churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2015 :  2:20:14 PM  Show Profile
The Iris Goddess imprimatur started around the time everyone's irises were blooming and we were putting pictures up. It was either Mar or Gypsy who said that we should all be Goddesses of the Iris.

Nooners? <sigh> I haven't recreated in ten or more years and now I can't even take care of myself. Oh well, I had more than enough recreation in my 30's.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.

Edited by - churunga on Jul 20 2015 2:24:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2015 :  4:46:19 PM  Show Profile

Edited by - doll58maker on Sep 19 2019 07:34:57 AM
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2015 :  4:46:56 PM  Show Profile
I like goddess far better than crone.
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2015 :  5:27:39 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

We should create our own mythology. So, here I go. I remember the beautiful pictures of the irises that people were posting and we all agreed that we are as beautiful as the irises so we became Goddesses of the Iris.

Ahhh to be childfree for a nooner. and you Mar with a MIL in the house.

I appreciate all of the jabs against intolerance that you fine Goddesses put into the world. Every bit helps.

Today was a fine summer day. Hot and humid. However there was good breeze to keep the wind chimes chiming. The horse flies are feasting.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2015 :  6:59:30 PM  Show Profile
Well, mar said people of the Iris when she meant purple, but we picked up on it and then I wrote the following:

People of the Iris--Goddesses of indeterminate age. Dr Christine Northrup has a new book out. I just downloaded it last night. I like it already. We ,all of us over 50, are all goddesses just so you know...

Then someone else ( Marie or holly?) Put it together and Goddesses of the Iris was born. There you have it. Sort of.

Edited by - doll58maker on Jul 20 2015 7:01:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2015 :  06:20:41 AM  Show Profile
I never thought that I would BE this age, much less to care about what I looked like! ha ha Some days I feel okay about the way I look and some days I just don't look. Had a haircut on Saturday. My stylist, who has been cutting my hair for a few years now, asked about my recent birthday trip to Idaho and I mentioned that I had turned 60. "60?" she cried, "You are 60?" Then she went on and on about how I didn't have any wrinkles and my skin was so beautiful and --- wait for it --- how she hoped she would look as good you-know-when. Then she called several of the other stylists over to look at me. That was fun. ha ha ha I know she was intending it all as complimentary, but I just felt weird. I almost never think of myself as some number, and when I do I generally have to start with my eldest brother's birth year, because it's a nice round one, and then count down to get my age. I can tell that I don't bounce back as quickly from exercise, and that I am thicker around my middle, and that I get tired a little bit easier than I once did, but I am also SOOOOO much happier in my own head and in my life (love and otherwise) than I was back in those 30s that everyone seems to think are so great. And I think one reason my skin is not wrinkled is that I grew up in Western Washington and we just didn't have enough sunshine to tan. ha ha ha ha

Went to a baby dedication on Sunday. Grandchild of the Dude's best best best friend from years ago. After the church service, we went to the house (baby's family) and had a nice brunch. I came home in tears. It is such a sad sad family. Grandmother and Grandfather never say one nice word to each other -- they sat in separate rows in the church -- every word that passes between them is some kind of dig. Nobody smiles. The baby's mother said something to her brother (who is the Godfather of the new baby) and he stormed out the front door having a mad fit right in the middle of the brunch. They have these lovely gorgeous gigantic (expensive) houses, but they're not pleasant homes -- so much bickering and fighting and "getting." Dude didn't even ask me why I was crying -- he knows I am sort of an empath when it comes to that sort of thing, he just reached over and held my hand and said "I know."

This afternoon "we" have "our" prostate biopsy. I am dreading it for him and I know he's trying to keep his mind busy because he must be dreading it, too. I just hope we get results back quickly and that they are GOOD, of course! This has been a long several weeks of medical screenings and doctor visits. Everything has been good so far, but this one has me most worried. Not productive.

So...I think I will get to work and see what kind of dent I can make in my "to do" drawer before we have to take off. Love to all my sisters.

Farmgirl #6318
"Where there's a will -- there's probably a family fight."
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2015 :  07:03:50 AM  Show Profile
Does everyone plant their irises in the fall?

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page

Ozark Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

130 Posts

130 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2015 :  08:18:49 AM  Show Profile

Edited by - Ozark Farmgirl on Sep 27 2015 11:18:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2015 :  10:35:40 AM  Show Profile

Edited by - doll58maker on Sep 19 2019 07:36:41 AM
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2015 :  10:47:02 AM  Show Profile

Edited by - doll58maker on Sep 19 2019 07:37:24 AM
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2015 :  11:03:08 AM  Show Profile
Oh yes, the "news." Just take a little tally sometime of how many times certain families are mentioned or certain politicians, or certain issues. Also listen to how many times the "news" shows a video of some hyped-up event and then reminds us stupid viewers that said event was sponsored "by our parent company, *******"

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2015 :  11:17:33 AM  Show Profile
I lost my post. And it is the first time ever that has happened to me. I know it happens a lot...just never to me! And now it has. What should I make of that?

Marilyn, thinking of you.

Steph, you have been in such an extended period of grief...I hope you have more good days than bad.

G, Just prepay the funeral now and let her know you're ready when she is.

It is difficult to watch the news. They search far and wide for non news issues and I see mom listening raptly to it. For the third time that day. "I like to watch the news in case someone asks me about something I can say I saw it." Life is just one big test for her.

When dd first moved into their new apartment, a workman entered the apartment without permission. As you know, Yellow Dog is a very important member of their family. Dd was almost in tears about whether this work man may have abused the dog. (It seemed unlikely given Sammie's breed - Labrador - and size.) Oops. Sammie=Yellow Dog=Dooda=Mostaccioli.... Anyway, Mom's big outrage about the illegal entry of their home was, "What if she didn't have the dishes done or the bed made?" This is Mom's idea of the crucial thoughts a young woman with two degrees and six years of college should be having. I just don't know what to say sometimes. Who worries about dishes and beds???

mar
Go to Top of Page

Ozark Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

130 Posts

130 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2015 :  11:44:22 AM  Show Profile

Edited by - Ozark Farmgirl on Sep 27 2015 11:18:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2015 :  1:53:38 PM  Show Profile

Edited by - doll58maker on Sep 19 2019 07:38:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2015 :  5:49:10 PM  Show Profile
G, they say the good die young.

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com
Handmade stuff http://www.curiousorangecat.etsy.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2015 :  5:52:48 PM  Show Profile
I'll start planning for a long life now!
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2015 :  6:24:22 PM  Show Profile
Bunny, it's too late for me to die young, you lurker, you!
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2015 :  6:37:32 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

I think all of us have tried to overcome whatever nasties our parents dealt us while we were growing up to not inflict them on our children. Then our children start thinking for themselves or being influenced by others and all of our good intentions go bye bye. Some stick around and some leave for reasons we don't understand. Now as mothers we can say we tried.

I think pre buying a funeral is a good idea. Then it is automatic and you do not need to make any decisions then and your sister can not guilt you into doing something you have no intention of doing.

Geez, I am having problems putting together sentences and thoughts tonight.

I took young dsR to the dentist for sealants and then to the orthodontist for a look see. He had impressions taken for a retainer to wear at night to keep the spaces open from the molars he had pulled last March because the six year molars that were coming in were too crowded to come in so they were gouging out chunks of these teeth. The little guy is only 7. Big teeth small mouth. It will be pink with purple sparkles and pictures of basketballs on it.

We stopped watching the news at 9/11. It scared the now teenagers. DsT was sure that because we had a silo a plan was going to crash into it. So, we are spared the repeated exposure to what the media considers important.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2015 :  06:39:28 AM  Show Profile
I am going to live forever, evidently! ha ha ha Thanks for the reminder, Bunny. Just another thing I love about this group of women.

Yesterday is over and we are glad. I had been dreading the procedure for him, because I knew it would be quite unpleasant. He dreaded it, too, but kept it all to himself, which is his way. What I had NOT realized was that I would fall completely apart when he started the prep. It really is not much -- nothing like for a colonoscopy -- an hour before the procedure, he had to take an antibiotic and a diazepam and an enema. With my medical background, I was able to explain the need for the pills to him, but when he got that enema out of the box and started reading through the instructions I lost it and had to go in the file room and cry. My mother used to give me enemas as punishments when I was little. Just thinking of him having to do that made me shake all over and feel sick. I can remember getting up in the morning and seeing that horrible hose and bag contraption hanging over the shower spigot -- I knew I was in for it that day. I would walk around on absolute eggshells trying to be "good," but I knew there would be some infraction. Anyway...past is past and we get beyond it, but it never really goes away, does it?

So the procedure was scheduled for 1:00. They called early in the day and said Doc needed to push it to 3:00. No problem, since there was not big involved prep -- actually worked a little better for us because we didn't have to close the shop so early. So he does his pre-flight and by the time I get him into the car to run over to the hospital, he is Mr. Jell-o. Not really one for taking pills, and the Valium knocked him silly! I was afraid I was going to have to get a wheelchair to get him into the building, but he managed to walk in from the parking lot. The reception lady was wonderful -- very helpful and courteous. So we went downstairs to Radiology and got checked in and a nurse/tech came and got him in about 10 minutes or so. And then we waited. I had brought knitting with me and there was a TV in the waiting room, but it really seemed to be taking forever. Meanwhile, he's getting ready for the procedure; getting undressed and on the table -- assuming the position. The tech comes in and says "Doc will be about 15 minutes late, but I have already spoken to him, so he should be here soon." So Dude is watching the clock on the equipment in the room and it counts 38 minutes before Doc arrives. He said he had decided if the guy was 30 minutes late, he would just get up and leave, but he stuck it out til he finally got there. So they do the horrible to him and then there's this huge clatter -- I heard it out in the waiting room! The tech had knocked the tray with all the specimens on it onto the floor!!! Luckily there were lids on each of the 12 samples, so they didn't have to try to convince him to do it all over, which I do NOT think they could have done without a whip and a chair at that point. Doc leaves. Tech puts papers in front of Dude to sign and he notices that there's a highlighted space with no signature. "Oh! The doctors always forget to sign -- I will run catch him before he leaves the building." Dude asks her if he can get dressed, and she says sure. So here he is surrounded by his own blood from the procedure, and the woman just bolts from the room. He said he gathered up the pads from the table and cleaned himself up and got dressed and sat and sat and sat and sat. Tech finally comes back into the room and says "Oh? You're still here?" Well duh. So he signed his release papers and got out.

One bright spot was that, during the procedure, Doc made a positive comment about something that was obvious on the ultrasound that could have caused the high PSA, which he said was good news. I will be holding onto that until August 4, when we get our results. We are trying to assume that it's just BPH, and that the nodule is completely benign, which statistically is plausible. But His Dudeness is already putting together his "words" for the doctor for when he goes in to see him!! I would like to be a fly on the wall for that one. Doctors sometimes forget that the patient is a human person.

My ex texted me last night. Our granddaughter and her partner are splitting up. They have been together for quite a while and have twin boys who are 3 years old. Anyway, she had found a friend to let her move in with her, but the house was quite a ways away and A doesn't have a job yet because she's been home with the boys all along. So Grandpa convinced her to move in with him. He's got the room and he lives right there in town -- near where A's momma lives, too, so that's a plus. And lots of places for her to find work nearby. Hoping for the best for them all.

Looks like customers. Talk to you all later.

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2015 :  08:53:50 AM  Show Profile
Marilyn, what a terrible childhood experience. I'm so sorry you had to relive that memory. As the kids say nowdays...my feels!!!

Hope everything is good for the dude. Some doctors (and nurses) can be so clueless.

Holly, kids and teeth! You have had plenty experience with the orthodontist I believe. Love the retainer design. Hopefully braces are not in store.

I think we all try to teach our kids the best we can. Between our teaching and genetics we can only pray they make the right decisions. I notice my older son is very much like me in temperament and my youngest is like his father in how he deals with things.

Off to work I go. Later everyone.
Steph, still waiting to hear (and see) how that dress fits. I do exchanges if it doesn't fit. So don't be afraid to let me know.

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

Ozark Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

130 Posts

130 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2015 :  09:39:14 AM  Show Profile

Edited by - Ozark Farmgirl on Sep 27 2015 11:19:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2015 :  09:44:48 AM  Show Profile
Oh, just got out of the shower and hit with a uti! It was fast! In so much pain. Thankfully I have a dr appointment in a few hours. I will be on my knees in pain by then. Sad thing is, whenever this happens, they can't see anything when they test for it. Meanwhile I'm dying. So no work today.

Steph, I'm glad the dress is ok. I always stress until I get the review. It is important to me that my customers are happy!!

Now, to try to meditate this pain away up for the next two hours. Ommmmmm

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2015 :  11:04:03 AM  Show Profile
One more thing for which I am grateful -- I do not get UTIs. Bunny -- hope you are feeling better soon. Everything I've heard is that they are unpleasant. Lucky (?) that you had an appointment scheduled already.

Steph -- Several years ago, my parents moved to a small town in Western Washington near my middle brother and his wife. My parents have moved soooooooo many times and at that time had been bouncing back and forth between Arizona and Washington. So they sold their place in AZ and were going to stay in Washington "forever." (Ha) They took the proceeds from their AZ home and made a down payment on a house in Longview, WA, and my brother and his wife made the monthly payments, with the understanding that they would take care of Mother and Daddy and then the house would go to them when M&D were gone. The other three siblings were absolutely fine with it -- sounded like a good plan. However -- my parents have the itchiest feet in the US of A, and after about 3 years they decided to move again -- first they said they would go back to Indiana. We reminded them that they had moved AWAY from Indiana twice because they "just couldn't stand it," and that might not be the best plan at their age. So they went back to Arizona and bought a little park model trailer; stayed about 6 months, sold it, back up to Idaho to the oldest brother this time; had an apartment ("It is just what we need -- we love it") and back down to AZ within about two months; bought another little trailer and stayed maybe another 2 months; then back up to Idaho; bought a house there; lived in the house for a year or so and then sold it and moved to the crappiest little apartment they could find because, as my mother says "We don't need much at our age." So the best laid plans went by the wayside long ago. I think at this point they are just not able to make any more moves, and my dad needs to be near his cancer treatments. When he's gone we will have to find a home for my mother, because she won't be able to be on her own. Middle brother and his wife still have the "forever" house and have it rented out -- it is helping pay for their retirement, and the rest of us siblings are still fine with that. It's not their fault that Mother and Daddy couldn't decide where they wanted to be for more than a minute at a time. When I think of the money they have wasted by buying and selling and throwing out furniture and buying new all the time...it is too sad. They could be in one of those really nice communities with everything they need close by and all the health care right at hand.....but, they have had a long and happy retirement (about 25 years now) and have done pretty much what they wanted.

It is beautiful here today -- still sunny and warm, but the humidity has dropped considerably -- so much more pleasant. We have guests coming for dinner tonight. When Dude invited them for a weeknight, I said "Fine, but I will be leaving work at 3:30." I don't like to run in at the last minute and try to get things together for company. Guys sometimes don't realize how much there is to do. "It looks fine to me!" ha ha ha ha

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page

Ozark Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

130 Posts

130 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2015 :  12:36:06 PM  Show Profile

Edited by - Ozark Farmgirl on Sep 27 2015 11:19:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2015 :  1:20:14 PM  Show Profile
Steph, please no hurry on the review. Knowing you got it and it fits is all I need to be happy. I just don't often get this wonderful opportunity to be internet buddies. G has also bought from me.
Speaking of miss GG. I could probably sell that jacket ten times over. It is my most popular pinned item on Pinterest. At least to small people. Lol

Marilyn, the doctor appt was new. I was just lucky to get in today. I'm hanging in there waiting for my mom to pick up my meds. I'm in too much pain to wait an hour at the pharmacy. I'll live...this time.

My inlaws moved like Marilyn's parents. Every few years they were on the move again. Except they stayed in California the whole time.

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 408 Gathered Up: Previous Topic Over 50 Farmgirls Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly