Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Nifty Thrifty
 How did you save money this week?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic How did you save money this week? Next Topic
Page: of 31

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2014 :  4:30:25 PM  Show Profile

Hello Ladies...seems as if everyone has been busy this Summer...my DH and I were talking about buying some tomatoes tomorrow...not too much later we were sitting on the porch and our neighbor walked over with a grocery bag half full of tomatoes along with several banana peppers...I thought how Good the Lord is to us...to send us what we have need of and save us some money too...hopefully I will be canning homemade vegetable soup next week...have to buy the vegetables...but it tastes so good in the Fall and Winter...and our buying helps our local community too:):):)

Hugs!

Judy

PLANT SEEDS OF KINDNESS EVERYWHERE YOU GO!!!

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened...

"Country Girl at Heart...Blessed Beyond Measure"!!!

Farm Girl #5440
Farm Girl of The Month September 2013
Go to Top of Page

danyel
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Danyel
Robertsdale PA
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2014 :  5:55:31 PM  Show Profile
I finally made the dishwasher detergent my daughter gave me the recipe over two years ago, kind of embarrassing to admit that I could have been saving a lot of money, but .... now I am I think it cost about 60 cents to make, compared to a $3 bottle of store bought stuff, and a friend gave ma a fabulous all purpose cleaner recipe that wipes the dirt off the shower including the glass doors. I went on a cleaning spree.. not sure how much I saved but its a savings.

all the apples were made into 12 quart and 7 pint of apple pie filling and we found another person that said we can pick apples an pears in his yard for FREE oh yeah. I have never had someone bless me with FREE apples and pears, we did not get any pears last year because the local farms had a blight. and the cost was way to high. now this year a lot of the peaches froze out. soo... not sure of the cost, and I do not know of any one with a peach tree in there yard. smiles

Danyel
farmgirl 4202
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2014 :  4:45:29 PM  Show Profile
Danyel, wow, what a windfall you go with all those free apples and pears!! Fantastic!! I think I "see" some yummy Apple Pies in your future. With the pie filling ready to go, all the work is done except the crust and you can always buy it ready made in a pinch. Mmmm, I love apple pie hot, or cold for breakfast. Or lunch. Or snack. LOL!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2014 :  6:24:04 PM  Show Profile
I saved money by holding companies accountable for the products they sell. I had a zip-loc food sealer that had tiny plastic tabs that have to lock for it to work. One broke off and I was grumbling about just having to throw the whole thing away. I hate the disposable mentality, so I wrote the manufacturer a nice letter, how I found their product so useful but wish they would spend a few more cents to make it more durable. I got an almost immediate response. They checked the date and found it was under warrantee. They arranged for it to be picked up by Fed Ex and returned for repair or replacement. A few days later I got a brand new one!
So that encouraged me to complained to Anchor-Hocking company because the painted on measurements on my measuring cup had faded enough to be unusable. I was informed they would send a new one within 2 weeks. Polite complaining worked!
Susan

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"
Mary Oliver
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2014 :  07:37:00 AM  Show Profile
I have done that also. One year in the winter, I slipped on an icy sidewalk that the city was supposed to take care of and fell on my bag. Inside was my glucose monitor and I noticed that the numbers were not showing up on the screen properly. I called the city and told them what had happened and told them how much the machine costs. They sent me a check for the amount and de-iced the sidewalk. About a week later, I got a notice from the manufacturer of the machine that it had been recalled due to a problem with the display screen. They sent me a new one and provided me with a package in which to send the old one back. Quite a score!

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2014 :  07:43:46 AM  Show Profile
Danyel, what a blessing to have a dehydrator. You will love it especially with those apples and pears coming.
I love when others bless each other with fruit or veggies too. The apples and pears will be great! 56 pints of tomatoes? You go girl! I wish that mine would ripen, it has been on the cooler side here.

Judy, you are always super busy!
I have not used Maidenform bras before but I did receive mine and they look nice and well made. Of course they are not a $60+ bra but they are good :)
Gosh, I can't believe how much you pay for diesel, and here I am complaining about our prices. Sorry.
How funny that Izzy is eating your peas. Last evening I was picking Yellow Wax Beans and our dog Charlie started pulling them from my basket. When I told him 'no' he started pulling them from the plant and eating them :) I have a question regarding Peas :) I planted some English (shelling) peas this year enough for 3 Teepees. I have no idea how much they will harvest but so far I do know that I would love to have an abundance from next years garden. Do you know how much I should plant to yield 20 pounds or more?
We groom our dogs too. The vets here charge $12.00 for a pedicure, that is my honey's job I am afraid that I will hurt them.

Cindy, I love shopping in the ethnic aisles. You can always find such neat items and great prices! And it does pay to keep on top of your accounts. In fact we need to make a call today because and automatic payment which is supposed to be monthly came out of our account for the annual fee.

Winnie, I think I will need to try listing some items on e-bay. Good for you!

Sara, I love checking out the discontinued rack! I have found many top quality and gourmet products at half price. Good for you on saving money with your tree man. Some laborers charge way too much.

Judy (wildflower17), Isn't that So like the Lord! I cannot tell you how many times we have needed or wanted items and sure enough someone comes along and blesses us.

Susan, yes! I do let companies know when their product is defective or bad. I also let them know when I am very pleased too!

Marie, sorry to hear about your fall. That's great that the city took care of your monitor for you.

So, for this week...

~Baking own breads and rolls
~Re-using ziploc bags
~Checking unit prices on things needed at the store
~Was able to freeze 10 bags (2 cups each) of green and yellow wax beans from the garden
~Scraps went to the pigs :)
~Went to the mountains with my honey and picked some wildflowers and berries to decorate with :)
~Shelled some peas from the garden for dinner
~Canned peaches for the first time. I have not been a great fan of canned fruit but wow, these taste good!
~Peach scraps went to the pigs and they loved them! Pits went to compost.
~Tomorrow we are making another trip to pick up free firewood thus another workout :)
~Ordered some Maple Syrup. One gallon for $50.00 and $12.00 for shipping. This is a great deal and the syrup we get is superb!
~Getting ready to freeze some Kale from the garden. This is our first year growing it and it is doing great. It will be wonderful in soups and quiches this winter.
~I needed a picture frame (certain size) and went to the thrift store. I found just what I was looking for $1.00.
~My mom lives with us and buys half & half. We get raw milk and have been trying to get her to use it not only for drinking, so for the past 2 weeks I have been mixing half the cream with the milk so she can use that in her coffee instead.
~I have been harvesting Sage. We have one plant and it will usually bring us a couple of harvest. I have plenty for cooking so I have been rubberbanding bunches and hanging them from a long 'rope' I braided from jute. These not only look nice but will be a fire starter when dry.

That is all that I can think of right now.

Thanks for sharing girls!

Farmgirl Sister #5392

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon

http://amerryheartjournal.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Calicogirl on Aug 25 2014 07:49:12 AM
Go to Top of Page

country treasure
True Blue Farmgirl

452 Posts

judy
SK
Canada
452 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2014 :  8:22:02 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies!
Boy time is really flying by here! Can't believe that August is just about over.
Everyone always inspires with me with what they do!

Sharon, not quite sure what old English peas are????? We looked them up but could only bring up a sweet pea (flower) variety at first. Which I'm pretty sure that's not what you're meaning. When we did find a variety they looked very much like Homesteader shelling peas. If that's what you need to know about we can help. We've planted them for years & love the HEAVY crops. The pods fill out great. The peas freeze very well! Remember discussing planting peas for your pigs.....homesteader peas are what we plant for them & they wallow in them with happy faces! LOL Since you mentioned teepees probably homesteaders aren't what you mean since they're more a bush type. Hubby wants to know if you mean 20# strictly shelled to eat or to dry & then he'll look for info.
Try phoning Baker's Creek! They're outstanding to answer any questions on old varieties.

Had a YIPPEE moment....bought a 2 yr old $1800 treadmill for $200!!!!!!!!! The family was moving & figured it was too heavy to move so were leaving it in the house. More money than me!!!!! There's soooo many moose around that walking in the fields isn't smart &
after doing winter chores it's enough of outside. I'm one happy camper!!

-Canning & freeing the garden....cabbage rolls today....the local butcher closed his doors so bought a lot of hamburger, used the left overs to make meatballs.
-Drying parsley, basil & dill
-Pickles of all sorts...harvest crunch tomorrow
-Thrift store had a 50% off clothing....bag of work clothes & found 3 good white blouses.
-Finishing up haying.

Have a great day
Judy

country wishes!
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2014 :  10:47:08 PM  Show Profile
Hi Judy!

The peas we are growing are a vine and are a shelling pea to eat. I would just love to be able to freeze an abundance for the winter months. I will check into the Homesteader peas for the pigs. We just planted some Barley for them and it is sprouting already. Have you heard of Mangalitsa pigs? They are the 'wooly' pigs. Someone contacted us about our Large Blacks and wants our boar to service his Mangalitsa sow. They sure look different, his are the swallow-bellied.

http://arnoldzwicky.org/2013/10/02/swallow-bellied-and-furry/

I guess that is what happens when a sheep sneaks off with a pig

Good for you with the treadmill! Great deal. and the deals at the thrift store, I love 50% off. I also love Cabbage Rolls and plan on making some to freeze once the cabbage is ready from the garden. It must be so neat to see Moose but I understand how scary too. Btw, I read about your bear encounter, yikes! Glad you are okay :)

Farmgirl Sister #5392

~Sharon

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2014 :  10:52:45 PM  Show Profile
I saved $22 plus change at the grocery store.
5 boxes of discontinued assorted tea bags - 2 79cents, 3 $1
1 pkg. marked-down sliced & seasoned Brussels spouts 99 cents
2 pkg. marked-down Jenny-0 Turkey Italian Sausage $2.25 ea.
1 pkg. marked-down stew meat - $1.50
Other money saved on advertised sales.

Saved a bundle by staying off of QVC web site.

Sara
Walk in Peace - Live with Joy
FarmGirl Sister #6034 Aug 25, 2014
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2014 :  06:12:40 AM  Show Profile
I love all of the Farmgirl ingenuity here on how to save money in a variety of ways! There are always suggestions that never even occur to me. I don't have anything earth shattering to add here today except that I try and always stay simple and consistent in what I purchase in groceries. My fridge is literally empty each week by the time I go to the store. When I shop, I make sure I always have the basics for making a variety of meals (onions, celery, carrots, beans, chicken broth, rice, pasta,butter etc.). Then each week, I make out a list of meals and figure out what I need to add to the basics. I make a list and only buy what is on that list. If there are in-store specials on basics items , then I will buy two and freeze the other or stock the pantry. Even though there are only two at home now, the cost of groceries has risen quite a bit in the past few years. All of these ideas here that we share are great ways to learn new ideas for stretching our dollars!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

country treasure
True Blue Farmgirl

452 Posts

judy
SK
Canada
452 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2014 :  2:50:49 PM  Show Profile
Needing a tea break from canning & couldn't think of a better place! LOL

Sharon, I sorry but that is one...how to I put this nicely.....UGLY looking pig! LOL
That's way I love reading these post I learn something every time! I know the older breed of pigs are fat pigs (well, that what we call ours) so you wonder what the ratio is to that breed??
Where did the guy get them from? Are they on a endangered list? HOw wonderful to see them. Thanks for sharing!
Do you butcher your own pigs? Ever tried sausages or patties before? We grind up one just for that reason then the other is cut into the normal cuts. We like regulating the content of the sausages. Plus we get pretty creative with the spices/herbs, even tossed in some dried apricots & it turn out to be the fav for everyone.
Eh, about the peas....hubby says there's cheaper pea seeds out there depending on how much you want to plant??? Sharon, was it you that had the water sprinkler on the pigs......LOVED it!!
I'm sure you're BUSY today as always! Look forward to your posts to learn more & try things out.

Sara, $22 is better in your pocket than a store's!!!!! If due dates are still good why not??? One of my family just about goes nuts if she see me shopping off the discount racks. How crazy!! Good for you!! Baked in a little tomato sauce then stuffed in a sub bun & cheese on top. Salad rounds out the meal.

Winnie, I agree with learning from others how to stretch the $!! Food prices have really gone up here! Especially anything to do with fresh produce in the winter but any type of meat is insane! I love how you empty out your fridge by the week's end. We have leftover night at least once a week & supper might look funny but it uses everything up, well most things that haven't grown a third eye in the dark back corners! LOl

-drying more herbs today....it sure makes the basement smell fresh!
-13 pts of harvest crunch pickles
-10 pts mixed pepper pickles
-6 pts pickled red onion rings
-5 pts mixed summer squash pickles
giggle.....had a pint day I guess!

Peaches are glaring at me but tomorrow will do. Have done the bottled ones so want the pie filling, jam, dried & chutney.
Can anyone tell me what pickle crisp is please? We don't have it here & never heard of it.
This book calls for it when pickling zucchini. From the name I know why it's used but that's it. Trying to find something else to use???

It's been hubby's day ALLLLLLL the way! He had to look deep but found 5 cobs of corn. He's one happy camper! He loves corn!!!! Can't believe that is changing already. OH, just a hint.....keep a few cobs on the stalks to REALLY turn golden, WAY passed the eating stage then harvest & DRY VERY WELL. Rub off the cobs & in a cast iron pan with in a wee bit of oil & toss in some kennels & they will swell (shake it every so often) & are sooooooooo good!
Season while hot! Every fall packages of it go over seas to our girls.

Baling the last field of hay this afternoon!!!!! Now that's a happy dance!!!!
Hugs Judy

country wishes!
Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2014 :  4:33:07 PM  Show Profile

They say "better late than never"...so here I am posting...a few months ago our refrigerator messed up and would not keep anything cold...I had been wanting a new one anyway as the one we have was purchased in the mid 1980's...really good condition for it's age...until it quit cooling...but I wanted a new one...the one I liked was 1050.00 at Sears...my husbands nephew knew we were looking for one...just so happened someone had given him a fairly new one out of a house he was remodeling...he sold it to me and DH for 100.00...a savings of over 1000.00 tax included!!!It really was not what I was wanting...however...DH talked me into trying it...now I am very happy with it...cools better than any refrigerator we've ever had:):):)Needless to say I have not thought of looking for a new one in quite a while!!!and DH I think is a "genius":):):)

Hugs!

Judy

"Autumn~The year's last, loveliest smile."

Farm Girl #5440
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2014 :  08:03:56 AM  Show Profile
Judy, so proud for you. That's quite a savings.

Yesterday, after I had posted what I saved at the grocery store my sister called me from the same store. 8 oz. large sliced portabella mushrooms pkg. marked down for 99 cents - also 8 oz. whole baby bellas. She got be 6 pkg. of the sliced & 2 of the babies.

The mushrooms were still very good only the date was up. Yesterday I prepared the sliced ones - today I will be drying them in de-hydrator. The babies will be used in cooking.

The large sliced ones are $3.50 a pkg. The babies were $2.50 so I saved a total of $17.92.

Sara
Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2014 :  10:44:40 AM  Show Profile

Sara...My granny used to say "A penny saved is a penny earned"...seems a lot of great advice from my granny and mom and dad never leave me...actually the advice become sweeter as the days go by...life is just not lived the same as it was when we were younger...so sad:( Saving not only helps us get the things we need...but to be able to get some of the things we just really want:):):)

Hugs!

Judy

"Autumn~The year's last, loveliest smile."

Farm Girl #5440
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13564 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13564 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2014 :  2:28:19 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Later in September I have to take my kitty to the vet for her rabies booster shot and that means I need a safe way to transport her. BUT I don't want to spend big bucks on a pet carrier that won't be used very often. Found a used one at a thrift store for $2.50! I'll clean it and we'll be good to go for these infrequent trips!
Cj

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2014 :  4:01:11 PM  Show Profile
CeeJay, I found my kitty carrier on the side of the road in perfect condition. All I needed was to clean it up and it has been great for 7 years. I was delighted to find such a bargain!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2014 :  08:34:28 AM  Show Profile
Saved $44 at grocery store today with buy 1 get 1 for a penny sale. Good way to stock up on paper goods and staples. Got 7 lg. green bell peppers for $2 on markdown table. The peppers were perfect - don't know why they were marked down.

Sara
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

4892 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
4892 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2014 :  09:05:47 AM  Show Profile
Today is the 60th Anniversary of the TV Dinner! My granny use to save the aluminum trays and then we would make TV dinners out of leftovers, especially at Thanksgiving and Christmas and freeze them for future dinners. It was great in February to have turkey and dressing!! Since we did not eat them often, our next door neighbor saved us her trays, she was a single working mom, so my Granny would send over leftovers to her sometimes. I still do this but just store them in Tupperware.

Connie
Imagine....#3392
Farmgirl of the Month, August 2014
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2014 :  09:29:03 AM  Show Profile
Connie, in my late teens & early 20's I ate a lot of Swanson TV dinners too on those wobbly metal TV trays. Come to think of it Swanson was the only brand back then.

Sara
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13564 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13564 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2014 :  10:34:35 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
We don't eat out often, but when we do we pretty much do NOT order beverages with our meal and just go with water. Even a cup of coffee or glass of iced tea, these days, can be pretty pricey. And, I like GOOD coffee . . . many restaurants serve coffee that just doesn't taste good, or so old and strong you could remove paint with it!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2014 :  3:40:08 PM  Show Profile
CJ,

That would be Coffee BOLD in rancidity

Farmgirl Sister #5392

~Sharon

Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2348 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2348 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2014 :  5:53:18 PM  Show Profile
Hi gals, I love y'all's creativity and ingenuity.

Today, I saved 70% on fruit trees. The local nursery is getting rid of the leftovers from the Spring and getting ready for the new fruit tree sales. For example, $40 Satsuma for $12....got 4. $60 Persimmon for $18...got 2.

We're coming up on planting/transplanting season in late Sept and Oct. I always try to buy the leftover trees from the spring to save money. They're usually root bound in the containers and in need of a lot of TLC. BUT! I have good success in reviving them. I build up my orchard like this every year. Woo Hoo!

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2014 :  2:41:41 PM  Show Profile
Judy,

Michael and I went and visited the owner of the Mangalitsa hogs and the little ones are actually really cute! I believe that they are endangered. Our Large Blacks are. We had a cross that we brought to the butcher a couple of months ago but we asked for the hams, bacon and hocks so we could cure and smoke them ourselves. We didn't have time to work on sausage but have the lard and roast in the freezer so when we are ready...Michael likes to smoke meats. In fact he had to go to the hospital and was medicated by the EMTs along route. When we got there the nurse asked if Michael drank "No', 'Do you smoke?' "Michael's reply "I smoke hams and I smoke sausages..." It cracked us up It was our pigs in the sprinkler, they just love the water! I'm glad you got the haying done. In our area it looks like the farmers will get a third cutting.

Judy (wildflower17),

Awesome deal on the fridge!!! You go girl! I know that it's not exactly what you were looking for but what a blessing! I have learned to be content with everything, a growing process :) A penny saved IS a penny earned.

Sara,

Wonderful deal on the mushrooms, I love Portobellas and the baby ones too. They dry well. You can always saute in butter and freeze when cooled if you find another deal like that. I can't believe the killer deal on the peppers! That is awesome! The best price I have seen here is .88 each.

Connie,

Thanks for sharing! Ahhh, TV dinners I remember tv trays and Swanson's. I really dislike when corn niblets were in the brownies. I also remember when my brothers and I were kids Libby's had TV dinners named Libbyland Dinners. They had Safari Supper, a Cowboy themed dinner and a Pirate themed dinner. They also came with a packet of flavoring to add to your milk :)

CJ,

I hear you on the coffee! We don't eat out very often, I usually drink water unless I am craving something like a good brewed Root Beer or a Chai Latte.

Catherine,

Wow, those are some great deals!!! I LOVE Persimmons and what a great deal on the trees. Fall is the perfect time to purchase trees, shrubs and perennials at good discounts.

I apologize for not posting more frequently, I have had some bad days and when I have better days it is spent trying to catch up and can.

The past couple of weeks:

~Being more organized. This has been a huge help in general but with canning supplies too. I haven't bought any supplies thinking that I needed them only to find out that I don't.
~One of our grocery stores had Raspberries .88 per 6 ounce container, these normally run for $3.99 or more each. My mom actually purchased 24 packages saving herself tons of money.
~Made some Seedless Raspberry Jam using low sugar pectin. Saved money on sugar :)
~We haven't had many red tomatoes so I have been utilizing the green ones. I made Green Tomato Salsa and right now I have Green Tomato Mincemeat simmering on the stove.
~We were blessed with an abundance of cucumbers so I was able to make a couple dozen pints of Bread and Butter Pickles, I made some adding crushed red pepper and garlic cloves for my honey.
~I was also able to make some Relish.
~The piggies have been getting fruit and tomato scraps and loving it :)
~Today Michael and I went Apple Picking at Colorado State University's Orchard Project. We got apples for .90 cents a pound and some plums too. Apple prices at the store start at $1.99 a pound and the same for plums. I hopefully will be making some Apple Pie Filling this afternoon :)
~Plum Butter is simmering in the crockpot :)
~One of the local Beekeepers has an Annual Honey Pour. Everyone brings their own container and they fill from the vat of honey. The price this year was $3.00 a pound so $9.00 a quart. We bought 2. The honey is so good!
~Found some more clothes and things at the thrift store: An LL Bean sweater for $1.00, a couple of really nice button down flannels (good quality) for my honey for .50 cents each. Some copper stripping for 75 cents (I want to try making cookie cutters and this is perfect), a couple of Quilting magazines for 25 cents each, I am learning to quilt and want to check out patterns and tips.
~One of the local nurseries gives back 'Fall Gold" dollars (10% of purchase) for every time you spend there. We had accumulated some for the past 2 years and now was the time to redeem them. They match whatever amount you use. Since they have their 2015 seeds in, my honey and I opted for that. We got several packs of Heirloom seeds for $8.00. I think we are all set for next year's garden :)

I think that's it :)

Farmgirl Sister #5392
August 2013 Farmgirl of the Month

~Sharon

Edited by - Calicogirl on Sep 21 2014 01:31:31 AM
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2014 :  9:54:02 PM  Show Profile
I noticed a large amount of trash beside a dumpster in the alley. When I checked it out, I realised that someone had been evicted and all their stuff was thrown into bags and set out. I found a lovely Abercrombie and Fitch plaid shirt and a beautiful Perry Ellis sweater that fit me. I also found some sealed spice containers and a packaged corn muffin mix which hadn't been damaged. I also snagged some towels which I want to use to make a bathrobe.

I blanched and froze some brussels sprouts and green and yellow beans I bought at a farmer's market. I have an acorn squash which grew in the compost that I will cut into eights, cut into chunks and freeze for soup. This will be such a help this winter.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

country treasure
True Blue Farmgirl

452 Posts

judy
SK
Canada
452 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2014 :  6:33:54 PM  Show Profile
HI Ladies!
Where did Sept. go to where?? Family & farm life has kept us busy & happy so all is well here!
Enjoy reading these post & learning so much! Thanks for sharing!

Sharon, you gave our house a good laugh with your hubby's smoking story! Tooo funny!
We would love to see your Big Blacks! Quick pig question: What do you do with the extra fat? Do you butcher your own? We've raised heritage before & that's the only thing we don't like is a lot more fat. I know it's comes with the breeds! Do you guys call your heritage breeds "fat pigs"? That's what they're called here with the factory pink pigs "lean". But the flavour of the heritage meat is OUTSTANDING!!
What type of seasoning to you use for your sausages? We've tried just about anything but one that hit the spot was maple syrup, apples & sage.
OH, where did you order your maple syrup from please?
About 2 hours away from us a group of seniors have started to tap into older maples in the valley for fun. The syrup is to die for but it's usually sold out.
I just heard of a recipe for butter tarts using maple syrup....sounds yummy!

Here's some of the savings around here:
..canning, canning & more canning!
..drying the last of the herbs
..sold baking, meat, eggs & box lunches to hunters that have arrived in our area
..sewing Christmas gifts...well, more like started sewing
..making apple cinnamon candles
..had a mistake turn into a yummy thing....one of those days when the apple leather turned into dried up brittle. I broke it up & topped ice cream with it & hubby love it! You just never know....lol
..I like to look through the frozen section in the grocery store not to buy but to get ideas for quick meals for THOSE nights. I noticed pizza buns so rounded up the needed items with most on sale to make some. I put lots of garden veggies & browned hamburger on mine. Everything was pre cooked so after freezing they'll make a fast supper with a salad.
Mine costed 47 cents with healthier toppings.
..drying corn, Johnny cakes....yummy!
..cooked off red onions for the freezers
..apple cakes in the freezers
..harvested pumpkins, squash, onions & tomatoes....VERY GREEN tomatoes this year! Too cold of a season this year!
..swapped baking for local honey....it's soooo good!
..wanted a different patio table set & found one at a auction for $10. It used to be in a local 50's cafe so with some elbow grease it should turn out great.
..borrowed a new release book that I was wanting to read from the library
..cut hubby's hair
..still buying grocery store gift cert. for winter supplies. 2 more than the big city trip!
..found farm work coats at the 50% thrift store sale.....livestock don't care what we look like! LOL

SHARON, could you please share your green tomato mince meat pie recipe? Never heard of it before but certainly have enough of the GREEN things! LOL
Hugs Judy

country wishes!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 31 Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic How did you save money this week? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page