jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2016 :  08:14:40 AM  Show Profile
Getting ready to batten down the hatches for Matthew to hit. We are supposed to get real high winds here in the central part of Florida. We have never been through a hurricane yet, so we do not know what to expect. We are well stocked up with water, gas filled in the car, and food in the cupboards. We will not be evacuating unless it comes closer to shore.
I have jury duty Monday, am really hoping they cancel it. I know how to get here now, over 30 miles from here, so have to leave in the dark to get there by 8. I just started to drive around here, not as bad as I thought it would be. It is busy here and with all the snowbirds that drive differently, it is a challenge.
It has been quiet on here lately. Hope everyone is okay and just busy. I am still doing pool aerobics daily, there are a few of us now working out together.
Well, time to start preparing for the big storm. Have a great day.
It is starting to cool down here a bit, in the low 80s now, more tolerable. I will keep you informed about the weather, if we do not lose power.

Jan
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2016 :  5:13:01 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

The weather has cleared off. We did not receive much rain. I heard from the weather guessers that it was 1/25th of an inch. The spring in the barn is very low. We have to take water from the house to the pig yard in buckets with the tractor. I do not like it. I hope we get several inches of rain soon.

The leaves have started to turn. The reds are in full glory, the oranges are starting. Some of the trees are quite spectacular with the orange tops and the bottoms still green. Pictures do not do the hills justice.

last summer I brought in some garlic scapes after they had dried. I thought each little bulb had a very strong taste. This spring I planted one. It came up like a chia pet. This fall I dug it up and separated the bulbs and planted them . They are growing well. I do not know how many bulbs each one will get over the winter and next summer. I am prepared to leave them in the ground a second year if necessary. It is an interesting science experiment. I have many like more than 50 garlic cloves to plant. I asked C to pick me up some when she bought grain and she went over the top. If they all come up we will have a nice crop next year.

We celebrated my foster daughter's birthday tonight. She is 47. She was so happy to have her birthday party. She is very fun to have a party for. She smiles and claps.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2016 :  10:17:11 PM  Show Profile
g

Edited by - prariehawk on Nov 04 2016 6:16:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2016 :  12:58:37 PM  Show Profile
Good afternoon,

I took dsG and dsC to Social Security to get them updated card with their adopted name on them. I had many documents but not the right one and they would not accept them without the one they wanted. So, I have to find that one and return to the office. We need the new names on the cards in order to have their insurance cards with the right name. The last insurance company put their new names on their insurance cards from the beginning. I had so wanted to remove this task from my to do list.

I came home and blocked up 4 logs. One of the big boys is supposed to come tomorrow and work with dsK to split the pile of wood. I wanted to have a lot there so there would be less to do later on. Then dsC and I attached four more trees to the back of the tractor and brought them out to the landing. That was the end of my outside time.

I would be worried as well Cindy if I were in your job. Discrepancies like that cause me to have high anxiety. I hope they figure it out. I am glad you caught the error.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2016 :  11:02:37 AM  Show Profile
We ended up evacuating here and drove up north to the middle of Georgia. All the schools closed, as well as the courts, and even the theme parks. We had to pay a very high price for our motel room for 2 days, but better safe than sorry. We came back yesterday. They only had high winds and some rain here, nothing major. Good thing we filled p the gas tank before we left. All the gas stations on the way home were out of gas until Monday. Good to be back home.

Jan
Farmgirl Sister #3340

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2016 :  11:30:06 AM  Show Profile
My father-in-law wants to move back down to Ocalas, Florida. He says he doesn't want to be in the cold. Where he is now northwest of Minneapolis is where he grew up and all his extended family is there. He believes that they would be able to come visit him frequently. We could only get there once a year. He wants us to stay for a week at a time. That would be very difficult for us. If this is the way he wants it, I will then continue to West Palm Beach to spend time with my sister. We have been to see him in Florida three times and I was unable to see her. If he wants to move, these are my conditions. He could move here to Minneapolis. I know a very nice place about 12 blocks south of us and it is on a good bus line to the nearest VFW, the Sculpture Garden, Loring Park (a very nice place) and downtown. We could go see him once a week or more. I can see us watching TV, playing cards, etc.

Oh well!

It is cold here and I am not just talking about outdoors which is actually very nice. The heat does not get turned on until the 15th. I have one window without a storm, one window in which the storm won't come down and two windows which are just impossible to close. I won't be able to have the maintenance guy in for a while. Because I have to move a bunch of our stuff out of the way for him to work on them. I just wish the building would go ahead and pay the money necessary to install decent windows that don't leak cold air like a sieve. Really!!!

I'm busy working with kids. We will all be observed tomorrow so we have to remember to wear our red "Reading Corps" shirts.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2016 :  4:23:29 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

Today was our first real fall day temperature wise. The thermometer read 40 F when I woke up to do chores at 6:15 AM. The wind was blustery all last night and all day. We have a very nice set of wind chimes that are on the west side of the house. They are lower tones. We have been serenaded for hours now. The tones are quite comforting.

We worked for four hours today splitting wood with the splitter. I look at that pile and wonder how Jan could have split so much by hand. I am sore and tired. To give you a hint of how sore I took ibuprofen twice this afternoon. I am looking forward to a nice hot shower.

I am glad you and your home are alright, Jan. A relief.

Maybe you need to make some sort of window quilt although they would only really be good for those windows and would be less useful in a new apartment. I am thinking of making one for our french door in the back end of the house. I can see daylight on the hinge sides of the doors. Last year I stuffed them with cloth to keep the wind from blowing through.

Your FIL may be ruminating. Maybe Lowell could visit longer and leave you be.

Holly
farmgirl #2499

Edited by - Tall Holly on Oct 10 2016 4:27:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2016 :  6:12:15 PM  Show Profile
g

Edited by - prariehawk on Nov 04 2016 6:10:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2016 :  6:30:29 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

We have three and a half rows of wood in the barn. A row is 12 feet long and 6 feet high. Only two more rows to go and we will have in next year's wood. If we have a viciously cold winter it will give us a cushion to not have to worry about running out. I do not like to be cold. at all.

We have finally had our first real frost of the season. It wiped out the zucchini and tomato plants. Now the days are balmy again. We had a bit of rain today but not enough. I hope it rains through the night.

I have my computer sitting on my lap and it is hard for me to see the type from this far back. LIke an arm's length. I am getting my new glasses on Monday.

I hope you get to go camping in a nice rejuvenation place, Cindy. Has your body recovered fromt he stings yet?

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2016 :  08:09:04 AM  Show Profile
It has been so pleasant here weatherwise, lows in the 60s and 80s during the day with low humidity. So nice to finally open the windows again. have been sleeping so good the last few days with the cool air blowing on me. I have been doing water aerobics 5 days a week for an hour for 7 weeks now. It sure does help with my bones. I also have more energy, now that it is cooler out. The water in the pool is a bit chilly, but once you get used to it, it feels so refreshing.
Olivia had to go in and get all her shots yesterday, Thursday she will get her teeth cleaned and probably at least n tooth extracted. So good to finally have a vet close by here to take her to.
I did not have to go for jury duty, that was a relief. I hope they do not call me again this year.
Holly, I know how that feels to have enough wood cut for the season, and you have for next year too. that is a smart way to do it, you never know if you have a long cold winter ahead of you.
Cindy, I hope you get to go camping. It can be very comforting this time of the year, but make sure you go before hunting season. You never know.
Marie, Hope you are adjusting to longer hours now. I hope all works out well for you.
Well, gotta go to the store for a few groceries. Have a great day and weekend,

Jan
Farmgirl Sister #3340

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2016 :  4:09:03 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

DsC and I are working on putting the garden to bed. He is picking the green tomatoes and pulling the plants. It is odd to him to pick the green ones. If there were any red ones he would be happy. He was feeding the green ones to the chickens until I told him to put them in the bag to ripen. I picked the last of the green beans. They were very big. We bought a cutter to make them into fileted beans so we will try that.

Temperatures were in the fifties today, sunny and clear.

A friend is hiking part of the Long Trail with four of her friends for the weekend. They are all around 40 and all back pack. They should have a great time. The views should be spectacular.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2016 :  7:14:29 PM  Show Profile
g

Edited by - prariehawk on Nov 04 2016 6:11:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2016 :  6:19:54 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

I wish I had time today to make a dessert to celebrate. Maybe I will have to make two tomorrow. hahaha

We did in our turkeys today. I think there were thirteen in all. We did in two of our neighbor's birds in that count. She was off hiking a piece of the Long Trail with four of her girlfriends for her birthday. They are all far more physically fit than I am and twenty years younger as well. I guess I should have said in the original sentence that they were backpacking not just hiking.. I could have done the hiking but the backpacking might have put me over the top. She ran a marathon in Chicago last weekend and donated money to cancer. She is the age her mom was when she died and her daughter who is ten is the age she was when her mom died.

Today was a lovely day. Temperatures in the high fifties with a clear brilliant blue sky. We were taking the plucker and scalder back to the person we rent it from and the moon came up over the lake we were passing. It was gorgeous.

Sleep well,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2016 :  9:07:38 PM  Show Profile
I have many green tomatoes myself. Holly, what kind of bag do you put them in and were do you put the bags to make them ripen?

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

craftingram
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Karin
Nashville In
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2016 :  07:04:11 AM  Show Profile
The weather here has been beautiful this last week. Colors are running behind last year, but they are changing. That hasn't stopped the leafpeepers. Traffic is crazy and and the businesses in our little town are doing lots of business. DH is having trouble keeping pottery in the gallery where he sells.
Just had Facetime with two of my precious grandbabies, the other one is on a sleepover. Always fun to talk to them. We will be spending Thanksgiving with them.
Jan, I'm glad you got through the hurricane all right. I have a friend in St Augustine. Her house got through ok, but trees did fall on her fence and pool cover. My DIL's home town of Manteo, NC didn't fare too well. Her mom's veterinary clinic was damaged and much of the little town flooded.
Going to go for a walk. Hope everyone has a lovely day.

Karin
Sister #2708

Romans 8: 38,39
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2016 :  2:21:32 PM  Show Profile
put the tomatoes in a brown paper bag. Do not stack them too deep. put them in a dark closet.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2016 :  08:45:33 AM  Show Profile
Hey girls!

I have been holding off posting here because I feel like it's sort of a sacred part of our sisterhood and just didn't feel right interrupting by jumping in... BUT the big 5-1 is around the corner, so it's time...

I am thrilled to say I crested the big 5-0 hill back in December! So much has changed for me in these past few months, it is amazing. I think what has struck me most is all of the changes I have experienced physically - it's like some weird switch turned on and said, "OK, body, let's see what she can do now!" Oyoyoy. But I also feel so much more confident and happy in my own skin now than I ever have before in my life. It's like suddenly everything has come together, and I really am okay with "me."

What kinds of changes have you all experienced since turning 50? What do you like most? What do you like least? Any advice going forward?

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2016 :  4:26:37 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

Before I turned 40 I could eat anything I wanted and gain no weight. After I turned 40 I could eat but would gain weight. After 50 I do not feel as hungry as a used to all the time. I started perimenopause at 35 and finally finished at 55. A long time of mood swings and hot flashes.
Now I feel stronger than I have for a really long time both physically and emotionally. I feel like a light fog that I had been living in is lifted and I can think and problem solve more easily. I am able to organize my self and think through projects and make fewer mistakes.

I think having the perimenopause last so long was a pain in the neck but it kept osteoporosis from becoming prominent and interfering in my life.

I feel honored that you think of this site as sacred ground. I hope we live up to this exalted position. What do you think other Sisters of the Iris? lol

Welcome Nini.

Today was in the high seventies and low eighties. It is so hard to believe it is so warm so late in the fall. The ferry between Fort Ticonderoga in New York state and crossing to Vermont closed today because the water in Lake Champlain is so low. it usually only closes because the ice is too thick.

I took two of the little boys to their therapies this morning. In the afternoon I worked on pulling up dead plants from the garden.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2016 :  7:13:35 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Nini. I am so glad to have a new person join. I started feeling better about myself after 50. I started to have a few personal ambitions. Nothing big but, nonetheless, I now had ambitions. I feel more emotionally centered. Stuff doesn't bother me as much as it once did. I still become enraged however the rage soon turns to laughter as I realize how silly it is to be so angry. I am 55, have had a hysterectomy and am still having hot flashes. I had wished to experience menopause intact but that was not to be.

Today was very humid. It was hot and sweaty indoors. I have a spot in a stairwell where I meet with my students and it was cool in there. I have been entering the data into the data base and looking at the results. Two of my students are on track to reach the benchmark by the end of the year. This is good news.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2016 :  9:37:49 PM  Show Profile
g

Edited by - prariehawk on Nov 04 2016 6:13:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2016 :  9:52:44 PM  Show Profile
Thank you for the warm welcome and for sharing your insights, girls! I really appreciate it!

That is so interesting, Cindy. We were just talking at home today about how stressed and achy we feel, attributing it to all the craziness leading up to the election. At this point, I think most are ready to just vote and get this all over with so we can get on with the real concerns of our days. The daily barrage of negativity from both sides sure does give people a sense of hopelessness for the future. We are all exhausted from all of this, and you can't escape it, no matter to which channel you turn or to which radio station you listen. Such an amazing testimony for turning off the electronics and finding something else to do with our time, huh? The older I get, and the more concerns we have in our private life, the more I seek peace and quiet and calm. I drive the guys nuts when I'm driving because I insist on NO RADIO. No radio, no CD player, no nothing. We've also found ourselves simply turning off the television a bit more often nowadays. It's amazing because we end up having some wonderful conversation when we do this. Laughing and talking with my family is the best R&R, to me!

I hope you feel better soon... Just a few more weeks... Just a few more weeks...

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Edited by - Ninibini on Oct 18 2016 9:58:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

craftingram
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Karin
Nashville In
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2016 :  05:31:12 AM  Show Profile
Starting out to be another beautiful day here. The leaves are turning more and the weather is great.
My husband bought an old 4-wheel drive beater pickup yesterday. We have a steep winding driveway and in the winter time his 2-wheel drive Tundra has trouble getting up the hill so he takes my AWD. It's a project, and now we have to contend with three vehicles, but at least I'll have my car
Nini, so happy to see you on here. I've enjoyed and learned from so many of your posts. Keeping you and your family in prayer.
Hope everyone has a lovely day.

Karin
Sister#2708

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2016 :  7:16:51 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone

Our hills are mostly yellows now. All of the bright oranges have passed. They are still brilliant. We are having rain, finally. I hope that it continues for several days. If it does our leaf season will be over. Then for the feet of snow that would be welcome.

We live at the end of a half mile dirt road that is plowed and maintained by the town. We feel lucky to have a town road to our door. We do not have neighbors and our land starts about halfway down so we have privacy. I am glad you have a beater truck now to plow and make it on the ice. Do you have much snow?

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

craftingram
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Karin
Nashville In
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2016 :  06:04:48 AM  Show Profile
Sun is shining today after rain all day yesterday. Our colors will probably peak early next week. The traffic is still crazy.
Holly, we live at the end of a half mile long gravel road. We have a lot of privacy too. It is maintained by the county and they take pretty good care of it. But, we're way down on the list of who gets plowed out first. We have a six wheel Polaris with a plow, so when it snows DH plows our crazy driveway and usually ends up doing the whole road so we can get out. The first two winters we were here we had pretty deep snow for months. The last two years snow was pretty sparse. So, who knows what we'll have this year.
Time to go stock up on groceries, company coming next week.
Hope everyone has a lovely day.

Karin
Sister #2708

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2016 :  09:04:46 AM  Show Profile
I will be getting my windows closed today. For those who do not know, my apartment building has very cheap, very dysfunctional combination windows in that the storm is on the inside instead on the outside were it belongs and many of them have had the latches broken plus my hands do not work as well as once they did. The sashes are old and stick. So, I move everything away from the windows (plants and plant table in the living room; sewing machine, sewing table, craft supplies; sewing supplies, etc.) in the bedroom and call the maintenance guy. He comes over and closes the windows. I do it all again in the spring. Whew! In this small apartment I have no other place to put my plants or my sewing studio. I am now waiting for the maintenance guy. The good thing about all this is I can clean these areas now.

This is student conference week and I am not working today.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 408 Gathered Up: Previous Topic Over 50 Farmgirls Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page