neeter302
True Blue Farmgirl

257 Posts

Anita
Hanover Indiana
USA
257 Posts

Posted - May 01 2013 :  07:29:47 AM  Show Profile
I thought these were cute. Going to make some and hang on my fence and let my grandson paint a couple, then plant with flowers to put on the picnic table.

Farmgirl #522

jenne.f
True Blue Farmgirl

643 Posts

Jenne
Wagontown PA
USA
643 Posts

Posted - May 02 2013 :  3:56:45 PM  Show Profile
Anita,
That really is cute!
I love all the bright colors.

~blessings~
Jenne
Farmgirl #4616

"Longin' to be farmin'.."
Go to Top of Page

neeter302
True Blue Farmgirl

257 Posts

Anita
Hanover Indiana
USA
257 Posts

Posted - May 10 2013 :  05:47:08 AM  Show Profile
Soda can flowers :-)

Farmgirl #522
Go to Top of Page

marlee
True Blue Farmgirl

1650 Posts

Marlene
DeRidder Louisiana
1650 Posts

Posted - May 10 2013 :  05:56:50 AM  Show Profile
Anita how did you make those flowers? They are beautiful!

Marlee

God is the painter, he paints the picture. And his son builds it, for he is the Master Carpenter!

Silly Boys Trucks Are For Girls
Go to Top of Page

lucky1
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

Liz
Homer OH
USA
52 Posts

Posted - May 10 2013 :  5:08:19 PM  Show Profile
Wow! What gorgeous colors, and so clever to use the cans as planters...I'm inspired!!!

I just love imagining what something can become...old shoes into planters for succulents, tough sturdy grapevines into makeshift fencing for a small garden area, magazine pages into beads...thanks for the creative ideas!

Liz

Each day is a gift--unwrap it with gusto!
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - May 11 2013 :  09:01:38 AM  Show Profile
Real pretty. M

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com

"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

neeter302
True Blue Farmgirl

257 Posts

Anita
Hanover Indiana
USA
257 Posts

Posted - May 15 2013 :  4:06:58 PM  Show Profile
Hi Marlee, no I didn't make these but I'm getting ready to make some. Believe it or not it's really easy. Cut the top and bottom off the cans with a knife, scissors, boxcutter or X-acto blade, Once you get started they cut very easily and are not sharp to work with like you might think. Cut the can open and flatten out over a table edge. Rinse any sticky residue off and dry. Then just cut out any type of flower templates in small, medium and large. I found lots of free printable flower templates on the internet. Bend and shape them how you like and hot glue them together or punch holes in the middle and attach together with a brad. The flattened sheets of aluminum can even be run through a Big Shot like paper for die cutting or embossing. I watched several YouTube tutorials, much easier and prettier than I ever thought...:-) Oh and you can add color with Sharpie markers or alchol inks, add accent colors or color the whole flower.

Farmgirl #522

Edited by - neeter302 on May 15 2013 5:10:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

pstill
True Blue Farmgirl

148 Posts

Pennie
Barnwell South Carolina
USA
148 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2013 :  6:25:47 PM  Show Profile
I take our soup cans and file down the inside edges and use rustoleum texture spray paint in a rust color and spray them, since my home is mostly primitive looking they fit right in. I have even started spraying the veina wiener cans too lol :) I get started spraying and can't stop, I even made the lid to a pickle jar "rusty" too. My husband threatened to take the srpay paint and hide it from me lol

The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody else up. ~Mark Twain

Pennie :)
Farmgirl #5381
Go to Top of Page

neeter302
True Blue Farmgirl

257 Posts

Anita
Hanover Indiana
USA
257 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2013 :  05:44:08 AM  Show Profile
I know what you mean about spray paint! It's so easy, inexpensive and versatile. I wanted to recreate a look I saw in a Martha Stewart magazine that was all red/white Christmas candy displayed in large clear glass jars. I repurposed thrift store jars and food jars....spray painted the lids a bright glossy red and put in the candy...grouped several different size jars together. Made a beautiful Christmas display.

Farmgirl #522
Go to Top of Page

neeter302
True Blue Farmgirl

257 Posts

Anita
Hanover Indiana
USA
257 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2013 :  05:54:32 AM  Show Profile
(from Martha Stewart) It was fun and easy, I bet it would look great in a rustic primitive theme too!

Farmgirl #522

Edited by - neeter302 on Jan 06 2014 6:16:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2013 :  08:51:17 AM  Show Profile
I remember a can craft from when I was a kid. You would take a beverage can and cut off the top then cut the sides into strips. Turn the can bottom over so the concave side is up. Leaving some of the strips where they are and bending some up, a woven backed rocking chair was constructed from the strips. It was spray painted and a small poof glued into the concave bottom. I saw this used as a pin cushion. I haven't seen one since I was in grade school in Wisconsin. Beer cans were the usual supply and sometimes you could see which brand of beer can by carefully looking between the strips. Love to find instructions for this.

Marie, Sister #5142

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

auntsmelly
True Blue Farmgirl

559 Posts

Jenny
Pitman NJ
USA
559 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2013 :  05:35:49 AM  Show Profile
What great ideas! Thanks for sharing.
I remember as a kid making luminaries out of cans. We froze water in a tin can and when frozen, we poked holes
into the can in a design. The ice would fall out leaving us with a luminary. A little tea light (now they have the
battery ones) and you're done. We made some with holes where handles could be placed. Great for indoor or
outdoor decorating. :)

If the only prayer in your whole life was thank you that would be suffice. -Meister Eckhart

Jenny, Blessed Sister #4359
Go to Top of Page

Lavender Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

1979 Posts

Brenda
Jackson MI
USA
1979 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2013 :  4:51:06 PM  Show Profile
Love the ideas here. The cans for flowers are so pretty.

I like the idea for the red and white Christmas display and the flowers are wonderful.

I remember chairs made from cans that were cut into strips leaving them attached to the bottoms of the cans and then were done kind of like paper quilling to make the back, sides, arms and legs. Wish I had instructions for them. They sure were intricate and pretty.

Lavender Rose

Each day we add to our legacy-good or bad. Our Daily Bread
Go to Top of Page

CindyG
True Blue Farmgirl

293 Posts

Cindy
Fairfax VA
USA
293 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2013 :  03:15:48 AM  Show Profile
I got a Dutch oven for a great price, and was so distracted by that great price that I did not notice it is flat on the bottom: no legs. Oops. So I use three very cleaned out tuna cans (not the white-lined thinner cans, but the more heavy duty ones) as legs under the pot. Nothing pretty, but it is a great use of cans.

Go to Top of Page

Nanniekim
True Blue Farmgirl

206 Posts

Kim
Arizona
206 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2014 :  4:23:18 PM  Show Profile
I love my Dutch oven with no legs. I use it often on my stove top or in my oven.

Kim
Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2014 :  05:32:09 AM  Show Profile
I make flowers from tin cans. I love them. After you get the ring cut off the top of the can, you can cut them into flowers with scissors. I use a cutting wheel to cut of the ring, but you could use tin snips. The one pictured is layered cans from a commercial/restaurant size vegetable can, topped with a large pork and bean can, and topped again with a regular size veggie can.

Spray painted. I put them on my privacy fence. I don't always layer them.

Patty #1840

http://ladygonegreen.blogspot.com/

A rind is a terrible thing to waste. Compost.

When they had all had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, “Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted.”
-Jesus in John 6:12 NIV Bible
Go to Top of Page

marthajane
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

Anna
Orlando FL
USA
196 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2014 :  11:39:20 PM  Show Profile
Hi gals! Great ideas and beautiful work here. Maybe dumb question but what kind of paint is being used? Thanks for sharing gals.

Happiness IS being a MOM
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6680 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6680 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2015 :  6:50:37 PM  Show Profile
I love these ideas for repurposing cans, especially the flowers. I really want to make some of the larger flowers that go on the fence as gifts. I can actually see cutting them a bit different and changing the colors and using them as a Christmas wreath or even a snowflake!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4714 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4714 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2015 :  04:51:22 AM  Show Profile
These are all beautiful and creative ideas. Thanks for the pictures, keep them coming please!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2015 :  07:58:32 AM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
The flowers are so beautiful! I may just have to try making them.

Julie
Farmgirl #399
May 2010 Farmgirl of the Month

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog ... Charles F. Doran
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2015 :  5:08:10 PM  Show Profile
Patty, those flowers are really beautiful. A great garden project for next year.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

kitchensqueen
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

521 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2015 :  8:01:06 PM  Show Profile
I don't have any pictures at the moment, but I like to make candle lanterns out of tin cans - I punch holes in them with a metal pick and spray paint them different colors. I've done jack-o-lantern faces for Halloween, stars for 4th of July, etc.

http://www.apartmentfarm.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2016 :  4:09:22 PM  Show Profile
yep,,, I luv the idea of repurposing tins into blooms... and keeping them out of the landfill....
Thanx for sharing...

Amanda,,, yep,,, we do that in the Autumn,,, to put votive candles in... luv it.

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page
  Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic Repurposing tin/aluminum cans Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page