doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2015 :  11:09:41 AM  Show Profile
Speaking of humor, this came up on my Facebook page today of all days --serendipity?

Synchronicity.

Edited by - doll58maker on Dec 20 2015 1:51:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

bramblerose
True Blue Farmgirl

77 Posts

Canada
77 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2015 :  11:26:57 AM  Show Profile
Happy Last Sunday before Christmas!

We are going on a sleigh ride this afternoon, with a potluck supper afterwards. I have my long johns on, my snow pants and Baffin boots ready! (A goodie tray of Christmas treats and a pot of baked beans to take with us.) I am always amazed by the baked beans... I make it for every staff dinner, branding supper, and potluck, and it DISAPPEARS. I swear people fight over who gets to lick the pot!

Holly... A "false wall" is simply a partition around the furnace, which is in the master walk-in closet. It just separates the mechanical look of a furnace in the closet, while remaining portable enough to remove for maintenance / servicing the furnace. We made it of pine bead-board plywood to keep with the rustic woodsy atmosphere of the house. (Yet it doesn't look too woodsy, at least not to us.)

We had a little bit of new snow on Friday, and it got very cold, but it's a little warmer today, with a shy sun.

"Come on, it's lovely weather
For a sleigh ride together with you..."

~Ann~

My life on the ranch ... http://a-thousandhills.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2015 :  1:55:45 PM  Show Profile
Oh, I thought it was a wall to hide a safe. I got tired of dealing with a safe deposit box so we installed a hidden one.

Ann please share your baked bean recipe. My DH hates all beans and I love them. Maybe your recipe would convert him.

I went on a sleigh ride once in Aspen on a Christmas ski trip. Never been so cold in my life. Have fun!

Edited by - doll58maker on Dec 20 2015 1:57:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2015 :  3:28:30 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

We had a little bit of snow overnight. It makes the ground look so clean. It was 22 F when we woke up. That is the coldest it has been this season. By one o'clock it was 48 F but the snow is still here. Now it is in the twenties again. We did see a bit of the sun shine.

I worked on my hooked rug kit and I took a nap this afternoon. That is the summation of my day.
Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2015 :  4:56:19 PM  Show Profile
I had a dream last night that I went outside and there was snow on the ground. Then I woke up, and nothing.
G-that's a cute cartoon. I sent two cards to my nephews, who will turn sixteen on Dec. 22--one card was a picture od Frosty the Snowman holding his hands under a blow dryer, and they were melting. The other was Rudolph sitting in a chair with a rifle propped against the wall and the heads of the other twelve reindeer mounted on the wall--it says: All of the other reindeer USED to laugh and call him names.
Ann--a sleigh ride sounds like fun.
Holly--you must have gotten the snow I dreamed about.
We're supposed to have a mild Christmas with temps. in the 50's--not fair.
Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2015 :  6:34:49 PM  Show Profile
These short dark days make me spend too much time on Pinterest. This one is for Marilyn.

Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2015 :  7:47:26 PM  Show Profile
That's cute--just don't try taking it on a plane. And I must be getting senile--there are only eight reindeer, not twelve. I just made a mixture of ground ginger, brown sugar and ghee (clarified butter). I'm supposed to take a small dose of this each morning for the next ten days. It's an Ayurvedic method to balance your digestive system. This is the time of year when I eat too many sweets and fatty foods so I need to do something to counteract the negative effects. I also heard a cute Christmas joke: If Mary is the mother of Jesus, and Jesus is the Lamb of God, did Mary have a little lamb? I told it to a co-worker and she said:"That's baaaaad."
Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2015 :  09:24:57 AM  Show Profile
Fergus Falls had gotten 8 inches of snow and still had a covering which looked pretty nice. <sigh> Snow is predicted for Christmas with temperatures in the mid-30's so it's going to be a little sloppy. We were just invited to Brian's (Lowell's brother) girlfriend's place. He cautioned that her mother will be there. I haven't met her and if she is a handful, I can distract her with some witty conversation.

I have two weeks entirely free. Woo Hoo! <dancing around in my underwear> I will be working on after-Christmas gifts and UFO's. Made take a nap or two with the dogs.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2015 :  3:58:32 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

It sounds like the snow is leaving us. We have a window that sticks out in the kitchen and when the water drips off the roof it hits the top of the window. At supper I heard it for the first time today. Oh, well. There goes our white Christmas. We did see the sun at sunset time.

For those of you who do not know the following people please bear with me. I had a card from Nancy in Florida. It was a sock monkey (she collects) in hiking boots and a winter hat with its tongue stuck to a cold metal pipe. on the inside it said, theathons greetings.
I have a card from Darlys as well. She and her dh are selling the house in Oakhurst (it is listed on Zillow) and are moving to SE Tucson in the spring. She will be visiting the pool boys in Hawaii in February. She is busy and well. I keep nudging her to come back to the board. Maybe in the spring after she is moved.

Marie I bet a UTube movie would be a million hits in no time of your dance.

Cindy I hope it tastes good.

G I think you have too much time on your hands. hahaha

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2015 :  4:41:50 PM  Show Profile
Tonight is the Winter Solstice! Yea! Ready for longer days.

Two weeks with nothing to do sounds wonderful. For some reason I always seem to have a long list. We are going to DD for Christmas Eve only. Then drive back home. we will probably go to the movies on Christmas Day. B wants to see Star Wars. Of course. I want to see Brooklyn.

Edited by - doll58maker on Feb 10 2016 5:53:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2015 :  4:45:22 PM  Show Profile
Hi, holly, you posted while I was writing. You are right--I'm spending way too much time with iPad when there is so much I should be doing. Don't know why I'm so tired.
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2015 :  5:11:20 PM  Show Profile
Gypsy, good home remedy for UTI is cranberry juice. Get it as natural as possible. The pain in the back and abdomen may mean it has spread to the bladder or kidneys. If that is the case, you will need serious antibiotics. Push the cranberry juice.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2015 :  6:03:25 PM  Show Profile
G, another good remedy is a mug of hot water ( heat in the microwave), one or two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar (organic with the mother) and a spoonful of honey. Drink it a few times a day. Heat the hot water first and then add the vinigar and honey. It got me over my last one.

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com
Handmade stuff http://www.curiousorangecat.etsy.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2015 :  6:08:27 PM  Show Profile
You want Bragg organic unfiltered raw apple cider vinegar. Any health food store or even the grocery store should have it. I get it at my regular grocery store.

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2015 :  8:30:18 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, I'll follow both these suggestions. I keep braggs organic vinegar. And raw honey-- I'll start that tonight and get the cranberry juice first thing tomorrow.
Thank you thank you--I don't want to take antibiotics.
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2015 :  8:35:32 PM  Show Profile
G, make sure the cranberry juice doesn't have sugar. Sugar makes the uti worse. (Feeds the bad bacteria.) You can dilute it in a glass of water. Strong as you can deal with it.

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2015 :  11:11:00 PM  Show Profile
Holly--it really doesn't taste that bad. It has a strong gingery taste. I think the purpose of it is to stoke the digestive fires. You're supposed to eat an Ayurvedic diet as well, but hey, it's the holidays....
I have an issue with my sacroiliac joint being out of whack. It hurts. I've been doing some yoga exercises to help it. They've hired a new person to replace me but he won't start till January. I need to make sure my back is able to do the lifting required in the storeroom.
I bought a cute pendant necklace--it has a little bottle of "snowballs", a little carrot and two lumps of "coal". And a magician's hat. It's supposed to be an unassembled snowman.
I finally got on Facebook but I'm not impressed. I really like Tumblr. It's more geared to writers and creative types. I find a lot of inspiration there.
Happy Winter solstice.
Cindy

Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2015 :  05:58:46 AM  Show Profile
Happy Tuesday, Everyone. Back at my desk -- here a little early today. His Dudeness came to town early for a dental appointment so I drove myself in. It is raining pretty heavily, so I am foregoing my walk. I did stop uptown on the way in and get my "treat" coffee. Daughter is coming in at lunchtime and we will have a little Christmas lunch. So much going on this last week before holiday -- makes me crazy trying to get everything done. Dude's kids are coming over for Christmas Eve dinner and mine are coming over for Christmas Day brunch. Maybe when we have the downstairs finished there will be room to have everyone at one time!!!

I was reading through the posts above -- I love the knitting bag and yes, getting it through airport security might be tricky! I always knit when I fly and have never had an issue. I just don't bring scissors. My daughter had a bumper sticker that said that. It's actually true -- ha ha ha. She is coming by today and we will have our Christmas lunch. I know she is exhausted -- she is in that place in life where you do ALL THE THINGS for Christmas. I am so glad that Dude and I are so low-key.

G -- Hope your infection clears up soon. I have never (knock wood) had one. And I'm with you about the books, chocolate and especially the younger men -- there are more and more of them all the time -- isn't that odd?

We are still having warm and rain. My granddaughter out in Washington posted a picture on facebook of herself and her twin boys out walking in the snow last night before bedtime. Everything's upside down! We are supposed to hit the high 70s for Christmas Eve!!!

Dude just came in. Glad they finished the work so quickly. He is growling -- I had better get to work. ha ha ha ha

Farmgirl #6318
"Where there's a will -- there's probably a family fight."
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2015 :  07:20:46 AM  Show Profile
I think my head is broken. Instead of season-appropriate carols, I am whistling some Civil War marching song.....

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2015 :  07:59:34 AM  Show Profile
We have snow! Just enough to cover the ground. Mitzi is so cute in the snow. When she sniffs around, she gets a dot of snow on the tip of her nose.

Lowell had a bad day yesterday. He was delivering a pallet of large drums of a paper coating liquid. It was wrapped up in plastic and looked stable. He saw his turn and had to brake suddenly to make it. One of the drums pitched forward and spilled all over the back of the van. That drum was spoiled and he had to call someone to clean the stuff out of his van. Now he will probably have to pay for the spoiled cargo and the cleaning service. He lost some stuff in the van also - ice scrapers and stuff like that. He is really sick of this job.

I will be staying over at Annette's place on Christmas Eve. We will have a slumber party with pizza and bad movies. Can't wait.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

bramblerose
True Blue Farmgirl

77 Posts

Canada
77 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2015 :  08:10:58 AM  Show Profile
Gypsy, (Is that correct?) how are you feeling today?

I didn't have my first UTI until I was in my 50's and thought I would die. The last time, I even became "delirious," and I'm still looking for a "lost toy" that I am INSISTENT came with my granddaughter's Christmas gift. I KNOW what I KNOW.

The last two UTI's arrived on Christmas Day, after two weeks of preg-testing in -40º weather, long hours of working in the barn, avoiding undressing to use the "facilities," either the outhouse, an empty stall, or the long walk back to the house. So, I'd avoid drinking, so I could avoid undressing, and avoid the whole inconvenience. Rewarded with UTI's. The doctor said DON'T. DO. THAT. AGAIN.

What I did at first pain... glass of water with a tsp of baking soda. Then honey cinnamon tea. (Honey to taste, tsp of cinnamon, in hot water). Ibuprofen. Heating pad. Cozy movie.

I DO follow up with a dr visit. It's not worth messing around with kidneys and bladder issues that can escalate very quickly.

Prevention is definitely key... lots of fluids and relieving oneself in a timely manner.

~Ann~

Go to Top of Page

bramblerose
True Blue Farmgirl

77 Posts

Canada
77 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2015 :  08:37:37 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by doll58maker

Ann please share your baked bean recipe. My DH hates all beans and I love them. Maybe your recipe would convert him.

I went on a sleigh ride once in Aspen on a Christmas ski trip. Never been so cold in my life. Have fun!

It was actually quite pleasant and warm, but I know that's relative. The wind wasn't blowing, the sun was shining.

The bean recipe. Again, I came home with an empty dish. When I went back to the dining room to retrieve the dish, a bunch of people descended on me asking if I made the beans, WHAT did I do to them, could they have the recipe. Even the men asked!

You can use "homemade" beans, if you wish, just make them how you usually do, then doctor them.

I use canned beans, and for this, even your favourite "cheap" canned beans will work great. I use Heinz, but only because that's what I buy for the Cowboy to eat with his mashed potatoes.

3 14oz cans beans
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp ground mustard
6 strips bacon
1/2 cup ketchup

Place half of the beans in a casserole dish. Mix the brown sugar and ground mustard together, and sprinkle half of the mixture over the beans. Don't stir. Spread the other half of the beans over the brown sugar. Sprinkle with remaining brown sugar mixture. (Don't stir.) Lay the bacon over the brown sugar and top with the ketchup. (I just drizzle it over, right out of the bottle, guess-timating 1/2 cup.)

Bake for 2.5 hours or so, at 325º.

You can prep this the day before, or even prep it and freeze it. Thaw before baking.

You can also add some sauted onions, sauted red peppers... a dab of molasses mixed into the beans.

~Ann~

Edited by - bramblerose on Dec 22 2015 08:40:34 AM
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2015 :  12:34:27 PM  Show Profile
I am very proud of my dad -- he recently got a phone with a full keypad so that he can see to text. He thought it would be useful while they were traveling over the Christmas holiday. He plays some solitaire on the computer, but he doesn't do e-mail anymore. He's 84 and does a pretty good job of using technology, but is not in love with it. My mother, on the other hand, has some serious memory and cognitive issues going on, so she usually can't figure out how to answer her phone when it rings, and texting would be out of the question. I try to alternate -- call Daddy one week and Mother the next, but she generally can't answer before it goes to message, so I go ahead and dial Daddy's number and I end up talking to both of them anyway. Right now they are in Indiana visiting Daddy's only living sibling and we are going to fly over there for a few days after Christmas. So this morning, I texted to Daddy's phone -- Good morning, Daddy. I am going to be coming to see you in only 6 days! I got a text back -- Your mother says she is here, too. Sigh. I can't win.

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2015 :  1:20:26 PM  Show Profile
Marilyn, that's irritating. maybe you should text your mom first so you can say that she had ignored your text! Or take the high road. I've heard of the High Road, not sure I know how to get there some times. Maybe I should consult GPS.
mar
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2015 :  1:24:50 PM  Show Profile
G, how's the UTI. It is not something to fool around with. When my mom got one, our first indication was that she kind of flipped out. She wanted to fire everyone. Became very irritable. It can affect you mentally quite noticeably. I do hope you are more comfortable.

Marie, glad you got some snow.

Holly, Darlys didn't stay in Oakhurst very long... Glad to have the update. The card sounded very cute.

I have never been stopped with knitting, including short scissors, while boarding a plane. I just look trustworthy! ;-)

mar
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 408 Gathered Up: Previous Topic Over 50 Farmgirls Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page