churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2017 :  9:11:06 PM  Show Profile
A house or duplex would be ideal but Lowell and I do not want the responsibility of a house nor can we afford the property taxes or upkeep. Lowell's brother tried to talk their father into buying a duplex but he wouldn't do it. We are comfortable here.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2017 :  12:00:47 AM  Show Profile
I only like sardines that are packed in oil, so maybe it's the oil I'm craving.....haven't had any cravings for red meat. I have read how the oil (and the sardines) help adrenal function plus they help protect the brain cells and help ward off depression. Marie, if you ever drive to visit your sister in Kentucky you will probably go through the St. Louis area. Please stop and visit if you ever do. I was having a dream this evening that seemed to be trying to tell me why I have been feeling so tired and depressed but it was not very clear.....something about how this man who lived in the 1890's had invented a technique to seal milk bottles in such a way that it kept the milk colder and fresher longer....and then he was implicated in an affair, which was very questionable if he actually had an affair....but of course, everyone believed that he did. Come to think of it, it has been ten years since some people accused me of having an affair (I didn't) even though the man involved really did have a number of affairs--since i was a friend, they just assumed i was one of his girlfriends.....maybe that is what has been bothering me. In a small town, people can have long memories. A lot of lies were told about me. One person in particular made a concentrated effort to smear my reputation. She was trying to "protect" the reputation of the man involved. Good luck in protecting him from himself, lady.He was in a "position of trust" and he abused my trust in a very bad way. And then he admitted that all that really mattered what protecting his reputation.
A college student from Estonia stopped by my house today. he was selling educational books for children.Of course, i don't have any kids and i really don't know any kids in this neighborhood...I asked him what he thought of America, and he replied that everything here was so big--he pointed to the house across the street--a four room house , one and a half stories---and he said that in his country, a pharmacy would be half the size of that house, and in this country, the pharmacies are the size of grocery stores. i bet the prescriptions in his country cost a lot less as well.
Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2017 :  04:51:35 AM  Show Profile
My dad advised me, "God made the country, man made the cities, but the devil made small towns."

Farmgirl Sister #6754
Doxie Mom - Everyone loves a Weiner!

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2017 :  06:19:21 AM  Show Profile

One room cleared, cleaned and closed up.

Farmgirl Sister #6754

Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2017 :  06:43:30 AM  Show Profile
Happy Fourth of July to everyone.

Farmgirl #6318
"Where there's a will -- there's probably a family fight."
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2017 :  5:19:08 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

The rain paused for the day. We have had a lot of rain this summer. The fields are very soggy. We finished cleaning the old hay out of the hay barn this morning.

In the afternoon the children went swimming. it was nice because there were not many bugs to eat us alive. The water was very cold but the children did not seem to mind.

I planted some broccoli starts that I have had sitting around for a while.

Good luck to you Vanessa. If I had to move I think it would take a year of digging out.

Hope you get on your boat, Marilyn.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2017 :  1:27:00 PM  Show Profile
I started early, as soon as we listed the house. We made sure the kids took all their stuff and have given away lots too. The hardest items are a bunch of old Bibles. It seems that my husband was presented a bible at every church he attended. Some of them are in poor condition but most are good.

Farmgirl Sister #6754

Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2017 :  8:15:01 PM  Show Profile
Boom! It sounds like a war zone around here, with all the fireworks going off. And they are illegal--oh well, this is the land of the freedom from thinking about your neighbors, so I guess it's all good. Jaxon doesn't seem to mind, but I am keeping him in the house just in case. I worry that a bottle rocket will land in his pen and hit him. I have a friend, a disabled combat veteran, and the sound and smell of fireworks is very difficult for her--reminds her of Afghanistan. I hope she is OK. She has learned different methods for getting through fireworks. I just hope nobody is shooting off their guns--with all this noise, it's hard to tell.
Marilyn, hope you enjoy your boat. Being out on the water sounds nice. Holly, we have not had rain here lately. It is somewhat dry--I hope those fireworks don't start any fires. I wonder if the people shooting them off even think about things like that. This will probably go on till at least midnight. I don't remember it being this bad ever before.
I saw my dr. (the endocrinologist) yesterday and since I have been taking a steroid for the past three weeks and am still having issues with feeling tired, he says the tiredness is not caused by endocrine issues, or the steroids would have kicked in by now. I have regained my strength, so at least they have helped with that issue. I don't know why i feel so tired a lot of the time--but I did find out that i have been experiencing "microsleeps" from time to time--that's when you fall asleep for say, a fraction of a second, or maybe 4-5 seconds, and you don't realize it. It could be related to the medication i take for depression, but I don't know for sure. It can also be related to a type of narcolepsy--my friend, the combat veteran, has a type of narcolepsy. She can tell about twenty minutes ahead of time that she is going to have an episode--so if she is driving, she finds a place to pull over. When she falls asleep, she is out like a light. She can sleep for up to ten hours. I think I will make an appointment to see her doctor, even if I have to pay for it myself. Her dr. is a pulmonologist, so maybe my tiredness is related to my asthma. I sometimes feel like my brain just isn't getting enough oxygen, and I know that can make you tired.
The lawn service was supposed to trim the overgrowth on the fence on the west side of my house this week. They said they could do it during the day when I was at work.I have come home every evening and glanced at the fence and saw they hadn't done it. I came home Friday, nope, they hadn't done it. I was tired, like I always am when i get off work, so I took a nap. I was dreaming that I was standing in the back yard, and I was looking at the trellis where my blackberries are, and on one side of the trellis, the side they always mow on, the vines were almost completely gone. I woke with a start, then put on my shoes and ran outside. Yep--I don't know when it happened, and I'm not even sure how---but most of the vines on the side of the trellis closest to the house are gone. And they were so overgrown at the beginning of this year, it wasn't even funny. They are still very overgrown on the side where they never trim, because the fence is so close that they can't get a lawn mower back there. They are just now becoming ripe, and I was looking forward to lots of blackberries. There are still lots on the other side, but they are difficult for me to get to. I knew they needed pruning but i have been too sick for the past six months to do it. That's why I hired a lawn service (to mow the yard). I have left three voice messages and they still haven't replied. Like I said, I am not even sure when it happened---I don't go out in the yard that much cause I sleep when i get home, and it is dark by the time I wake up.Plus, i have been experiencing so much brain fogginess that sometimes i see things, and it doesn't register till like a week later. So I am bummed about my blackberries, and about the lawn service.
On the plus side, my mom asked if the mall was open today (it was) cause she was thinking about walking out there. Her knee doesn't hurt anymore, so she just needs to keep exercising it. My uncle was in the hospital last week, the hospital where i work, and he got better. Now he is in a nursing home for the time being.And I found a picture of the horse that my friend Anna has talked about--- a saddlebred named the Lemon Drop Kid that was featured on the cover of Sports Illustrated back in the early 40's, i believe. She grew up on a saddlebred farm and her family owned the horse for a while. He was one of the most famous saddlebreds of all time. This was when Missouri was the saddlebred horse capital of the world. I also posted a memorial for Ruffian on my FB page--in 1975, she broke her leg in a match race and had to be put down. it absolutely broke my heart, as she was like a horse from a dream--the most beautiful racehorse who ever live. She was undefeated in every race she completed, and she was pulling in away from and leading the Kentucky Derby winning colt when she broke her leg. It was July 6, 1975. Looking back on it now, it seemed like everything in my world changed shortly after that. It was almost like she was too beautiful for this world.
Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2017 :  8:35:22 PM  Show Profile
I just checked with my friends across the river and they say St. Louis city and county sounds like a battle zone with all the fireworks that are going off. It's crazy. This will probably be in the news tomorrow. We've never had so many crazies setting off illegal fireworks.
Cindy

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2017 :  1:06:39 PM  Show Profile
Good afternoon everyone,

Geez, Cindy I thought when I began the first few words of your post that you were going to type about how upset everyone in St Louis was upset about the lowering of the minimum wage.

On Saturday morning C and I went out to water the meat chickens. I have them in a pen with polypropylene netting stretched across the top and sewn to the top of the fencing that goes around it. As I approached I saw and OWL on top of the netting. It jumped up and down but did not fly away. Her talons on one foot were stuck in the netting. I went into the house to get my camera and to call someone who might know how to help me get her out of the netting. I called four people including two calls to the nature center. It was 7:10 AM . So, finally we decided to swallow our fears and cut the owl out. DsC suggested we put on wood stove gloves, which are made of thick leather with a lining. I put it on my right had and took the scissors in my left.

We climbed into the pen and stood under the owl and I started to clip the netting. As the hole got bigger I was worried that the owl would fall through the hole so I put my gloved hand up across the hole. The owl stepped onto my hand/arm with its unstuck foot. I finally finished cutting out her foot and she stepped onto my hand with her snarled up foot. C continued to try to cut the netting. I hope the owl would not dive into my face or reach down and bite me. She was looking at me and I was looking at her. I was wondering how long she would stand there. I think she must have been very tired from spending most of the night stuck on the netting. Eventually she flew to a nearby fence post. She sat there a bit and then flew across the field into the woods. The crows set up a racket while she flew across. My brother said the crows will dive bomb an owl in the day. So, that is the story of my first and only encounter with a Great horned owl.

I am sorry I am unable to upload pictures at this time.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2017 :  7:18:11 PM  Show Profile
Holly--people in St. Louis are upset about the minimum wage thing, but they get more upset when, say, someone says something bad about the Cardinals. or when they can't get to "Dirt Cheap" for their cigarettes. So you have now had a close encounter with an owl....they are really incredible close up. They can be intimidating, but when they are in shock or stressed, they tend to sit very still. I once rescued a barred owl that had been hit. But they are the least aggressive of all owls. Great horned owls---I don't know how I would feel about getting too close to one. They are big. I am glad you didn't get hurt and that the owl is OK. I just read something about train services being cut to 220 cities--is this for real? My town has invested a lot in a new train station and they have been working to make it a high speed rail....the state (the broke state of Illinois) still cares enough about infrastructure that they are putting a lot of money into this---if this gets derailed (pun intended) people are going to be furious. At least our governor vetoed the bill to permanently raise our property taxes by 4 %. Our speaker of the house in Illinois is crazy and on a power trip. He's been there for like, forty years. Longer than any speaker of the house in any state in U.S. history. I know politics is a taboo subject, but everyone in this state is so sick of all that's (not) happening in Springfield. Sometimes I wish I could move. I have considered looking for job opportunities in the hospital system i work for in neighboring states, like Indiana, but the hospitals are all way north of here. And I can't leave my parents so i guess I am stuck here. This is not a fun time to live in Illinois. We have achieved what no other state has--a junk rating. I don't know what the answer is. For some reason the song "Happy Jack" keeps running through my head. "And they couldn't prevent Jack from being happy." And they couldn't prevent Cindy from being yappy.Have a great night, I feel better now.
Cindy

Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2017 :  10:24:08 PM  Show Profile
Drained. I found out today that a guy I know, who suffered from depression and was a boarder in the home of another friend of mine (she also has bi polar)--he killed himself in her home. She found his body. She had to hire a cleaning service because there was blood (etc.) everywhere. Now she has a large bill to pay for the cleaning service. We all knew this guy and we all tried to help him---we bent over backwards for him. He needed to get out of his mother's house so she offered him room and board because he was on disability and couldn't afford an apartment. Help was literally just down the hall---and he still chose death. I suffer from depression and I have been suicidal, but I could not do this to a friend who tried everything to help me. He was thirty years old. He leaves behind a five year old niece who adored him. They were going to see "Cars 3" on the day he killed himself. I feel emotionally depleted, but i feel mad as well. Mad that he didn't walk down the hall and knock on her door---he planned this in advance. We think he decided on it a long time ago. He had pills from all kinds of medicines that he had "saved" that were hidden in his closet. A few weeks ago, I cleaned out a drawer in my kitchen and there were about a dozen bottles of old pills---I removed the labels and took them to the police station and put them in the container that sits just inside the entrance that is there for that very purpose. Not only were the pills for things that I couldn't even recall, but I just didn't want that temptation laying around the house in case I did become very depressed. That is a very dark place to be, and one I try hard to avoid. I have stopped taking the prednisone because it was taking me to a dark place. It didn't cause crying spells like the hydrocortisone, but still, I could tell it was leading me to a dark place. Steroids can cause severe depression, and they can aggravate depression in people who suffer from it. When I saw my doctor on Monday, he said he had heard stories of people who jumped out of hospital windows while taking steroids. And he wanted me to continue taking the prednisone for another three months....I haven't had any since Monday. Sometimes I don't listen to my doctors' advice, and it is because of situations like this. I think I definitely need a new primary care doctor. These doctors just don't seem to realize how taking different prescriptions from different doctors....how they can interact with each other. it's scary. Sorry if this is a downer. If you know anyone who suffers form depression, please make sure they aren't hiding old pills. Snoop if you have to. It's better to have them be angry with you than to find them dead in their room, and they've hit their head on the floor when they fell, and blood is everywhere. Death is not pretty, and the body release toxins soon after death. Now I know why EMT's get angry when they treat suicide cases. They try so hard to keep people alive, and yet some people seem determined to die. Choose life, always. Always choose life.
Cindy

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2017 :  11:19:09 PM  Show Profile
Cindy, I know that dark place.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2017 :  1:01:10 PM  Show Profile
Good afternoon everyone,

That is a dark place and I do not always understand how people can be so selfish even when feeling total despair. The people who are left behind are left behind and live with their own what ifs........
I am sorry your friend had to find the person she tried to help. Thank you for the advice on helping people we know.

We had a hay kicker wagon in our yard from a hay delivery earlier in the week. the children had taken a huge tarp and tied it onto the top of the wagon to make a play house. We thought they would not come today because the clouds are settling in and the forecast is rain. As the thunder was rolling along the truck to take the kicker wagon arrived. The boys ran out and had to cut the tarp off the wagon. It was funny to watch. One of them actually thought to drag the tarp into one of the sheds so it would not get soaked.

find a moment of joy.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2017 :  3:33:07 PM  Show Profile
I can't wait to go to work to get some rest. On Friday we began loading stuff on a 17 ft. UHaul. Saturday we finished up & unloaded everything at my sister-in-law's spare building. I began cleaning the house and today cleaned all kitchen cabinets. We are camping in our house & the dogs wonder what is happening.
Still, everything is going according to God's plan. I can't wait to see what He will surprise me with next.

Farmgirl Sister #6754

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2017 :  5:44:37 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

A beautiful sunset this evening. The clouds over the hills are pink in a deep blue sky. A lovely site to end the day.

DsG went to sleep over camp yesterday and little dsR was in summer school today. So, it was dsC home today. He had therapy and we went to the library. So, he was quiet when we were at home because he was devouring his library books.

I thought it was going to rain but it did not and most of the laundry dried on the line.

What do you work at V? When are you all done in FL and on the move?

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

craftingram
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Karin
Nashville In
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2017 :  06:06:06 AM  Show Profile
Another rainy morning here.
My DS and his family were supposed to be coming from Va next week, but have postponed the visit until late Aug. His wife's hospital work schedule changed and she wasn't able to come now so they decided to wait. Guess it gives me more time to freshen up the guest house with some new paint.
He gave his two older kids old phones and set up i cloud accounts for them so they can text when they are on the wifi at home. Have been having fun conversations and good night wishes.
hope everyone is well and has a great day.

Karin
Sister #2708

Romans 8: 38,39
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2017 :  10:07:18 AM  Show Profile
I work in the Palm Beach School District, you know, the county that Mr. Trump likes to visit. Luckily, he hasn't been here in a while. Most people who live in this county are regular folks - even dirt poor. All the ultra rich people are on Palm Beach Island where the squirrels have to wipe their feet before walking on the lawns.
My DH & I will be on vacation late July to early August then I'll work 2 more weeks. We will travel up to Kentucky in September to rent & look for a permanent home with a little acreage.

Farmgirl Sister #6754

Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2017 :  6:39:53 PM  Show Profile

Everyone has a job to do before we move. I have to clean the fridge and DH has to watch America's Got Talent. Our closing date has moved to this Friday, so we get an extra day to clean and clear stuff.

Farmgirl Sister #6754

Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2017 :  7:38:07 PM  Show Profile
Vanessa--if Illinois weren't in such bad shape, I would encourage you to move here. Our squirrels don't have to wipe their feet--they have to avoid being shot and eaten.
Weird stuff happening. A website I frequent was hacked by an unknown entity in Albania, and now I am no longer receiving feed from that site on FB. This , after I had posted something very controversial about the Russian president. Somehow, I don't think the website I frequent is responsible for this. They encourage controversy. And they do not like the Russian president. So, if something "happens" to me, blame Putin. Ha ha.
All I know is, God knows what is going to happen, and he is ultimately in charge. And that is all that matters. The last time people attempted to silence me for speaking the truth, it backfired on them stupendously.
So the moral is: don't mess with God. He is bigger than all the bad people in this world combined.
We have not had any rain in a while so it is very dry. And hot. We might get some storms tomorrow. The new lawn service is supposed to mow my yard tomorrow so I hope it doesn't rain at that time. I put stakes in the ground and used yellow tape to mark off where not to mow near my blackberries.
And please don't worry that something might "happen' to me. I was just joking. I am not afraid of things that are happening in the world, nor of bad people. The only thing that scares me is that I might disappoint God by not doing something or saying something that I was supposed to.
Cindy

Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2017 :  05:59:01 AM  Show Profile
Cindy, I have a niece who lives near Chicago with her family, and works for Delta Airlines. Her parents are encouraging her to transfer to Kentucky so that they can move there too, and be near the grandkids! But she likes Illinois. My husband foresees a lot of companies leaving because of the taxing situation.

I don't know if you are familiar with VeggieTales: "God is bigger than the Boogie Man, He's bigger than Godzilla or the monsters on TV. Oh, God is bigger than the Boogie Man, and He's watching out for you and me."

Farmgirl Sister #6754

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2017 :  5:04:12 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

Our squirrels eat out of our squirrel proof bird feeder. No wiping of the feet just stoking of the fur coats.

My father's widow lives in Palm Beach Gardens. I do not know where that is but I am sure they have the squirrels wipe their feet and go to the dry cleaners before walking on the lawn.

It must be such a relief to have all of the packing done. I hope you received a fair price for your property.

Cindy have you told the lawn service about the ground bees? Some people around here are having ripe raspberries in their patches.

I cut one chainsaw tankful of wood this morning. Slowly and surely I will get all of the wood in. We do already have most of this year's wood in. One more cord and it will be enough. I do like to be a year ahead. I cut up a large maple that had started to fall over like a windfall. There is so much sap in the wood that one block is too heavy for me to lift alone. The biggest blocks have a diameter of 18 inches and maybe twenty inches long. My doctor would say if I complained, "Just getting old, Holly." So, if I am getting old and can not lift the blocks like I used to at least I am still on this side of the turf.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2017 :  05:27:11 AM  Show Profile
Holly -- Years ago my grands had been visiting, so I had been doing a lot of diaper changing on a mat on the floor. After they went home, I noticed that my hips were hurting when I would squat down for something -- I assumed it was from all the extra movement I had been doing. Well, I was at the doctor's office and I said "It hurts when I squat down like this," and I demonstrated for him. He looked me squarely in the eye and said, with no sense of irony at all -- "Then don't do that." I cracked up -- it was just like an old Dean Martin-Jerry Lewis set up. We had a good chuckle over it for years after that. He said all his years in medical school really paid off. I warned my new doctor about starting sentences with the words "At your age....." Having said that, I have been doing all the required screenings for women "of my age," and have most of them checked off my list. I just need to get some bloodwork done, but I think I will wait until a little closer to my checkup date, so the numbers will be current. So far everything checks out fine.

We are having three trees taken down in a couple of weeks. We negotiated a pretty good price with our Amish tree guy. He keeps the big logs to take to the sawmill (they are all hickory trees) and we will get to keep the branches for firewood. All the crane operator asked for was Bud Light. His Dudeness will stay home to watch them work and I will come into the office that day. I love to watch people doing work like that, but I don't think I want to see them swinging those big chunks of trees over top of my house!

Hope everyone is enjoying a happy summer.

Farmgirl #6318
"Where there's a will -- there's probably a family fight."
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2017 :  09:20:46 AM  Show Profile
Holly, we were offered more than we thought we'd get for the house. It is a seller's market here, and we have a corner lot. They also bought it as-is, so it saved us paying a repairman for popcorn ceiling removal.

Palm Beach Gardens is a bit north of me, in the same county. Nice area.

Farmgirl Sister #6754

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2017 :  5:46:55 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

Rainy and chilly all day long. I made rhubarb upside down cake. It is tart and sweet at the same time. The rhubarb is green so it gives an interesting contrast to the cake. The children all like it. Well, the ones who are home. DsG would not because he does not do vegetables for dessert.

WOW a crane coming to move the trees. That is an exciting and sad work all at once. I would like to see it but cutting big healthy trees always makes me a bit sad. On the mountain behind our land there are a lot of windfall trees. I think of asking someone with a helicopter to come and lift them out and down to the field for me. That would be prohibitively expensive. Then I think maybe the National Guard would like some practice but have not had the nerve to ask.

I am glad you received a good price for your house. Will the property values now go up in your area because of the buyers market and then the taxes? Ours have gone up again this year. We are in land use and received some sort of homestead rebate this year because C took a new job that paid less so we qualify. Our taxes with out the considerations are now over $10,000. We must stay employed is our new mantra.

One of our chickens hatched out two chicks day before yesterday. They are both yellow now. ONe has a black dot on its forehead. Their mother is a black and white strip and the father is a cross between a white rooster and a red hen. Mongrels...

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 408 Gathered Up: Previous Topic Over 50 Farmgirls Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page