Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2017 :  06:06:52 AM  Show Profile
I have wondered about Mar as well. I know that there were some health issues going on. Hopefully she has just been busy during the holidays.

I get to keep my Good Daughter Badge -- just ordered birthday flowers for my mother. She will be 85 tomorrow. She has been doing so much better than any of us expected after Daddy's death (including herself!). She is eating better and putting back on a little weight. For the last few months, when Daddy didn't feel like eating, she didn't want to go down to the dining room either, and she lost quite a bit. The last thing I said to her as I was leaving in October was that I wanted her to participate in the activities at the home. Play the silly games. Do the crafts. Attend the entertainments. Have her nails done when the manicurist comes. She has been doing so and is really loving her life. She has her sad times -- still crying times -- but mostly she says she laughs because she remembers good things or silly things that she and Daddy experienced together. Sixty-seven years is a long time with a lot of mostly happy memories. She received several adult coloring books with markers or pencils for Christmas and is really enjoying them! She used to be quite a gifted watercolorist, so I guess we all thought she would like them.

Farmgirl #6318
"Where there's a will -- there's probably a family fight."
Go to Top of Page

craftingram
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Karin
Nashville In
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2017 :  06:26:24 AM  Show Profile
It's 52 this morning and drizzling, Our weather has really been back and forth.
Holly, I am concerned also. I remember when we last heard from Mar her DH was facing some health issues. I really hope you hear something from her soon.
Spent yesterday taking down decorations. I'm sorting and trying to downsize my collection. But it's really difficult to get rid of things you've enjoyed for years. I keep telling myself it's time for someone else to enjoy them.
Going to try and get some spinning in today too.
Hope everyone has a lovely day.

Karin
Sister #2708

Romans 8: 38,39
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2017 :  06:30:30 AM  Show Profile
There was a light rain all day yesterday - just mist actually. Today the sidewalks are slick. Mitzi slipped on the icy step so I knew I better be careful. There will probably be indoor recess at the school today. It is my first day back after break.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

janiee
True Blue Farmgirl

820 Posts

Janie
Shawnee Oklahoma
USA
820 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2017 :  3:33:22 PM  Show Profile
Hi all! My allergies are going crazy today so this will be short. I hope everyone had a good new years. My was spent quietly at home with my dogs. Favourite place to be. Cindy, pecan tassies are mini pecan pies made in muffin tins. The pastry usually contains cream cheese. Very very good.
Haven't done much today. Cedar count is really high so my eyes are itching worse than ever and nose is a fountain.....bleh oh the spell check is getting on my nerves...sorry. Tomorrow will be better. Hugs to all
Janiee
farmgirl 390.

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2017 :  4:23:15 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

Rained, snowed and sleeted most of the day. Mostly did dsC's schoolwork.

Sweet dreams.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2017 :  8:29:15 PM  Show Profile
it has gotten cold again and is supposed to snow tonight. Maybe it's snowing now, I haven't looked outside lately. At the first of the year it was mild and my shoulders didn't bother me. As soon as it got cold, the pain returned and now I am wearing a fleece jacket at home because it keeps my shoulders warm and they don't hurt as much. Arthritis is a good indicator of the weather. I hope Mar is OK. It was very foggy and misty here when it was in the 50's. I had a brief scare on New Year's Day--I drove past my friend Anna's house and the car was gone, all the light were out and the blinds all closed. It was obvious no one was living there. I'd had a dream a few months ago that i drove to her house and she wasn't living there....I asked a neighbor and she has moved to the same retirement community as my parents! She's been there about a month and loves it. I didn't see her before Christmas cause I had that horrible cold and she smokes and I just can't be around people who smoke when I have respiratory issues. I saw her yesterday and she is doing well. I am going to introduce her to my parents...my mom is always saying she doesn't know anyone out there, well, Anna is quite outgoing (most of the time) and maybe she can relate to my mom in a way i can't. Keeping my fingers crossed (and my toes and my eyes....)
Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Go to Top of Page

craftingram
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Karin
Nashville In
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2017 :  05:35:38 AM  Show Profile
Good morning! 24 here and snowing. We're trying to decide whether to plow the driveway before we leave for town. It is steep and windy so can be a real problem if it gets too snowy or icy.
Got to do some cross stitching and knitting yesterday.

Karin
Sister #2708

Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2017 :  06:00:19 AM  Show Profile
New Years here was very quiet. We do not go to the party they have here, there are too many obnoxious people that drink too much. We were both in bed before midnight anyway. I go to bed early.
Cindy, I can imagine that would be scary to see your friend's hose all closed up and not know what is going on.
Bob's only living aunt left passes away the other day and not one of his family let him know. I saw it on facebook. He is pretty mad at his family right now. I don't blame him, mine does the same thing.
I have been planting seeds in pots in my new greenhouse. I am in my glory when I can play in the dirt.
It is going to get cold here this weekend, in the 30s and 40s at night and 50s during the day. I know most of you would love that and feel warm, but that is cold down here in Florida. I plan on finishing my curtains that I started months ago. I just need to hem them now, but seems I do not get to the sewing machine that often. I may roast a turkey to keep us warm too.
Well, time to get the day going. Have a great day,

Jan
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2017 :  07:01:09 AM  Show Profile
Jan -- You are sounding like a real "Floridian!" Nice that you have acclimated so well. We are cold today and expecting a light snow overnight, but I got out for my walk this morning. If I can keep my feet warm I do okay. I have lost about 30 pounds since late August, and I find that the cold goes right through me now.

Janie -- I have a niece in Big Sandy, but I don't know where that is relative to Waco -- I just know that she keeps saying she would LOVE some nice cold winter because her allergies have been awful lately. I know she has been miserable. I am grateful not to have allergies like that.

Holly -- Whenever I think of complaining about the cold weather, I like to think of you up there in your mountains where there is REAL cold! Makes me feel all warm and toasty -- ha ha. Of course, they way you work, you probably keep yourself warm. I don't know how you get it all in.

Yesterday was my mother's 85th birthday. I spoke to her in the morning and she was doing pretty well -- very upbeat and "connected." By the time my little brother called her last night, she was tired out and very upset. The gift card on her flowers said "Happy 85th Birthday" and she was absolutely convinced that she was only 81. She fussed and fussed at my poor brother about "them" getting the calendars all messed up. Then she called and left me a very wandering voicemail about it. She said she didn't want to walk around even more confused than she already was. She has some issues with "sundowning," as they call it -- when she gets tired later in the day, she gets more and more confused -- very common with dementia. But for the most part, she is doing quite well since Daddy passed. She's eating more and gaining a little weight.

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2017 :  4:48:38 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

Yesterday was balmy compared to today. The temperatures were in the twenties but the wind was biting cold. I forgot to let the young cows out of their stall today. They had hay and water enough but really missed wandering around with Coco all day. I haven't done that before. Probably won't do it a gain either. Oh, well.

I know other people including my dd who have lost weight and can not deal with the cold anymore. I guess I have just learned how to dress warmly. I would suggest a nice pair of flannel lined jeans or Carharts. I like them much better than wearing long underwear.

I have dreams too that come real. Not so many for a while but they are starting again. I am glad your friend. Anna, is well.

We live at the end of a half mile dirt road that is plowed and maintained by the town. Not windy but steep. I do not envy you your job of keeping the road passable. But, privacy is wonderful. I think that if it were not a town road that I would need to buy a four wheeler and make a garage at the bottom so I would not have to worry about clearing it in the winter.

Jan, it seems to me that the relatives were unkind to you and dh when you were up north. Now I guess that while it is still hurtful it is not so constant. Plant a pretty bush in his aunt's honor so he can sit near it and talk to her.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2017 :  08:45:36 AM  Show Profile
Miss Optimism ordered three new rose bushes yesterday! We had snow overnight, and our winter has really just begun, but the thought of those lovely fragrant roses just waiting to arrive will keep me smiling until spring. We had 2 inches or so of snow -- the road crews had brined yesterday and the truck came out our road and threw cinders sometime overnight, so it wasn't too bad. I ride to work with Dude, anyway, so no worries. Today the sun is shining brightly and I got my walk in early. I love being out when the shopkeepers are just opening their doors and sweeping the walks. Gets my day started on a bright note, which I need.

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2017 :  4:06:49 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

I was reading the advertisements for roses in R.H. Shumway's catalog. I was amused in the descriptions to read 35 petals. 28 petals or some other count. Now who sits and counts the petals on a rose bush. I would like to get more roses and some climbing ones. I have a pot pourri started. Well, I have some of the rose petals I need. I thin I need three or four more inches of dried petals. So, I covered what I had with salt and am waiting for next year to complete the recipe. I know virtually nothing about roses. We have rosa rugosa and we pick the bugs off and put them in vegetable oil to feed the chickens.

The chickens are starting to recognize that spring is on its way. The roosters have been inactive utntil a few days ago. they have started to gather their girls. This year we have only two roosters. Last year we had eleven. They do make good soup. One of the roosters is one that a hen hatched this past summer.

I would like to build a structure and plant rose bushes to climb up the sides. I am not sure whether it should be a porch swung cover or a picnic area. I also have grapes to plant that I bought last year and have the same options for structures for them to grow on. Then I would need to decide where in the field to put them up. Decisions......decisions.....hahahaha

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

craftingram
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Karin
Nashville In
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2017 :  06:15:42 AM  Show Profile
The sun is shining and it's -1 this morning. It may get up in the teens but the windchill will keep it below zero so I don't think I'll be going for a walk today. My son in Virginia is supposed to get 8-12 inches of snow, very rare for that area.
I would love to have some roses, but the deer like them as much as I do, so they have not done well here.
I have a big pot of soup simmering. It's a good day to do some baking and sit at my spinning wheel for awhile.

Karin
Sister #2708

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2017 :  2:29:41 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

-20 this morning waking up. The sky was a lovely powder blue. I spent the day grocery shopping. It is done.

The good news of the day is that I heard from Mar. The note said she is well and will write more later.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2017 :  04:52:51 AM  Show Profile
Holly - That is good news. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page

craftingram
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Karin
Nashville In
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2017 :  07:29:32 AM  Show Profile
Holly, so glad you heard from Mar.
Another cold day here. Worked out this morning and will go and knit with another group this afternoon.

Karin
Sister #2708

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2017 :  5:21:50 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

A high of 12 F this afternoon. I finally put up the thermometer in the garden so I can be informed about how cold I should gear myself up to endure. I sure am glad I am not living in an unchinked log cabin with a hide door and a small open fireplace for heat. I do not know how women survived back in the day. I believe I stated something of the same last year and I am still glad.

The sky however was a beautiful powder blue all day long.

The chickens are not pleased that their water bucket froze.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

craftingram
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Karin
Nashville In
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2017 :  05:42:44 AM  Show Profile
Good morning! Our outside thermometer says 33, the one on the thermostat says 36, and Weatherunderground says 40. I'm never sure which one to believe.
I agree Holly, I certainly wouldn't want to live that way. DH's pottery studio is a log cabin. It's well chinked, has a woodburning stove and a wall propane heater, but he is still hard pressed to keep it warm enough to work in during the winter.
Cloudy and drizzling now. Today's big task is to start reorganizing my craft room.

Karin
Sister #2708

Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2017 :  06:11:10 AM  Show Profile
We started out in the teens this morning, but are supposed to be getting a big warming trend -- 39 by this evening and up near 60??????? in the next day or so. Hmmmmm As long as the weather cooperates so we can fly out on the 21st for our yearly visit to St John -- last year we had a tremendous blizzard at the very end of our week away and actually came home a day early and just barely beat the blizzard home. Then it was so nice to be snowed in for a couple of days, enjoying the comforts of hearth and home. I am with you all -- our ancestors must have been made of much tougher stuff than I am!!

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2017 :  06:41:19 AM  Show Profile
Today we have 27 degrees and more snow. Yesterday was beastly cold with snow. The snow is fluffier today because of the warmer air. I have to be out and about outside the neighborhood twice a week and I always hope for an easier time of it.

One of the engineers at the school is out. That means there are only three in the school now to keep the place clean. The head engineer has asked us all to help them out by picking up trash and cleaning rubbing our shoes on the rug before we step onto the floor. They have such a huge job!

I am just about ready to get started on my UFOs. Anyone who hasn't yet please sign up on the Finish Those UFOs in 2017 thread. We have a good group and several UFOs already completed. The UFOs are not limited to just fiber crafts. Anything is eligible. Got a closet that needs cleaning, cabinet that needs organizing, attic/garage/basement needs sorting out? These are all worthy projects and their completion will be celebrated.

Marilyn, how's the sock sniper challenge going this year?

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2017 :  07:55:39 AM  Show Profile
I know you are all a lot colder than here in Florida, but it was down to 35 the other morning, yesterday it was 45, today, 49. It is supposed to warm up to71 today, so we are now out of the cold spell. My bones do not like the cold weather, so I am in pretty much pain, but glad we do not get frost this far south.
Today is the first time out since Friday. The sun is shining brightly, and warming up. I did a load of laundry and hung it out. I love to be able to hang clothes out all year long. Smells so fresh.
I transplanted a bunch of flower pots and herbs on Friday, they were getting so big in their pots. Now I have almost twice as many plants as I had before. Everyone in the RV park come by all the time to take a look at my gardens. I am so thankful we have a big lot here to do all this planting. I planted a banana tree a few months ago and it seems to be growing. Don't know how long it will take to get bananas on it. here is one down the road here that got 11 bananas on it this fall. They were really tiny, but cute. My lemon tree I planted from seed last Feb. is now close to 7 feet tall. Can you tell I like gardening?
Glad to hear Mar is doing well. Wish they would all come back to the forum. I have been on here since 2011 and there have been a lot of great girls that came and went. We miss them. The more the merrier, and support for the rest of us.
I made a turkey on Sunday to use the oven to warm us up. I had to put it in a cake pan because a roaster will not fit in my small oven. Half way through, I checked it, pulled out the shelf a bit, and all of a sudden the shelf gave out from the weight and the turkey fell to the floor. I had tin foil on it, and it fell onto that, so it was saved. At least I did not get burnt, but the carpet got splattered, now I need to shampoo it again. I just did them all last month!!! Oh well, we did have turkey dinner, after I had to cut it in half and put it in the crock pot, cook half one day, and half the next. I guess we will not have turkey anymore unless it gets cut in half.
Hope you are all staying warm. Have a great day,

Jan
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2017 :  08:44:34 AM  Show Profile
Jan - I did a turkey breast roast in the slow cooker on Saturday. Rubbed it all over with some herbs, then added an envelope of onion soup mix with about 3/4 cup of water -- cooked it all day on low. It was so nice and moist! Left us wishing we had done a larger one. My folks lived in RV's for several winters during their retirement and it was always interesting listening to hear how my mother worked around the smaller oven. They were in Arizona, so she cooked outside a lot of the time -- a little table set up under their awning for the crockpot and roaster oven.

Farmgirl #6318

Edited by - Marilyn Hartman Sullivan on Jan 11 2017 10:49:12 AM
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2017 :  4:31:35 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

Temperatures were in the fifties today. The sky was a lovey deep pastel blue. The wind has subsided tonight. West of us the wind hit 65 mph. Here it was gusty but not dangerous. Some people lost power from the wind but we did not. It did mess ip the phone lines and the internet service., though.

I had a more lengthy note from Mar. She is busy and cooking vegan to keep her dh's cholesterol manageable. I am glad to hear from her.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2017 :  6:09:58 PM  Show Profile
We had a wind gust here yesterday of 71 mph. My gutter is still in the front yard. I will out it back up when I'm sure the wind is done blowing. Now they are predicting an unpredictable ice storm. What else is new?
Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2017 :  06:27:40 AM  Show Profile
Yesterday morning we had so much ice on the roads that the tow trucks ran out of trucks to go haul all the messes away! They were alllllll busy. We had two detours on our way in to work. Roads were closed because of ice and because of accidents. What a messy mess it was. This morning, the temps are in the 50s and supposed to be near 60 around noon. I had a much more pleasant walk this morning, I can tell you. I think my feet may even be thawing out.

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 408 Gathered Up: Previous Topic Over 50 Farmgirls Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page