beekeepersgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1423 Posts

Luanne
Cresco PA
USA
1423 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2022 :  2:20:47 PM  Show Profile
It has been unusually warm here in northeast PA for the last couple of weeks. Now we are supposed to go back into the freezer this weekend with some snow. Typical March for around here.

Mom is out of the hospital and into a rehab center. She was filling up with fluid from her congestive heart failure. So far, they have her stabilized again. I am not sure if I am going to be able to bring her home and care for her here. It will depend on how much help I can get from home health agencies, etc.

I've been doing quite a bit of knitting to keep busy, and finished this shawl recently.

Can't wait for really nice weather and a chance to sit outdoors on the porch!

Hugs to you all - good to keep in touch.

beekeepersgirl #691

Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2204 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2204 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2022 :  04:08:06 AM  Show Profile
Leanne, I hope the rehab center is a homey caring place. Sometimes it's better to have trained staff available to care for parents. My husband luckily is able to take his 90 year old mom to her appointments and refill her pill dispensers, but if it she had more serious conditions, I don't know if we could adequately care for her. And now we have a large puppy to train! We'd planned to go on a vacation but we don't want to saddle his siblings with the rowdy puppy.
At least you have a creative stress outlet!

Vanessa
Farmgirl Sister #6754
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2022 :  08:26:32 AM  Show Profile
Good morning,

The shawl is lovely.

Does your mom have advanced directives written? Those are very important so you know what she would like with her life and end of life care. Here it makes a huge difference if the person should die at home or continues to get sick at the rehab they know what she would like.

Ahh, a puppy they do bring moments of amusement. no boredom in your life.

It has been very warm and most of the snow is gone. Today is in the low 20s and very tiny flakes are falling to not much accumulation.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2204 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2204 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2022 :  04:45:29 AM  Show Profile

Prim is getting better. We haven't had any messes in the house lately. Our little dog (pictured) is still scared of her when she's bouncy. My Oskar is like a mentor and drill sergeant and keeps Prim in line. But yesterday she slipped out and chased the deer into the woods. I was worried she would wander too far. Luckily I was able to trail her down the road and with a bit of pepperoni I get her home.

Vanessa
Farmgirl Sister #6754
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2022 :  10:58:57 AM  Show Profile
Ah those deer certainly are a tease for young dogs. Luckily, over the years we have only had one that was a chaser who could not be discouraged. The one we have now is not a chaser of deer....just chickens.

How is everyone doing with the hot flashes and mood swings? the woman down the road is just starting the menopausal discomforts and thinks she is going crazy. I for one am finally only having hot flashes on occasion. Although when I am cold at night I know it is only a matter of time before I am overwhelmingly hot for a short while.

Cold here today. We had a dusting of snow over night. The ground is frozen so mud season is held at bay and the roads are passable but very bumpy for now.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2022 :  3:11:15 PM  Show Profile
The apartment is so cold. I just don't get it -- either I am so hot I have to strip down to a tank top or, like now, I need to put on 2 sweaters.

Isn't Prim the dog that ate the cake that was on the counter? Sounds pretty mischievous. Good luck teaching her to behave.

Marie
Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9233 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9233 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2022 :  4:38:49 PM  Show Profile
Oh I still deal with hot flashes. It's either freezing or burning up. Not as often as I used to though.
I remember the days of thinking I was going crazy too.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"I am a bookaholic and I have no desire to be cured."

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/

Edited by - levisgrammy on Mar 29 2022 4:39:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2022 :  08:02:50 AM  Show Profile
Good morning everyone,

The Hit man came and slaughtered the six pigs and the steer. So many less chores to do now. I do not need to worry about the pigs getting out of their pen or the steer crushing their pen as he climbed out.

The steer's mother is upset that her baby boy is not in the next stall any more. She is due to birth again the second week of May so she will not be alone for long. I am keeping her in for now so she does not go looking for him.

Last night at 2:40 AM our 24year old son called for a ride home. The people whom he was with were supposed to drive him home. They went off the road and he pushed them out of the ditch. The car took off without him. He walked to a different friend's house and called home. I went and picked him up. I told him that those people were not his friends.

I am tired.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2204 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2204 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2022 :  08:20:04 AM  Show Profile
Marie, that is Prim! She also gobbles up anything on the counter, but I'm hoping she learns that she will not go hungry in our home. We have the fence back up and I painted it, getting sunburnt arms. The tick season started so I check each dog after our walks. The little buggers still get on me though. I'm no longer grossed out by it, just pick them off and wrap them in tape.
Poor mama cow! A neighbor down the road showed me his Dexter cow. She is a small, compact critter with short horns.

Vanessa
Farmgirl Sister #6754
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - May 04 2022 :  5:50:35 PM  Show Profile
Our new calf. Her name is Millie and her happy mother is Josie.
I have not posted a picture in a long while so I hope this works.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9233 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9233 Posts

Posted - May 05 2022 :  02:01:14 AM  Show Profile
Holly,
Those farm babies are so cute aren't they? Love seeing pictures of them.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2022 :  2:29:37 PM  Show Profile
Good afternoon everyone.

Summer is moving along. Too quickly. We have been cutting cord wood.

I am making an outhouse in one of our fields. There is a program called Hipcamp that is a staging site for people who want to camp. Landowners register their property and can set up camp sites. I have done this and the outhouse is for one of the sites. I still need to put on the roof and the sitting box with the hole. I think it looks pretty good. I have used material for the whole project that I have had around the farm. I am glad of that.

We have a fox that has been picking off our hens. I am not happy about that.

We also have had in the last week a porcupine move in to a grove of trees near the house. So far, the dog has not visited with it.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2022 :  7:19:48 PM  Show Profile
This summer was late to start and has caught up with the heat. It is raining now so tonight will be muggy.

I have been working on product for the art consignment store. I have a shop on Ribblr. As soon as I get some stuff loaded, I will post the link . . . everywhere.

Marie
Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2204 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2204 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2022 :  03:30:02 AM  Show Profile
Sometimes it seems that my life is on autopilot. I wake up, take out the dogs,feed birds, get dressed, walk the dogs, go to work, come home, go to bed. Thank goodness I have my sewing room.
Now my sweetie is demanding a room of his own in the sunroom, whichhas been the mudroom and catchall. So I'm moving stuff around. The small chest freezer will be the most challenging.
I'm helping my daughter move furniture and fix her yard today, and I'm picking up my quilted seaglass quilt.
This weekend Augusta will hold their Riverfest. Folks with cute riverboats used to attend,but with the price of gas and upkeep, they don't come anymore. Still, there will be pageants, vendors and music. I'm entering some cookies in a cookie contest.

Vanessa
Farmgirl Sister #6754
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2022 :  12:39:39 PM  Show Profile
Hotter'n blue blazes here which is probably a fraction of what some of you are living with. We do not have air conditioning. We do have a light breeze and we do not have a lot of pavement to hold the heat.

Our 17 yo son has been at camp for the last three weeks. The first week he helped make a canoe. The second week they paddled down the Penobscot River and these last ten days or so they will paddle around the ocean coves of Maine. A member of the Penobscot Nation taught the how to build canoeing class. I will pick him up on Saturday to bring him home.

hugs to you

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Jokamartell
True Blue Farmgirl

1408 Posts

Karen
Kennewick WA
USA
1408 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2022 :  5:26:42 PM  Show Profile
What fun adventures your son is having. He will have those skills for a life time. Sorry to hear about no air conditioning. There would be no way I would be able to function with a/c. Hopefully your heat wave will be headed out soon.

Karen :)

To quote one of my past preschoolers “Not one of those Karens, but a good Karen”! Haha
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2022 :  6:42:11 PM  Show Profile
My son had a good time at camp. His mentors said, he was a good time and helpful. Could we ask for more?

Temperatures have cooled down some. We had a nor'easter come through with rain not snow. I did not remember one with rain. The wind and clouds came up the coast and swung in across Canada and back down. Cooled the air and brought needed rain. Not enough but a start. Some people's springs have gone dry.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2204 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2204 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2022 :  12:55:29 PM  Show Profile
Last Saturday I was taking pictures of the Civil War Days in Augusta. One of the places I got a picture was in the old jail where a local, Mr. Koseruba, was doing a tour to a gentleman from Cincinnati. Later, Mr. Koseruba's wife said the man from Cincy offered to send me some videos of a reenacted skirmish. He couldn't remember my name, but described me as "a thin lady, with graying hair."
The "thin" made my head swell a bit. I've been holding at 138 lbs. I'd be less if I could resist treats like pumpkin muffins and chocolate. But what is life worth without some treats?

Vanessa
Farmgirl Sister #6754
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2022 :  7:20:23 PM  Show Profile
Yep! Soon it will happen for me someday. I checked in at 175 this morning.

Marie
Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2204 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2204 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2022 :  05:09:20 AM  Show Profile
Woo hoo! Good for you! The best thing is instead of buying clothes in larger sizes you get them in smaller sizes. Most everything I wear is from a thrift store.

Vanessa
Farmgirl Sister #6754
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9233 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9233 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2022 :  06:04:39 AM  Show Profile
Ah, Vanessa if I were 138 I'd be feeling thin. I'm heading down but definitely have to work at it. My goal is 130 so I have a bit to go.
I hope everyone is enjoying some cool fall weather. It is such a busy time and I am trying to enjoy all of it.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2022 :  7:44:22 PM  Show Profile
I'm wearing a belt with my jeans now. They are just falling off me. I must find time to alter my clothes.

Marie
Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2204 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2204 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2022 :  1:34:25 PM  Show Profile
My husband and my mother-in-law are visiting family and will return on Thursday. The dogs and I have been having a quiet time. Today I baked cushaw bread and took it to a church member who missed a step and hurt himself. His wife also has medical problems. A warm loaf of bread can help.

Vanessa
Farmgirl Sister #6754
Go to Top of Page

Jokamartell
True Blue Farmgirl

1408 Posts

Karen
Kennewick WA
USA
1408 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2022 :  6:29:27 PM  Show Profile
Vanessa, how awesome! Fresh bread is a wonderful way to let someone know you’re thinking of them! :)

Karen :)

To quote one of my past preschoolers “Not one of those Karens, but a good Karen”! Haha
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6436 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6436 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2022 :  6:37:21 PM  Show Profile
Vanessa you bread sounds wonderful, I can almost smell it!

Big Hugs,
Debbie
Blessed in Oregon
With Colorado on My Mind
Farmgirl of the Month September 2012, February 2018, September 2022
“My altars are My Mountains
and the Ocean.” Lord Byron”

When I am Old I Shall Wear Purple, I am Old now!!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 408 Gathered Up: Previous Topic Over 50 Farmgirls Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page