Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Nifty Thrifty
 What do you buy at Amazon? Costco? etc
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic What do you buy at Amazon? Costco? etc Next Topic  

SheilaC
True Blue Farmgirl

1948 Posts

Sheila
Vermont
USA
1948 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2012 :  11:16:57 AM  Show Profile
What kinds of things do YOU like to buy on Amazon for good deals, and what favorite things do you get good deals on at Costco? Just looking for some more frugal ideas :) Thanks!

http://troutwife.blogspot.com/

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1401 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1401 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2012 :  11:58:22 AM  Show Profile
I mostly purchase books from Amazon. One of my favorite authors usually has a book waiting and I sign up for it. At Costco it's mainly food items, but not too often, because for one person they are usually a lot. I did purchase a few Christmas gifts there.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

lovinRchickens
True Blue Farmgirl

3435 Posts

Kelly
Pipe Creek Texas
USA
3435 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2012 :  12:08:34 PM  Show Profile
Sheila...We buy medicines we need at Costco. We mostly do over the counter things like tylenol.

Blessings
~Kelly~
Go to Top of Page

Carolina Farm Girl
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Mary
Darlington SC
USA
10 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2012 :  1:44:19 PM  Show Profile
We like Amazon for a variety of products. We also use Sam's Club to buy some things in bulk. I wish there was a Costco near us!
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2012 :  5:53:01 PM  Show Profile
Mainly books for me too at Amazon, but also anything else I can't find other places-board games, cds, diapers....etc.

For Costco it was food for me too-dates, quinoa, bananas, eggs, bacon, turkey, chicken and salmon.

But, also sometimes books, and sometimes odds and ends we needed-we use these chairs we bought there almost 12 years ago, all the time. In fact they were our living room chairs for about 2 years when we were first married. They are two folding chairs that are connected, and have a connecting table/cup holder between them. They are blue canvas. Every one loves them. We use them on picnics, block parties, etc etc. They have held up awesome, and we have never seen any as nice as them since we bought them. (the others are made out of inferior fabric).

I also bought my leather duffel bag from them, it's held up now on all our trips (several a year) for at least 10 years.

I'm sure there is other things we have bought from them, but that's off the top of my head of things we use ALL the time from them. We currently don't live near a Costco, but did for over 10 years. Now we have Sam's.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2012 :  5:57:59 PM  Show Profile
Oh and just today I checked their website and they have a kitchenaid mixer I want for the best price I have found thus far. I am heavily thinking about sending my DMIL to go get it for me.

We did buy a lot of things like that from them when we lived near one-electronics, pcs, software, batteries.

Oh I can't believe I forgot this, we bought my DD1's rocking horse from Costco. Cost 40 dollars, was part wood, and part stuffed animal like, and when it has batteries it neighs and such. DD is now 6. All the kids have enjoyed it including my 10 year old sister! lol haha It's still in the play room and is used daily! lol haha When DD1 was really little it was her "friend" she would have conversations with it. haha

Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2012 :  6:49:40 PM  Show Profile
I go to Amazon first to see if they have what I want before I look anywhere else. I'm even on their auto-ship program for Greenies for our pups. Once a month, I get a month's supply of their daily treats with quite a price break.
I've ordered appliances, my embroidery machine, lamps, furniture, food, clothing, cleaning products, vitamins, supplements and treats for the animals...you name it...and of course books from them.
There is no Costco near us, so I can't benefit from them.

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, and Today is a Gift.

"Look deep into Nature, and then you will understand everything better."--Albert Einstein
"A meal of bread, cheese and beer constitutes the perfect food." --Queen Elizabeth I
http://www.etsy.com/shop/StrawHouseDesigns
Go to Top of Page

Tea Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

645 Posts

Lorraine
Morris IL
USA
645 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2012 :  06:24:56 AM  Show Profile
I also buy books from Amazon, but I purchased food and personal care items too. Their prices are normally good, but they have specials too. Last year I bought organic canned pumpkin (on special) for ~ $1.00/can. Even if the price is close to what is available other places, its nice to have it delivered to the door for free (over $25.00).

Lorraine
(aka Tea Lady)
Farmgirl #1819
www.birdsandteas.com
Go to Top of Page

sjmjgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

566 Posts

Stephanie
Mt. Vernon Iowa
USA
566 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2012 :  6:06:33 PM  Show Profile
Actually, I bought most of my Christmas gifts from Amazon this year. I always seem to find the items much cheaper or at the very least comparable in price, plus you get the advantage it being shipped to your door (usually for free!). That for me was a life saver in itself. We have a Costco that opened up a few months ago, but I havent been able to get there yet. As for Sams, I tend to find good deals on staple items, but I dont go very often because I always overspend! Lol!

Farmgirl Sister # 3810

Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly.
- Dalai Lama

April is Autism Awareness month. Autism affects 1 in 88 children (1 in 54 boys, including my son). Go to http://www.autismspeaks.org/ to learn more and help Light It Up Blue on April 2nd!

Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2012 :  04:25:03 AM  Show Profile
We buy lots of items at Costco. Our eyeglasses, Rx, my husband's jeans, boneless, skinless chicken breasts, wine, organic carrots, butter, cinnamon, sugar, canola oil, raisins, Healthy Choice fudge bars, camisoles, rain boots, coats, towels, rugs, motor oil, rechargable drills and socks. Off the top of my head!
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

KatTylee
True Blue Farmgirl

230 Posts

Katrina
Mitchell Nebraska
USA
230 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2013 :  08:09:13 AM  Show Profile
While we don't live close to a Costco anymore (we can still make about a once a year trip) I have a few things I get there. Peanut butter, trail mix, laundry soap, olive oil, soy sauce, ibuprofen, paper towels, toilet paper, butter, spices, bread, and their orange juice. Amazon is mostly reserved for books but for quiet awhile I was using their subscribe and save deal on diapers. I think it ended up being about $.19/diaper instead of $.25/diaper. Otherwise I seldom get much there but I usually price it out first on Amazon then go to a brick and mortar store. We do end up with electronics from there though. A lot of times things like phone charging cord replacements can only be found at Amazon.

~"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."
— Oscar Wilde~
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2013 :  10:54:48 AM  Show Profile
We use Amazon's subscribtion service for bulk items like toilet paper and other stocking up/prepper supplies. You can set up your amount and shipping time. I also use Amazon for books, vanilla beans, utensils and tools, and anything else I can think of. They are a great resource and we usually get free shipping by being Prime members.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

I am trying to be the person my dogs think I am.

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2013 :  2:47:05 PM  Show Profile
Yeah Katrina, I've never found diapers as cheap as 19 cents yet. But, I have gotten them down to only about 2 dollars each on Amazon, which so far is as cheap as I can get and they are a pretty good brand. And seem to last and hold us pretty long. I also like that it's a brand that makes them wide but short so it all fits in the diaper covers most times. And the snappi fits across. Also it's the only place I can find toddler sized snappis!

Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2013 :  3:10:31 PM  Show Profile
Costco is the cheapest for organic olive oil, organic sugar, organic coffee and organic eggs and milk. I also find their organic chicken is cheaper and the packages are bigger than even Traders. The Organic salad is also cheaper, although it is a biiigggg box of salad.

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

KatTylee
True Blue Farmgirl

230 Posts

Katrina
Mitchell Nebraska
USA
230 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2013 :  09:57:31 AM  Show Profile
Heather,

Sounds like you're buying cloth and/or organic diapers. I was buying cheap disposables for that price. Cloth I was never able to find that cheap. I did manage to find some used ones at a local store where I lived for a decent price or e-bay worked well for the all-in-one or pocket styles. After about 6 months my daughter got diaper rashes really badly everytime we used the cloth. Not sure what happened but we switched to disposables so the poor girl could be comfortable. Luckily I am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel on the diapering. :) Amazon did work well to find some of the harder to find (locally speaking) cloth diapering supplies though.

~"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."
— Oscar Wilde~
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13556 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13556 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2013 :  2:43:35 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
We don't have Costco or anything similar here. There is a Sam's Club in a town 75 miles away and we used to be members and shop there a lot but many years ago decided that it wasn't really the best thing for us.
We order certain items from Amazon that we are looking for and can't find anywhere else, if the price is right.
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2015 :  11:54:25 AM  Show Profile
We are Sam's Club shoppers - I go every month, or two, or even three. Just depends. I've only just started to explore price comparing some things to what it costs to get via Amazon - but so far Sam's has been a better deal for us.

We are a family of 3, two adults one younger child + the two dogs. The kinds of things I buy for us in bulk are laundry detergent, fabric softener, T.P., paper towels, tissues, vinegar, and shredded cheese. And dog food. And certain meds, like ibuprofen caplets for us and children's Motrin for DS. And Ziplock bags for freezing foods. And baking supplies, spices, herbs...in the run up to the holidays.

I don't buy all of these things at once - I space them out - buying the commonly used paper products every 2 months or so. But a 2 pack of ibuprofen - huge bottles - will last us forEVah!

I recently got a tip to look for 100% pure maple syrup at Sam's and I'm glad I did! Four times the amount for only twice the price of what I've been paying at Aldi. Sold!

I see that Amazon has been pushing their Subscribe and Save feature - anyone have any experience or thoughts on that? Seems like it might be a good option, depending....
Go to Top of Page

J.F. Brown
True Blue Farmgirl

130 Posts

Jamie
Beaverton OR
USA
130 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2015 :  9:30:12 PM  Show Profile
We don't really buy from Amazon - sometimes a used book, but not much else.

Costco, though - we've been buying bulk coffee and toilet paper there for 25 years. It's the best deal I have seen on either. Also maple syrup and sometimes almonds or other nuts.

We bought more in past years when we were a family of 5, then 6, then 8. Now it's just 2, so we use much less.
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2015 :  7:58:22 PM  Show Profile
I love Costco. The main things I buy from there are diapers, toilet paper, and orange juice. I recently discovered an organic sweet white corn and fell in love. It is so delicious. Sometimes that is all I will eat for a meal! They are also good for their bulk toothbrushes and contact solution.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2015 :  11:51:44 PM  Show Profile
We go to Costco pretty frequently. Their gas is often cheaper as are some of their organic products. We are actually headed there tomorrow...well today, but at a more decent hour ;) (it is about 0230 here... I am up with Emi). Anyways, along with school supplies (binders, pens, pencils), we buy some fresh produce (mushrooms, peppers, pineapples, salad greens, organic apples and bananas), organic chicken, organic eggs, Canadian bacon, toilet paper, organic frozen fruits and veggies, occasionally gluten free pizza, coffee beans, dog food, and organic dry foods like tomatoes, black beans, oh and maple syrup and nuts. We have also picked up some clothing from there at decent prices, especially for the kids. Oh and I cannot forget bulk bags of rice, sugar, powdered sugar, and brown sugar.

Amazon ismy best friend/biggest enemy. Here recently we have been getting A LOT of things from Amazon. Books are still the main thing, but even some of their pantry items are cheaper, such as gluten free oatmeal. We have also bought some items for Christmas through them, including crafting items to make gifts, and Thomas the Trains for my youngest son. We are part of Amazon Prime which has even a huge blessing when I need something quick, but if I do not need it quick and they offer pantry prime money to send it normal shipping, I jump on the opportunity! Oh and the other day I also purchased items for Operation Christmas Child, including baby dolls, cars, toothbrushes, toothpaste, pencils, sharpeners, barrettes, and hats (each of our children, except Emi, puts together a box!)

~ Shannon

http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

bramblerose
True Blue Farmgirl

77 Posts

Canada
77 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2015 :  08:55:27 AM  Show Profile
We buy mostly DVD's from Amazon, but also camping/sporting goods, books, and toys.
Last week, I ordered a kitchen island/breakfast bar for our retirement home.
Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2015 :  4:33:52 PM  Show Profile
I have never been to a Costco. I'm not even sure there is one near where we live. I should own stock in Amazon and I make great use of being a Prime member. I buy probably 95% of everything on Amazon: books, music, movies, miscellaneous gifts, herbs, non-perishable foods, household items, etc.

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

True enlightenment is nothing but the nature of one's own self being fully realised-- His Holiness the Dali Lama

http://rachelsmithhhp.com

Go to Top of Page

Cissik
True Blue Farmgirl

578 Posts

Sylvia
Kent WA
USA
578 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2015 :  9:47:50 PM  Show Profile
Our Costco has increased organic products. I buy a lot of organic items from them.Cheaper. Amazon is a good place to shop for a lot of stuff. I often compare their prices to others. Sometimes find incredible deals.

Sylvia
Kent, WA
Farm Girl #5389
http://vintagehousegoods.blogspot.com
http://etsy.com/shop/Vintagehousegoods
Go to Top of Page

Denise Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

831 Posts

Denise
Shoreview MN
USA
831 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2015 :  05:31:22 AM  Show Profile
My sister and I share a costco account. The gas is less expensive most of the time. We are both empty nesters so we share purchases frequently. I use Amazon at holiday time for gifts for my daughter and son in law. I couldn't find the facial cleanser I really liked anywhere but I found it on Amazon at a decent price and the shipping was not bad. Amazon just opened a distribution center in MN and are offering same day or 1-2 hour delivery here in certain areas.

Denise Ann
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2015 :  2:22:07 PM  Show Profile
I love Costco for the number of organic items they carry now. We buy coffee, sugar, flour, toilet paper, cheeses, things for lunches, nuts etc, olive oil, if I don't order it from Italy. We have Amazon Prime so I always check prices there before anywhere else. I'm currently buying Christmas gifts. I hate to shop.

"Let us never forget that the cultivation of the earth is the most important labor of man. When tillage begins, other art follows. The farmers, therefore, are the founders of civilization."

Daniel Webster

Go to Top of Page

janjones68
Farmgirl in Training

40 Posts

Jan
Spokane Valley WA
USA
40 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2016 :  09:29:49 AM  Show Profile
We use Amazon's Prime. Pay the fee annually and find we save lots by not paying any more for shipping. Usually have the fee used up by early April. This year I've bought all the grain-free ingredients I needed.

janjones
Starting each day as a new beginning.
Go to Top of Page
  Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic What do you buy at Amazon? Costco? etc Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page