Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Nifty Thrifty
 How did you save money this week?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic How did you save money this week? Next Topic
Page: of 31

sherone_13
True Blue Farmgirl

2460 Posts

Sherone
Evanston WY
USA
2460 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2015 :  08:20:10 AM  Show Profile
Today I ordered a headstone for my parents. Originally, I spoke with a funeral home that wanted $3200.00 for a stone. I found a place online that sold the exact same stone for $1863.00. I saved $1337.00 for my family. The reviews have been great for this company, so I feel good about it. Although this is a difficult thing to do, my parents would have wanted me to be frugal with their money. I got the stone that they wanted for a lot less money! Yay!

Sherone

Farmgirl Sister #1682

My Blog

www.annapearlsattic.blogspot.com

My Etsy

www.etsy.com/shop/annapearlsattic

Women are angels. When someone breaks our wings, we just jump on our broomsticks and fly! We are flexible that way!
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2015 :  05:41:46 AM  Show Profile
My neighbor's husband works for the company that does the packaging for Campbell's Soup. The plant here also makes Pace Picante Sauce. When a box breaks the employees can buy the product at a discount. I traded 6 of my chicken's eggs for 7 jars of Pace Picante Sauce. Mo'Dean has only been laying for over a week and she is already earning her keep.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2015 :  08:10:26 AM  Show Profile
I had broken my beautiful handmade cereal bowl. I had found it in the trash so it cost me nothing. I went to Saver's to get a new bowl and found this lovely Fire King glass bowl for $.99.

DH wanted me to buy an artisan crafted bowl which costs $14 at the least. A bowl such as that would be nice but I really like this one.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

Needle
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

Judy
Kissimmee Florida
USA
287 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2015 :  5:40:11 PM  Show Profile
I made my first batch of laundry soap Thursday, and have done a couple of loads. I really like it. My husband hurt his shoulder and needed a sling for his arm. Walgreen's wanted $15.00 for one. I made one for him with what I had in my sewing room. Cost, a few scraps and two D rings. The best part is he really likes it!!
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2015 :  08:32:54 AM  Show Profile
I love that bowl Marie! Unusual.

Laundry soap is on my "to do" list. For our home, and my daughter's.

Farmgirl sister #3926

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

MBurns
True Blue Farmgirl

1753 Posts

Marlene
Swisher IA
USA
1753 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2015 :  1:30:04 PM  Show Profile
I have received several $10 off coupons from Kohl's and have bought a pack of 6 socks for $2 with the coupon and a pair of capris for 60 cents on clearance with the coupon. Also bought a top at Christopher and banks for free with $20 rewards coupon. Good deals. also goodwill and stuff consignment store for furniture and clothes. Love the deals. Enjoy hearing about your savings.

Farmgirl friends are fun.
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13568 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13568 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2015 :  2:03:49 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Our electric company is a rural electric association and everyone serviced by the company is a stockholder. We receive capital credits every year. They used to send that in the form of a check, but in the last 2-3 years they have just used it as a credit on your electric bill, which works for me.
I went online to pay our bill today, which was up quite a bit because of a hot month and having to run a lot of fans. I was delighted beyond words to find we had been given our capital credit of $90.00, thus reducing that electric bill by a LOT!
I'm grateful!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

RedClover
Farmgirl in Training

45 Posts

Christina
Bloomington Indiana
USA
45 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2015 :  6:47:24 PM  Show Profile
I've finally managed to convince my husband and kids to do away with the Directv, and instead use our antenna! I can't believe all the channels we're able to pick up, and it feels great knowing I don't have to pay them almost $70 a month anymore !

Farmgirl #6543
Go to Top of Page

CindyG
True Blue Farmgirl

293 Posts

Cindy
Fairfax VA
USA
293 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2015 :  03:25:18 AM  Show Profile
Does planning ahead to save money count? I bought one of those sports booster club discount cards from a neighbor kid on the local high school football team. Happy to support them, but I usually forget to use the card! So I added reminders to my smartphone calendar to use the Great Harvest bread Company coupon the first Monday of each month - get a free loaf of honey wheat bread with the purchase of any other loaf. A great deal....but only if I use it, right? So hopefully this will help me take advantage of their very nice offer.
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2015 :  10:47:21 AM  Show Profile
That's a good idea Cindy.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

1010 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
1010 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2015 :  04:43:57 AM  Show Profile
My friend of nearly 60 years and I both have "occasions" coming up in the fall that will require formal dresses. Neither one of us is the dressy type, but we each have a few dresses from over the years. Yesterday we got together and swapped dresses, so now we have something "new" to wear and it didn't cost a dime. Plus we had fun trying them on -- lots of laughs!

Happy Day!
Peace in our hearts, peace in the world
Amy (Sister#6098) www.danaherandcloud.com

Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2015 :  7:01:32 PM  Show Profile
You girls are awesome with your savings. I save a ton of money by NOT going to the quilt shops. Lol

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

Denise Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

831 Posts

Denise
Shoreview MN
USA
831 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2015 :  7:34:31 PM  Show Profile
Bonnie,
Unfortunately avoiding the Quilt sops only lasts so long....

Denise Ann
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2015 :  09:07:16 AM  Show Profile
I saved $15 at the grocery store today on 6 lbs. of Owens Sausage. I will sautι it and put on wax paper covered tray and freeze. Put in freezer bags to use as needed with eggs, in sauces/chili, tacos, & pizza.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

RabbitGirl
Farmgirl in Training

47 Posts

Laura
St Augustine FL
USA
47 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2015 :  09:31:50 AM  Show Profile
I got some oregano and basil cuttings from a friend instead of buying plants or seeds at the nursery.

Laura
St Augustine, FL
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2015 :  4:20:51 PM  Show Profile
You go girls!!!!!

It has been forever since I last posted, so busy and unexpected things popping up. So, for the past couple of months I have saved by:

~Finding a great deal on firewood (pre-season special). We were able to purchase 3 cords at a killer price and it is seasoned and split.
~Since our garden hasn't been doing so well, I have been able to purchase fresh produce at our Famrer's Market for a wonderful price.
~Organizing! This has made such a difference in saving money. Now I know where my 5 hole punches are:) So I save money knowing where things are instead of purchasing new items.
~I have been able to barter soap for eggs, jams, and hand crocheted items.
~Eating healthy and eating less. The healthier the food the more filling it has been for us so portions are now smaller:)
~I was able to purchase cases of raspberries for under $15.00 and have canned or frozen them
~I keep a list when I go to the thrift store of items I am looking for. I just found a bedskirt for $1.75 which matches perfect with my quilt.
~Spend less time at the thrift:) Years ago I would shop there all of the time. Even though I was spending little amounts here and there I didn't reason whether I needed the product or not, and purchased it because it was a good deal. A good deal for the thrift store because it ended right back there!
~The usual with saving and re-using baggies and foil.
~I just found out that propane prices in our area are half the cost of last year's so we topped off our tank.
~I have been canning, freezing and drying for the pantry.
~I found a great deal for a Sam's Plus Membership. It is normally $100+ but I was able to purchase a membership for $46.00 and got a $20.00 gift card back. We were able to get some great deals on oils, vinegar, epsom salts (to make bath salts with) and some other items.
~We found some great deals on Grape vines, Raspberry and Black Raspberry bushes as well as trees this year. We splurged. We are hoping for a return on the fruit:)

I look forward to catching up with everyone and hearing about you saving money!!!

Farmgirl Sister #5392

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon

http://amerryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2015 :  07:32:47 AM  Show Profile
We made frozen pizzas last night instead of ordering out - DH was all set to push that Order button online and when he told me it was going to be $30 for one pizza and one order of cheesy bread I had a little moment. We "discussed" it and settled on pizzas from the freezer plus some Focaccia bread I had made and frozen the day before.

I've also been working hard at using only items I already have when it comes to Fall decor this year. NO running out and buying STUFF. I've been able to glean supplies for new projects from what I have already - in some cases cutting up and re-purposing things I haven't used in years. I did purchase some craft/decor items this spring, but it was all at garage sales for pennies on the dollar - so I feel pretty good about that!

Go to Top of Page

J.F. Brown
True Blue Farmgirl

130 Posts

Jamie
Beaverton OR
USA
130 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2015 :  9:41:49 PM  Show Profile
I negotiated a lower price on 30 punds of organic tomatoes from our farmers market.I buy from this farm often, so I emailed to ask... and got a better price!

Also spending less time and money thrift-shopping. I still go, but less often, and with an agenda and a budget.
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2015 :  10:57:25 PM  Show Profile
Jaime, good for you!!! Sometimes it is tempting to just order or grab take out but better in the long run to eat at home:) You also practiced self-restraint with the Fall Decor:) Fall is my favorite season and a couple of weeks ago we went to Hobby Lobby (the closest one to us is about an hour and a half) It was very tempting to purchase something new for Fall but I restrained also and like you feel good about that:)

Jamie, way to go!!! Bushels of tomatoes are running pretty expensive out here, good for you getting a lower price. And yes, an agenda for the thrift store is important:)

Farmgirl Sister #5392

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon

http://amerryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

J.F. Brown
True Blue Farmgirl

130 Posts

Jamie
Beaverton OR
USA
130 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2015 :  12:38:54 AM  Show Profile
Sharon - they were expensive, but less so! And local and certified organic, which I prefer, but honestly can't always afford.

Tonight I cooked them in my favorite-for-canning huge stainless pot, which I looked for and found for $7 at Good Will, and then canned them in the pressure cooker I got from the thriftshop at our library for $40!

Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2015 :  07:39:57 AM  Show Profile
I went to the library this week and checked out books to read instead of buying a new one online.

I also checked out several freezer themed cookbooks. Much more economical to check cookbooks out and take photos of the recipes I want to try with my smartphone!
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2015 :  10:45:37 AM  Show Profile
Hi girls! So much fun seeing all the great things you're doing!! You inspire me to do better every day!!!

I wanted to try making homemade salsas this year, but I wanted to use my garden tomatoes to make homemade sauce. In particular, I'm pretty much addicted to Harry and David's peach salsa, but it's crazy expensive, and I just knew I could make it myself. SO, I found the "Summer Salsa" recipe in my Ball Canning book, which included tomatoes, peaches an pears. I decided to substitute peaches for pears and give it a whirl. I also found a phenomenal recipe for salsa online: http://anoregoncottage.com/my-favorite-salsa-for-canning/ (can I say - BEST salsa EVER!!!). I went to our friends' local farm and bought 25 pounds of their not-so-pretty tomatoes as well as peaches and a few Anaheim peppers. Came home, pulled out all the goodies from my garden that I needed, then spent all day peeling, cutting, chopping, measuring, and calcu-ma-latin' to make sure I had the right amounts for big batches. By one in the morning, I had 11 1/2 pint and one-half jars of tomato peach salsa (very good - not Harry and David's, but very good in its own right!), and 19 1/2 pint and one-half jars of Oregon Cottage salsa (I kid you not: BEST salsa EVER!!!). My husband says it's a lifetime supply, and I giggle. We use a lot of salsa, not only on chips and in tacos and burritos, but on salads, when cooking chicken, in dips, etc... I will be thrilled if it lasts until this time next year, but I highly doubt it! ;) I know I could've saved quite a bit more had I used all my own garden produce, but I did still save quite a bit. And at least part of it is made with my garden goodness, and at least the rest is local-fresh! I'm happy!

Also - we had pulled a whole bunch of potatoes out of the garden a while ago, but due to my negligence they turned green (long story, got distracted, yadda, yadda, yadda). I was so bummed because I thought I'd have to throw the whole bunch away, but I emailed Jackie Clay from Backwood's Home to see if there was anything I could do to save them. Long story short, she said that since it had only been a couple of days, there probably wasn't a lot of solanine in the potatoes. She suggested that if I peeled all the green away, they should be fine. Peel. All. The. Green. Away. Eghads - a good bit of what we had were tiny fingerlings! I whined about it a little bit to my hubby, because I couldn't imagine peeling all of those tiny potatoes, and he offered to help (God BLESS the man - he has the patience of Job when it comes to tedious tasks like that!). We spent the morning and part of the afternoon on Labor day peeling our little hearts away. When all was said and done, I had 12 quarts and 1 pint of the most beautiful, delicious garden potatoes gracing my pantry shelves (and a ton of peelings for the compost)! Thank God for Jackie Clay - she saved my potatoes and saved the day!

I also spent money to save money. I have a non-electric carpet sweeper, which works really well, but really wanted a good vaccuum to help me keep the dust bunnies and man dirt under control. I've wanted a Dyson forever, but could never justify buying one - they are extremely ungodly expensive. I waited and waited, and watched and watched, and finally came across a deal that I just couldn't pass up - I saved well over half the original cost on a clearanced brand-new older model. Upon checking just now, it was comparable in price to any other vaccuum you see in the stores at sale price! I haven't assembled it yet (too busy canning), but by the end of this week, I'll know for sure whether or not the Dyson lives up to its reputation! I cannot WAIT to give it a whir-r-r-rl!

Finally, I organized my pantry. How did that save me money, you ask? Well, even though I try to keep a good record of what we have in stock, my guys constantly pull stuff off the shelves and forget to add it to the list. They also have a bad habit of shoving things on shelves and closing the doors. Every year I take time to go through everything on my shelves and in my freezer to take inventory, pitch the old, dehydrate things that are approaching their expiration dates, and organize. I ended up finding several things on my winter stock-up list that I didn't realize were still up there - ergo, I SAVED myself from spending money unnecessarily. I like that. I like that a lot! Pennies saved are earned! :) Next week, I'll be tackling the freezer! :)

You know, it's kind of cool. I've finally gotten to the point that when you look at my shelves, more of it is home grown, home canned, etc., than is store bought. And because I've been diligent in my canning, dehydrating and preserving, I'm spending so much less at the grocery store. What I am most excited about is that now I'm able to more aggressively start buying bulk to save money. For example, we recently used a cash-back credit we had to purchase 50 lbs. each of corn and rolled oats recently for pennies on the dollar over smaller pre-processed and/or store bought items. (And those DEFINITELY seem like a lifetime supply! LOL!) It saves us an incredible amount of money to buy this way, and I've learned proper storage methods to ensure the life of our food storage extends as long as possible. Further, by buying my own basic ingredients - i.e. wheat, corn, and, at some point, oat groats, there is so much more flexibility as to how we use these foods. I can grind them into flours or meals, I can cook them and use them in different dishes, I can even make pseudo meat or sausage if necessary! If I hadn't started doing all the little things to change from pre-made, store bought items to growing them and processing them myself, I would not be at the point where I can allocate my food budget to saving money on bulk purchases. Doing things yourself does take time, for sure; but it's so worth it. SO worth it.

I just have to share this with you, too: Did you know that you can make your own baking powder? Baking powder is pretty expensive, and most of it contains aluminum, which is NOT good for you at all. So, if you want to save a little bit of money this holiday baking season, try this:

Homemade Baking Powder

2 parts of Cream of tartar
1 part of Corn starch or arrowroot powder
1 part of Baking soda

Sift together and mix very well to ensure everything is incorporated and that there are no lumps. Use just like you would the canned stuff from the store! :)

And here's a recipe for homemade scouring powder:

1 part baking soda
1/2 part Borax

Mix together well. Use just like your favorite store bought!

Also - did you know that a Kraft Parmesan Cheese shaker lid fits on a standard canning jar? Yep! Think of all the great uses...

And here are some recipes for instant pudding mix:

For Vanilla Instant Pudding Mix:
• 2 cups granulated sugar
• 2 cups instant clear jel
• ½ teaspoon salt

Instructions

To Make Vanilla Instant Pudding Mix:

1. Blend together the granulated sugar, instant clear jel, and salt to the carafe of a blender. Store in airtight container.

To Prepare Pudding:

• 2 cups of milk (Cow or goat's milk, any percent, or even coconut, soy, almond or rice milk.)
• Ύ cup pudding mix
• 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract, or to taste.

Blend together well. I use a stick blender, but you can also use your mixer or bowl blender. You will actually see it thicken as it is blended. Refrigerate.

For Chocolate Instant Pudding Mix:

• 2 cups granulated sugar
• 2 cups instant clear jel
• 2 cups cocoa powder
• ½ teaspoon salt

To Make Chocolate Instant Pudding Mix:

1. Blend together granulated sugar, instant clear jel and salt. Store in airtight container.

To Prepare Pudding:

• 2 cups of milk (Cow or goat's milk, any percent, or even coconut, soy, almond or rice milk.)
• Ύ cup pudding mix
• 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract. I also like to add a teeny bit of almond extract, which just enhances the chocolate flavor.

Blend together well. I use a stick blender, but you can also use your mixer or bowl blender. You will actually see it thicken as it is blended. Refrigerate.

My guys love this stuff! They actually prefer it over the store bought brand name pudding cups for snacks and lunches! I make up a couple of batches every week, and put them in little containers in the fridge so they're ready to grab and go as they need them!

Well, those are my pennies saved, pennies earned, pennies shared for the day! :)

Happy saving!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

www.papercraftingwithnini.ctmh.com

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Edited by - Ninibini on Sep 14 2015 11:01:35 AM
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2015 :  11:06:20 AM  Show Profile
Oh! I forgot! I also had a couple of batches of kefir too quickly turn to kurds and whey last week. It was in the 90's, and I just couldn't get the timing right. SO, I separated the kurds, drained them well, and seasoned them to taste like boursin cheese - soooo good on crackers, bagels, etc.! The whey I am using in my breads. WOW what a boost to the yeast! And the bread turns out absolutely delicious! Love turning lemons into lemonade, don't you?

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

lovinRchickens
True Blue Farmgirl

3435 Posts

Kelly
Pipe Creek Texas
USA
3435 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2015 :  11:46:13 AM  Show Profile
Nini
Wow girl you sure are a busy and money saving farmgirl! Good job on all your doings. Also thanks for the recipes I will be making them soon. I love my kefir but it is so hard to get brew times perfect in the heat of summer. Glad you found a good use for it when it separates.

Farmgirl #5111
Farmgirl of the month October 2014
Blessings
~Kelly~
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2015 :  3:59:36 PM  Show Profile
LOL! Thanks, Kelly! To be honest, this has all become a comfy way of life for me. I love doing all these things. Makes me so happy! If you try the pudding, you get different textures depending upon how you blend it. I just find that with the the immersion blender it turns out much more fluffy and creamy. I have wanted to try folding in some whipped cream, too, to make it more like a mousse. So good. I still prefer it homemade cooked on the stove, but this definitely works, too! :) Also, I do have arrowroot powder on hand, but I really don't care for it very much, so I've only done the baking powder with corn starch. It works! It really works!!! The scouring powder does, too; however I've also found that borax works just fine on its own in a pinch. Amazing what we can do with ingredients that are already sitting on our kitchen shelf, huh? :) Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 31 Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic How did you save money this week? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page