Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Nifty Thrifty
 How did you save money this week?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic How did you save money this week? Next Topic
Page: of 31

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2015 :  10:45:26 PM  Show Profile
Lisa and Nini, good for you!!!! Your girls rock!

Nini, I made some bread using potato water and it is wonderful. I also made some hamburger buns :) Thanks for the tip on the chicken bones, I'm afraid that the dogs would get into the garden. I have read about cooking the bones in a pressure cooker and they come out soft and crumbly and safe for dogs. What a score finding cash :) That is awesome, especially since you didn't miss it, even better!

Lately...

~Have been making my own bread and rolls
~Used the potato water from cooking potatoes in my dough (thank you Nini!)
~Made yogurt
~Did some bartering of Michael's soaps for: knit socks, fabric, getting my hair done :)
~Received samples of Twining's teas in the mail
~Found some neat things at the thrift store: A Columbia shirt for my honey, a chandelier (needs to be painted and rewired but will be perfect for the bedroom), a cute lantern to hang outside, a Gooseberry Patch cookbook, a pair of Cabela's jeans for me, some older Country Living magazines (from the 90's). We spent $8.47. not bad :)
~Oh and at another thrift store, they had some Burpee seeds from last year 5 packs for a dollar so I was able to get my beet seeds and basil :)
~Michael sells his soap at a local coffee/garden shop. We gave the owners a few bars and they insisted we take some coffee home :)
~When ordering a couple of things from Amazon, we received an invite to Amazon Prime so we were able to get free shipping.
~Made a couple dozen greeting cards from materials I have on hand :)
~Divided an African Violet that I had, now I had an additional plant. And there is still another plant I need to divide :)
~Filled out a survey for our grocery store and received gas points.

I hope everyone is having a frugal week :)

Farmgirl Sister #5392

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon

http://amerryheartjournal.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Calicogirl on Feb 16 2015 10:48:02 PM
Go to Top of Page

country treasure
True Blue Farmgirl

452 Posts

judy
SK
Canada
452 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2015 :  10:02:05 AM  Show Profile

country wishes!
Go to Top of Page

country treasure
True Blue Farmgirl

452 Posts

judy
SK
Canada
452 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2015 :  10:38:46 AM  Show Profile

Hi ladies!
Had trouble loading pics but serves me right for not posting in just a long time!

Winter in our home means cheese making! Hubby does the making & I'm the sampler...I got the best job!
The 1st pic is 3 # rounds of Harvati & Farm House cheddar drying. The cheddar is the orange one. The 2nd pic is waxed cheese labelled for storage. We store the cheese in the coldest pat of the basement & flip it once in a while. We cracked open a tasty 1 1/2 year old Monterey Jack last night.....yummy! Making our own cheese gives a large of variety that normally I wouldn't buy. We're storing a parmesan round away for 4-5 years, now that's going to be tasty! ANYTHING handmade is sooo much better

-being loving the beautiful brown eggs that our "laddies" give us! Selling the extras for $2.50 & can't keep them in the fridge. What's the price in your area?
-making egg pasta. Using herbs, spices, veggies to flavour some noodles but does anyone have any ideas? Made a cinnamon pasta that I used in a apple type salad that was yummy, although it sounds strange!
-our barn cats are fat & sassy from the eggs mixed in their feed
-frozen waffles, so easy on those rushed mornings
-found choc after Valentines for the freezer...not the best quality but will do in a pinch
-made cards to send out
-always splitting wood....my personal gym membership....should have asked more questions on that one!!!!! LOL
-baking bread
-making bed sheets & pillow cases
-LOVE making small felt animals to send in the pillow case dress pockets. They're sooo cute!
-found cheap pjs end of Feb that the store just wanted gone. Sewed 2 night gowns together to make longer ones. The fabric scraps go into scrappy quilts so no waste.
-started 150 celery seeds, they sure take a long time to germinate) so we'll see how many come up.
-ordered a lot of strawberry plants for spring planting. We try to have a 3 year rotation of plants so the production is high for the farmer's market. They're the highest sellers at the markets.....how abut your area??
-we had a little warm spell (well for this area) so our cellar potatoes aren't going to make it through til late spring. Thinking about freezing hash browns. Anyone done it? Thought about semi cooking, cube & freeze???
-thinking about some potatoes too. Cook, mash, dry then powder?????? Anyone??? NINI???
-wanting to make dried lemons while the citrus run is on. Anyone with a bottled lemon recipe please?
Will bottle more lemonade & orangeade for summer. It was so good to grab a bottle & run out the door!
-order the garden seeds while dreaming of the perfect weedless gardens. LOL
-order meat chickens, layers(especially Easter layers!) quail, geese & turkeys for spring.
I love to blow & string the little quail eggs for the Christmas tree. Love the pretty brown/cream colours!
-started fast growing seeds in some of the used egg shells for spring decorating

Well, it's been snowing here like a Christmas card......so quiet & peaceful!
What have you been saving money on?????
Hugs Judy

ps...THANKS Sharon for checking on me

country wishes!
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2015 :  10:52:18 AM  Show Profile
Judy, I so enjoyed hearing about what all you and hubby do.

Don't know how much I saved but it must have been a bunch. Didn't get out of the house because of the ice & snow. Ate out of the pantry & freezer. Ate really good too. Today I made beer cheddar cheese biscuits with MaryJane's Budget Mix. I drank 1/2 a bottle of Irish beer last night and saved the rest on the counter.

Sara
Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.
FarmGirl Sister #6034 Aug 25, 2014
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2015 :  1:37:36 PM  Show Profile
Judy! Sharon! You girls are amazing! You sure have been busy, sisters! Kudos to you for all you've accomplished!!!

And look at those rounds of cheese, Judy! WOW!! WOWOWOWOW!!! They're a feast for the eyes - BEAUTIFUL! You GO girl!!!

Sara - What does Irish beer taste like? Is it super strong like Lager?

As far as the chicken bones go, you have to pressure cook (or boil?) them until soft, then dehydrate them and THEN crush them into bone meal. I am pretty sure you can do this with turkey, beef and lamb bones, too. I have not tried it yet, but hope to get to it someday - probably after my son graduates this year, and my time is more mine! ;)

I finally ground my own wheat today and made the most delicious bread. Oh my! The FLOUR itself smells so different! And the aroma when the bread is baking is incredible! We had a good laugh because when I was done grinding and making the doughs, I was COVERED with flour. My son jokingly called me the "Pillsbury Dough Mommy!" LOL!

I also have been rinsing and saving all my eggshells instead of tossing them into the compost. When it comes time to plant my tomatoes, I'll crush them and put them in the soil around the seeds and seedlings. This should really help them be strong and prevent blossom end rot. We'll see!

I canned bacon a couple of weeks ago, which was really neat - turned out wonderfully! I still haven't had a chance to get to those frozen tomatoes in the freezer, but they're on my to do list. Life just gets so busy sometimes, doesn't it? <Sigh>

Do any of you have any good suggestions, recipes or ideas for my son's graduation party? I would like to do as much as possible myself, but I need ideas... I've already got plenty of paper products on hand, I think. I've been chipping away at that since last year, buying a little bit here and a little more there as things went on sale. I need ideas for food - especially make ahead foods - and decorations, and just about anything else you can think of! :)

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2015 :  3:21:02 PM  Show Profile
Nina, the Irish beer is Killian's Irish Red - a dark beer, but not as strong as a dark ale or stout. In the cold months I drink dark beers, ales, or stout at room temperature like the British do. In the warmer months I like a lighter beer with tomato juice ~ preferably Texas or Mexican brewery. I like beer, but I find it filling so one bottle or less is my limit.

Oh, keeping with the topic I buy it on sale.

Sara
FarmGirl Sister #6034 Aug 25, 2014
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2015 :  3:56:49 PM  Show Profile
I think that's what I meant... Stout... A friend and I were out for dinner one evening, and she insisted I try it. Eeeyuck! <<<shuuuuudddddeeeerrr>>> Too strong for me. I would definitely try the Killian's, but I'd probably be more inclined to ultimately use it in a recipe. Thanks for letting me know what it's like! :) You know, I've never heard of beer and tomato juice... Sounds quite interesting. So different! I bet I'd like it! When I was a little girl, my Dad and our neighbor used to make home brews... I remember specifically them making apple beer. It was tasty, very different. (I only had a sip, though! LOL!) I like an ice cold beer with a really good pizza every once in a great while. I just can't drink very much or very often for health reasons. I'm not complaining, though! I can still make beer batter for fish - that won't hurt me! Well, I suppose the deep frying could, but... ;) Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

2283 Posts

Julie
Medina ND
USA
2283 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2015 :  7:13:29 PM  Show Profile
Hi Judy,
We do frozen hash brown with our extra potatoes. Actually it is Keith's specialty. He par boils the potatoes, runs them through the shredder in he food processor, shapes them with a burger press and freezes them single file on cookie sheets. I than put wax paper between each one bad package. Great for those quick breakfasts and suppers the cheese looks so yummy! I love reading everyone's tips.

Julie

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2015 :  8:16:53 PM  Show Profile
Oh! Speaking of which! Judy! I actually dehydrated my hashed browns. I used frozen shreds from the store, though. It was super duper easy to do, and it saves a lot of space in the fridge. I think if you want to dehydrate the fresh ones you might want to blanch them first, but believe me, you're not losing anything by dehydrating them. They're wonderful. Re-hydrating them is a breeze, and they are as good as the day I dried them! I've used them in lots of things... Most recently, I re-hydrated them, mixed them with some flour, eggs, baking soda (Or was it baking powder? Gee.. I can't remember which it was now! Sorry!), dehydrated onion, garlic powder, salt & pepper, and used them as a topping on a casserole. So good! YUM YUM!!!

How do you bottle up the lemonade and orangeade, Judy? That sounds awesome!!! Do you have a special recipe? Please share with us!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

2283 Posts

Julie
Medina ND
USA
2283 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2015 :  09:07:34 AM  Show Profile
Judy you should share your cordial recipe with everyone else too. I can't tell you how many jars I have made of that since you shared it with me. So yummy. I too would like the lemon and orangeade recipes, we seem to be getting a lot of both in our bountiful baskets.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

cheryl keyes
True Blue Farmgirl

468 Posts

cheryl
millinocket maine
USA
468 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2015 :  1:16:05 PM  Show Profile
really enjoyed reading all of your posts.. you girls are all so clever and busy!

http://plumkrazy.etsy.com
http://plumkrazyvintage.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

country treasure
True Blue Farmgirl

452 Posts

judy
SK
Canada
452 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2015 :  09:08:45 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Julie & Nini!
I went with Julie's idea but one step further & added onions, sausage meat, cheese & herbs then cooked off & froze. Tried some this morning & yummy! It will be perfect for those grab & dash meals.
Nini, your idea suits us fine! Hubby will eat potatoes ANY way....he'd be doing a happy dance. Did you mash, cube or shred the spuds?

Here's the cordial recipe which I can't remember where it came from but have made buckets of it over the years.
Fill a quart jar with fruit. I lightly pack in the fruit. Use any type of berries: strawberries, blackberries(yummy!), cherries, blueberries, peaches....anything that will break down a bit & release it's juice. I've used just about everything! A mix is yummy too!
Add vinegar to fill the jar. Cover. Let stand on counter for 2 days....to be honest I've been busy & the 2 days have gotten away on me & it's fine.
Strain.

Measure juice & mix in equal sugar. Heat to dissolve sugar then boil rapidly for about 10 min. Bottle & process in water bath.

Mix 1 part cordial with 3 parts water, ginger ale or fancy it up & add to white wine.
I REALLY cut down on the sugar. this reminds me of the old vinegar drink that folks used to take out in the fields to drink but it's flavoured.
Enjoy!

The lemonade ade is super simple! I just peel the fruit, juice (you need a lot!) & add to hot water & sit in the sun to steep like making ice tea. If I have fresh mint at the time I add it now. Strain then I heat the mix up just enough to dissolve the sugar...sugar to taste. We like it pretty tart. Orange is the same way. Tried grapefruit put didn't like it. Before bottling add a piece of peel to each bottle & process.
A TRUE tried recipe! During the citrus run it's super cheap to make.
I don't know if this is true blue lemonade but taste. Yummy! OH....freeze some into cubes & add to cold water!!!!
Does anyone have any other drink recipes?? Any type would be great! We love the grape juice!
Off to get pie orders finished.
Hugs Judy

country wishes!
Go to Top of Page

country treasure
True Blue Farmgirl

452 Posts

judy
SK
Canada
452 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2015 :  09:41:49 AM  Show Profile

FRESH eggs! YUMMY!
Have a great day
Judy

country wishes!
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2015 :  09:56:27 AM  Show Profile
Aw, Judy! Thank you SO much for sharing those recipes! I'm SO excited!!! And your eggs are BEAUTIFUL! When I lived back home in RI, they had a little jingle about to help people to remember which eggs they should buy: "Brown eggs are local eggs, and local eggs are FRESH!" LOL! I taught it to my son when he was little and now he'll sing it just to tease me! I think I've had the last laugh though: the jingle has stuck! That's all he will reach for! ;) Enjoy those yummy browns!

I actually used frozen shreds for the shredded potatoes, and just spread them out evenly on my dehydrator trays. Then I dehydtrated them on the temperature setting for vegetables on my dehydrator. As I recall, they dried very fast. We love them. I also dehydrate cubed potatoes. For those, I just cubed in 1" pieces, blanched them and cooled them in ice water, paper dried them, and then, again, dehydrated on the temperature setting for vegetables on my dehydrator. They turned out excellent! I have wanted to dehydrate slices, but I've seen that it's a bit more tricky to do those. You have to make sure you blanche them just right or they turn black and they're ruined. I'm holding out to try those next fall. We'll see! ;) Let me know what you decide to do and how you make out! :)

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2015 :  1:50:03 PM  Show Profile
Well, let's see...

- I bought rice bulk this week - a whopping 25 lbs! - and it only cost about the same price as I would've spent on 5 one-pound packages at the grocery store. The neat thing is that although we're not big rice eaters, per se, I can definitely use it for making rice flour in my grain mill! BIG savings!

- This morning I got up at 5:00 and ground all my wheat for the week. What I didn't need for today I popped in the freezer... My home ground flour saves me about 20 - 30 cents per pound (and that figure would be much more if I weren't using Einkorn, of course, but the health value is through the roof over other wheat, and it's just sooo much better than the flour I would buy from the store! FRESH is best! Whole wheat berries are amazingly jam-packed with wholesome goodness! Protein, vitamins, minerals... No wonder it is referred to as the staff of life! In Biblical times, the wheat and, subsequently, the flour had so many more health benefits than the stuff we see in the stores today! Anyhow, once the flour was ready, I proceeded to make two loaves of bread, which if my guys stay true to form, might last me a couple of days. (One is almost gone already! Geesh!)

- Just a hint: I've learned to save the buttered plastic wrap I use for the final rise and either fold it neatly and save it in the freezer for next time OR gently rub it on the top of the bread once its warm enough, creating my own "buttertop" bread!

- I made a big batch of stuffed shells, froze them (sans sauce) on a cookie sheet, then put them in baggies in the freezer for use in the upcoming weeks. (They will last two months in the freezer.) SO much better than store bought!

- I cleaned my bathroom cupboard and "rescued" a number of products that I didn't realize were even in there! THAT saved me about $30 by not having to purchase them at Costco at the end of the month.

- Homemade pizza using homemade dough and homemade sauce all week ('Haven't had a chance to make mozzerella in a while!). I used dehydrated mushrooms from my food storage, and loaded it down with hot pickled peppers I made last summer. Oh my... My my my my my my my! Tasty stuff!

Have a great weekend, girls!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Edited by - Ninibini on Mar 14 2015 1:55:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13564 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13564 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2015 :  4:04:08 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
We bought a 2005 GMC Envoy in October so I would have a vehicle to pull my glamper trailer with. It has a roof rack but was missing the cross bars, which, if bought new would be close to $150 bucks or so. On a recent trip to Farmington, NM (75 miles from our house one-way) we stopped at an auto recycler (salvagd) and found cross bars on a wrecked vehicle that fit the Envoy . . . $20.00! Hubby and I took them off ourselves and saved some money for labor that way as well.
YAY!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com

Edited by - ceejay48 on Mar 14 2015 4:06:14 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2015 :  8:48:21 PM  Show Profile
That is SO awesome, CJ! Congrats on finding such a great deal! How cool is that?! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13564 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13564 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2015 :  3:55:15 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Car parts are SO expensive and we were glad to find these bars. They cost less than a replacement hubcap!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - May 13 2015 :  11:21:39 AM  Show Profile
I have written before about saving money at the grocery store. Today I really scored!

Thank You Card Savings/sales: 78.83 33%

Other Savings:
Go Green Re-useable Bags .35
Senior Discount 10% off store brands 2.07
5% off Your Points Discount 7.68

Total: 88.93

I saved money by buying 'buy 1 get 1 free' Trappey's beans; marked down discontinued pastas and 12 14oz spa sauces; marked down for quick sale sausages, Oscar Myer franks, and ox-tails; 5lbs of russet potatoes for .94; regular sale items .

Now I got to date and put it all up.

Have a blessed day, Sara
FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14

Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - May 13 2015 :  11:18:59 PM  Show Profile
All of you are awesome with all you do. I save the most money when I don't go to the fabric store.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2015 :  08:03:32 AM  Show Profile
Hi girls!

I wanted to share with you a neat thing I did for Memorial Day! We wanted to bring an ice cream cake as dessert, but they are just so danged expensive. I decided to make one myself! For simple serving, I made them in muffin tins (Well, mine are made of heavy pottery, but either work just fine!). First, I lightly coated the cups with coconut oil. Then I pressed neopolitan ice cream into the bottom of each cup. Next came a sprinkling of crushed Oreos Double Stuff Cookies, then I spread a layer of cold fudge topping (for time sake, I just bought a small jar, but I'm sure I could've made my own and it would've been even better!), and THEN I topped off the top of each with another layer of ice cream. I wrapped the muffin tins with plastic wrap, then popped them into the freezer until hard frozen. When they were "done," I dipped the pans in hot water to warm them a bit. This helped loosen the individual "cakes." I slid a knife around the edges and they popped right out. My intention at this point was to frost them lightly with Cool Whip in red, white or blue (I had planned to color it with food color) and re-freeze. I would've topped each by inserting a red, silver and blue foil pick in the top for decoration. Unfortunately, the "party" we had been invited to got canceled, as one of our hosts' kids became ill with the flu. That being the case, I just popped them into plastic zip-seal baggies for later. I'll tell you what, we LOVED them! (Yes! They are already gone! My guys have NO self control! LOL!) So much so, that I honestly don't think I'll ever buy another DQ or Carvel cake again! They were even BETTER than the store bought ice cream cakes, and making them saved me a bundle! The ice cream was a whopping $3.99 for a big bucket, the Double Stuff cookies were on sale and purchased with a double coupon for a whopping $1.29, and the fudge topping, which, again I could've made myself, but didn't have time, was purchased with a double coupon for $1.29. The whole thing cost me $6.57 to make. (The Cool Whip would've added another $1.50 to the cost, and I definitely would not have used the whole thing!) I only used half the ingredients and made a dozen HUGE mini cakes in my large cup muffin pans - and I still have plenty left over to make at least a dozen more, if not more than that! A small ice cream cake at the ice cream shop or at the grocery store would cost around $20, give or take! BIG deal all around!!! YES!

So, that's my big tip of the day... I hope you girls try it! I think, besides the savings, when you make it yourself, you're not limited to chocolate ice cream on the bottom with vanilla on the top! The neopolitan had both of those plus strawberry, which was really yummy. And I was thinking we could make different flavors for different holidays - mint chocolate chip for St. Patrick's day, for example! How cool is THAT?!

Happy, happy day, girls!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2015 :  2:55:12 PM  Show Profile
AWESOME!!!

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2015 :  07:44:51 AM  Show Profile
It's what I found in carport storage room. I have been in my house going on 4 years and I knew the box fan was in the storage room but I hadn't paid any attention to it because I didn't need it.

Each year heat is becoming more and more of a problem for me; so I took the box fan out to use in my kitchen. Even with the A/C on it can heat up around my stove.

To my surprise the fan is practically new and puts out warm air too. Just turn the switch to either warm or cool. Good thing to know come winter.

Haven't check on the cost of a new one but I am guessing I saved $$.

Have a blessed day, Sara ~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2015 :  10:19:42 AM  Show Profile
Wow, Sara! How "cool" is THAT?! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

country treasure
True Blue Farmgirl

452 Posts

judy
SK
Canada
452 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2015 :  8:59:08 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies!
Time got away being busy with farm work but have had chances to save some money along the way. Yippee!

Still doing bread & baking for customers every day. Have a couple of summer parties lined up so swapped the baking items for garden produce. Our gardens are always over flowing so I consider it a WIN! LOL
Made different flavoured egg noodles, will make more when the garden comes on. I try to have a full winter's supply of pasta while the hens are laying good during the warm weather.
Swapped a rag queen size quilt for barn paint. Funny swap but he's tickled & we've got a shinny red out building. Just finished it!
By word of mouth our market gardens are starting to gain steam. First big year of CSA baskets....took a while to get it off the ground1 LOL
Raising meat chicks for the freezer & to sell
Ducklings arrived a week ago...too cute for words....will know where our meat comes from.
Finished today planting the last of the bedding out plants in the gardens.

Always learn so much from you all....THANKS for sharing! Missed chatting
SMILES Judy

country wishes!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 31 Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic How did you save money this week? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page