True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2021 :  12:22:03 PM  Show Profile
Hello everyone,

Good luck with the unpacking. I have read that if you have a box you have not unpacked in a year that you should take it to Good Will or some such place and leave it with out opening it at all. We have a box of stolen glasses from different restaurants in Ohio that has not been opened in maybe 34 years. Still sitting in the closet waiting...... for what?

When we were down to one cat I contacted the Humane Society about barn cats. They are a bit more feral than the humane society likes for house cats. The barn cats come with all of their shots and are spayed. We have seven new cats now. All female. One has made her way into the house and has taken up residence in our canned food closet in the open part that she can get behind the bathtub when she feels frightened. Two arrived yesterday and are secluded in a room so they can learn that we are home and not run away. One walks with C out to do the pig chores in the morning. The rest are in the barn. I feed them down there. I guess if they find their way into the house when the weather gets colder they will be indoor outdoor cats. For four of the cats we paid $25 each. For the other three they were free.
Living where we live sometimes the cats get eaten by a wild critter. It is sad but it is life here. I hope these live a while.....like years.

Our first son came to visit on Saturday with his wife. He is 41 years old. They live in Wisconsin. It was a nice visit.

Holly
farmgirl #2499

Edited by - Tall Holly on Sep 06 2021 12:24:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2021 :  9:23:26 PM  Show Profile
We lived on a farm in rural Minnesota when I was less than 6 years old. One cold winter day, a pregnant female cat came into the house from the barn. The next day a blizzard hit and lasted for 3 days. The kittens were born safe and sound. A drift of snow 5 feet high blocked the driveway. We found pheasants outside with their beaks frozen shut. The mother cat, whom we called Thomasina, took her kittens back to the barn in early spring.

Marie
Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2021 :  5:22:09 PM  Show Profile
Thomasina.... a Disney fan from childhood.

That was a very cold storm. Freezing birds beaks shut.

Today was a lovely day. Temperatures in the high 60's with a breeze. Hardly any clouds in the sky.

I bought a new chainsaw this morning. The cylinder in my last one burned. I was using the neighbor's fuel mix and I think she did not mix it as rich as it should have been. I should have just stuck to my tanks of fuel... It is a Stihl with a 16 inch bar. It is a commercial grade so it should last longer than the last one.

The cats are settling in. The black cat from the food closet is getting braver and sits by the back window watching the turkeys and guinea fowl run around.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2021 :  08:34:05 AM  Show Profile
To those of you who knew Mel Hawrysio - we were FB friends- she passed away on Feb 1. She had cancer and then got COVID.
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2021 :  09:01:25 AM  Show Profile
Hello Everyone. I have been away for quite a while -- so much going on and so little time to keep up. I will be retiring in November, and hopefully I will be able to catch up with everyone. I have been reading a few of the latest pages and it's good to see so many familiar names.

Farmgirl #6318
"Where there's a will -- there's probably a family fight."
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2021 :  11:37:38 AM  Show Profile
I received some shocking news. An ex- boyfriend of mine is in ICU and probably won't awake,. I wàs in his chart and am the only one left in his life who even cares,. He has estranged all other family and friends. I do not have a power of attorney and am just trying to be with him and provide a dignified end and secure his possessions. He has been homeless for the last two years and I feel somewhat guilty about not staying in contact. It is a sad story. I have much to consider.

Marie
Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

craftingram
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Karin
Nashville In
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2021 :  05:40:17 AM  Show Profile
It's good to see you back Marilyn. I haven't been on for a while either. Good to catch up with everyone.
Marie, I am sorry to hear about your old friend. What a sad situation.

Karin
Sister #2708

Romans 8: 38,39
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2021 :  06:53:47 AM  Show Profile
Rain, wind, and thunder today. We are having a bumper crop of acorns this year, so this storm is really a noisy one. Acorns pelting down on the metal roof and hitting the windows -- it's loud!

We had the remnants of Hurricane Ida blow through here a few weeks ago, causing huge flooding and even having some damage from tornadoes. The pre-school I work for is doing extra activities today to help keep the kids' minds off the threatening weather. Some of them saw some awful stuff with that last storm, so they are trying to turn the experience around with happy-funtime-play activities today. I am glad I am able to work from home. I usually do a payroll every other Thursday, and today was to be one, but I got a call here at home yesterday from one of my Directors. One of our staff was leaving for a holiday and wanted to know if she could get her paycheck a day early, so I drove into town and did payroll a day early. Worked out well because I am happily cocooned here at home out of the nasty weather.

I left the auto dealership two years ago in August -- just could not take the horrible customers any longer. The final straw was when a woman came in one day and threw her payment money at me...didn't slide it across the desk...she actually threw it at me overhand!! I had just had lunch with a friend who has the school and daycare and she had been asking me for years to come work for her, so I called her up and said I'd take it! His Dudeness understood -- it had been a long time coming. He had actually sold the business a year or so earlier, and was just staying on in a consulting capacity to help the new owner get started.

So I have been at the school for two years and it's a wonderful bunch of people doing some very good things for some very under-served people, but it's just time for me to retire. I don't have the edge I used to and I really just want to be at home doing the things I want to do. I think I have earned it.

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9242 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9242 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2021 :  08:42:07 AM  Show Profile
Marilyn, good to have you back!

Marie so sorry about your friend. I hope you can have peace and not guilt.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"I am a bookaholic and I have no desire to be cured."

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/

Edited by - levisgrammy on Sep 23 2021 08:42:35 AM
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2021 :  10:36:38 AM  Show Profile
Marilyn, Good for you!! I am so happy to hear from you again.

My friend, Dave, died in the hospital yesterday. I had been to his public housing apartment and found a document he had written two years ago when he had tried to commit suicide. It was called "Last Will and Testament". It was signed, witnessed and notarized. He was very intentional about his wishes for a memorial service. The hospital pastor and I used that document and the things I wanted to make him a nice ending ceremony. We arranged it so that all the music was at the end of the "service" so that we all could concentrate on the moment. Dave wanted a particular poem read called Let Me Go and he was taken off the ventilator during that. I held him as he went through the final stage. It is sad that his life had come to this. He was very charismatic and could convince a person that ice wasn't cold. He was very irresponsible with other people's money. Many left his side after such a failed transaction. I have my own guilt about this. I do feel well about staying with him until he died. I am glad I have had this experience. Now, I have to take care of myself.

Marie
Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9242 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9242 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2021 :  1:54:14 PM  Show Profile
Marie,
I am so sorry for loss of your friend Dave. I hope you will take care of yourself and let go of any guilt you may be feeling. It never does any good for any of us to hold on to it. Please take care of yourself. I am glad you were able to be there for him.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2021 :  2:21:35 PM  Show Profile
I have a very good therapist and a few friends that I can speak with.

Marie
Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2021 :  09:24:58 AM  Show Profile
Ran into town to the office this morning because one of my Directors needed a check. Only one piece of mail out of the 3 locations, so no need to hang around to deal with that. I was hoping to drop the check off and get home before the forecast storms began -- I kind of made it. While I was in the office I picked up the files necessary to begin filing what will be my LAST set of quarterly payroll tax reports!!! I am beyond happy to think they'll be my last. Came home and the 3 other neighborhood ladies wanted to go for a walk. We got in the habit of a daily walk when we were first shutdown for COVID. Two of them are retired and L next door is a pre-school teacher, so she was off work for a while during the first go-'round. We haven't been together for a while because L and I have both been working, and S has been undergoing chemotherapy for breast cancer and C was in the hospital with pneumonia for a bit (not COVID-related). She said "Just lucky, I guess!"

So it was really great to get back together and kind of catch up a little bit. Everyone but me has lived in the neighborhood since the houses were built back in the 70's, so they have lots of history together. They're all 5-10 years older than I am as well, and C and L are both widows. For several months now, L has been having really troubling intestinal issues -- cramping, throwing up in the mornings, diarrhea...on and on. She has been to every specialty doctor they've sent her to and nobody can come up with what it IS, just what it ISN'T. It has been so frustrating and we're all concerned. She had her daughter and family staying with her for the past few months while they were having a new house built, but they've moved into their new home now and she is alone again. Her next appointment is the end of October -- this time it's a GYN appointment.

I was just sitting here thinking how scary it must be for her to have these health issues and all this unknown going on, and to have nobody at home to share it with -- even just a hug for comfort or a word of reassurance or to talk it out with. I am so lucky to be where I am and I hope I don't ever give the impression that I don't appreciate it. That's about it.

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2021 :  09:37:05 AM  Show Profile
The last few days I have had a swollen tonsil. It started with a sore throat which seemed to be soothed with hot tea or chocolate. Then it started to swell and became difficult to swallow my own spit. Last night was the worst. The pain went into my teeth and my ear. I've been through this before and it was decades ago. I feel better today. I canceled a clinic appointment because I feel weak and don't want to go in ill. The pain is less and the swelling is down. This is excruciating however the tonsils seem to block an even worse respiratory illness from getting into the lungs. I really can't be sick because Lowell (DH) wouldn't know what to do around the house. Well, maybe he would but HE WOULDN'T DO IT RIGHT. LOL

I'm taking a nap and should be back to 100% tomorrow.

Marie
Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2021 :  3:19:31 PM  Show Profile
I hope you feel better. Call me if you need to sis.

Vanessa
Farmgirl Sister #6754
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2021 :  5:45:31 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

Thank you G for telling us about Mel. I remember her and would exchange winter holiday cards. She was a fun time and had a good sense of humor and very clever.

Nice to see you Marilyn. I have wondered what you have been doing. One of my sons has talked about buying a used car and I thought of the device you all used to have in the cars so they would not start if the payments were not up to date. I had a little chuckle. He does not have a car yet. Now with your retirement you will have more time to play the piano. We have a lot of acorns as well. We have a metal garage out back and those acorns hitting it sound like a gun shot.

I guess you were called into your friend's life at the right time. He knew when it would be right and there you were. It is good he did not die alone and the COVID restrictions were loosened enough so you could be with him. Lucky for him. YOu are a good friend, Marie.

Sorry you are not feeling well, Marie. I take the boys for their flu shots tomorrow. They wear masks at school and have had their COVID shots already. Some members of our family are fragile so we take the precautions to keep us all well. We were lucky last year we did not have even the seasonable cold because of the mask wearing.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2021 :  7:20:24 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Holly. I should be back to normal (?) tomorrow. I am waiting for the county to pay for Dave's cremation so that I can get the death certificate and clean out his storage locker. I still have to finish in his apartment. There isn't much there. I just want to get the stuff I don't want thrown out. Public housing has no sense of proper recycling.

Marie
Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2021 :  10:50:28 AM  Show Profile
Still a little wobbly here. Just coming back out our little road and had to lock up the brakes. A little button buck leapt up out of the creek and right smack (almost!) in front of me. (The creek happens to be called Buck Run, incidentally) I managed to save my coffee, but my bag hit the floor. Poor little guy made it across the road but then was panicky and became stymied by the wire fence. I'm sure he figured it out after I'd gone on. We have a group of 5 does lately who come and graze our oak woods every morning and every evening -- such a huge crop of acorns for them this year. His Dudeness sat out back with them for a while drinking his tea this morning -- they were too happy to let him be while they munched.

We ran out to the fairgrounds yesterday afternoon to drop off my entries for this weekend's fair. I entered a pair of ladies socks (knitted), a triangular shawl (crocheted), and a set of 2 dishtowels (hand woven). While I was there, I got to talking with one of the committee people and ended up signing up to be a volunteer at next year's fair. That's one of the things I have always wanted to do "when I retire."

Just finishing up my LAST quarterly tax filings. There's one more for tomorrow that they won't let you file until the quarter is actually over, but otherwise I am D-O-N-E. Such a relief.

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2021 :  1:15:54 PM  Show Profile
Good afternoon everyone,

Some years we have the Tunbridge World's Fair. I think it happened this year but it was not well advertised. I have entered afghans and paintings in the past. Along with the much prized ribbon the first three winners for each category received $3, $2 or $1. It is so very exciting for everyone who enters. I think everyone receives a ribbon for an entry. If there are not enough spaces in a category then it seems the judges make up a category so everyone wins. It is fun. I guess I should get it together for next year.

Lucky to see so many deer in your yard. We only see the poop in the woods. Probably because the dogs are so noisy.

Bonnie and I went for our walk this morning. It is about three miles. It was a lovely day. Last year she lost 11 pounds. The doctor was so happy and so was I. Bonnie probably did not notice or care. When eating is the number one reason for living it is hard to lose the weight. I don't want her to have to be on medicine any sooner than needed. She is almost 52 and we are doing well so far. Bonnie is my special needs foster daughter. She has lived with me since she was 13. She speaks in couplets and simple sentences and is the best helper I have.

The Jerusalem Artichokes, Sunchokes, are in full bloom. They started last week. Always the last to blossom. They are so cheerful and happy. I look forward to them every year.

hugs,

Holly
farmgirl #2499

Edited by - Tall Holly on Oct 01 2021 1:16:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9242 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9242 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2021 :  4:36:35 PM  Show Profile
Holly, It seems everyone walks here. We are in a cul-de-sac and the sidewalk continues on through all of the housing. I could start out in front of my house and walk around and end up back at my house. I don't know how far it is because I have never walked it yet. Probably should and now the weather is nice I will be out there more. Walking is my number 1 choice for losing weight and of course it is good for you all around. Lungs, heart etc.

We have been doing a bit of renovating in the kitchen and we are coming into the homestretch. Can't wait to get everything put away and back to rights. We had furniture delivered this past Wednesday and it sure doesn't look as big in the showroom. Have to do some rearranging to get things to be comfortable and roomy. Downsizing seems to be my mantra this year. It's okay though as I have found much I can do without.

I have been babysitting my 3 yr old grandson one morning a week and we have such a great time together. He loves to be outdoors with me and I am able to get lots done. He loves to help. I do have moments when I miss the old house even though I complained about all the things it needed. We were there for 21 years so lots of memories. It is a bit of a challenge to go from out in the country to sort of close to everything and the highway. But I am getting used to it.

I hope everyone is enjoying their fall as much as I am and hoping October is full of joy and peace for all of you.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2021 :  3:57:20 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

I have begun to brush hog some of our fields. I like to wait until the flowers have gone by so the bees and butterflies are not left destitute by cutting their food sources too early. We have not had a frost yet. We usually have one by the second week of September. The leaves are quite stunning this year. The shortening of the days have caused the leaves to turn brilliant reds, yellows and oranges. We have not had rain in more than three weeks so the rain drops have not made the leaves fall to the ground.

Yesterday, I lost a piece off the lifting mechanism on the back of my tractor. I looked for it but did not find it so I went to the Kubota dealer to buy a new piece. They wanted $178 plus shipping. I told them I would go find the one I lost. I borrowed a metal detector from my mechanic. Today we went out and after about an hour I found the missing piece. I was very glad. I have reattached it and the whole machine works very well again.

We had to put our old dog down today. I have been hoping he would just go to sleep himself and not wake up. He was riddled with cancerous bumps and one or more of them were making it hard for him to breath. He was in a lot of pain as well. The sad part is that when he was not wheezing or wincing he seemed quite happy. I will miss him.

sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1401 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1401 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2021 :  7:17:13 PM  Show Profile
I am so sorry about the loss of your pet. It takes a very long time to get over it.

Glad you found your metal piece for your tractor.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9242 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9242 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2021 :  06:48:23 AM  Show Profile
Holly, so sorry about your pup. So sad when we lose a furbaby.

Getting settled in here. The scenery of nature is beautiful here this time of year!

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

Edited by - levisgrammy on Oct 15 2021 06:49:12 AM
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2021 :  08:26:25 AM  Show Profile
It has been so long since I have posted. I have had so much going on in the last few years. We are still in Florida. This year has been hard. January, my youngest sister passed away suddenly, she was only 59. April my oldest sister passed at 77. She was the one I went out for breakfast every Wednesday for 24 years before we moved to Florida. 10 months before that her husband died of lung cancer. A week after she died, one of my BIL passed suddenly. Then in July I had to have all my teeth pulled because of meds and bone disease. Got new dentures in Sept. Bob had pain on his left cheek area and we thought it was a bad tooth, so he ended up getting it pulled. By the end of July, it was worse. Went to dr. and had to get a biopsy done. Found out he has cancer of his parotid gland. He left it go so long that it grew quite fast. He had 9 1/2 hour surgery last Wednesday and is now home. He had his skin removed from his cheek, plus neck muscles, and they had to remove a nerve that controls the left side of the face. They took tissue from his thigh and had to take so much that they had to replace some of that from his chest to fill in. Plus behind his ear. Dr. said it was pressing against his ear drum. He needs radiation, but we are hopeful they got it all. Won.t know until we get more tests. He is in no pain now. Will be getting his stitches out on Monday. I have not driven here in years, and never on the interstate and had to drive back and forth 14 times. Now I am a pro at rush hour. Terrible traffic here. I am tired. I will try to keep up with you. I am so glad to see this forum back up and running. Hi to all of you. Don't know who remembers me.

Jan
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9242 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9242 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2021 :  6:26:14 PM  Show Profile
Janet,
My goodness you have a lot going on and a lot to deal with. I hope you have had a chance to de-stress a bit. We don't realize the damage it can do to our bodies.
I am glad you have made your way here. Will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 408 Gathered Up: Previous Topic Over 50 Farmgirls Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page