Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2015 :  06:30:48 AM  Show Profile
Today I am grateful for my wonderful daughter and will be telling her so this weekend. I am trying to make sure that I enjoy each and every day and each and every wonderful opportunity that this life on earth brings with it. I do not wish to insult any of you who have a religious affiliation that brings you joy, but I am still "recovering" from my religious upbringing. It was just as G said above -- fear, fear, fear and more fear -- with a big sloppy topping of GUILT. I am still as spiritual as I ever was, but I will not darken the doorway of that church again. My mother has always been afraid and taught us to be the same. Her religion has never brought her joy that I could see -- just a bunch of rules and NO NO NO NO was the answer to everything. She was never a sweet natured person and the dementia has not changed that. Holly -- yes, she is definitely becoming more and more paranoid. I watched her older sister go through the very same stages. It was a very deja vu experience listening to her talk over the weekend -- saying the same things almost word-for-word that my aunt said. Glad that Mother doesn't remember that, so she doesn't know what is coming down the road -- or at least I hope she doesn't realize. I know my dad is tired some days, but having her to look after does keep him going, so that's good.

We are having heat here. It will be in the mid-90s today and the humidity is pretty high. I got out first thing for my mile and came back with my nice hot coffee -- silly silly me, but it sure tastes good! My office is quite pleasantly air conditioned and there's plenty of natural light, so I can leave the overhead lights off. I don't know if that really makes it cooler, but it "feels" like it to me. ha I even sneaked out front and turned His Dudeness' a/c on. He is such a lizard that he would sit in the heat all day and be perfectly happy, but I think our customers would rather it was a little less hot out there. I think he is going to the bid sale later anyway, so he'll be gone. Our inventory is pretty low and he's always looking for more Hondas for the lot. I think he's looking for a different car for his youngest, as well. She would like to have a smaller SUV for commuting and hauling their little boat. She has had a Range Rover for the past several years, and that's just too big for her to drive into the city where she works.

Thinking about knitting myself another little cotton cardigan. I have a sort of lace pattern that I knit once for my mother in a kind of tuttu-frutti colorway, and then a couple of years ago I did one for me in a wheat color. Now that I have let my hair go natural, I think white would look better than the wheat one, and it would certainly go with more of my clothes. It's a fun pattern and I am getting used to it -- ha ha.

Dude bought me a hammock chair and hung it from a rafter on the porch last evening. It is wonderful! There's always a little breeze right through there and it's a good place to watch the birds. We have blossoms on the zukes and one of the cantaloupes, peas on the vines, tomatoes on the Lemon Boy and little blooms on the peppers and the other tomatoes. A friend brought me a lime basil yesterday, so I put that in the garden last night. I have had lemon before, but this is distinctly lime. We had lettuce from our garden with our Caprese for dinner last night. I think next year I will really enrich the soil in the salad garden -- the leafy stuff is kind of disappointing. So much to do in the spring so we have lots to do in the summer so we have even more to do in the fall so we can look outside in the winter and wish for spring! ha ha

Enjoy your Thursday, Goddesses. Tell someone you love them and really mean it. Say something nice to someone dreadful. And say something nice to the lady in the mirror, as well -- she deserves it!

M

Farmgirl #6318
"Where there's a will -- there's probably a family fight."
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2015 :  08:11:50 AM  Show Profile
Thank you for that last thought Marilyn. Good words.

There is a refrigerator outside my door. I am just waiting for the guys to come in and switch them out. I have a nice path cleared for them and, yes once again, everything has been moved away from the windows. This place is a complete shambles. Take a look ---

Living Room

Kitchen Sink

Kitchen Counter

Bedroom

Dining Room

The only room not touched is the bathroom.

Rick and Scott are here installing the new refrigerator now.

Rick and Scott

Only now I have to move the table in front of the living room window and my sewing table in front of the bedroom windows. ARRRRGH!!!!!!!!!

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2015 :  08:40:59 AM  Show Profile
I really hate computers today. That is all. :)

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2015 :  10:39:09 AM  Show Profile
Alrighty then. I got the computer issue squared away. My Internet went down this morning (Our DSL is a little fussy sometimes) and I had to do a hard reset of the whole system and the modem, but it's good now.

Also.......

Both of our printers had gone kerflooie within the past week, so Dude bought a new printer and I got it all installed and working properly in his office. Then it occurred to me that, since I had installed it wirelessly, I OUGHT to be able to print on it from my computer as well, so I got that working. Right now I am feeling pretty doggone self-satisfied. Saved the $$ of a second printer and did it all by my little lonesome.

Roar!!!

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2015 :  12:31:19 PM  Show Profile
Just a quick post. My hat is off to you and B for tackling those bees! What a great accomplishment and such teamwork. And Marilyn, you are amazing to have got all those computer issues solved on your own. Maybe you deserve another coffee?

Of course, holly is always amazing us with her construction... congrats farm girls on all the hurdles you have all overcome today.

Marilyn, I have made peace with my beliefs, too. I think everyone has to at some point, at least our generation feels that way.
Mar
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2015 :  12:35:14 PM  Show Profile
My garden. I'll pick my first zucchini tonight!

Mar
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2015 :  1:32:24 PM  Show Profile
Mar -- Congratulations on the zuke!!! Sometimes it seems like you can almost hear them growing. We had bright yellow blossoms this morning -- anxious to see what they look like tonight.

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2015 :  6:04:55 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

I guess I am one of the few who was not raised with hateful religion. I am not sure what happened but when I was in seventh or eighth grade my mother came to me and said that she and my father did not like what the preacher was preaching and would I mind quitting choir. I didn't and we did and we never looked back. My sister helped start a church 35 years ago or so in Columbia, MO where she lives. When we were sitting on either side of our father's death bed we had interesting conversations about the belief systems of her church and why I was leary of talking to her about my life. She said, well I do not believe that. I believe that God will judge us all when we die so I do not have to do that here. I told her that by supporting a church that was discriminating she was supporting that discrimination. I guess she went home and thought about it. I do not know what the outcome was or of her continued relationship with that church. C's mother belonged to some hate spewing church that sent her tapes to listen too. C says now that she gets along best with her mother now that she is dead. That is a sad commentary on a mother child relationship.

Marilyn you are right about trying to find joy in everyday. I am very impressed with your skill with computer hardware.

Mar that is a well organized garden with so much space. You have done so much fixing up since you moved in. I think my zuke plants have not yet surfaced. The children are waiting for them to appear. One of their favorite summer time dishes is zucchini fries.

Marie I would be frustrated with the hurry up and wait mentality that you are stuck with right now. Good luck to you.

Where is Cindy? or Jan? Maybe Bunny is pet sitting.

Today was very sunny with a stiff breeze. I was glad of the breeze to blow away the seat and the deer flies. they are biting already.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2015 :  7:31:51 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone. Yes, I have been pet sitting but that's done until the fourth of July weekend. Then it's out to take care of the blind doxies again.
I have been busy working as many hours as I can. Putting all my pet sitting money in savings. I will be sewing this weekend as usual. Other than that.. not much going on.

Mar, congrats on the garden! Everything does look for orderly. My planting beds are filled with some very health weeds.

Marilyn, doesn't it make you feel amazing when you can conquer the computer! The wireless ones are so helpful! I have one in the basement. How did we ever get by?

Marie, glad the new fridge is in. What a pain! Plus hopefully you are getting some fresh air.

I have learned not to go into my religious feelings. I am spiritual but feel churches have done more to harm than help. My mom is LDS. I listen respectfully and then go on my way. I feel everyone believes what they need to get by. It's all good as long as it doesn't hurt anyone.

Other than that, just the usual for me. Weather has cooled off. Lots of sewing to do!

Later goddess sisters!

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com
Handmade stuff http://www.curiousorangecat.etsy.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2015 :  9:13:44 PM  Show Profile
Here I am. I've just been very tired when I get home from work and so haven't been on the computer much. It's been very hot here and that kind of heat, coupled with our humidity, wipes me out. There's a chance of rain tomorrow with slightly cooler temps. Maybe.
I've had both good and bad experiences with churches--as for religion, I think religion is for people who think Heaven is a place in the sky, and spirituality is for people who believe that Heaven is a place in the heart. Religion can lead to spirituality but it seems most of the time, people can't get beyond what they are indoctrinated to believe by pastors who are really control freaks. I've made peace with God but not with organized religion. I had a dream recently where all these young priests were blind-folded and had to learn to lead Mass while blind-folded. What's it say in the Bible about the blind leading the blind?
GG--I'm sorry about the bees. I know it was difficult to kill them, even if they were just insects--fascinating, incredible insects. Nature can be a bummer sometimes.
Mar--what a beautiful garden. I picked my first sugar snap pea pod this morning and I had a small salad of endive that I have growing in a container out front. My blackberries will soon be ripe. Hope i can get them before the birds do.
Holly--how sad that C's mother went to such a hateful church. Churches like that give religion a bad name. I've met a few people in churches who were saints, and I've met several devils who attended church as well. I've learned to be very discerning.
Marie--I hope by now your home is back in order. I can't live with disarray for too long.
Marilyn--the hammock chair sounds inviting. Chalk one up for the Dude.
Bunny--if I could make a living pet-sitting, I think I'd have a happy job. Animals are so much easier to get along with than co-workers.
I've been busy all day and haven't had a chance to use my nebulizer today and I keep coughing so I think it's time for me to use it. It does help somewhat with my breathing.
Pleasant dreams,
Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2015 :  9:29:35 PM  Show Profile
Dear Iris Goddesses,

Thank you Bunny and Holly. All is well. The windows are opened and the chaos is almost under control. Lowell loves the new refrigerator as do I. The freezer is bigger and the door is deeper. It is all good.

Our family was Catholic. My family went to church out of obligation and duty. After we received confirmation, my parents didn't require us to go to catechism. One Sunday, my dad had to wear his dress Army National Guard uniform to church because he had drill right afterwards. That was the day the priest decided to give his virulent anti-military sermon. My dad was insulted and never went back. I do have a problem with some of the most conservative teachings of any religion. I believe that mythology is an attempt of any society to explain the mysteries of life and nature. Some of these stories are more interesting than others. I do not claim to belong to any religion preferring to take the best of all religions as my theology but, if I were pressed, I would say I were Buddhist. It seems to have the best grasp of humility, tolerance and empathy.

I haven't gotten my garden totally finished yet. It's been raining so much here.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2015 :  12:22:53 PM  Show Profile
Cindy --- I just have to repeat what you said because I found it very pithy -- I think religion is for people who think Heaven is a place in the sky, and spirituality is for people who believe that Heaven is a place in the heart. Thank you so much for sharing that.

This picture is kind of dark, but I am anxious to get this work day done so I can go home and climb back into my new chair :) Yes, the Dude is a keeper!

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2015 :  4:32:54 PM  Show Profile
Good evening Iris Goddess sisters,

I do like the words of Cindy. Maybe we should make a t shirt.

Today I worked on the greenhouse. I finished the side walls.

I need to put the cross piece on the front now to hold up the front of the roof.

Then I will put on the rafters and cut the side walls so they slant to the back to fit under the roof.

The rosa rugosa are in bloom.

I have two spinach plants that are bolting and the leaves are hardly big enough to eat. I have more seeds to plant later in the season so maybe they will do better with cooler weather.

chives are always pretty.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2015 :  05:51:42 AM  Show Profile
Holly, I like the pictures, especially the rosa rugosa. Such a pretty flower. Looks like the greenhouse is coming along nicely.

Marilyn, I have chair envy for sure. You look so comfy and content. I agree with everyone else, Dude is a keeper.

I'm off to another busy day. Now that the bee crisis is over we need to get a lot of mowing done and the only time is early before the heat gets so bad. We are in the dog days of summer now.

Have a good day everyone.
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2015 :  11:13:08 AM  Show Profile
Our wild roses look exactly the same as yours, Holly. Nothing from a florist beats their scent!
Mar
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2015 :  11:28:03 AM  Show Profile
Holly, I loved your new pictures! Lots of work in that greenhouse. It just looks so beautifully rustic. The wild roses are our state flower here in Iowa. Ours just started blooming last week. 2 weeks early for northern Iowa. My onion and garlic chives have bloomed and are going to seed. To me they are as pretty as any seed. I am snipping them into tiny bits and freeze them in 2tbls. packets. That way I can use them all year in cooking and they are like fresh. Tried drying them once. Looked like dry grass and unappetizing. I gift bags of the little packets since I have so many chive clumps. Thanks for the photos.

Farmgirl sister #3926

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1401 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1401 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2015 :  2:30:28 PM  Show Profile
Just returned home after 10 days with DBF (high school sweetie) and it's good to be home. I've been living alone for so long that it is hard to get used to having someone around all the time. Home now until the last week in June when I visit my sister in Wenatchee. Then it is back to the lake with DBF for the 4th of July with his family. It is a lot of fun, but trying to remember names of all the folks is a real challenge. I have done well so far.

Betty in Pasco

Edited by - Betty J. on Jun 13 2015 2:30:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2015 :  4:14:13 PM  Show Profile
Holly, as usual, the pictures are amazing. Love the green house. Looking forward to seeing it all done. You amaze me!

GG, glad the bees are gone. Time to move on to other issues. At least you aren't bored.

Betty, nice to see you again! Glad things with high school sweetheart are working out.

Judith, glad you checked in! We miss all of you lurkers that use to post! We are a nosy bunch!

Just sewed all day. Got a little overwhelmed with all the projects needing to be dealt with. But I did get one dress finished and three pet beds finished for the local shelter.
Tomorrow.. do I make more dresses, make postcards, scarves..jeans.. So many projects so little energy.
Monday is the first day to start putting a new online store together. www.upcycledpost.com
I"m really hoping it does well. A few of my items I posted just to see what the action would be have over 1000 views each. Much better than Etsy. But will it translate into sales. They are really stepping up the marketing. Plus, because I participated in the Beta store, I get two months free. It should help me see if this is going to do well for me.

I had to work on Friday. My boss called me and was so overwhelmed with a big project she needed done that day. So I went in and saved the day. So I get Monday off instead. Which is wonderful because I was wondering how I was going to have the time to put my new store together.

The weather here is wonderful today. I have the basement windows open and the kitties are going in and out like little kids.

Well, back to work!!

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2015 :  4:15:46 PM  Show Profile
The www.upcyclepost.com store will not be up until July 1 BTW

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2015 :  6:36:14 PM  Show Profile
Good evening eveyrone,

This is try number three.

I guess I need to remember to buy some snack size bags to put a few Tablespoons of chopped chives into the freezer. I thought I had to put them in some water in an ice cube tray and freeze them. I do not have any ice cube trays and have not remembered to buy any of those either. The little boys have figured out that a plastic ziploc bag makes a nice pop if you blow it up and smash it down.

We had a very lovely day here in the Green Mountains. Not too hot or maybe it might have been if the wind had not been so stiff.

Here is a promethea moth that dsG found in the mud room and I moved outside. It is a female.

This is a white rimmed wood snail. It is about an inch across. Identification books are so wonderful.

I think in the first two tries at posting I had more words of wit but now I can not remember what they were or what they referenced. so, I hope each of you had moments of joy today.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Tapestry
True Blue Farmgirl

1223 Posts

Cheryl
Wisconsin
USA
1223 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2015 :  01:06:52 AM  Show Profile  Send Tapestry a Yahoo! Message
Good morning lovely ladies of the over 50's group :)
I've been gone so long that I will forever be reading pages of posts. It's nice to see many familiar names and wonderful pictures of your gardens and projects. Not sure when I last posted but this past Winter wasn't kind to me. I fell in my kitchen the end of January and dislocated and fractured my right ankle requiring surgery. I spent the next 2 1/2 months in a nursing home physical therapy unit learning to walk again. I'm home now and pretty well healed. I'm able to walk with a cane and just an ace wrap on my ankle. I was supposed to get a special support boot I was measured/fit for but the stupid thing is taking so long to get here I don't even think I need it anymore. I've done a bit of crocheting for nurse friends and a neighbor who all seem to be pregnant at the same time so I'm kept myself busy during the months of healing. No garden for me this year. Just not able to do all of the bending over and weeding. I have just one small raised bed but it will have to wait until next year. I had a new grandson born last Dec.4th so now I have 2 grandsons :) The oldest will be 6 on Tuesday. He's coming to see me Monday for a bit to keep me company and get his birthday card with a bit of cash. Still not up to doing a lot of shopping/walking around yet but I'm sure he'll be okay with money. What kid isn't? I'll try to post a couple pictures of my latest projects if I can remember how to do that. LOL
It's nice to see all of your names and you made me smile :)

Happy farmgirl sister #353

Look for rainbows instead of mud puddles

http://pinterest.com/ctapestry/

http://tapestrysimaginings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Tapestry
True Blue Farmgirl

1223 Posts

Cheryl
Wisconsin
USA
1223 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2015 :  01:09:36 AM  Show Profile  Send Tapestry a Yahoo! Message
And another......

Happy farmgirl sister #353

Look for rainbows instead of mud puddles

http://pinterest.com/ctapestry/

http://tapestrysimaginings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2015 :  08:37:57 AM  Show Profile

Edited by - doll58maker on Sep 18 2019 7:56:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2015 :  09:57:56 AM  Show Profile
Cheryl, welcome back! So sorry about the body not playing along. Hopefully you will mend up and be back in shape in no time.
Precious little guy you have there. Looks like you have had lots of time on your "hands". The afghans are beautiful.

GG, I bet you and B will be happy with a rest. Centipedes huh...no thank you! I'll pass. I bet all the creepy crawlers party there while you are gone.

It's back to the basement today for me. I'm going to finish up some fabric postcards and then work on a few simple dresses. I'm hoping to fit in starting on a few pairs of jeans so I can finish them up tomorrow.
I did have another sale yesterday morning. Still very slow. I'll be on the computer most of tomorrow though.

Btw, Holly, the moth is beautiful!

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2015 :  10:00:19 AM  Show Profile
Oh, my youngest spent the weekend in Virginia. He loved it. Said we should move there! Clarke County. He said he met a girl (of course) and his new friend at work goes up there every other weekend. It is a 5 hour drive.

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 408 Gathered Up: Previous Topic Over 50 Farmgirls Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly