Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Courtney
West Enfield ME
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2013 :  2:34:52 PM  Show Profile
Hey everyone,

Does anyone have any tips on how to add a little humidity to the air? My apartment has been so dry, as well as my art room at the local high school. My students have been working with clay which really sucks up the moisture in the air, but I have been teaching them how to reduce the clay dust by cleaning up after themselves and wiping down the room with a wet cloth. My apartment however is super dry and I wake up with an uncomfortable amount of sinus pressure every morning. please help, I could use some farmgirl tips!

-Courtney <3 Folk at Heart

I have been a miner for an art of gold <3

AnnieinIdaho
True Blue Farmgirl

437 Posts

Annie
ID
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2013 :  2:43:23 PM  Show Profile
Hi...Yes, the air is very dry this winter. My husband even started getting nose bleeds which he never had his whole life. We use a small portable humidifer we bought at Walgreen's. Most pharmacy stores have a model of some kind. The doctor told us to use it all day and at night to put it by his bedside. I know in our other home where we had a wood stove we used to put a big kettle on top filled with water and let it steam to add moisture in the air. One could fill a big pot of water on top of the stove and let it boil away, but put on a timer so you can turn off the stove before the water is gone. A good hot shower will steam up one room with moisture for you, but this year has been extra dry to us here in Nevada. Good luck on this. Annie

"The turnings of life seldom show a sign-post; or rather, though the sign is always there, it is usually placed some distance back, like the notices that give warning of a bad hill or a level railway-crossing." Edith Wharton, 1913 from 'The Custom of the Country'.
Go to Top of Page

FolkHearts
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Courtney
West Enfield ME
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2013 :  3:29:42 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Annie! I will have to pick one up!

I have been a miner for an art of gold <3
Go to Top of Page

HodgeLodge
True Blue Farmgirl

662 Posts

Tiana
Berkeley Springs WV
USA
662 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2013 :  4:03:33 PM  Show Profile
Dry here too, I guess I will have to run the humidifier during the day. I get so dry at night even with it on, I can't hardly swallow. Thanks

Farmgirl #4817-The greatest gift of the garden is the restoration of the five senses. ~Hanna Rion

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Hodge-Lodge-Clothesline/285366378259342

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13567 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13567 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2013 :  06:54:43 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
I live in Colorado, high altitude, dry climate all the time. Just the same idea of a humidifier in the house and/or bedroom. I, too, get sinus congestion at night from it. And, lotion companies love us,we have to use moisturizing lotions ALL THE TIME, as well as lots of and regular use of contact lens drops.
Hoping you find some help!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

teckelhut
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Sussie
Deschutes Junction Oregon
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2014 :  4:00:58 PM  Show Profile
Just make sure you are using a cool air humidifier and not a warm one. The warm ones make sinus problems worse. The only time you need that kind is if you have a chest cold.

Sussie of Teckelhut Acres
Heritage Chickens
Meat and Show Rabbits
Certified Naturally Raised
Certified Humane
Deschutes Junction, OR
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2014 :  9:49:56 PM  Show Profile
it has been pretty bad over here. that paired with the allergies. frequent steam facials to clear the sinuses is all ive done so far. winter need to end soon we can breathe!

"Wonder Woman hasn't got a cape, she just turned her apron around"
Farmgirl Sister #235
Go to Top of Page

heritagehunter
True Blue Farmgirl

207 Posts

Julie
La Salle Co
USA
207 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2014 :  6:12:51 PM  Show Profile
My Grandmother would keep a pan of water by the floor vents. It cut back on the frequency of my nose bleeding.

When I do get a bloody nose, I put a cold wet towel on the back of my neck and on my nose. It goes away quicker.
Go to Top of Page
  HomeSafeHome: Previous Topic Dry Winter Air... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page