Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2204 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2204 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2018 :  6:14:35 PM  Show Profile

I'll post better pictures later, but this is the fabric I got in Seoul.

And this is the fabric I got in Tokyo. Plus I have facial masks, stickers, a Godzilla mug, and eco-bags. Fang has told me "no more souvenirs". They are all in the bigger suitcase!

Farmgirl Sister #6754
Doxie Mom - Everyone loves a Weiner!

Today me will live in the moment unless it's unpleasant, in which case me will eat a cookie.
Cookie Monster
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2018 :  05:36:06 AM  Show Profile
I think material are not souvenirs. smiling smugly.

Have a great time.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2018 :  07:57:07 AM  Show Profile
Vanessa--the material looks sumptuous. I would like to visit Japan. Such a clean and polite society.
Holly--I hope you find a place for the bees. Good luck to DsT on his new job. Sounds like your hens are very content and happy to be laying so many eggs.
I planted 3 kinds of radishes in large pots yesterday. Planted sugar snap peas the day before. Spring cannot make up its mind whether or not it's really here. I have seen some butterflies. I got a pineapple so I made scalloped pineapple last night. Might make pineapple-bacon pizza tonight. I love fresh pineapple.
Marie--hope your winter is over soon. The pictures I've seen from Minnesota make me shiver.
Jan--hope you had a good birthday. My neighbor just celebrated her 85th. birthday.
My cousin became a grandma for the first time yesterday. It was a boy.
Cindy

Medicated AND Motivated!

I'll be Thelma. You be Louise.

Caught somewhere between girl on fire and girl on the verge of a nervous breakdown.

Choosy moms choose Prozac.
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2018 :  08:17:05 AM  Show Profile
Japan is a very polite and clean place. The streets and sidewalks are devoid of trash and the floors of the public transit vehicles are pristine. Everyone is moving with a purpose. I saw two guys who were obviously intoxicated. One was carefully moving up the stairs in a train station and the other was sleeping on the train I took to the university every morning. When Japanese men get drunk, their faces turn red as a tomato. It is startling to see the first time.

I had some garlic sprout and planted them in pots. They are growing very well. I found two parsnips that also sprouted. I am not certain how they will do. I wish I had just a little bit of land to grow lettuce, beans and tomatoes on. Maybe I can get permission to plant on the boulevard.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2018 :  4:11:04 PM  Show Profile
Vanessa, love all the fabric you bought. Let us know what you will be making with it all. Hope you are enjoying your vacation. Sounds so relaxing.
Marie, I just found all my seeds I bought earlier and they had gotten wet and were all stuck together. I threw them out and just told myself that I do not have room to plant them anyway. I do miss having my greenhouse set up. I am not allowed to have it here.
Cindy, fresh pineapple is so good for you. It burns my stomach though, so instead of pineapple, I will eat mangos. We bought a watermelon today. They are just coming into season here now. Funny. Strawberry season is December through March, now it is blueberry picking time. I hope to get some for the freezer.
Holly, I hope your bees survive the cold. Hopefully it will warm up fast for you. Your trees should be okay until the ground decides to thaw. I sure do not miss all the cold weather we used to have when I lived in Michigan. We laugh now, if it get down to 60 degrees, we wear jackets. Even Olivia with her fur coat shivers. Guess we are true Floridians!! LOL!!!
We finally got everything cleaned out and got rid of a lot of stuff we will never use again. Ended up with twice the stuff in the storage room, and only took up half the space. The Florida room(sun room) is all set up now too, just need to shampoo the carpet and we are all done Just my craft room to organize a bit better. I am getting in the mood to sew.
Have a great evening

Jan
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2204 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2204 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2018 :  01:11:38 AM  Show Profile

We are visiting my daughter in Misawa, which is in northwen Honshu. It is a farming and military town, and not as congested as Tokyo. Unfortunately there is garbage in empty lots, but they have a robust recycling program. Kathryn's house has 4 bedrooms and a toilet room and a shower room. We went to thrift stores and I bought 3 kimonos for very cheap (they will need cleaning) and a small side table that she will send to us. The cherry trees are in bloom and we'll be going to see a giant Buddha and a castle tomorrow.

Farmgirl Sister #6754

Today me will live in the moment unless it's unpleasant, in which case me will eat a cookie.
Cookie Monster
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2018 :  05:19:34 AM  Show Profile
The bathrooms in Japanese homes are very interesting. Most homes have a separate room for the toilet and the bathroom. Taking a proper bath is a communal activity in Japan although men and women are separated where there are Americans. Much of Honshu is a reservation for the aboriginals of Japan called Ainu. I would like to see pictures of some of the artifacts from this culture if possible.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2018 :  3:20:52 PM  Show Profile
That is a beautiful home. Nice pictures. It is interesting learning different cultures and how they live.
It got to 87 degrees today, I am glad we are done sorting stuff and are all moved in before summer. Starting to heat up here now. Anyone want some sunshine and warm weather? Wish I could send some your way. Hopefully you are done with snow now. We need rain here, but this time of the year is our dry season. Summer will be the rainy time along with hurricanes.
I have fabric cut for curtains in the sun room, maybe tomorrow I will get them sewn. Only one window and one door, the rest have blinds. We picked up garden soil for a section on the other side of the house. I will need plants that do not need full sun, since it is in the shade mostly. That is all the gardening I need to do right now. I may plant my 3 pineapple plants there. I think they are getting too much sun where they are now in pots.
Hope all are doing well. Have a great evening,

Jan
Farmgirl Sister #3340

Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2018 :  10:44:49 AM  Show Profile
Jan--please send some sunshine this way--spring is way too late!
I traveled around the world yesterday, and stayed in my town. There were all kinds od cultural events going on at different restaurants and other places. I listened to French music, Native American songs and drumming (the music seems to actually come from inside you when you listen to the drumming), got to meet a Muslim (and sample samosa) and listened to the band Raw Earth, which played a mixture of middle Eastern meets Eastern European music. I found out, once again, that I can't drink wine--something in it seems to trigger an asthma attack. It was a nice day, a bit breezy, but nice weather for a change. Today is warm but overcast, looks like it might rain later.
Hope everyone is enjoying their Sunday.
Cindy

Medicated AND Motivated!

Caught somewhere between girl on fire and girl on the verge of a nervous breakdown.

Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2204 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2204 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2018 :  3:38:11 PM  Show Profile
Almost home! We endured the 12 hour flight & are in Toronto now. I will be happy to be at home (until I forget how rigorous travelling is). Poor Fang was squished in a tight seat! I've developed an obsession for the Asian "bubble gum" machines, which have little prizes like manga, Pokemon, or cultural figurines. They are so cute!

Farmgirl Sister #6754

Cookie Monster
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2018 :  4:23:26 PM  Show Profile
Vanessa, I am sure you will feel good to get home and back to normal. Hopefully you are coming home to warmer weather now.
Cindy, Hope your weather improves there too. We got some rain a little while ago. It is funny how the weather here changes. It will be sunny and hot, then all of a sudden it will get real windy, then rain for about 10 minutes, then the sun will come back out and no wind. But then it tends to get more humid.
We are so glad to have central air now. We went 3 summers with being so hot in the rv not to mention all the electric problems we have had, from getting hit by lightning to a hurricane. I still love it here though. I don't think I could ever live with such cold weather again.
Finally got to do some sewing today. I made curtains for a door and a window in the Florida room. Dresses it up in there.
Have a great evening,

Jan
Farmgirl Sister #3340

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2018 :  5:16:45 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

A very lovely day here in the Green Mountains. The sun shone all day as it did yesterday. I was so glad to have the sunshine after so many long days of being overcast.

Yesterday, I picked up the bare root bushes from the Winooski Conservation District. We still have snow on the fields. I was listening to the radio the speaker said that because of the 8 feet of new snow the ski areas had received in March there were five areas that would still be open for skiing through the first weekend of May. We do not have that much snow on the ground.

Today I picked up a three pound package of bees that I had ordered and installed them in the hive. The queen comes in a little box of her own and the worker bees eat the candy out of the hole to let her out into the hive. I hope they complete that job tomorrow. I will give them sugar water for a while until the trees and flowers are in bloom.
Big dsR and I planted most of the plants I picked up yesterday. The ground even under the snow is thawed for 5 or more inches down. I have new plantings of hazelnuts, witch hazel, elderberries, raspberries, apricots and tall bush cranberries. I still have black walnut and two blueberries to plant. I am thinking that I will take the black walnut to some public places in town along the river and plant them at the edges of the opportunistic Japanese knot weed. I spoke with someone last year who said in her yard the knotweed would not grow under the black walnuts.

I guess you are home by now, V. I hope that you recover from the jet lag soon. I can fully understand Fangs being squished into a chair on the plane. I used to like to sit next to the window when I flew but now I prefer the aisle seats. I would like to see a picture of what you make with the materials you purchased.

I am glad you have no regrets about moving to Florida, Jan. It must be so much easier on your body.

I am glad you are getting out and about, Cindy, you sound better than you have for a while. I hope this is true.

How are the fantasy games, Marie?

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

craftingram
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Karin
Nashville In
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2018 :  07:30:47 AM  Show Profile
After a beautiful weekend, we are getting a little much needed rain. Things are finally greening up here.
Cindy, that sounds like a really fun day. Hope the asthma attack wasn't too extreme.
We have native plant sales this weekend. Should be able to pick up some good deals.
Glad you are feeling better in Florida. I have an old (as in we've known each other since kindergarten)friend who moved to Englewood last year after living in Illinois for over 40 years. She absolutely loves it there.
V, hope you and Fang are recovered. We leave next week for Iceland and England. I'm not too worried about the time change, but all the time on planes is not my favorite thing.
Hope everyone has a great day.

Karin
Sister #2708

Romans 8: 38,39
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2018 :  07:43:09 AM  Show Profile
Was just listening to some old songs---"Seattle", "Quentin's Theme", "The Windmills of Your Mind"....anyone remember these old classics? These are some of the songs that inspire the songs I've written in the past few months. Well, my lyrics are a bit different, more modern and edgy, but musically, the melodies are similar. I haven't written any songs since Jaxon died. Was listening to Native American music last night--I have a drum, and something about a drum puts you in touch with the heartbeat of the Earth. I found out there is a Native America circle that meets on Saturday in my area. Still need to get a bigger keyboard to play my songs. Guess I'll start feeling for inspiration, can't grieve forever. Something in my soul begs me to write music.
Cindy

Medicated AND Motivated!

Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2204 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2204 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2018 :  04:03:35 AM  Show Profile
Laundry is done, cleaned the carpet and the kitty litter box. Otherwise, Fang's brother did a decent job dog sitting. Today Fang's older sister and mom are arriving from Florida. We have CASA training today & need groceries. Today is rainy, which makes Fang grumpy.
My daughter in Japan took me to several thrift stores, and I bought 3 kimono for 100 yen each. I brought one back with me and am trying to get mothball smell out of it. I guess I'll need to wait and hang it in the fresh air.
Fang says he will never travel again, but I am interested in an Irish barge cruise.

Farmgirl Sister #6754

Cookie Monster
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2018 :  05:15:18 AM  Show Profile
Wash the piece again with other clothes adding about 1 cup of white vinegar to the load. It worked for me when I was trying to get mildew out of some of my fabric.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2018 :  5:44:56 PM  Show Profile
Not much going on around this part of the country. I hung clothes out on the line. It was breezy today, so was a good day to do laundry. I have to hang out since I do not have a dryer. I feel do not need one here in Florida. I love hanging clothes out. Been sorting out stuff in my craft room. Seems like there is no end to it, but I am getting there. One more day and I should have it done.
Karin, A vacation to Iceland and England. How lucky you are. Have you been there before?
Cindy, writing music will keep your mind busy. Do you have a guitar also?
Vanessa, Hope you are enjoying your company and now having some sunshine.
Marie, I use vinegar in my rinse water every time I do laundry. It helps make the clothes softer when hung on the line, plus odors and cleans better.
Have a great evening,

Jan
Farmgirl Sister #3340

Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2204 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2204 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2018 :  2:27:49 PM  Show Profile

We finally got a sunny day so I hung out laundry. I washed the kimono with vinegar and hung it in the basement and also outside & now it doesn't smell.

Farmgirl Sister #6754

Cookie Monster
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2018 :  2:43:45 PM  Show Profile
That is really beautiful. I will look at it when I come to visit in July. I will bring my kimono book and make an undergarment and obi so it can be worn properly.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2204 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2204 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2018 :  2:57:07 PM  Show Profile
We'll see if it is my size!

Farmgirl Sister #6754

Cookie Monster
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2018 :  6:28:16 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

Well, if the kimono will go around you it is your size. When I wore mine the Japanese woman who helped me dress put folds under the obi so it would not drag. I guess if you are short you just pull up more of the cloth and make more folds. When I was tied into mine I could hardly breathe. It is a very pretty color.

A woman in my Tai Chi class is going to England for two months to do walking tours around the county of Yorkshire. I bet you will have a very nice time in Iceland and England. Sit in the hot pools in Iceland and give us a commentary on that. I would like to try it but I think your description will be the closest I will get. lol

I have three blankets hanging on my line. I put them out at the beginning of the week when it was warm and forgot to bring them in and then it rained so why bother bringing them in if they are not dry yet. They will smell nice when I finally get to it.

When you finish your craft room you could come and work on mine. Dynomite might be a good solution for mine. I am glad you can see the light.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2018 :  1:31:55 PM  Show Profile
It finally smells like spring today. Went to my art journaling class --always feel like my art is inferior to the other people there. Have been told my art is good but I can't see it. At least I have fun trying to create.
I don't know anything about kimonos but it is very pretty. I got a new TV and a dish so now I can actually watch TV. I need something to liven up the house, it feels empty without Jaxon. Discovered there is a channel devoted to horse racing, so that is my new vice. I don't bet. I have never been much of a TV viewer, at least not in the last ten years or so. It is interesting, and frightening, how much television has changed since I was a kid. Do I really need 190 channels? No, but that was the best deal. Oh well.
Sitting in a hot spring in Iceland sounds tantalizing. I hear they have hot springs in Arkansas, which isn't all that far from where I live, so maybe someday I'll get to enjoy one in the Ozarks.
My craft room is becoming difficult to navigate. It is also my music room, storeroom, and yoga room, but I no longer have room for my yoga mat on the floor. Strangely, I don't miss yoga. Used to do it every night but now it just doesn't appeal to me like it used to.
I am having trouble seeing the words I type. Guess my eyes are tired.
Cindy

Medicated AND Motivated!

Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2204 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2204 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2018 :  3:55:16 PM  Show Profile
Good news is the kimono wraps around me, bad news is that it smelled after I ironed it. So out it went to air out today.
These will be a pillow for my daughter with a French bulldog.
This will be a baby blanket for my niece who is due in July.
This panel will get a backing and become a hanging for an awkward window.

Farmgirl Sister #6754

Cookie Monster
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2018 :  07:37:29 AM  Show Profile
They're all pretty neat but I especially like the bottom panel. It will look stunning in a window.
Cindy

Medicated AND Motivated!

Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2018 :  11:58:12 AM  Show Profile
The first picture is a lemon from my small patio lemon tree. The small one is from the store. The second one is still on the tree almost ready to pick. I had 2 more this size on last summer also. There are 3 more growing, don't know if they will get that big.

Jan
Farmgirl Sister #3340

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 408 Gathered Up: Previous Topic Over 50 Farmgirls Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page