Author Gathered Up: Previous Topic Over 50 Farmgirls Next Topic
Page: of 408

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2016 :  9:29:38 PM  Show Profile
They came again today and tried to unclog the sewer...it appears that since the pipes are so old (from 1950) part of them has collapsed. They will use a special eel with a camera or something on Saturday to determine just where the spot is---the bad news is that insurance doesn't cover it. The guy said it may be all the way out to under the street and the city doesn't pay for it. I will look up the laws pertaining to how this works in my town. It can get very expensive, I know that. I know the house directly across from me had problems with their sewer line in the past two years.
I am feeling overwhelmed by the idea that my FMLA will run out before I can return to work. If it does, they don't have to hold my job. And I can't get unemployment unless I'm able to work. I am so stressed I can only eat one meal a day. Just to keep going. Have no appetite at all. My next paycheck will be small. I am existing on caffeine and my meds. I see my dr. on Monday (for the meds.). I am starting to feel paranoid and that is not good.
I don't like feeling this way.
Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2016 :  07:02:47 AM  Show Profile
Woke up last night with huge pain in my left hip. Shin splints are yucky. Blisters on the backs of both heels. Opted OUT of big long walk this morning! Dude dropped me off uptown so I could get some coffee at my regular stop, then picked me up on his way back through from the gas station. I have just over a third of a mile on my pedometer right now, when normally I would be at just over a mile and a half. I just don't think I could stand it today, though. Maybe I will jump on the elliptical tonight -- that's easier on my body.

Since I didn't go walkies and we were in town nice and early, I got right into my lesson (#4 of 12) and got that done. Just now cleaned the bathroom -- which I HATE doing! It's bad enough doing toilets at home, but cleaning the one here at the shop makes me half sick. I don't know how people can be such pigs. My guys clean up after themselves -- even wipe out the sink when they wash their hands inside instead of out in the shop, but some of these customers!!! I keep threatening to hang a sign that says PUT DOWN THE SEAT WHEN YOU ARE DONE --- THIS MEANS YOU!!! I guess it's a Farmgirl thing -- you leave the gate the way you found it, you know? Sigh.

It is pleasantly warm out, but very dark. The weather radar shows a line of rainclouds headed this way. Everything is turning so green so suddenly -- you can almost hear the buds bursting! Our lawn guy is bringing us a truckload of mushroom soil tomorrow. We wanted to amend our soil before the garden goes in. There are a slew of mushroom houses around here -- it's one of the biggest agricultural industries around. The soil they produce is really really rich and makes your garden grow like crazy. One of those odd little local "things" where you have to know someone to get it.

Just looked up and it is pouring rain like crazy. That will make everything grow that much faster.

I hope there is a little more going on here than there was yesterday! It did give me plenty of time to cross-stitch, though. Usually Fridays are a busy day for people to make payments. That should pick up this afternoon.

Farmgirl #6318
"Where there's a will -- there's probably a family fight."
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2016 :  08:21:50 AM  Show Profile
Dear Goddesses of the Iris,

I have been around and so busy. On Tuesday, I turned 55 and snow fell cold and wet the next day. I'm used to this. One of the kids gave me a hand drawn card. I told her that I was going to keep it. When she asked me why, I told her that I keep all the artwork that kids make for me and I look at it when I need to feel better.

At Dungeons & Dragons we have split the tables up so the adolescents are at one table and adults at another. It is sooooo much better. We adults know how to control our bodies and are more decisive and do not argue with the leader. We will also be able to explore some more adult situations and morally hazy ideas. It is a much more enjoyable time. The two guys who left our table are now running a game of their own and learning much about running a game of this kind and keeping everyone entertained.

Last night, I was elected to the Whittier Alliance board of directors. We make decisions on the character and direction of our neighborhood. Our neighborhood have some important issues coming up. One of the main streets through our neighborhood was blocked off by a large KMart store. This means that the way to the south is blocked and everyone has to go one block to get around it. This is now in the process of being reversed. I want it to happen so that our neighborhood can become more walkable and attractive. The other issue is one of increased population density. Our neighborhood is close to the very popular and hip Uptown neighborhood. That neighborhood has been built up with high rise condo projects. Some of these places are too expensive for most people to own and at least one of them has water drainage problems. It seems as if they are building a high rise on any available land no matter the consequences. Here in Whittier, we want to be more careful. I am okay with a building that provides units that I could afford to rent in a nice looking energy efficient building that doesn't shade the neighboring housing and doesn't cause additional traffic problems. One building being proposed is right on Lyndale Avenue which has the highest traffic levels in the city. They want to put a lower end grocery store on the first floor which is not a good match for our progressive neighborhood. I have a lot to think about.

I have a week off from school. This week I will be doing exactly what I want.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2016 :  09:00:59 AM  Show Profile
Marie -- Glad you got elected -- sounds like they will benefit from having your input. I have never played one of those games that you do, but it sounds like having the kids at a separate table makes sense.

After that rain came through it has turned cool. I was quite comfortable this morning, but I just now turned the heat on. Brrrr.

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2016 :  5:34:18 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

I do not envy you having to pull twine from even one round bale. We fed them a couple of winters and the the string was a royal pain in the tookus. I had thought I should save it all and do something with it. We have used it for tying trellises for cucumbers to climb. It was strong and would not rot.

Now if I turn the page on this site I will lose the post so on it goes.

added on:

Cindy I am appalled that the city does not pay for the sewer pipe especially when it is in their area. How expensive it will be to have to dig up the road and replace it. You have so many worries on your plate and I am helpless to fix any of them to ease your burdens. Call your friends that help when your emotions get the better of you. hugs to you.

Marie you are taking on more and more responsibility. It all sounds so very interesting. Congratulations on your 55th. Just a babe. hahaha.

Mushroom soil sounds like it would be very well decomposed and the nitrogen ready to be released for your plants. I hope you are stockpiling mason jars for canning. How is the new space in your house? The pain in your hip could be the bursitis that I have. I can not remember the first word of the condition but there are exercises to strengthen the muscles on line.

C took the day off from work today and we went birthday shopping for big dsR. We had conversation that was not interrupted by children.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499

Edited by - Tall Holly on Mar 25 2016 5:47:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2016 :  9:31:13 PM  Show Profile
If they have to dig up the street, I found the city will pay for that. But I am responsible for the lateral even if it crosses the street. Crossing my fingers that the cave in is before the street. At any rate, my front yard will be dug up so I guess it's good I haven't planted anything in that garden bed. There used to be a tree there that we took down, stump and all, cause it was directly over the sewer line. Usually these repairs are no less than six thousand dollars, sometimes more. someone told me if I couldn't pay it, they will put a mechanic's lien on my house, and then I can repay it at about $55.oo a month with no interest, for however long it takes. The person who told me this lives in Missouri so I don't know what the laws are in Illinois. It'll get fixed one way or another. It's only backing up slightly in the basement and as long as I don't take a bath or wash clothes, which releases lots of water quickly, it seems to be OK. I am flushing only when necessary. My basement has a concrete floor so no damage there.
My brothers are here to clean out my parents' house today. There was a cast iron Dutch oven in the shed that I never knew we had. So I took it home and since Mary Jane had an article on cleaning cast iron in a recent issues, I am going to clean it up and use it when (if) I go camping. Jaxon has never been camping. he is almost four and not quite as puppyish as he used to be. He barks more often and it sounds like a big dog's bark. He is growing up ;)
Marilyn--I feel your pain. I have walked too far in shoes that didn't fit quite right and my heel rubbed the back and I never could get the bloodstain out of it. Please treat the blisters carefully--it is possible, though unlikely, to get blood poisoning that way. Everything is turning green here as well. Today was sunny, just a little chilly.
Marie--I am glad you have a say in the development of your neighborhood. It seems too often outsiders want to come in with the intent of making money, and have no regard for the people who live there.
Holly--I have bought mushroom compost in the past and it is fantastic. Plus it doesn't stink like a manure based compost.
I boiled some eggs with the intent to make egg salad. I need to eat. It helps my head function better. At least I am getting enough sleep.
Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2016 :  5:24:58 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

The day started out cold and progressed to t shirt weather. C finally started to boil down the sap. She will need to start early to make any progress tomorrow. She is happy.
the boys were out on the sand pile in their bare feet this afternoon. I am trying to landscape around the green house so the wind does not go under the walls.
The children colored their hard boiled eggs after supper. We use sharpies. It is so much easier than the store bought coloring. I put candy in plastic eggs and scattered them in one of the fields. It will take them a while to gather them. I spread them out. The boys are not so little any more and can work for their treats.

Yesterday I took dsG to the book store to spend his birthday money. He had a hard time picking which books he really wanted and fitting them into his budget. The fourth book in a series he is reading from the Land of Stories by Chris Colfer is only out in hard back. He really wanted it but was not willing to pay the hard cover price. He must wait until summer for it to come out in paperback.

I hope you can eat soon, Cindy. We have a saying here in Vermont, if it is yellow let it mellow and if it is brown flush it down. The next town over had to put a raised leech field in for the school because of state regs and how many children attended the school. After a few years someone noticed that the leech field had very little use. They rationalized that the children did not flush as often as city children. hahaha

I do not think of my life as romantic although I am amused that you do. I have pondered this statement for a few days. I do think of it as necessary for keeping the earth and doing my little piece to care for the earth. I think raising children who understand about nature and ecology and the interconnectedness of life is very important. I wonder as I get older if I could live where there are so many more people or whether it would make me crazy. I would like to be more self sufficient and off the grid. We will see how the bank account ka chings to afford solar panels.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2016 :  6:25:04 PM  Show Profile
Well, they dug up my yard today but I had to leave for my dr. appointment before they were done. Apparently they are going to have to dig up the street but I'm not sure if it's because my lateral has become unattached from the main, or if there is a problem with the main. I have contacted the guy three times and still haven't heard back. I guess it's OK to take a bath cause it appears the sewer is no longer backing up. While they were digging, there was a whooshing sound coming from the middle of the street and they said that was good, means the sewer is draining, but then I had to leave. My neighbor told me they checked the water meter at another house down the street and at the end of the street. So I wonder what's up. The city is responsible for the main. I swept up the sewage sludge in the basement and double-bagged it. Now I can't lift it. A job for one of my brothers. I tried knocking on the door of one of my neighbors who was helping them look at the meters---I think he works for the city, I know his son does. No one answered, I guess they were gone. I hope my maple tree doesn't go into shock from having some of its roots cut. Or maybe they were from the gum tree. Hard to tell. They dug down at least six feet and the water line is about two feet above the sewer line....they had to fill it back up cause they can't leave it open but they didn't compact the dirt as that could collapse the water line. Oh, am I getting an education.
Other than that, I put a layer of soil on top of the straw bales and will plant beets, carrots, lettuce, and spinach tomorrow. I had a healthy supper of chilled cantaloupe soup and grilled avocado. Had to eat healthy cause I got fries and a soda on my way to see the dr.
Cindy

Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2016 :  06:38:52 AM  Show Profile
Saw my new dentist first thing this morning. One filling down, lots yet to do, but it was nice to get started and get that first hurdle out of the way. I really liked this guy and his staff -- so much better fit for me than the Hollywood Upstairs dental practice I saw in November. I am still missing my "real" dentist, but life goes on.

Easter was quiet. Just Dude and me and some ham for dinner. Yesterday I made split pea with ham soup from the leftovers and we will be working on that for lunches this week. He bought a new grill on Sunday, so I know he wants to give that a test drive tonight.

My poor confused mother called me accidentally on Sunday while my dad was resting. They need to be in an assisted living facility SOON, but they just won't make the decision to go.

Happy Tuesday, everyone. I need to get at my "to-do" drawer!

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2016 :  08:52:15 AM  Show Profile
Good morning everyone. Just stopping in to say hi. Been busy making little girl pinafores for my new online shop. I need to decide on a name and order size tags. My oldest wants me to name it Screaming Little Monsters. He doesn't realize most moms don't take kindly to someone else calling their kids screaming monsters. I'm thinking maybe Happy little Monsters or My little Monster.
Ideas??

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com
Handmade stuff http://www.curiousorangecat.etsy.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2016 :  09:01:50 AM  Show Profile
I like "My Little Monster."

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2016 :  11:37:29 AM  Show Profile
Are you going to make boys and girls outfits?

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2016 :  6:16:57 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

I like Screaming little Monsters. Something catchy and memorable. I like Knee biters as well. Hope this store takes off and does well. I guess since you are thorough about these things you have done a little market research. My sister was making christening dresses for a while but never made it into a business. She said the time she put into the handwork made the dress too expensive and most families do not hand down christening dresses anymore. Well, on that asideI hope your stores sells dozens.

Cindy you are sounding better than last week. Glad you could take a bath without worrying.

Our weekend was gorgeous. Temperatures were in the high fifties and the sun shone wonderfully. We worked outside all weekend. DdK said that we must have Chinese food for Easter so we did. I put the plastic eggs out in the cut hayfield and the children had an awful time finding the eggs. On Saturday evening we used the permanent magic markers to draw on the eggs. The Sharpies come in many colors and the children like to draw little figures on the eggs.. I hid them in the house but up high enough so the dog would not eat them overnight. The day was enjoyable.

The decision to move to an assisted living situation would be so hard for your parents. It would throw your mother for a more intricate loop than she is already in. Is there not a home health agency in their area who could help with home care? I hope your mom does not start to wander.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2016 :  8:13:02 PM  Show Profile
Marie, I'm only doing girl stuff for now. I may do baby quilts using leftovers from men's shirts. Depending what I appliqué on them will determine boy or girl. But that is a ways off.

We hit 70 degrees today. It was so nice outside. Finally didn't need my jacket.

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com
Handmade stuff http://www.curiousorangecat.etsy.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2016 :  10:12:18 PM  Show Profile
On the Monster theme, how about "Ghouly Girls"?
Cindy

Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2016 :  06:19:49 AM  Show Profile
Holly -- I waver back and forth on my mother. Having someone come in would be the best of both worlds, but she can get really nasty and has run off everyone who has tried to come in and help. She will let them come once or twice and then she comes up with some excuse to not have them come back or she throws a big fit and says mean things and the person says "enough." It is so frustrating. Years ago, she had some back surgery and was not supposed to do anything that involved heavy lifting or bending, so I got in touch with a senior services organization in their town and hired a cleaning service that they recommended -- it was to be her birthday present from me -- for a whole year. Well, the lady came exactly two times. The first time, Mother thought it was wonderful and felt good to have the place so clean. The next time, she found fault with everything. There was no third time. I didn't find out about it until the agency sent me a check back for the balance of what I had pre-paid. She won't let another woman within 5 MILES of my father -- she is so awfully clingy and jealous (that has always included ME, by the way!).

I honestly think that once Daddy is gone, she will go downhill pretty quickly. She will sit in a corner and cry until her mind is completely gone. I watched her sister go the same way and they are just so much alike. She is going to need care, because Daddy has been taking care of everything. It is such a challenge. I guess I will wait to hear what Daddy's latest scan says.

Today is another lesson day. I had a wonderful walk this morning -- taking a few days off the pavement and using the elliptical seems to have helped -- no shin pain this morning at all! I should get to work. Already getting offers from people to work their Quicken set-ups for them. Not sure how far I want to go down that road just yet.

Farmgirl #6318

Edited by - Marilyn Hartman Sullivan on Mar 30 2016 12:27:15 PM
Go to Top of Page

bramblerose
True Blue Farmgirl

77 Posts

Canada
77 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2016 :  08:01:11 AM  Show Profile
Marilyn, your mother sounds so much like mine was. It's so hard to do anything for them... and yet, not doing anything.... :(

I spent two hours "editing" a photo of mom. It was one of the best ones ever taken of her, but dad was in the photo, too... so I edited him out and cloned the background. I'd never done that before. But the finished photo is good, even "excellent," my sister said, and ready to be sent to the funeral home for publication on their website, along with her obituary, which I wrote yesterday as well. As far as other executor/daughter duties, I am caught up to the "waiting" part.

We had some neighbours over for Easter dinner on Sunday, an elderly couple with no family nearby, like us. I cooked a turkey and of course, there's plenty of leftovers. I strip it off the bones while it's warm, then freeze it in meal portions for the two of us. And freeze the broth in portions as well, whether to make gravy or soup. I should be making soup today, but I went to bed with a sore throat and today, my whole head is on fire. The cowboy thinks I've been "going and going" too much and need to rest. I'll try.

Warm weather here, up to 14º Celsius. The snow is disappearing quickly and there are a few green shoots showing here and there.

~Ann~

My life on the ranch ... http://a-thousandhills.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2016 :  10:28:25 AM  Show Profile
Ann -- I will say it again -- your Cowboy sounds like a keeper!

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2016 :  4:37:44 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

The home health agency here might send a different person every time. They are experienced in dementia. Our friend whom we took care of lost all of the veneer that kept her form saying mean things she would have been appalled to have come out of her mouth had she been in her right mind. but, your mother seems to have not had that wall to begin with. Hugs to you dear Iris sister. You are on a hard path. I am glad you do not live next door or even in the same town. Is that callous?

I am glad that your feet and legs are not so sore. Have you tried warm, wet cloths on the parts that hurt?

Ann I think the cowboy is right. I hope you feel you can take a rest soon from the tasks of the dead. I have seen snowdrops up and blooming in people's yards. Some of the trees have blossomed already.
Do you have any pictures of your projects you were working on?

Today was mostly sunny. Temperatures rose almost to 50 F. The wind was light so it was very pleasant outside. I did dsC's school work with him most of the day.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2016 :  06:00:48 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the support, Holly. It is tough. And you are SO right -- Mother has always said mean things, but she used to only say them privately -- now she gets it right out there! I think most people are pretty forgiving, since it's obvious that she has dementia, but it is still hurtful to the people she attacks personally.

We are seeing more and more flowering trees and shrubs around here, for sure, but we are further south, of course. Even just going down into Maryland a ways always makes a big difference in what is blooming and what is not.

This morning we are having a big software "upgrade." I hope that I don't have to be retrained completely when they're done! ha ha ha We have a dealership management package that has all our inventory, financing, amortizations, invoicing, checking accounts, real-time accounting -- everything in one package. It is a wonderful system and I use it constantly. I think the main thing they are doing is changing the platform that supports it, but I will have to wait and see. They are saying that they only need to be in my system for an hour this morning, so I hope that's it. Tomorrow is first of the month, and that is always such a busy time.

In the meantime, I should be able to work on my QuickBooks -- I have a book that the instructor recommended, and in between lessons I have been working my way through it, just trying things out in the program while I read through and making some notes. I am already getting people asking me to come in and set their businesses up on QuickBooks for them. I am not ready to commit to that yet, but that would actually be kind of ideal work -- I wouldn't have to do their actual bookkeeping, just set the system up for them and train them to use it. We'll see.

Had a good walk this morning. For some reason I can't seem to send pix from my cellphone to my computer anymore -- I took a picture of a really pretty sidewalk planting that I was trying to share -- rats! I will futz with it some more and see.

Happy Thursday to all of you!

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2016 :  08:09:59 AM  Show Profile
Dear Ladies,

I have been busy, busy, busy. This whole week school it out so my days are clear but I have been out every night for one thing and another.

I am trying to do an afghan for a woman at school who had a baby boy. The pattern is a knit ripple and it just doesn't work. I've been to two knitting groups and neither of them could give me much insight. I will go to a very good knit shop this weekend to seek more help. Here's the deal: I cast on my stitches and do the first pattern row. So far so good - everything matches up. When I do the 2nd row, I end up with an extra stitch. Frustrating!

I just got a call from a past lover of mine. He will be giving a talk on moral theory at the University of Minnesota tonight. He will be here in 90 minutes to visit and go to lunch. Last time he was here he dropped me off at the game store and wanted to kiss, so I did that then he copped a feel. I will be in public as much as possible with him today. I am also planning to tell him that I feel uncomfortable when he does that.

Lowell has been home for the past couple days because his van is being worked on. He had an accident which was totally his fault and filed an insurance claim. The insurance company did an inspection of his vehicle and sent him a check for $900. He only had a small dent which he didn't think necessary to fix. The shop told him he needed some power steering and bearing work done. He didn't think it was ethical to use the money for a repair that had nothing to do with the accident. After he got a quote of $2400, he changed his mind. Silly guy!

It is cold and rainy today as it was yesterday. The air tastes distinctly of winter. I've been waiting for a dry day to burn some of the old vegetation from the yard and garden. I looked in the fire pan and found some very nice clean ashes. I know that ashes can be used to make soap and I am considering collecting the ashes and using them for that. Anyone have any insight on this?

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2016 :  09:37:00 AM  Show Profile
Well, 50/50 is not bad. The installation of the software upgrade went just fine on my computer. There is very little difference in the way it looks from the original -- it was just the supporting platform that changed. However, when I went to show His Dudeness how to get to the new program on HIS computer, there was a serious problem. No icon for the new program. So I called IT and sat with the tech for a while. He discovered that the reason it had not installed on Dude's computer was that there were over 160 Windows updates that had never been done on his computer, so the new program could not interface. Sigh. So all morning I have had it trying to download allllllllll those updates. It is still nowhere near ready.

In the meantime, Dude has been gone, so it didn't bother him, but had me running back and forth between the two offices/computers/phones. An older gentleman then wandered in and wanted to "try out" every single car on our lot. He would sit in one for a while and run the engine. Then he'd come back in and ask for the key to the next one in line and do the same there. Lather, rinse, repeat. I finally asked him what he was looking for. "Oh, I don't know...just something to ride around in....I'm just starting to look." So frustrating some days. And that's about when His Dudeness called and wanted to know what my mechanic wanted for lunch. I told him I was just a little bit busy and he might want to call the mechanic himself.

Hopefully those silly updates will download before the end of the day so we can get the new program package installed. I don't want to sleep over! ha ha ha ha

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page

bramblerose
True Blue Farmgirl

77 Posts

Canada
77 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2016 :  10:20:57 AM  Show Profile
Marilyn, he IS a keeper. A very wonderful man, though a bit set in his cowboy, old-fashioned ways at times. That can be a good and a bad thing... he believes in gentlemanly, kindly ways, but also a little stubborn sometimes.

I got one of the forms I sent away returned to me, telling me that the number was "invalid." Turns out ONE number on the account was wrong. I could easily change that 3 to an 8, and I sent it off again. I DREAD this happening, because WHERE in the world would the RIGHT number be if it hadn't just been a little typo I made?

I have pictures of my projects I could share, but have no idea how to do that. I know it involves uploading photos to another site, but... ??? Anyone give me the easy-peasy version of what to do?

We are 17 degrees Celsius today, which is extraordinarily warm for HERE, for MARCH. Our normal temp for this time of year is 6 degrees Celsius. I'll try to get with the program and convert to Fahrenheit for you.

~Ann~

My life on the ranch ... http://a-thousandhills.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2016 :  12:10:58 PM  Show Profile
This is what I have been working on lately. It will be a bedspread which will cover the top and go down the sides. It is made of all the scrap yarn I have gotten from Ravelry and Mary Jane's.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2016 :  5:40:20 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

If you go to the All Forums screen of MJF and scroll all the way to the bottom there are two chatrooms. Technical support and practice area. If you post in Tech support Brian will help you figure out what you need to do. I practiced in the practice area the first few times to make sure I got it right.
Then on this posting area on my machine on the upper left hand edge of this block I am typing in there is a little icon that is the photo uploading button. Hope this helps.

I think I remember that your Dad is sick with cancer? Marilyn. I wonder if he is trying to live long enough so your mother would die first. hugs to you.

I guess the Dude was avoiding all the downloads and now it has bit you in the behind. Loading the Quiick books for other people would be a good way to earn some travel money. I guess you would need to have specifications for the systems before you even started. It would be nasty to get to a business and find out that the system was too old to handle the program or had to many downloads waiting to make your time efficient.

That is a bright and cheery afghan, Marie. The design is light years more clever than the one I am working on. Ex lovers sure can take advantage of a person. smack him a good one if he tries again.

Maybe Dust Bunnies and Angels for your Etsy site Bunny then it could have play clothes and dress up clothes as well. Oh, when I thought up the name I forgot is was yours as well. hahaha

I boiled maple sap all day today. In the morning I worked on digging out the cow's stall that was deep with manure that had been frozen all winter. dFdB was a big help pulling the sleds of poo out to the pile.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 408 Gathered Up: Previous Topic Over 50 Farmgirls Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page