churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2019 :  07:46:31 AM  Show Profile
Yeah, I will be doing some cleaning. Lowell's car won't start so he can't get to work. All the places that do jump starts are busy for several hours.

Marie
Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2204 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2204 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2019 :  09:38:29 AM  Show Profile

Signs of spring! I'm not sure if these are lilies or irises, but they've sprung up. The cold wet miserable weather will not last forever.

Farmgirl Sister #6754
Doxie Mom - Everyone loves a Weiner!

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs just need to relax and accept it.

The world is so full of a number of things I think we should all be as happy as kings. Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2204 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2204 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2019 :  04:10:57 AM  Show Profile
Wow, we have really been quiet lately, although our thread is more active than the other ones.
I enjoy my job at the newspaper and have met with our mayor about a grant that will demolish 2 ruined buildings and build a community center, and the school superintendent about better communication. On Wednesday I'll be at the high school to see their solar computer charger. A lot happens in our little county, but sometimes folks don't think to tell the newspaper!
Tonight I'm attending a webinar at the County Extension about fruit tree diseases. I need to attend at least 2 to go to the Field event and graft some fruit trees of my own. Tuesday is WMU (women's missionary union) at our church. A busy start to the week!
Did anyone watch Daytona? They had a big pile up near the end of the race. My husband should have no reason to complain about my driving now!

Farmgirl Sister #6754

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs just need to relax and accept it.

The world is so full of a number of things I think we should all be as happy as kings. Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2204 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2204 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2019 :  05:21:42 AM  Show Profile
Now Fang has flu A. I'm on preventative. I always keep a handkerchief nearby. Onion soup sounds good.

Farmgirl Sister #6754

Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2019 :  3:44:08 PM  Show Profile
We got notice that everyone in our park must get Hepatitis A shot because there are people in the park that has it and they do not want it widespread though out the park, so the health dept. is coming on Monday for free injections. I do not know who has it, but do know it is highly contagious. I just got B12 ad pneumonia shot last month.
It has been so hot here, in the high 80s, but a cool down in coming mid week. Just when my daughter will be here. In Michigan where she is, it has been way below zero and lots of snow. Over 200 inches of snow so far. She said she has never had to shovel that much snow in here whole life. I am so glad we moved here. I will take the heat.
I planted beans, peas, cucumbers, squash, peppers, chives, and tomatoes. They started coming up in just 3 days. I hope they can handle the heat.
Vanessa, hope Fang gets over the flu fast and hope you do not get it.
How is everyone else? Hope healthy and better weather for all of you.

Jan
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

craftingram
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Karin
Nashville In
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2019 :  05:53:36 AM  Show Profile
I tried posting yesterday and the whole thing disappeared twice! Hope Fang is feeling better and that you stay well Vanessa. Jan, hope they prevent the Hep from spreading.
We, took another load of things to Va. Fast trip, we left Wed and came back Fri. Two more loads will probably finish the move. We have a cat to take with us, not sure how he is going to do. Lots of people looking at our property here, so hopefully it will sell soon.
Tiny hints of Spring starting to show up! Hope everyone is well.

Karin
Sister 32708

Romans 8: 38,39
Go to Top of Page

bramblerose
True Blue Farmgirl

77 Posts

Canada
77 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2019 :  09:15:11 AM  Show Profile
Signs of spring!! I'm so envious!

We've been under a Cold Weather Warning for so long, I don't remember "normal" winter temperatures. Today it's still -25, but the good news is "they" say we should be warming up to -14 this week... and it SHOULD get warmer from there. We have at least two feet of snow on the level, between four and five where it's been shoveled/plowed up.

We went to San Diego and Phoenix for a couple of weeks, and wouldn't you know it, it was COLD, WINDY, RAINY. Only ONE day was reasonably warm, sit-by-the-pool for only an hour kind of warm.

I keep busy quilting and sewing... I sold at several craft fairs before Christmas, and I want to do that again. Local Farmers markets and Spring Fairs.

~Ann~

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2019 :  09:58:54 AM  Show Profile
I have been staying in mostly. When I was in college, I used to walk over a mile one way to school and back home in this kind of weather. Now, I don't even want to take a bus. I guess elderhood has made me less tolerant of this extreme. I've been doing some reading and embroidery lately.

Marie
Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2019 :  3:45:41 PM  Show Profile
It is good to hear from some of you. It has been so quiet lately. I feel for the ones that are in the cold and snow. Spring really is not that far away, even though it does not seem like it to some of you.
Here, my plants are all coming up out of he ground. I am hoping they grow okay. I had to plant my veggies in pots. We have a tree in our yard that we thought was an orange tree, but we just found out that it is a tangerine tree. It is just starting to bloom. It will start smelling so good very soon. The USDA come by about 4 times a year and check all the trees in our park to make sure they are not diseased. I also have a pomegranate tree growing. It is just getting some fruit on it. I picked one that was on there for awhile and it was really bitter. Tasted a lot like cranberries. I don't know if that is what they are supposed to taste like. I know you eat the seeds in it.
My daughter is flying in tomorrow night. She is getting worried that she might end up with a layover in Detroit if the weather is bad. Hopefully it will clear out by the time she gets there. She will only be here for 3 days, then she is going on a cruise and back home on Sunday, so we will not see too much of her while she is here. Supposed to only be in the 60s with 40s at night. Still warmer than she has now, which was -19 degrees this morning.
Have a great evening,

Jan
Farmgirl Sister #3340

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2019 :  8:44:00 PM  Show Profile
Pomegranate is very sweet. Perhaps one has to leave it on the tree longer to soak up sugars from the tree. I buy maybe one a year and use the seeds in salads topped with balsamic vinegar. It is delicious.

Marie
Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2204 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2204 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2019 :  3:20:58 PM  Show Profile
We got snow yesterday, it is still cold but the snow is melting away slowly. Fang is getting better, but still coughs. He says he'll be better by Wednesday. Liver and onions tonight!

Farmgirl Sister #6754

Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2019 :  4:35:33 PM  Show Profile
I love liver and onions. Bob does not, so if I have it, it is in a restaurant.
My daughter just made it here, but we will not see her until tomorrow. Hope to go to Sea World and spend the day.
Marie, thanks for the info on pomegranates. There are some just starting on the tree, so I will let them on there longer. I was curious as to what they looked like in the inside. I am sure when they are ripe that I would like them. I love fruit. Could live on fruits and veggies.
We have a bird here that is loud and sings all night long. I counted 15 different songs he sang, and don't know if I got them all. Never heard a bird like that until last year here. Just started hearing it again, so must migrate somewhere for the winter and come back for the summer. Bob and I both were kept awake most of the night. Very annoying, even though it is such a pretty sounding bird. BUT it should sing during the day when people can enjoy it!!! LOL!!!
We had some rain early this morning then it turned sunny and warm, 87 degrees. Tomorrow it will be 62 and tomorrow night down to 43 degrees. Only for a couple of days, then back to the warm weather again. At least we will not be getting frost.
Karin, I do not envy you with moving. Hope you sell your house quickly so you will not have to travel back and forth.
Ann, Hope it warms up in Canada soon. I know how long winters can be with a lot of snow and cold.
Have a great evening,

Jan
Farmgirl Sister #3340

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2019 :  11:26:48 AM  Show Profile
Heck, we may have temperatures as warm as +20 degrees here in the next few days. Might just go around in a t-shirt and shorts. LOL

Marie
Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2019 :  2:51:23 PM  Show Profile
Spent 2 days with my daughter and boyfriend. We walked and walked and walked!!! We went to Sea world the first day and yesterday we shopped in all the gift shops in Kissimmee. Now they are out to see on their cruise, so I will not see them before they go back home. It was a fast 2 days, that's for sure. was cold both days, but it did stop raining for us to go to Sea World. Today it warmed from 43 degrees to 76 degrees. I am glad they will have nice warm weather the rest of their vacation. They are tired of below zero weather and snow, snow, snow.

Marie, I bet it does feel like a heat wave after all that cold. Hope you get an early spring now. Enough is enough, huh?

Today we had to pick up some groceries, then we just took it easy the rest of the day. We are not young anymore. My bones hurt.

Hope all are well. Have a great evening,

Jan
Farmgirl Sister #3340

Go to Top of Page

bramblerose
True Blue Farmgirl

77 Posts

Canada
77 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2019 :  08:50:52 AM  Show Profile
We have snow falling this morning. Expected to get up to 8 inches. Hurray. Not.

Spring WILL come, I know.

I've been busy sewing (tops for quilted table runners and placemats) and doing spring cleaning. When spring does come, I'll be done, unless it takes so long arriving that I have to start over.

Made a chocolate cake for husband this morning.

A cozy day indoors is today's plan.

~Ann~

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2019 :  09:20:52 AM  Show Profile
A cr*pload of snow is scheduled for tomorrow. I have seen this much snow here before but not this late in the winter. I have to start getting out again. Starting on Monday, I will make it mandatory for myself to get on a bus and go somewhere even if it is just to the library. I've been cooped up and depressed for too long.

Marie
Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2019 :  2:48:04 PM  Show Profile
Ann, hopefully the snow you get will melt quickly. Winter has been harsh on most of the country. I thought that groundhog said spring was just around the corner. What corner was that?

Marie, get out and go somewhere. You do not need to go into a deep depression. Are you able to go where you used to have game day? I know you are living in a different apartment complex. Have you met any neighbors you can do things with?

I got around 80 here today, finally over our cold spell, I think. Every time I wash and put away the extra quilts and long pants, it gets cold again and need to wear again.

We are hoping to go home to Upper Michigan this summer for vacation. We have not been home in 3 years. We have to wait until late July, after all of our Dr. appointments. It will be my 50th class reunion get together the 2nd and 3rd of August, so maybe I will be able to go to that when we get there. There are a lot of classmates that are no longer with us now. Boy, I am getting old!!!!

Jan
Farmgirl Sister #3340

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2019 :  10:11:51 AM  Show Profile
I must confess that I haven't been taking care of myself. I don't brush my teeth, take my anti-depressants or eat well. Mitzi is dying. It's just a matter of when. I want to take her body out to my parents' place and bury her in their pet cemetery. They have a ton of snow and the ground is frozen. I try to tell myself that she can wait until the snow melts. She is not uncomfortable just sad. I know I am being selfish. It also costs a bit of money to have the vet's take care of the body. I am so distracted by this whole thing that I am messing my days up. I went to the library today to attend a needlework group and learned that it met last Saturday. I took my medication today and am so sad. Later.

Marie
Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2019 :  3:51:36 PM  Show Profile
Marie, I really feel for you. I went through that with our last dog and we were hoping she would die in her sleep. She just got worse and worse and we finally had to take her in and pay to have her put to sleep, and also to take her and bury her, It was in Feb. and frozen ground. All I can say is take one day at a time. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Do take care of yourself. You need the strength right now to get you through this. Maybe a visit to your parents? When I need to get my mind off of things, I will start a jigsaw puzzle, or knit, something that I have to concentrate on.

I need to get a picture of my plants. They are growing so well. I hope they stay that way. It gets so hot here and we do not have any shade. Our huge tangerine tree is now in full bloom. It smells so good in our back yard.

Jan
Farmgirl Sister #3340

Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2204 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2204 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2019 :  4:35:13 PM  Show Profile
Marie, I also ache for you. Mitzi is a sweet dog and has been with you for such a long time. Please take care of yourself. If only I didn't have my job, I'd go and pick you up.
We had rain, thunder and a little lightning today. We try to get the dogs outside, but they say "forget that!"

Farmgirl Sister #6754

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2019 :  7:11:17 PM  Show Profile
I'm feeling better now. Mitzi is eating canned dog food as I thought she would. Lowell just causes me to question everything I know about taking care of dying animals. I've accompanied two so far. He has not. Thank you both for the support

Marie
Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2019 :  2:12:22 PM  Show Profile
Marie, glad you are feeling better. It is good to vent. Lowell, like a lot of men do not have the understanding or compassion that we need sometimes. Hope things work out for you.

I do not like the time change. I did not want to get up this morning, an hour earlier, but I have a cat that gets in my face to tell me it is time to get up. Now eating and hour earlier in something else. Seems we just changed the clocks not that long ago.

It is now 87 degrees out. Was 65 when we got up. Not bad for March. Bob's allergies are real bad right now with all the trees budding and things in bloom. I do not have allergies, thank goodness!! I hope the rest of you have a spring roll in pretty soon.

My daughter went on a cruise and should be back at port tomorrow, but we will not see them before they have to board the plane home. I have not heard from her yet, am hoping they had a great time and did not get sea sick.

I have been getting emails from my best friend from school, have not heard from her in many, many years, even though we lived in the same town. We are hoping to get together at our 50th high school reunion. She invited us to stay with her if we want. I am not sure about that. It will e nice to see a lot of our old school mates. We had a class of 330 and 65 are no longer with us. Not a spring chicken anymore, that I for sure.

Have a great evening,

Jan
Farmgirl Sister #3340

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2019 :  2:29:53 PM  Show Profile
I started taking my meds again. I went to church today and stayed after to ask about increasing my involvement there. I'm going down for a read and nap right now.

Marie
Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2019 :  3:18:16 PM  Show Profile
I grilled ribeye steaks tonight out on the grill. Seems I have been grilling out almost every other day. It has been hot here, but I am not complaining. We had a water main break somewhere in the park, so we were out of water for a few hours. Seems when you d not have something, that is when you need it the most. Now we are in a boil water advisory until the water is tested safe. We have lots of bottled water.

Marie, so glad you are back on your meds. I do believe going to church is good for the soul. People do care.

Have a great evening,

Jan
Farmgirl Sister #3340

Go to Top of Page

bramblerose
True Blue Farmgirl

77 Posts

Canada
77 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2019 :  08:09:36 AM  Show Profile
We bbq'd steak on Sunday, even though we have two feet of snow on the ground. BUT it was finally just above freezing, for the first time since before Christmas, so it felt pretty balmy. The steak tasted incredible, too.

We've now had two days above freezing... maybe, fingers crossed!

Marie, one day at a time, one step at a time.

~Ann~

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 408 Gathered Up: Previous Topic Over 50 Farmgirls Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page