Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Vegetable Gardening in the Coastal South
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Vegetable Gardening in the Coastal South Next Topic  

thehomespunheart
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Monica
SC
2 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2006 :  09:17:26 AM  Show Profile
Does anyone have any info or experience on growing vegetables in the coastal south? (South Carolina to be more specific - near GA and FL) Several of my friends and I would like to start vegetable gardens and have not had much success. Thanks for any advice or help you can offer!

ByHzGrace
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

348 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2006 :  6:06:40 PM  Show Profile
Hi Monica
I love the homespunheart name good choice! Welcome to the board. I live in Florida and lived in SC too! I know the troubles of heat scorching sun and infertile soils. Are you on the coast like near Beaufort or towards the Conway?
Go to Top of Page

thehomespunheart
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Monica
SC
2 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2006 :  03:40:20 AM  Show Profile
Yes, we are in Beaufort. Do you have any helpful suggestions? I was thinking of doing some things in only partial sun - like morning sun and afternoon shade to prevent serious scorching! Thanks for your reply!
Go to Top of Page

ByHzGrace
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

348 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2006 :  05:05:32 AM  Show Profile
DearMonica,
I don't get here everyday...as you may have noticed and I sure hope my slowness in response doesn't dilute how happy I am to know another coastie is reading here.
I been to Beaufort. My honeymoon was on Hunting Island.
Loved the fishing and the Lighthouse.

Ok on to the garden ...yes partial sun/shade gardening is one way to go... depends on what you are growing. Flowers or veggies?
The single most important thing I have found to NOT losing plants is salt tolerance. Look in your town and you'll see what grows...
I am on a barrier island so this is a little more important for me then you, but you still will get salt intrusion from the ground water especially if using a well when there are droughts and from the winds in from the afternoon storms that blow in from the sea. Next is amending the soil. I can't seem to add too much mulch to curb weeds and keep the soil moist.I pick up curbside repositories of pine needles from my neighbors too. They are my brown gold. Start a compost pile and don't toss anything to the curb. The sandy soil burns it up too fast.Mulch mulch mulch right now all your shrubs/perennials for winter protection.Have you picked out a spot to be your garden bed? Solarized it?
This is the time to plant seeds of mesclun mix or what ever is your favorite lettuce,spinach, mustard, kale, turnips, cabbage. You can use a wash tub even, Just make sure it drains by putting holes in the bottom.
I planted petunias... and sweet alysuum this week too My christmas red and white paths to cheer
Ask away any questions? I'll check back in on Sunday.
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Vegetable Gardening in the Coastal South Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page