True Blue Farmgirl

90 Posts

Anne
Coopersburg Pa
USA
90 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2013 :  12:36:05 PM  Show Profile
Good afternoon ladies,

I am new to the over 50 Farmgirls. I am way into my 50's but love the idea of women my age chatting.

Thanks for this connection.

Anne

" A dog's tail never lies "
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2013 :  1:00:24 PM  Show Profile
Good afternoon,

Mar you and I must have posted about the same time. I am sorry that Mollie is not longer with you. I hope the ground was thawed enough to bury her. We have started having ours cremated especially in the winter.
Keep talking about Mollie and telling her stories and she will live on.

Anne welcome to the forum Sit down and stay a while and chat. If you read our posts most subjects are open and welcome.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2013 :  3:08:23 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Holly. We had the foresight to prepare her spot in "Sara's Circle" before the freeze. Mollie was 13, kinda old for a large dog. We had our doubts that she was going to last through winter ...

Anne, welcome. We are lots of different ages and stages of life. We usually are pretty cheerful and supportive. Sometimes one of us has a run of problems and everyone sends good thoughts, crazy ideas, sound advice, whatever we can do. We certainly look forward to hearing from you often. You will get to know us quickly, although at first you might think you joined in too late to be considered "one" of us. Don't give up. You already are one of us and we are so memorable that you will know us all very soon.
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2013 :  4:36:51 PM  Show Profile
Marianne, I am so sorry to hear about Molly. Even though you were prepared for her burial, it is still so hard, as they are part of the family also. Sending you a big hug!!!!
Welcome, Anne. I am sure you will fit right in with us in no time. We are sisters to the end!!!
Bunny, love that jacket!!!!! You sure have talent and such a good eye for style.
Holly, we are pretty far north, even though they call us the mid west. They cancelled schools again yesterday, we had rain, then snow and it was so slippery, and what a mess!!! I had a dr. appointment at 8 yesterday morning. I was going to cancel, but decided to try it. I made it there and back, but the roads were so bad. I did go to work, by the time I got off work, it was cleared up. Then we had snow last night and everything turned back to ice. More flurries now. We are not getting much snow, but it is the ice that is scary. With my hips, I am so afraid of doing the splits and having my hips pop out of place.
It has been slow at work because of the weather, so I am getting some knitting done. Got 2 more pairs of slippers made. I hope I can get things done at home next week. Things are starting to pile up here.
Have a great evening,

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2013 :  7:38:52 PM  Show Profile
Oh Marianne, I'm so sorry about Mollie. Glad it was quick. It is so sad when they suffer.
I still miss my Scooby and Dice.

Holly, sounds like your boys are having a time. I think about what they might have been subject to in Texas. You are allowing them to use their imaginations. That is the most important thing......and cleaning up afterwards of course.

Today was good at work . I got pretty tired though. I didn't sleep well last night and I just got to the point where everything go a little over my head.

Big welcome to Anne. So nice to get new members. This is a wonderful group of amazing women. I hope you visit often.

Well, I'm starving. Need to do something about dinner. Later all.

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com
Handmade stuff http://www.etsy.com/shop/CuriousOrangeCat?ref=ss_profile

Fabric website: www.bunnyroseco.etsy.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

Cooknnana
True Blue Farmgirl

213 Posts

Kathryn
Chandler OK
USA
213 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2013 :  07:27:47 AM  Show Profile
Bunny! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that jacket! You should sell it on etsy or something...oh wait, you are. lol Bigger would definitely be better; for those of us that are more, shall we say, rounded...? I like to make over clothes like that too, in fact, I only have a couple things left to re-make before I'm out. My problem is making the trips to the thrift stores; they always seemed to be closed when I'm not at the office. Garage sales should be starting soon, so that will help; it's much easier to stop on my way home from the office on Saturdays then to make a trip to the thrift store. The one I'm working on now is a dress for my youngest GD; I sure hope I finish it before she out grows the thing. lol : /

Holly, you don't have to say anything to Ravenne's mother. Just hold her and cry with her' that's the best medicine, in my book. I was never allowed to cry when I was a child and when my little brother was murdered, I didn't want or need people's platitudes; words are just that, words. There's a time for words and that time will come, but for me, I needed someone I could be myself with and I wanted that person to help me cry and grieve; I never got that. God intervened and used a lovely lady to bring me through the grieving process...25 years later. Be that person for her, Holly, now; be the person she doesn't have to be strong for; the person who she show her grief with.

Marianne, some of the stiffness is, yes, from the cleaning out process, but some of it is the constantly changing pressure; every time there is a shift in the weather patterns, even just a slight one, I feel more stiff and sore. It's been changing a lot lately. Rain last weekend and not even making it to the forties, sunny today and it's supposed to be in the low to mid sixties; before the week is out it supposed to be about eighty; not to mention the shifts in between. Ugh! I wouldn't mind it if my body wouldn't scream at me every time.

I'm so sorry about your little friend. Well, she wasn't exactly little was she; Labradors are not small by any means. I know you will miss her.

Anne, welcome! Welcome! Don't be afraid; just jump right in. We aren't too intimidating, although...some of us do have some of the over achiever in us...not me, of course, I gave that up a long time ago, but some of us... ;D

Jan, you be careful on that ice; broken bones are definitely no fun. Although...seeing you do the splits might be kind of fun to see...yes, that is my sick sense of humor, but while seeing you do the splits would be rather comical, seeing you hurt would not be, so watch yourself, okay?

Well, if something doesn't change I will be celebrating Passover alone this year...waaaaaa; poor pitiful me. : /

Anyway, it's been nice chatting, but I better be doing some work while at work, huh? ;)
Have a great day, my friends! That's an order, now, don't you know?

Love and Hugs,
Kathryn

If there is a will, there's a way; find your way!

Sister #3282
Go to Top of Page

chickensforme
True Blue Farmgirl

90 Posts

Anne
Coopersburg Pa
USA
90 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2013 :  7:14:40 PM  Show Profile
Marianne,

I hope you find comfort in this.

HEAVEN'S DOGGIE-DOOR

My best friend closed his eyes last night,as his head was in my hand. The doctor said he was in pain, and it was hard for him to stand.

Many thoughts ran through my head, as I cradled him in my arms.
I thought about his puppy years, and Oh....his many charms.

Today, there was no gentle nudge with an intense " I love you, " gaze, only a heart that's filled with tears remembering our joy-filled days.

But an Angel just appeared to me and he said, " You should cry no more, God loves our canine friends, He's installed a doggie-door!!!!

Anne

"A dog's tail never lies"
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2013 :  7:29:45 PM  Show Profile
Just a quick hello everybody. I am doing fine just very busy and not much alone time. I am greeting you from Lubbock Texas to iChat where we have stopped over to see the Buddy Holly stuff since we were passing so near
Tomorrow another leg of the journey to Az.
Just briefly browsed over the posts--Marianne so, so sorry aBout Mollie. I still remember the grief of losing a beloved pet years Go. I can not believe how much I am missing my fur babies.
More later. On Monday B has to go bac k to work so I will have more time

hugs to all my sistas
Gypsy #3534
Go to Top of Page

Oggie
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Ginny
Machias Maine
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2013 :  7:42:01 PM  Show Profile
Holly, I am so sorry to hear about Ravenne. She is a beautiful girl and it's always so sad to hear of a young person taking their own life. When you see her Mother, just walk over to her and give her a BIG HUG. No need to talk but hugs are a must. And be sure and give Kethry lots of them too. Let her know you are there for her when she wants to talk about it.

Thanks for the WOOF info, I will look into it.

Kathryn, I am sorry you had to give up your books! I never had books as a child, we got them from the library or school, but I know they were everything to my dd and we still have them in cedar chests in our attic. Books were her toys and we always made sure she had plenty. By 3rd grade she was reading at a college level and she's a great writer because of it.

Bunny - I love your jacket! Too bad I can't wear a small! You & Kathy do great work! And look, a week or two into the job now and you feel comfortable! You need more confidence in yourself! Guess your paper was great too at "only 16 pages", lol!

Marianne, I am so sorry to hear about your Molly! And I'm sure your DD will be devastated too. I remember having to tell mine when her cat of 16 years died. That cat (Arty) was her baby. They grew up together. It's so heartbreaking to lose a furry family member. I miss our bunny Oggie still, along with Arty!

I love your way with words. "...we are so memorable..."! You hit the nail on the head girl!

It poured here all last night and today. Talk about MUD! Yuck! Like Janet, I'm sick of winter! And Janet - stay inside and make yourself a picnic on the livingroom floor! It's helped me in the past. Also, are you taking Vitamin D 5000 mg a day? All northern girls need to.

Welcome Anne! Jump right in, the more, the merrier! For starters, where is Coopersburg, PA? I have to say, I notice PA sure does have a lot of towns with "burg" at the end. Any reason why? I just finished a book by a woman in Chambersburg. She led a fascinating life!

Kathryn - I have to agree with you that when I read Janet's fear of doing the splits I laughed at the image, but of course, I wouldn't want her hurt either. Too bad we can't be like cartoons and "bounce" back!

So David decided he could find more stress for me. He had me take him to the dentist today so they could pull 5 TEETH! He's getting a complete upper denture and decided why not go without teeth while he's home in a sling. So now I get to worry about a diabetic on a soft and liquid diet for a couple of weeks. I tell you girls, he's worse than a child! Like I don't have enough to do already!

And on that note, I'm off to bed. Work comes early for me and Fred (my rooster) really hates when I'm not out at his coop on time!

Ginny
Farmgirl #2343
www.thedewhopinn.com
www.etsy.com/shop/cybertiques
www.etsy.com/shop/thedewhopinn

"I always have a wonderful time, wherever I am, whomever I'm with."
"Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it." Both by Elwood P. Dowd (Jimmy Stewart) in the Movie Harvey
Go to Top of Page

Oggie
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Ginny
Machias Maine
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2013 :  7:53:17 PM  Show Profile
I guess Anne and I were typing at the same time. Anne, I love that poem! I hope God's installed a cat and rabbit door too!

BTW, where is Daryls and Gypsy? Is B one of the pool boys Gypsy smuggled home from Hawaii last year? And is Nancy well yet? I'm glad to see Kathy is back. How's your arm doing? And Thelma seems to have vanished along with Penny, Patty, Dianne, Chris, Patsy, Karen, Judith, Debbie, Mel, Linda, just to name a few. Am I missing anyone else??? Probably, so where are all of you ladies????

Ginny
Farmgirl #2343
www.thedewhopinn.com
www.etsy.com/shop/cybertiques
www.etsy.com/shop/thedewhopinn

"I always have a wonderful time, wherever I am, whomever I'm with."
"Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it." Both by Elwood P. Dowd (Jimmy Stewart) in the Movie Harvey
Go to Top of Page

Cooknnana
True Blue Farmgirl

213 Posts

Kathryn
Chandler OK
USA
213 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2013 :  10:14:15 AM  Show Profile
Ginny, I was taking a flight,on my rented albatross, and as I was flying over some remotes islands in the south pacific I spotted them; all of them...together. they were scantily dressed, drinking some of that special tea, and with several gentleman friends hanging all over them...I don't think they saw me, but hah! They looked like they were have quite the time and I'm wondering why they didn't invite the rest of us...hmmm?

Love and Hugs,
Kathryn

If there is a will, there's a way; find your way!

Sister #3282
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2013 :  4:14:34 PM  Show Profile
Anne, wonderful poem, it was very appreciated! We are getting to a new normal with one less heart beating in the house ... the other two pooches were a bit bewildered, but they are adapting. Mollie was lead barker, to say the least. So, today when two deer were grazing by the pool, Sammie jumped up, barked twice, I told her, "Good girl, now hush," and Gracie looked over and figured everything was over with, "Why get up?" So, I guess the turkeys visits will be given less fanfare, too. I know "Dad" getting home was a very quiet event. And dh really noticed. He even mentioned that it was the first time he had driven up to this house without a Mollie greeting. I just can't convey the enthusiasm in a Mollie greeting - head bobbing and body wiggling (less so as she became stiffer, but still, plenty of wiggle) and we always had to warn people to watch out for her tail. She could bruise you with her tail. But, as I said, we are adapting. I can play fetch with Sammie without having to out of sight of the house so Mollie didn't want to join in (and hurt herself). So we are trying to embrace our new "freedoms" and honor Mol's memory. Thanks for everyone's compassion and ears. It helps tremendously.

Today, we had a friend over for lunch. He is still visiting with dh in his office. I am going to watch some junk tv in a minute. You gals always come first!

B, isn't from the South Pacific ... I believe Darlys special ordered him. Some sort of Darlys magic made a perfect gentleman appear in Gypsy's life. I believe Darlys had the Canadian Mounties deliver him to her. Darlys has the touch to make such things happen. It is quite mysterious, but it is best not to question the how ...

Holly, how are things? You have had a lot of distress to deal with lately. I hope you are in for a fairly calm spring. The end of winter has been rough. I think a waterproof bathroom is the most brilliant idea ever. I turned over the cleaning of the bathroom to our son earlier rather than later once some of the "mess" seemed unnecessary!

Gypsy, your check in was appreciated. Better get back soon or who knows what other stories I will come up with. Or maybe Darlys is the one who better get back on the forum to protect herself from too many sisterly requests!!

Bunny, how ya faring with mom lately? Just talked with MIL and it made me remind myself I am not alone on this journey! So, I thought I would check in with you.
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2013 :  5:14:39 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

We had beautiful warm weather on the weekend. Then a day and a night of rain and now it is freezing. The dirt roads are very very rutty. I would like to take my camera down and take pictures of the cars bouncing through them.

Today I took C and Ross for a walk. G chose to stay and sled. The top of the snow is a thick crust. some of it held me but some of it I fell through repeatedly. I finally sat down on my rear and slid down the hills and over the branches. Kind of fun.

Our friend who is living with dementia will soon be on her way through the door. The hospice nurse says 24 hours at the most. To say we will miss her is true but we have missed her for a long long time now. I am glad that her confusion and anger at her decline will be over. I am working on her obit. I want to do her justice. I think an obit should be written so people who did not know a person wishes they had and people who knew them are glad that they did.

Ravenne's memorial will be this weekend. Kethry talked to her therapist about going or not. He told her as long as she sent a card and talked to the relatives at some time it was not necessary to go. It is going to be held at Norwich University in Plumley Aud. which will hold 1500 people. I guess they are expecting a big crowd. The auditorium is probably 45 minute drive from their house.

I have learned as the years have progressed that worrying does me little good because by the time I have worked myself up in a lather whatever worried me is over. I have also learned that life's upsets come in cycles and then the waves calm. I am looking forward to the waves calming.

I agree Darly is magic.

I am glad to hear from Gypsy. I hope B has a place for you to do crafts while he is working.

Kathryn we will do Seder next weekend. We invite a slew of people over for the evening. Many of them are spiritual but not religious. We all have a good time. Call some people up so you will not be alone. Do a potluck it could be fun. You do not even have to have table space because free people recline to eat.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2013 :  7:11:12 PM  Show Profile
Marianne, my heart breaks for you missing Mollie. I had Scooby. 145 lbs of love that would walk out from behind the house to greet me when I got home. I know what you mean about it being different when DH gets home.

Mom is doing fine. Not much drama right now thankfully. But there are days I just want to go back home to California. I miss my kids. They are going on about their lives without me. I'm the type of mom that wants to live down the street. My oldest use to come up every weekend to see me. I would cook his favorite meals and we would watch trash TV together. There are days I feel like I'm being punished for the decisions I have made. But they wouldn't have been bad except for events beyond my control. I didn't screw up the economy. But I'm sure paying for it.

My youngest is turning 21 this Saturday and I'm not there to celebrate with him. I took my oldest to Reno for his 21 birthday. It kills me I can't do anything for either of them right now. I was able to at least send him some money for his birthday. I sold a baby quilt on my Etsy site. He will be surprised for sure.

I believe Darly's magic has something to do with a magic frog. They told me when I was ready Darlys would do her Voodoo and send me my own magic frog that would help me find Mr. Perfect. I'm not ready yet for sure!

Holly, so much on your plate! I know you will write an awesome Obit for your friend. I'm glad Kethry talked to someone about her worries and feelings regarding her friend. It does take a toll on everyone.

Well, not much else going on. I have finals next week. All 4 of them on the same day. I'll be working during spring break and then back to school with work at both the library and the accounting firm fitted in. I'll probably be doing most of my homework on the weekends.

later all. Spring is almost here. Hang in there!

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2013 :  7:28:41 PM  Show Profile
Oh Lordy! What happens when I turn my back for a few! The board (or shall I say "bored") start stirring things up.

Welcome, Anne! You have just witnessed a small sample of some of the fabrication that goes on here. Marianne!!! I say!!! Okay, I had just a teeny, tiny bit of fairy dust that I blew Gypsy's way. Actually, it was a sparkly frog I sent - with instructions to turn into a prince. Well, Gypsy adored the frog and willingly opened her spirit and soul to welcome a prince ... and -- well --- white horses and all that jazz. She actually wound up with a Knight! All I did then was enhance the story and encourage the darling little flirt. What more can I say without diluting the "majik?" Canadian Mounties, tho? I do so very much wish I'd thought of that!

Holly, my heart is with you and yours. Kethry has a lot to sort through. She has a young tenderness that will leave her raw and rough for a while. While there is no understanding - eventually acceptance will make it's way into her psyche and the pain will ease a bit. It's hard on those who are left behind. And, as for your dear friend of years now past ... her life will be a wonderful memory to carry with you. So much going on in your corner of the world! Peace and comfort be your companions.

Marianne, I love Anne's poem - sort of a sweet way to say goodbye to a cherished pet of more than a decade. It was almost as if, now that your dh is retired, Mollie knew you would be okay and not be lonely.

Ginny, have I told you lately that you are a saint?

Kathryn, your vivid imagination has given you hallucinations! Well, maybe not entirely. But I am here, packing and cleaning and cleaning and packing - boring ... not even enough omphh left to dust off the Bernina. Besides most of my fabric is in Oakhurst ... and, of course, I'm in Cupertino. When I said "not entirely" I think you may have spotted some of the troops on that island. But, I'm pretty sure Gypsy is in the company of one handsome hunk and I doubt she's sharing.

Back on the home front. My washing machine has decided to take it easy. 4 hours to do 1 load of clothes! (This happened once before.) I could make some snarky remarks here but I've bit my tongue to be silent. I've called the repair folks and someone will be out here next Wednesday.

Also, grandson in Beijing called me yesterday. He's not a happy camper at the moment ... anyway he wanted to know if he could come to the U.S. and crash with grandma and grandpa for a few weeks to a month .... in May. Of course, we are always thrilled to have him -- and, of course, he can come and stay. And, of course, we are going on the market with this house May 10th ... (homes are selling in this area in a matter of days - if not hours) and we may all have to do some adjusting. But we will make it work.

Meatloaf, baked potatoes and green beans last night. Carbonara with garlic bread tonight. Date night tomorrow night - DH will take me to a wonderful little hole-in-the-wall Mexican restaurant that we really, really like. He will sort of watch tv over the top of my head while pretending that I'm a fascinating conversationalist. That quiche sounded good. Got that in the line-up for next week.

Sister #3284 - on her Tippie Toes - oxox, Darlys

Chocolate Kisses ...

That is the best ... to laugh with someone because you both think the same things are funny.
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2013 :  02:03:18 AM  Show Profile
Holly, it sounds like the boys are in crusty snow, slush, mud heaven! And you are ....in crusty snow, slush and mud. I know the thrill ride that is a frozen, melting, rutted road. It would be fun to see some action shots of others "enjoying" the ride. Good luck in finding the time to capture those photos. I hope Kethry has made peace with her decision about the memorial. My mother used to always say to us, "Don't send me flowers when I'm dead." It definitely got through to me because as a young(er) woman when I heard of one of my friends losing a parent, I would send flowers to my mom. She never knew why, I always said it was "because." But, as I said, lesson learned. Appreciate people while you have them. It is painful to see our young loved ones grow up through these life-changing lessons. To see them lose their innocence about first one thing then the next. It is inevitable, but yet...sigh. Your definition of an obituatry is spot on. I never thought of it that way, but you put it beautifully. Good luck in writing it to YOUR satisfaction. You will be your biggest critic.

Bunny, I know how excited you were sending off that extra birthday $$ to your youngest. What fun! So glad that the timing of the sale worked out that way. I know you are sorry to miss this milestone. We think we are losing our children and then we find we are still so valuable to them as they get older. Look at the example you are setting for your children. What better lesson could you possible teach them than to pick themselves up, reinvent yourself and keep learning? You will have many more milestones to celebrate, but I am sorry you had to miss this one. Oh, and 145 pounds of hello sounds so fun!

Ginny, you truly are a saint. But, I hope you do give David the idea that enough is enough. Your plate is full. Let you get this cleared before YOU decide to add anything else to it. You do need to be consulted on the timing of these things that eventually fall to you to take care of. We will all back you up in saying "not now." Or whatever you decide. We just want you to have a voice in the decisions. You are a good woman and you deserved to be idolized.

Speaking of idolized ... I guess that brings us to Gypsy. So glad to hear you are getting what you deserve. Isn't it wonderful that when you find the right person, it brings out the ability in both of you to be the right person, too. I think everyone has a past relationship where you have to admit that you just weren't your best. It really takes that combination that clicks to bring out the magic. So glad to hear this one seems to be yours!

Darlys, it sounds like you have one of those wonderful events coming up with your grandson where you say, Yay! ... (but, really, right now?) Of course, it will turn out fine, as you said, you will make it work. But, I do hope your house sale is out of your way and you can just enjoy. And your thought of Mollie having completed her job of keeping me company brought a lump to my throat. I hadn't thought of it that way. But, of course, her job was done, done well and frankly she was tired. Thank you for pointing out the obvious that I was too close to see! All you gals have been so good to me through all my animal trials and tribulations.

Hope you all have a lovely day.
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2013 :  10:27:34 AM  Show Profile
Am on my Nook to let you know my computer died and Nancy just called and hers died, too. She's inMassachustts for aweek

Sister #3284 - on her Tippie Toes - oxox, Darlys

Chocolate Kisses ...

That is the best ... to laugh with someone because you both think the same things are funny.
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2013 :  7:23:20 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

Tonight we had turkey for dinner. Usually we have fish on Friday's because it makes menu planning easy. I know it is a catholic tradition as well and we are not catholic, We had turkey because yesterday I thought we would have chicken for supper which we did but I went down to the freezer and it was melting. Now, I could not really understand why it was melting because it is in an unheated, uninsulated room in the barn part of the house. It was 20 degrees out yesterday and it only has sun in the late morning. so, the turkey was mostly thawed.so it clinched the menu options. it was very tasty. I did a good job cooking it if I do say so myself. We fit most of the remaining meat in the other freezers. I took 8 turkey halves and gave them to several of the neighbors whom I know are sometimes challenged economically. One who took five halves said she would pass them on. today she had people over for supper. One woman who turned 100 last year was very happy to have the turkey half. Not so much because she is financially challenged because her children take good care of her but because she used to grow all her own food and misses the freshness of the meat she buys at the store.

Cheri is over at our friend who is dying house. she is actively dying now. We hope she goes soon. We have all told her it is ok. She has some of her caregivers with her because they wanted to be with her. when I left each was touching her and sending good thoughts. Last night at 3 AM she stopped breathing for two and a half minutes and then started again with stronger breaths. Death is something we do not know about until it is us experiencing it. Ross wants to know if her spirit will wear clothes and what kind of clothes.

Bunny fair is not always equal. sometime you will celebrate with your son and both have a great time. It does not make up missing this milestone but it does create good memories.

It is late. I am tired.

Sweet dreams everyone,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

beachymom
True Blue Farmgirl

467 Posts

Kathy
Manchester Tennessee
USA
467 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2013 :  11:49:27 AM  Show Profile
Jenny & I are both feeling down in the dumps today. The weather is beautiful but cold, cold & did I mention cold! I'm not feeling very well today, so Jenny says she'll go get the mail. Only one letter.

Oh, what a wonderful bright person is our Holly! She just knew that Jenny & I would love getting a card from her with a picture of that great snake eating a toad!! We both were bowled over with laughing. Even hubby loved it & roared with one great "HA"!! Thank you for bringing up our spirits & making us smile. You are so talented.

Now, back to feeling lousy.

Hugs and Squishies!!

Kathy

Farmgirl Sister #3983

Take care of the land and it will take care of you.
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2013 :  5:46:46 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

I am sooooo glad you laughed at the card. I wondered who would be the first to get it. It took me a while to think of the idea but, was tickled when I did. I was hoping there were no die hard Irish who would find me too irreverent. lol

Today our friend who has been living with dementia crossed over. Her name was Libby. She lived for helping people. She loved words. She had a Bachelor of Arts in English, a Masters of Library Science. she was an emergency room physician. She was the first and only woman in her internship for medicine. Six women started in her Medical Program and two finished. At fifty she began Law School and passed the bar in the State of Vermont. She worked to learn. She set a goal and then worked to achieve it. She volunteered for organizations to help people. We used to kid her that the letters for her degrees would be longer than her name.
Her biggest regret when I took her driver's license away was that she could no longer drive to help people. She was so pig headed that she would not allow others to drive her except to go grocery shopping for a year and a half so she could not help people.
She knew she was losing it and told her neurologist that she was. Her neurologist did not understand how Libby knew. I told the Dr that she had figured out how she learned so she could be successful and now she could not learn that way.
Fifteen years ago the love of her life, Janet died after fighting breast and ovarian cancer for 12 years. :Libby was devastated. They were together 34 years.
Together Janet and Libby took care of people who could not afford health insurance in our town or needed a doctor to stop in every now and again to keep them out of a nursing home.
Janet had been missed by many for a long time and now Libby's passing from this nasty disease adds another hole to our lives. We are glad they are together again. We are glad Libby is no longer in pain or frustration or anger. We will miss her terribly but we are so glad her suffering is over. We rejoice in having been privileged to have known them both.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2013 :  5:51:02 PM  Show Profile
Good evening again,

Gypsy slipped in and posted while I was typing. Gypsy, you have had a few good moments of joy in this exploration of partnership. Remember those. If the wrinkles iron out good. If not well there were some good times to remember.
I am glad you know yourself well enough to recognize what will work and not. I am glad you love yourself enough to not settle.

Hugs to you

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2013 :  8:44:56 PM  Show Profile
Holly, thank you for the great card. What a good catch on that picture.

Sorry for the loss of your friend. She was obviously an amazing woman and lived her life to the fullest. I see a similar spirit in you. Great people tend to move in the same circles.

Gypsy, so sorry about the big ugly red flag. I hate those. I know we were all rooting for you.

Kathy, sorry you are feeling down. Turn on some happy music. Maybe it will uplift your spirit. That's what I do when I'm having a down day.

Today was windy and overcast. It finally decided to rain. I spent all day on my bed studying for my finals on Monday. Thankfully I will get them all done in one day. Work is good. Nothing special, just helping everyone during tax season. They are all wearing down. 6 days a week and 11+ hours a day is too much. Thank you IRS.
Tomorrow is more studying and writing notes.

Later everyone. You will all be in my prayers tonight. Another board I'm on had a young family member commit suicide. Very sad. He drove his car into a semi truck. He had some major health issues due to a previous car accident and just wasn't able to function normally anymore and felt this was his only recourse. Too much sadness.

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

BusyBeeMary
True Blue Farmgirl

178 Posts

Mary
Nampa Idaho
178 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2013 :  9:31:40 PM  Show Profile  Send BusyBeeMary a Yahoo! Message
Greetings From Nampa Idaho... I'm 53,just bought a house on 2 acres. Setting up homesteading. We just retired and moved from sutburbs. We are pry nesters for the first time. Raised 5 kids. I started feeling kind of depressed,but then reasised... This is our time. Our whole life has been work,kids, responsibilities,obligations.... And we came last. So now that the two youngest are in college.. and the older three are adults with careers ans families... That its now our time to do what we want... So, I'm growing the biggest garden ever. Planting anything I want to, raising chickens,going glamping... Got a dog, going fishing... It's going to be FUn... Already is. Looking fowRd to getting to know farmgirl sisters over 50...

To Live a Full life one must LOVE MANY THINGS- Vincent Van Gogh

Mary Fitzpatrick
http//www.Thepurplecrazylady.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2013 :  09:17:53 AM  Show Profile
Mary, welcome to the over 50's group. You will love it here and fit right in with the rest of us. We are all from different areas of the country. I am from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, where it is winter 9 months out of the year. It is only 19 degrees right now, been close to zero at night. Spring is 3 days away, but 2 1/2 months before we feel it here.
Looking forward to knowing you better.

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2013 :  2:40:15 PM  Show Profile
Good afternoon everyone,

Today started out overcast and just above zero. Now it is bright and sunny and in the high teens.

The boys have been into too much mischief today. Nothing they have done is extraordinary for boys but geez I wish they would think about the consequences before they do it. I guess that really doesn't happen until they are 27 or so. A long time to wait.

Welcome Mary. I am glad you have been successful in raising your children to adulthood. You deserve to do what you would like with your retirement. I hope it is long and you enjoy it to the fullest. What are your frost dates? Our last frost is usually around the last of May.

Bunny, good luck tomorrow on your exams. Take extra pencils and erasers.

tonight is turkey soup for supper. the last of the turkey from two days ago. I made rolls as well.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 408 Gathered Up: Previous Topic Over 50 Farmgirls Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page