Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2017 :  4:12:47 PM  Show Profile
Marie, pain in the neck. Tell him you have big shoulders to take any blame and guilt he can throw your way. Hugs to you. I hope there is an upside to your trip.

Very cold here again today. Below 0 most of the day. Even at mid day with the sun shining.

One more day of the children's vacation from school. They all have cabin fever from being inside all the time. I am glad we live in a sizeable house.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2196 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2196 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2017 :  5:49:24 PM  Show Profile
Take care, Cindy. Did the ER doctor know about the antibiotics?
Fang and I are staying up for New Years. Our latest visitors left this morning. We expect temperatures around 0 tonight.

Farmgirl Sister #6754
Doxie Mom - Everyone loves a Weiner!

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2017 :  6:12:29 PM  Show Profile
Yeah, it's okay. We have it sorted out. I've been playing cards with some of the other residents. It's great because they haven't heard my jokes.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2018 :  1:33:32 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

A very lovely, very cold day here in the Green Mountains. Temperatures may have risen above 0F but not by much if it did. The sky was a lovely winter blue with scattered clouds. We had to go over to the hay barn and bring a load of hay back to feed the animals this week. It is about a football field and a half away from where the animals sleep at night. I got the truck stuck in the snow. We put it in 4Lo and pushed it out. 4Lo did not work until I was driving up the road and it engaged. Oh, well. We brought over 25 bales. Feeding three bales a day now while it is cold and there is no browse. The weather guessers predict next weekend will be just as cold as this one. The snow is slippery because the ice crystals are sliding on each other instead of compacting. My helpers were exhausted by the time we finished loading up the truck.

We did not stay up for the New Year. We ate sauteed shrimp and went to our nice warm bed. I am so glad to have a wood stove to stand near in the day time.

Our friend in the next town wrote a Young Adult sci fantasy book called The Black Witch. Her name is Laurie Forest. I think she did a good job for her first book. I remember when their daughter who is soon to be 22 yo was in the seventh grade and her husband told me Laurie was writing a book and he thought it was pretty good. That is how long she worked on it.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2018 :  6:05:56 PM  Show Profile
Everyone here is complaining that 60 degrees is too cold. I am going to Silver Springs tomorrow. I want to ride in the glass bottomed boat, look at the animal zoo and maybe get a pearl. The water is so clear from the natural springs, one can see all the way to the bottom of this huge underwater cavern. The show Sea Hunt used to be filmed there.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2018 :  08:30:51 AM  Show Profile
We are headed for two weeks of temps. below freezing. It got to about ten degrees yesterday. I went to a New Year's breakfast at a friend's house but the hike was cancelled due to the cold. How dare people complain about sixty being cold! Send them here and they can feel what cold really feels like! He he. It is funny that people in some parts of the country have such different notions of weather. Marie, I am using a public computer cause my I pad is goofy. I am going to get a data plan and it had better help. If not, it means the hackers got to my I pad. I don't know why anyone would want to hack my e-mails. It's not like I live a very exciting life. I guess some people live a very boring life. Like, I am going to scrub my bathtub today. How is that for excitement? I think I am still loopy from that cipro but it seems a little better now. Or maybe I am adjusting to being loopy. It's not like I was ever that in touch with reality to start with. There's a reason why I take medication....sorry, I just don't like having to go to the library. it was closed for two days--Dec. 31 and Jan. 1. So Marie, I feel your pain. And if Roger thinks you are responsible, well, computers are goofy.
Cindy

Medicated AND Motivated!

I'll be Thelma. You be Louise.

Caught somewhere between girl on fire and girl on the verge of a nervous breakdown.

Choosy moms choose Prozac.
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2018 :  04:44:32 AM  Show Profile
Good early morning everyone,

I am writing now because it is morning routine and the children are doing what they are supposed but not in the order that I think they should do it. So, I took myself out of the mix.

Yesterday was much warmer, like 30 degrees warmer than the day before which put it at 7 above 0. The house was so much easier to heat. We received a couple of inches of snow. I finally got the tractor to start and I jumped the Tahoe so we are in good shape.

DsG had a basket ball game last night. He is a good rebounder. At the end of the first half the score was 2 to 10 not in DsG's favor. At the end of the game the score was 15 to 14 in DsG's team's favor. He was happy. The teams were a good match.

Day before yesterday a lone deer came into the yard and snacked on the buds of the apple tree at the edge of the woods. Yesterday, a bachelor flock of 5 turkeys came up to the garage to eat the sunflower seeds that fell out of the feeders on the porch above them. The must have seen the chickens eating. I took some pictures and went down the stairs to get a better view and they took off. Geez, those bird took off from standing and flew a half of a football field to roost in the tops of the trees. It was an awesome sight to see those huge birds fly.

Have a good day.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

craftingram
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Karin
Nashville In
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2018 :  06:43:28 AM  Show Profile
Belated Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all. Things have been kind of crazy here. While I was puppysitting at my DD's house I ended up in the ED with my gallbladder telling me it hated me. I saw a surgeon shortly after I got home and surgery was set up. We went to Virginia for Christmas with my DS and his precious family. The weather was nice and we had a wonderful time. After we got back we had Christmas with our DD and her husband. I had my surgery on Jan 2. The worst part of the first two days was the nausea, but that seems to finally be subsiding. And not having coffee is kind of miserable.
Thank you for the lovely card Holly. Your pictures are always beautiful. This was the first time in many, many years that I didn't send out cards. This year I hope to start things sooner.
Marilyn, so good to hear that all is going well.
Hope everyone had wonderful holidays and that the coming year is full of blessings.

Karin
Sister #2708

Romans 8: 38,39
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2018 :  09:15:07 AM  Show Profile
Still cold here--high today about ten. I think it is supposed to warm up this weekend. Yesterday it reached 23 and that felt warm. It is amazing watching turkeys fly. The first time I saw one fly, it was flying low over a road. I'm glad it wasn't lower or it could have flown into a car. And when a thirty pound turkey hits a car window---it's like hitting a deer. I have been seeing lots of raptors lately. Always seem to see more when it is cold and snowy. Karin, I am sorry about your gallbladder. I had mine removed back in 2001? Hard to remember exactly when. It was no fun. Holly, sounds like DsG has found something that creates positive feelings within him. I remember, as a teen, it was difficult for me to find anything that created positive feelings--except writing. And playing the saxophone. Though even that started to go downhill during my junior year because I was suffering from depression. All due to a guy named Tim. It was like he enjoyed tearing down my self-esteem. I think he had a sadistic streak. I sat by him in band during my sophomore year and he was nice to me then. But he changed.
Anyway, I wish it would warm up. I'm tired of this cold. I'm not coughing as much, which is good, but the cold still has an adverse effect on my breathing. I saw my asthma dr. yesterday and he gave me a new sample inhaler. I need to get a new Flovent inhaler and it costs $41.00. Inhalers are not cheap. I think someone is making lots of money off that industry.
Cindy

Medicated AND Motivated!

Caught somewhere between girl on fire and girl on the verge of a nervous breakdown.

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2018 :  5:07:58 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

Temperatures were above 0 today and that makes all the difference in heating our house. Snow started blowing by in the morning and continues. The wind picked up at dusk and continues to make the chimes play a long, loud tune.

Sorry about your gall bladder and I am glad you are ok. Did you get the stones in a jar to bring home. They are like little balls with spikes sticking out all over. Glad you are back online.

Maybe you could remember how much you enjoyed playing your instrument and get back into , cindy. there are a couple of adult orchestras around here that people have a really fun time at. Maybe for you too.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2018 :  08:21:40 AM  Show Profile
I hope everyone has fared well in this latest round of cold. We had no more than 2 or 3 inches of snow, but the bitter cold has made things the most uncomfortable -- nothing wants to melt. We will be leaving tomorrow morning for a week or so down in South Carolina. Going to visit the youngest daughter and see my grandson graduate from Marine Corps basic training. No Caribbean vacation this year, because the cottage we usually rent on St. John was pretty heavily damaged in the hurricanes. Just sitting here at my desk with a heater blowing on my feet. The water pipe that feeds the bathroom has frozen, so there's no water. I would love to go home now, please.

Farmgirl #6318
"Where there's a will -- there's probably a family fight."
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2018 :  08:35:37 AM  Show Profile
We just got back from Florida. Lowell's father lives in a really nice place. He has his own apartment. It has a sink, microwave and a refrigerator and no stove. He's pretty upset about that. He's upset about other things but they take care of him really well. After coming back, I am determined to take care of myself better. I played cards with the group Lowell's dad has gathered and they thought it was fantastic that I could bend over to pick up cards from the floor. I've got to get real about this. The dining room was set up like a really nice restaurant and the food is really good. It was okay there but it is good to get back home.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2018 :  12:55:45 PM  Show Profile
Marie--my mom has a difficult time bending over to pick things up. She is 83. That's one of the reasons why I am getting back into yoga. Plus I saw a picture of myself at New Year's and thought:gee, I need to lose some weight. I was wearing a flannel shirt and sweater in the picture, so that made me look bigger than usual. But still...
I found a keyboard today for only $20.00. It is small, a Yamaha, but it will do for what I need it for--I have been writing songs and have come up with some melodies, and I need a keyboard to play them on. It has different rhythms and instruments, plus it records. Simple, but it will do. I love music. I hardly ever watch TV, but I listen to the radio a lot. And my CD's.
It is a bit warmer here today. they actually had school today. It has been cancelled all week due to the cold. I found a calendar at the dollar store with horses for each month. I saw a gargoyle at the resale shop that I want to get. Plus a little horse statue. Vanessa sent me some samples of facial masks yesterday that I can't wait to try. They are from South Korea.
I starved at the end of last year because I was sick, then I ate too much at the beginning of this year. Now I am back to eating normally. Strange how you overeat after not eating very much for a week. But it's rather disconcerting. You feel good that you lost some pounds, then they reappear overnight. I am tired of losing weight, cause it always finds me again. I want to make it disappear. For good.
Cindy

Medicated AND Motivated!

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2018 :  4:40:40 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

Marilyn so very nice to hear from you. I repeated to C just this morning that I am so glad I am not living in a log cabin with a deerskin door. We have read books from early Vermont with the boys and that was one winter living arrangement we knew we could do without. I guess with that perspective frozen bathroom pipes and a heater on the feet is something that can be lived with. Hahaha. The men in your shop just probably write their names in the snow when they have to go. Glad you will get a respite from the cold for a little while.

I had not realized that Lowell's dad landed in Florida for a living arrangement. I am glad you had a good time. I am more worried about losing my mind than my body at this point in my life.

Glad you found a keyboard to play on. I have seen short movies online of dogs singing with their people. Maybe you could get Jaxon to sing with you. I am glad you are sounding better.

It is well below 0 plus a brisk breeze all day today. I did chores and went to the truck to drive and that was all the time I was planning on being outside. Then on the drive to town a lovely little Prius came sliding down a road with a hill where that road and the one I was on met and slammed into the side bed of our truck. We did two 360's and came to rest crosswise on the road. It would not move. A man in a truck came up alongside me and said, put it is four wheel drive. I did and drove off the road. The little Prius has a very mangled front end. The man said he tried to break from the top of the hill and he has never driven when the brakes would not work. Too much ice. The truck dropped it's drive shaft, that is why it would not move. I knew the man in the car. I gave him a hug, we exchanged insurance information. C came to get me and his wife came to get him. I believe no one was hurt although the driver of the other car said his shoulder hurt some.

The children did not have school today. They were happy.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2196 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2196 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2018 :  5:46:53 PM  Show Profile
Wow Holly, I am so glad nobody was seriously hurt. Accidents happen so quickly!
Marie, if Lowell's dad is forgetful, he might forget to turn off a stovetop. Fang has forgotten to turn off the bathroom sink and I can't always hear it because he has the tv on loudly. We have had a construction guy in the basement putting up drywall, extra outlets, and covering the ceiling. The dogs kept barking all day. Tomorrow we will move the pellet stove's pipe to vertical and pooch it out from the wall. Then I will cuddle with a warm dog.

Farmgirl Sister #6754

Today me will live in the moment unless it's unpleasant, in which case me will eat a cookie.
Cookie Monster
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2018 :  08:37:22 AM  Show Profile
Good morning everyone,

A room should have many outlets. I think now that when I had the outlets put in our house that I had thought to put one under each window so I could plug in winter holiday candles with out having to run wires. I have also been wondering, since my children can turn on lights but not turn them off how I could put them each on a timer, might be annoying but it sure would save on electricity. At C's office at work the lights are motion detected so if she sits in her office and does not move they go off. So, every now and then she waves her arm at the lights. She does a lot of computer work so she is sometimes very stationery. Enjoy your new room.

We had a surprise this morning. I woke up about 5:30 because the house seemed colder than usual. But with the wind blowing as fiercely as it was and the outside temperature being well below 0 F I tried to rationalize that would be the reason. But, I arose from my bed to check to make sure the doors were shut and the cat door was blocked. The heating pipe by the cat door was cold. What?! I asked myself we are on automatic delivery, how could this be? I put on my coat and boots and trotted myself downstairs into the barn room with the oil tank and sure enough it was on empty. So, I trotted myself back upstairs and woke C so she could call the oil company. She got two people out of bed. Around 11 AM the oil man filled the tank saying we should not have run out because he could only put in 217 gallons instead of 250. But, when he went to restart the furnace the monitor was indeed flashing saying there was not fuel. The zone in the back of hte house is working we are trying to get the front zone working. I am so glad to have a wood stove in the front of hte house and a gas heat stove in the back. The water is working in the kitchen and one bathroom. We are good to go. Now if the outside temperature would rise above 0F we would be all set. We can cook, and use the toilet and stay warm.

I think all of the we need hear now people who buy when they need it were louder than us automatic delivery people. A woman came for some wool yards that I had to make braided rugs and she is on automatic delivery and she called twice this week as the amount in her tank approached 0 gallons. So we were not alone.

Have a good day.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

HodgeLodge
True Blue Farmgirl

662 Posts

Tiana
Berkeley Springs WV
USA
662 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2018 :  11:35:42 AM  Show Profile
Wow Holly that sounds like a heck of a morning. I need to go and check my moms oil since she is on auto. Thanks for sharing.

Farmgirl #4817-The greatest gift of the garden is the restoration of the five senses. ~Hanna Rion

Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2018 :  1:42:17 PM  Show Profile
Today was the kickoff for eagle days here. They had a live eagle at the visitor's center and two eagle ice sculptures. We might get freezing rain tomorrow., but it was a bit warmer today, felt like it got to at least twenty.
Holly--sounds like the weather in Vermont is causing all kinds of issues. It's good that you guys know how to deal with all that cold. People here are not used to it being this cold for this long.
Cindy

Medicated AND Motivated!

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2018 :  4:22:23 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

Today was a few degrees above 0F and the sun was shining. The house warmed up so it was comfortable but the pipes have not thawed yet. I hope when they do they do not flood the floor. We have some Pex pipe that is not supposed to break when it freezes. Keeping out fingers crossed.

Tomorrow is supposed to be around freezing so it will be a lot warmer outside.

The deer came by today in the afternoon. I guess he is making a route of his favorite places to eat.
The turkeys came also and were eating the dropped sunflower seeds that the chickens had not picked up.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2018 :  7:04:38 PM  Show Profile
We live in an older brick, brownstone building. Last night we were watching The Tall Ships staring Richard Widmark when I heard water running somewhere close. Water was pouring from the ceiling from the light fixture. It was a lot of water. The lady upstairs was taking a shower so I ran up there to tell her what was going on and she turned it off. We got buckets and laid down towels. The people in the apartment below us came up to say their bathroom ceiling was dripping too. We all called maintenance. The guy came and checked it out and found that I pipe was leaking. He set it up so that the water drained into the tub instead up on the floor. They will come back to fix it. What a mess.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

HodgeLodge
True Blue Farmgirl

662 Posts

Tiana
Berkeley Springs WV
USA
662 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2018 :  08:01:06 AM  Show Profile
wow Marie, sorry to hear of your water problem. When it rains it pours. I'm glad they are coming to fix it. So many having problems in these extreme temperatures lately.

Farmgirl #4817-The greatest gift of the garden is the restoration of the five senses. ~Hanna Rion

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2018 :  4:46:38 PM  Show Profile
Sounds like a nasty inconvenience for three families Marie. I hope they fix it quickly.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2018 :  6:19:53 PM  Show Profile
It's going to be a big job. Glad I'm not paying for it.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2196 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2196 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2018 :  8:54:12 PM  Show Profile
If it is an older building the pipes may be older too. Hopefully they will check them all, or there will be more leaks.
The handyman is almost done with our basement. The drywall is up on walls and ceilings and outlets are installed. We will paint, tile and add trim. My mother in law is eager to move here. She bumped her car into her carport support, so she doesn't want to drive as much.

Farmgirl Sister #6754

Today me will live in the moment unless it's unpleasant, in which case me will eat a cookie.
Cookie Monster
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2018 :  05:12:52 AM  Show Profile
Dee actually wants to live there!? NOOOOOOOOOO!!! No! NO! NOOOOOOOOOO!

Yeah, there are many infrastructure problems in this building.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 408 Gathered Up: Previous Topic Over 50 Farmgirls Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page