rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2015 :  1:11:04 PM  Show Profile
Just had an impromptu visit from dnA. She mentioned that another child in the neighborhood would like to come with her when she comes to "help" us on Sunday. Uhhhhh. I said that we would plan on doing our usual horse stuff and then afterwards we could see if this youngster would like to gather apples from the ground for the horses and give them to the horses as a treat. That way we can see how this young girl acts around large animals. BUT, we are not interested in enlarging our group. This young girl is visiting her grandparents who are our neighbors. I think we are safe from a long term entanglement there...

Our rain hasn't developed. Just a bit of a mist earlier...

mar
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2015 :  1:20:33 PM  Show Profile
You know what they say, Mar--no good deed goes unpunished. Maybe a word to the parents about your concerns -- liability to have kids around the horses not knowing what either the horses or the kids might do.
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2015 :  5:39:57 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

What is oil pulling? Is that the real term or is it an iphone typo? In reference to your tooth. It would be good if you could fix your tooth without having to deal with a dental procedure.

We split some more wood with the splitter. The littles push the lever to make the wedge move forward and back. DdK is so much stronger than I am. She can lift the bigger blocks that are too heavy for me. Together we lifted some very large diameter and heavy blocks. None of the teen young men are home of course. Maybe tomorrow I can get them to help. DsT's friend Z is staying with us again. He is having problems with his dad (mom not in the picture) so he is with us. I am not sure how long and neither is he. HIs dad has said', " he doesn't know whether to hug him tight or kick him out. but, he sure would miss him if he were gone. " Parenting teen boys is not fun most of the time. Z says he is really confused about a lot of stuff. He is having problems with a girl. C spoke to him and said I think you should find a boyfriend he would be easier to deal with. (having heard a while ago that z thinks he may be gay) Z said he had thought of that. I am not sure how that would go over with his dad but his dad likes us well enough.

DdK is out with her relatively new friend S. S is a little younger than ddK. They are both outspoken and both young women of color.

DdK (19) asked why would her boyfriend want to marry her right away and have children right away? Do I think he has issues? we spoke about he may be insecure in his familial relationships because his early child hood was not that stable. She is thinking so much about important considerations is relationships now. It is so good to see that she is not jumping blindly into something. On the other hand she is talking about moving to Florida while he figures out what he is doing with his life. I am supposed to find her a class to learn about early childhood education but not through community college. So, she still has some impulsive thoughts but not any action. It does help to slow down the situation that she has no money and the old mothers are not going to fork any over for her to move. She did find a woman who wants a nanny in Florida but she is not sure she wants to parent an infant while the mother works more than full time. Then she might get attached and the baby certainly would and then what would happen if she moved on. She does think.

That is a nice story about a neighbor. I would guess that if your brother does not mow the lawn on Sunday then the woman will step up to do it as well.

There are a lot of herb healing recipes out there. Marie, YOu have found out about yarrow. It stops bleeding if you crumble it up and put it on a wound. or jewel weed or plantain stops itching or stinging. those are simple ones always available. I guess even in a fantasy world there must be a bit of reality. I hope Lowell is being kind as he can be.

I guess dnA is trying to take care of someone by getting her an invitation. It is nice she asked first and did not just show up with her friend. I am jealous of all the tomatoes. Mine are still small and green.

We had a bit of rain this afternoon and evening. Maybe 40 minutes in all.

I am glad there is a very good well on the prospective property. HOpe you hear soon.

Now I have turned the page and can not remember what else I read to respond too.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Ozark Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

130 Posts

130 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2015 :  8:12:57 PM  Show Profile

Edited by - Ozark Farmgirl on Sep 27 2015 11:05:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2015 :  8:17:33 PM  Show Profile

Edited by - doll58maker on Sep 19 2019 2:22:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2015 :  8:52:08 PM  Show Profile

Edited by - doll58maker on Sep 19 2019 2:23:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2015 :  9:53:01 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations, Steph. What a long day! We learned to make out offers expire very quickly during our search last year. It's easier on the nerves that way. Now your fun begins. So happy for you.

The Tomato Masters are in charge tomorrow! Dh is a big help this year. And it's just more fun to have company when you do something like this.

Mar
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2015 :  08:52:34 AM  Show Profile
Joanie, the Yosemite area is where I am from. I had a quilt shop in Groveland, the last little town you drive through before the park. I had a beautiful log cabin I had built. My oldest son did most of the work. But I ended up divorced and then the crash. It was one of the most difficult times of my life.
I have a part time job as a seamstress/administrative assistant/retail sales associate. Women's clothing in the front and contract sewing in the back. I'm not the greatest sewer but my boss is good at finding things I can't screw up too badly. Lol.

G, I took an oil painting class and the instructor did the same thing to one of my paintings. He wanted me to put it in the end of the year show I. The library. I told him it wasn't my painting any more because he had done the same thing. I told him he had to use his words not his brush.

Marie, I hope your appointment helps figure out what is wrong. I had the same problem and ended up with a hysterectomy.

Joanie, I don't have a Doxie. I do pet and house sitting for people when they go on vacations. I have a lady with two blind Doxies that I stay with when she is out of town. I have three cats myself.

G, I might also suggest a sonicare (spelling) electric tooth brush. It takes a bit to get use to it ( it tickles the inside of your mouth a bit), but it has saved me so many trips to the dentist. It vibrates very fast and I think it helps blood flow. Anyway, I have had tooth pain go away after using it.

Holly, I'm so glad DD is thinking ahead. So many roads for her to travel. It is sad about Z and his dad. But teen boys are difficult. I had two to raise myself.
I love that the littles are able to find so many ways to help. They will hopefully learn an appreciation for all your hard work someday.

Well, sewing room is calling my name.

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com
Handmade stuff http://www.curiousorangecat.etsy.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2015 :  08:57:12 AM  Show Profile
Mar, I don't envy you with the little girls and the horses. Little girls love the idea of horses but don't understand the danger possibilities. i guess just keeping them to the front end will help.

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2015 :  08:59:05 AM  Show Profile
Oh, and Steph, congrats on the new farm! If a strange women pulls up towing a trailer with three cats....lol just out me on the back 40. I'll stay out of your way.

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

Ozark Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

130 Posts

130 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2015 :  11:47:16 AM  Show Profile

Edited by - Ozark Farmgirl on Sep 27 2015 11:05:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2015 :  12:21:21 PM  Show Profile

Edited by - doll58maker on Sep 19 2019 2:24:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2015 :  12:32:50 PM  Show Profile
Steph, I'm so with you on the sustainability. Holly has that down pat. I am single with no retirement or savings. So my best bet will probably be some kind of RV. I will never be able to come up with enough cash for a land purchase. Especially if I ever want to go back to California. I told both my sons I will live anywhere as long as I can be close to them.

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2015 :  12:58:08 PM  Show Profile
I'll either have a hysterectomy or fibroid removal. It's okay. That area hasn't been used recreationally for over a decade. LOL While the surgeon is down there, I will ask him or her to take off a little fat from my tummy.

I agree Gypsy. I also do not have dental coverage. When I was on Medical Assistance, I had enough coverage to get an annual check up, cleaning, cavity care and dentures. I didn't get dentures but almost everyone on MA I knew had them. I wish I didn't have to buy Medicare Advantage to get my teeth fixed. And yes, dentists torture you twice: first with the procedure then with the bill. I will be calling the University of Minnesota Dental School. They are supervised and prices are much less. Some procedures may even be had for free as part of their board exam.

Today is 90 degrees, clear and calm. The humidity is around 50%. Both of us are lying low today. The guess is that rain will come tomorrow and every day next week. Humidity will increase and temperatures will decrease. That would be nice.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2015 :  5:08:18 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

yes we do have a lot of acreage. We are taxed on 270 acres. About 60 of that is open. We live on the side of a mountain. Well, mountain for here in Vermont. Our land has lots of rocks. The people we bought it from had a plan drawn up to subdivide the fields into building lots but because the land did not perk (drain the water away) quick enough they were not able to do that. Our land is at the end of a half mile dirt road. We have privacy. I like the privacy. We have a spring that is gravity fed to the house to a holding tank then we have a pump to pump it up to the house. We live in an old hay barn. The loft is now a two story house and there are stalls and rooms underneath. We do not need to go outside to milk or feed the animals in the winter. We built a hay barn maybe ten years ago now. So, we bring the hay over on a wagon or in the truck in the winter in 30 bale lots to feed each day.

My sister lives in Columbia, Missouri.

congratulations on the land acquisition.

I use a sonicare toothbrush as well. It is expensive to purchase but all of my dentists reccomend it. OK why do I not want to spit a tablespoon of coconut oil down the drain? I will look into finding some in a liquid form. DdK is always looking for a way to whiten her already beautifully white teeth and she says that I should too. I inherited from my father the propensity to have receding gum lines and periodontal disease so I wonder if oil squishing would help slow the progress.

Steph you should look into permaculture for your property. Planting for sustainability. There are a good number of books out on growing on a small plot of land.

Today the temperatures were in the high 80's with a very high humidity level We put some of the split wood in the barn. We put in one row. A row is 13 feet long and 6 feet high. I try to cut the wood between 16 and 20 inches to fit in the stove. It was too hot to do more.

Yesterday I was out giving the pigs their sour milk. I try to take it out when they are sleeping in their house so they do not push me around. They are taller than my knees now and well over 200 pounds each. Probably close to 300 pounds at that. Anyway, I made it to the bucket and began to pour the sour milk in and one came and bumped the bottom of the bucket out of my hands. It landed on the ground. I lectured them on losing their beloved sour milk on the ground and quickly picked up the white bucket and another pig ran between my legs . I thought I was a goner to the ground but I fell across the tops of two other pigs and rescued myself. I extricated myself from the pigs and went on my way. I was covered from the bottom of my shorts to the top of my socks in pig slobber. I was more careful today. it was pretty funny to be there and probably more funny to watch.

I was calling in the cow tonight and there was a little hummingbird feeding on the burdock and jewel weed flowers. it landed and sat on the burdock for a while. I wished I had my camera.

Sweet dreams everyone,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2015 :  7:34:04 PM  Show Profile
Holly--living on the side of a mountain sounds like paradise. Even though I'm in the Midwest, there are lots of hills around here and I like hilly areas. Being covered in pig slobber does NOT sound like paradise. There are some springs around here but due to all the agricultural use of land, the springs contain chemicals that are not good for you to ingest. Unless you believe that Monsanto garbage that Round-Up is safe enough to drink.
Bunny--I hope you recover what you lost someday. Even if it's just a piece of it.
Mar--I hope you're wearing an apron around all those tomatoes. And I agree with G, the girls have to understand that they need to pay attention when they're around horses. Horses feel insecure when people's minds are somewhere else--that's how i got bit by a horse. I learned to study horses after that.
Steph--congrats. on the land purchase. You mentioned something about it being north--are you in Arkansas or Missouri? I've probably asked before but I forget. Most people think of Branson when they hear "Ozarks" but they don't realize the Ozarks begin at the back door of St. Louis.
Marie--I'm not a "recreational" user either. Though I could be persuaded if the right man comes along.
G--I liked your original better. I've never taken a painting class but I've done some work with acrylics. Mostly to express myself. Not really for anyone else.
I gave a jar of canned pickled beans to my parents' neighbor as a token of appreciation. My brother and his family are coming over tomorrow so he can mow the front yard then. I fixed a bean dish tonight with beans from my garden and I'll bring it over. My tomatoes in pots are drying up. Keep forgettin how much water they need when it's hot. My tomatoes in the ground are doing well. Jaxon (my dog) has an infection in one ear so I've been keeping it clean. If it gets worse I'll take him to the vet. Poor baby was shaking his head last night and it woke me up. I looked at his ear and it was inflamed. I got some gook out of it. He seems fine with it now.
I had a fever most of the day and stayed in bed. Don't know why I get these fevers--it just happens once in a while. Sometimes I get sick as well but today I didn't.
Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2015 :  09:13:14 AM  Show Profile

Edited by - doll58maker on Sep 19 2019 2:25:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2015 :  09:37:47 AM  Show Profile
Cindy, my son used to get night fevers and we could not figure out what - doctor figured it was an allergy and asked if he slept with a feather pillow. He did, we removed the feather pillows and his fevers went away. Could be an allergy to anything if it comes and goes like that.
Go to Top of Page

Ozark Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

130 Posts

130 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2015 :  11:58:38 AM  Show Profile

Edited by - Ozark Farmgirl on Sep 27 2015 11:06:15 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ozark Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

130 Posts

130 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2015 :  12:13:59 PM  Show Profile

Edited by - Ozark Farmgirl on Sep 14 2015 8:44:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2015 :  5:13:56 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

So, the neighbor knows about oil pulling. She keeps her jar in the shower and swishes it while she showers. She says she spits it into the trash can so it does not plug the drain.

We split and stacked wood this morning. Then the temperatures rose into the 80's and then 90's and that was the end of working hard outside. I had lunch and took a nap. Later in the day I cut the extra green branches off some of the tomato plants so they think they are dying and will ripen the fruit.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2015 :  9:39:49 PM  Show Profile

Edited by - doll58maker on Sep 19 2019 2:26:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2015 :  9:49:32 PM  Show Profile
Wondering about Betty from Pasco. And Mel. And Cheryl. And others. You know who you are. Check in. Roll call time. Just want to know everybody is alright.
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2015 :  07:51:57 AM  Show Profile
Oh G! Collaborative or whatever -- that is gorgeous!!! I can't stop looking at it. I have ZERO skills in the whole area of painting, and to think I know the artist!!!! I would love to see you have a show.

Joanie -- Thanks for joining us. This group of women has become a real life-line for me, and a terrific sounding board for all of life's little (and not so little) bumps and bruises.

We spent this past weekend with Dude's youngest daughter. We were taking her car down to her and bringing back the one she had been using, so we had to drive instead of flying -- what an awful experience that was! ha ha I am a very very defensive driver (always have been) and Dude is Mr Aggressive in the WORST way! I spent most of the drive down and back (about 550 miles each way) with white knuckles. It was simply dreadful and I will not put myself through that again.

Dude had a Moh's procedure Thursday morning to remove some skin cancer, and we had planned to leave town right after that. I thought that plan was ill-conceived, since we didn't know exactly how long it would take. They ended up carving on him until about noon, so we didn't get out the door until 12:30. Hmmm. So by the time we got down to about Roanoke, VA, we were both exhausted. Since we left so late (and there was a huge awful fatality accident on I81), I finally put my foot down and said "we are stopping at a motel and SLEEPING." He was actually quite relieved. Then we only had another 3 or 4 hours on Friday morning.

We spent a wonderful weekend with the kids -- boating on Lake Wylie and eating in fun restaurants and just enjoying being together. We were going to head back up north Sunday morning and had gone to bed Saturday night when Dude's phone rang. His older brother had passed away suddenly a few hours earlier. He had Parkinson Disease, but it was a sudden heart attack that took him. So that was the end of pleasantness for our little get-away. We didn't sleep much the rest of Saturday night, and then got up early Sunday and headed north. We made the trip north in about 10 hours of driving time, stopped in to see the widow and make plans for what needs to be done, and then got home about 9:00 on the verge of collapse -- physical and mental.

So that's why I am at my desk this morning instead of at home doing all that stuff. I figured there would be lots of "covering" to do around here today. Dude is at the funeral home this morning, helping SIL with the arrangements for Brother's funeral. He was a planner, so we are guessing he had pre-paid for his funeral when he knew he had Parkinson. So my poor Dude is feeling very edgy with the very fresh sting of grief, trying to step in and help SIL, has to keep retelling and retelling people that Brother has passed. We are MS and SON here at the auto dealership, and Brother was the SON. He lived here in this little town his entire life, and so many people knew and loved him. It will be a long week. We are counting our blessings that Brother did not linger or have to go into some kind of facility, SIL was holding him in her arms when he passed, they had been out to dinner earlier with some good friends, just returned from a tour trip with their travel group down to Nashville...so many things that could have been missing, so we're holding onto those positives.

My job for this week is just to support Dude where I see he needs it and try not to cling to him too hard. When you see someone grieving like SIL is, it's so easy to personalize their grief and it makes us hold on even tighter to our loved ones.

So love each other today, Ladies. Hugs and smiles and extra coffee all around.

Farmgirl #6318
"Where there's a will -- there's probably a family fight."
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2015 :  1:43:28 PM  Show Profile
oh, Marilyn. So sorry for your loss. You do have a tough time ahead. I'll be thinking of you. BTW, you are wise to decide that long trips like that are not to be made behind the wheel ever again. Some people love to drive, it does not sound like Dude is one of them!

Holly, you almost own a county! How nice that the soil didn't perk! Or is it perc? I am unsure, but I know what it means...

I am a bit sore from picking tomatoes. My neck - from straining to find the ones that were hiding! I have one more sofa cover to stitch up...four total for the two sofas that the doggies are allowed on. The one in the front room is off limits!

There has not been a lot of action around here. The neighbors brought a bucket of apples for Sunny and Tahoe. (They appreciated the effort, of course, and chomped a bunch of them while we visited.)

Last week, mom's hair appointment was changed to Tuesday because of a salon flood. On Wednesdays, Mom has us "over" for Tacos. We jokingly call it Taco Tuesday... So, last week, Mom had her hair done on Tuesday instead of Monday, decided it was Wednesday and made Tacos. It didn't matter really. But, we all had a laugh.

G, good luck with moving the pieces into the City House. I hope you are thrilled with what you kept and have made peace with what you had to let go. Now make some more lists for your European adventure.

Mar
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 408 Gathered Up: Previous Topic Over 50 Farmgirls Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page