Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2204 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2204 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2021 :  4:46:40 PM  Show Profile
Holly, we moved to KY to get away from hurricanes. We got hit with some of the outskirts of the storm, lots of wind and rain.
Our former pastor is at Dawson Springs, where the damage is severe. His church is a headquarters for emergency supplies. Keep them in your prayers. Also don't forget them and their needs.

Vanessa
Farmgirl Sister #6754
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2021 :  04:07:36 AM  Show Profile
Good early morning,

We did not get the rain the weather guessers guessed we would receive last night. I a glad of that. The last ice we had last week was treacherous. I used ski poles to walk out to feed the pigs in the morning.

I remembered a funny story that happened to me early this week. In our pig room we have a spring. It is walled in by well tiles. It is about 15 feet deep. The springs in the area keep it deep enough to bucket out all but the driest times of the summer. I have a pulley over it to haul the bucket out of the bottom of the well tiles. over the top of the well tiles is a cover with a hole in it to pull the bucket up through. Monday I put my gloves on the side of the cover. I like to hand over hand the rope on the bucket up instead of using the pulley because I like to think that it helps keep my arms strong. I pulled the rope up to get the bucket. The rope coiled on top of my gloves. I emptied the bucket and dropped it back into the spring box. Whoosh. down went the rope and down went my gloves. I was so stunned I did not have time to reach and attempt to catch them.
So. now I need to find someone who deep sea fishes in my town and has a jig line with a hook and weight on it to lower in to pull out my gloves. I think they will not be of much use when I get them out and dry them because the leather will be very stiff. Life on a farm.

Hope everyone is as prepared as they want or need to be for the holiday.

Have a good day with moments of joy.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2021 :  06:08:25 AM  Show Profile
I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas. It was quiet here, just the 2 of us. All 3 of my children did call, so most of the day was talking to them. We did go for a potluck brunch at the clubhouse here. There were not many there, which did make it cozier. It was in the high 70s and sunny. We do not miss having a white Christmas at all.
Bob started both his chemo and radiation last week. We had spent many hours sitting there. Bob's kidneys are not functioning properly, so he needed extra fluids in an IV each day, which took hours. We are hoping we do not have that every day this week. So far he is doing okay, but his chemo will get stronger as he goes along. Hopefully he is supposed to be done on January 24th.
Holly, that was funny about your gloves. I hope you had an extra pair. How many pigs do you have now? You are such a hard worker. You do more than most men could ever possibly think of doing. You are a good mother, teacher and provider. I am sure your children appreciate learning from you.
Vanessa, sounds like you have a nice area where you are living now. Hopefully you do not see any tornadoes in your area. They are devastating. We only had a couple of small ones with minimal damage when we lived in Michigan. Too cold there for them. I do not miss the below zero weather from there. The year before we moved to Florida, we had 3 weeks of 30 below zero days. That is when it is sunny. Cloudy weather brings warmer air and snow.
My tomatoes and green peppers are getting blossoms on them, so it won't be long before they start producing. I need to get my green beans in. My herbs are doing very well. I got a dehydrator and dry my herbs. I have quite a few jars of dried herbs now. I like the smell of them.
Have a great day and hope you all have good weather to get out and enjoy.

Jan
Farmgirl Sister #3340

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2021 :  09:59:57 AM  Show Profile
Good morning,

We have six pigs now. The butcher date is April 1. We have to schedule the date for butchering as soon as we get the piglets because the person who does the kill and skin and the person who does the cutting and wrapping and sending out for smoking are very busy all year long. There are not as many butchers as there used to be and the good ones are kept busy.

We started to do winter pigs because the grain was less expensive and the piglets were as well. This year the grain is just as high in the fall as it was all summer. This year the grain is $16.99 a 50 pound bag and the cracked corn is $14.99 a 50 pound bag. That is $5 more a bag than last year if I remember correctly.

A fall piglet can cost between $60 and $75 a piece and the summer piglets if you can get one is $125 a piglet.

If my children were not teenagers who think that living in the city where they could hang out on the corner was an ideal situation they would appreciate living here. The older children who have grown and moved out are now vocalizing how good they had it here. So, someday they will appreciate what they had when they were children. I did tell them that if we sold out and moved to the city hanging out on the street corner would not be an option and they would not like being confined to the apartment because the streets would be too dangerous. They were not impressed.

I had a little chuckle when you were praising me, Jan, because I remember you telling us that you split wood with an ax or maul when your children were young to keep the house warm. That is a hero for me.

I was speaking with a long time friend yesterday and she was saying that she could not be around if the animals or chickens needed to be killed. I told her she could because she would do what she needed to do to feed her sons and be safe whether it made her uncomfortable or not. YOu just suck it up and do it.

So, far our winter has been mild. The cold snow has alternated with the sleet and rain. So, while we have received precipitation to fill the water table we have not accumulated the deep snow.

Have a good day.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2021 :  03:41:41 AM  Show Profile
Holly, you are right, I used to split 10 full cords of wood a season. I would count and split 100 logs a day with a 6# sledgehammer and a wedge. It was hard work for sure, but that was years ago. I was just thinking about that the other day how I miss splitting wood. Bob never had to do anything growing up, he has no idea what hard work is. I do miss hard work, I feel so lazy here doing hardly anything but keeping up a house and a bit of gardening.

Jan
Farmgirl Sister #3340

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2021 :  08:47:14 AM  Show Profile
Do not underestimate housework. Women have been providing free labor for generations in the home. Stop doing housework and see how long the guy can survive. I have been this - gone on strike - and I usually break the strike because I can't stand how awful the house became.

Marie
Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2204 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2204 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2021 :  10:52:34 AM  Show Profile
Now that Jeff is fully retired, he does a lot of cleaning, laundry and cooking. But he refuses to wash the Tupperware I pack my lunches in.

Vanessa
Farmgirl Sister #6754
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9234 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9234 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2021 :  04:24:42 AM  Show Profile
You are right there Marie. My mom was one of the hardest working women I knew. She did housework and also took care of the garden with my dad as well as caring for and butchering the chickens when it came time. We had over 100 and she would grade the eggs to sell. We all worked together at butchering time but mom did the brunt of the work. She always told me if I did what I should in my household I wouldn't need an exercise program.
We have two flights of stairs that I go up and down a lot on laundry days so I do get that in.

I think we will be taking the tree down soon. I like to have it up but it feels good to get everything put away too.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"I am a bookaholic and I have no desire to be cured."

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2204 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2204 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2022 :  5:23:19 PM  Show Profile
Every Wednesday is my day off work, but there was no lazing around today. Sweetie pulled out the carpeting in his mom's bedroom yesterday and today we put in the vinyl planks. We are sore and tired but it's all done and we are still married.

Vanessa
Farmgirl Sister #6754
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2022 :  06:49:58 AM  Show Profile
Good morning,

We have vinyl planks in our living room and dining area. They have not worn out like the formica floating floor did. I am pleased with them so far. I can heat up the ones that get damaged and lay a new one down. It also seems to be water resistant.

We have had very frigid temperatures several days in the last two weeks. I told people that if anyone complained they would be very happy to have the below zero instead of a tornado. People were amused and agreed.

In the last two days we have accumulated 10 inches of new snow. We had four inches of crust before. Now this snow will give us enough base to open up the snow machine trails and the cross country trails that do not have snow making capacity. We welcome the people from down country to come and spend their money and enjoy our scenery.

The boys are home from school today because it is a teacher inservice day. they are on their various electronic devices.

I left the cows in the barn because the wind was blowing briskly. Last year Josie, the milker, got pneumonia and I am more cautious about putting her out on single digit days. I put her son in with her so he can have his milk. He is a year old and still nurses. That is good for me because I do not have to worry about mastitis or what to do with all of the extra milk. I take what I need and he has the rest. He is a big healthy steer and will be delicious steaks.

I acquired two feral cats from the humane society last week. They do not like to put down the cats that are healthy but not cuddly so, they call me and I put them in my barns. The ones that survive the predators are great mousers. I do miss them when they disappear.

Have a good day

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2022 :  10:25:04 AM  Show Profile
Good afternoon everyone,

The good news is that my 24yo son finally passed his driving test. It took him 7 tries. The tester said, he saw him out practicing the day before. Well, he did not but maybe that gave the tester some confidence that he was practicing. He is driving my GMC Sierra truck. So, if he hits something chances are he will not get too hurt. Hopefully, he will not hit anything. He has been driving people home from work late in the night. People who do not have cars themselves. It is good that he drives now because sometimes he gets out of work at 11 or 12 at night. He works at a restaurant and closes some evenings. He is working extra hours now to help pay for his baseball team's fees for the season. I think he will get most of the money back when the players convene. So, far so good.

We received 15 inches of new snow at the end of last week. The children missed two days of school at the end of the week. Thursday for icey roads and Friday for too much snow to clear too quickly.
We are glad to have the snow. The groomers for the snow machines were out making the trails fast. Riding is a big sport around here.

Marie, I am sad to hear that your fair city is in the news again for police killing someone. How are you doing?

Have a good day.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2022 :  11:46:46 AM  Show Profile
I am so tired of this happening. I am also weary of the responses. I don't know how to feel about it any more.

Marie
Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2022 :  1:34:38 PM  Show Profile
Good afternoon everyone,

A very lovely day here in the north country. The sky was a beautiful winter blue with hardly a cloud until mid afternoon. The solar panels are producing electricity at a satisfying rate. Temperatures were in the high 20's. The wind was light.

The steer jumped himself into the pig pen again today. Three days in a row. Lucky for me the pigs did not follow him out today like yesterday and the day before. As the snow gets deeper the fence gets shorter.

Tomorrow the temperature will be above freezing so the snow pack should shrink. Most of the days this next week the weather will be above freezing so I expect that mud season will set in. The top of the roads melt and the underneath is frozen makes for a nice mucky drive with ruts to through the car where ever they want to without regard for where it should really be headed. Many years ago the ruts put me over the side of the road. Lucky for me a neighbor with a chain came along and pulled me out.

Two years ago the town won a Building Better Roads grant and the road crew ditched all of the dirt roads in town. The water slid into the ditches and the road stayed firm for the most part.

there are so many hidden springs that come up through the ledges that the road crew is often perplexed. Several years ago on the other side of town after a rain storm in the spring a 20 foot deep crevice appeared. It took them several days to fill it. It makes life a little thrilling here in rural Vermont.

I planted seed today. Onions, leeks, catnip and thyme. The other seeds read that they should be planted closer to the last frost. Sometimes that is the first week of June. Sometimes much earlier. A crap shoot at best so why chance a rogue frost with delicate plants.

Have a good day.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2204 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2204 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2022 :  10:26:35 AM  Show Profile
Today is so warm, almost 70, and windy. Time to hang laundry outside!
The wild animals are also on the move and driving on country roads can be a grim experience. I saw 6 roadkill from Brooksville to Augusta. Poor critters!

Vanessa
Farmgirl Sister #6754
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9234 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9234 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2022 :  3:50:58 PM  Show Profile
We had 73 degrees today. Spent some time at one of the local parks with the grandchildren. It was beautiful and warm and lots of people were out and about. Felt good to be in the sunshine!

My nephew is coming to visit for a week or so. Looking forward to some time with him.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2022 :  4:36:06 PM  Show Profile
I just heard thunder. We may be getting snow which is really weird. I love listening to thunder.

Marie
Sister #5142

Edited by - churunga on Mar 05 2022 4:36:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2022 :  07:19:11 AM  Show Profile
Good morning everyone,

We sometimes have thunder snows. Just what it sounds like.

We are having rain today. Pouring right now and for an hour or so, May take away most of the snow. we have ha pack of 18 inches or so. This will shrink it and start mud season again. Mud season our fifth season of the year. The weather is erratic and the top 2 to 10 inches or the ground melt but the frost line has not risen so it stays mud for a while eating cars.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

beekeepersgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1423 Posts

Luanne
Cresco PA
USA
1423 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2022 :  08:07:14 AM  Show Profile
Good morning ladies!
It has been a very long time since I have been able to read and post on the forums. Life has been insane the last few years. I don't know if any of you remember me after all this time.

Three years ago my mother's home in Vermont flooded from a broken water pipe on the 2nd floor while she was visiting me here in PA. I had to immediately move her here supposedly just until repairs were complete. Of course, COVID started, and it took almost two years for the repairs to be complete. Then Mom's health started to decline, and I have moved her in with me permanently now. I have been cleaning closets and purging to make room for all of Mom's stuff, and have a ton of old MJF magazines that I put on the barter page if anybody wants some.

Also, I had a wonderful man in my life for almost 14 years, and he was killed in a horrible accident about 18 months ago when a huge piece of machinery fell on him.

I now am trying to get my life back in order, and get back to some fun things like knitting, scrapbooking and of course chatting with all of you on MJF. I have really missed it. I look forward to reading up on what is going on with all of you!

beekeepersgirl #691

Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.

My blog: finallyafarmgirl.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2022 :  08:32:31 AM  Show Profile
Oh dear Luanne! I am glad you came to be with us.

We just got 5 inches of snow overnight. I was at work and could see it blowing outside. None of the residents came down from their rooms to go out and smoke.

Marie
Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9234 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9234 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2022 :  3:04:14 PM  Show Profile
Luanne,
I remember about your mom's house. I'm sorry about the loss you've had. I am glad to see you back with us again!

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2022 :  12:08:35 PM  Show Profile
Good afternoon everyone,

The snow storm that was supposed to start last night started this morning around 5:00. We now have a couple of inches of new snow on the ground. The snow is blowing sideways. The roads are not being plowed well. We are supposed to have well above freezing weather on Monday and the rest of the week so the road crews must want to save themselves some budget money. The state road crews especially. They do have many miles of road to plow and maybe they are tired of winter by now.

Our pigs have been escaping on a regular basis this past 10 days or so. I would leave them out but when they go down our half mile hill the neighbors get upset. The snow gets deeper and the fence gets shorter. The female pigs were all in heat for several days and that was part of the problem. It would have been good to have them in the freezer a couple of months ago but getting a slot at the butcher can be difficult. We also have a steer that is 14 months old who likes to jump the fence and eat their grain. The pig grain is almost $16 a bag which is significantly more expensive than last year when it was around $9 a bag so allowing the cow to eat it is not in the card. When the steer jumps out of the pig pen he crushes down the fencing and that is when the pigs escape. The hit man is scheduled to come on April 1 so a big worry will go away then.

Luanne, I am glad your life is settling down. I am sorry for your loss. How lonely you must be. I hope your mom is glad to be with you. Hugs,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2022 :  5:13:23 PM  Show Profile
Good evening,

We have had a string of unusually warm days for this month of the year. The dirt roads are melting and deep with mud.

Today our neighbors had their annual spring event. It is all outdoors with a potluck meal, a campfire and an egg hunt and an egg toss. It is a fun time.

I drove our tractor down to it. They live about two miles down the road. Since our son crashed our truck and we would not drive the Tesla through that mud I decided the tractor was better than the Subaru. As I approached a particularly deep appearing muddy section I noticed a car coming behind me. I pulled the tractor over to the side and watched as the car went into the muddy area, slowed and stopped. I did not know whether they were stuck or contemplating their next path through the ruts. They were stuck and happy to see me sitting there. They had a tow line so we did not need to use the chain I had brought in my bucket. I pulled them backwards out of the mud and they parked back a ways.

Other cars seeing their predicament chose to park behind. One brave driver who also lived on a dirt road chose to plow on through. They loaded their car with the more cautious low hung vehicle drivers and with a speedy start and no fear driving made it through to the other side.

I offered to give people a ride on the tractor. One little girl got in the bucket and smiled the whole way. She told me riding in the bucket was better than riding a camel like she had last summer.

I was watching the egg toss waiting my turn when a mother lobbed an egg to her young daughter. It went over the little girl's head and into my arms and broke. I was not worried because i was in my barn coat. The mother was very apologetic. I told her no worry dirty coat. A woman standing next to me said, I never wear anything that can't get dirty to these events. We had a good laugh.

Have a good night.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2204 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2204 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2022 :  5:53:58 PM  Show Profile
Sounds like a fun event, and you had a good attitude!

Vanessa
Farmgirl Sister #6754
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2022 :  6:28:17 PM  Show Profile
We've had some extremely warm days here also. Most of the snow is gone from the park and the football (soccer) teams are out on the field practicing. Because the soil is so tainted with arsenic next to the building I live in, I have been looking for ground in the park to plant the four o'clocks that my sister sent to me. The plant is very edible. The flower buds taste like lettuce and the roots have these potato-like tubers on them that, I am told, are delicious fried. The flowers are edible, and I don't eat them because of the gooey nectar in the bottom creeps me out.

I have purchased some containers to put in the back of the building to grow vegetables and herbs safely. The tainted beds will get all the flower seeds I have. I want to grow some vines up the side of the wall. It is a little funky in back because the alley behind the building is as high as the second story. The terrain is this way because of the park. I am looking forward to growing something I can actually eat this year.

Marie
Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2204 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2204 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2022 :  4:48:54 PM  Show Profile
I'm glad you got the seeds. They keep coming back every year. I have to pull the bigger plants because they edge out smaller ones.

Vanessa
Farmgirl Sister #6754
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 408 Gathered Up: Previous Topic Over 50 Farmgirls Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page