

There, he had one self-cleaning five burner in stock. He explained everything I could possibly need to know about the oven and stove, and answered a few questions. The stove was about $80 more than the one at Lowe's, but it was definitely a good deal. It was originally $800, marked down to $600. I asked if he could do better on the price if I paid cash. He said he could give it to me for $510, tax included. DEAL. It's being installed right now! Can't wait to make pie.

Funny thing is, the guy at Lowe's printed out the info on that stove he was trying to sell me? Yeah.. It had rebates that he didn't mention, of course, and the corker was that right on the paper they had it IN STOCK in the store!!! If he had told me all of that in the store, I probably would've purchased it right then and there, but I would not have been satisfied with it. God had His hand on my shoulder. I got everything I wanted for an excellent price... And even after coming home and checking online, I really did get the best price!

Lessons learned: Always shop around and know your product and prices. Always read the printouts because even sales people make mistakes (or maybe they can't be bothered to make the sale!). Definitely do your best to pay cash, and if you ARE paying cash (or even if you're not), make sure to ask if they can do a little better on the price! I saved $300 and got the stove I wanted! YAY!

Happy savings, girls! May your stoves all work beautifully now and throughout the holidays!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Edited by - Ninibini on Nov 18 2016 1:57:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2016 :  2:07:51 PM  Show Profile
Oooh! Oooh! Oooh! It's a convection oven, too! He didn't tell me THAT!!! LOL! Bonus! :) Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2016 :  5:05:04 PM  Show Profile
Nini, good for you. Bet it bakes beautiful pies.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 31 Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic How did you save money this week? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page