Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - May 24 2015 :  08:16:45 AM  Show Profile
GG, sorry about all the rude Californiains. We aren't all bad though. Have a little pity. The powers that be in California are working hard to destroy any ability to make a living there. The sales tax alone is about 9%. Add local taxes and it can go over 10%. Gas is the most expensive there even though there are refineries everywhere. We won't even talk about the water. Then there is real estate. A small two bedroom ranch house is easily over $400,000. Young people just can't survive anymore. Hopefully after they have been there for a while they will mellow out. If you had to deal with the traffic there, you would learn that being pushy is the only way to get anywhere. And finally, every state seems to have their rude Californians. They come and raise the real estate costs and take jobs. But they are simply victims of bad state management and silicone valley greed.

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com
Handmade stuff http://www.curiousorangecat.etsy.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - May 24 2015 :  08:39:08 AM  Show Profile

Edited by - doll58maker on Sep 18 2019 7:39:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - May 24 2015 :  08:45:05 AM  Show Profile
Bunny, if you were to set up online sewing classes, I would sign up.
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - May 24 2015 :  08:45:10 AM  Show Profile
GG, didn't you take a bee keeping class? Have you contacted your teacher? I would think with all the scares of disappearing bees, someone would have a solution for you. Maybe a local exterminator would have a contact.

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - May 24 2015 :  08:45:48 AM  Show Profile
Scary about your daughter and the rain. I hope her house gets through it ok.

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - May 24 2015 :  08:49:26 AM  Show Profile
GG, have you called these guys?

Kinser beekeeping
They are located in Austin.

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - May 24 2015 :  08:51:51 AM  Show Profile
We did take a beekeeping class and we called our instructor. He said he didn't rescue hives any more. He said spray them with warm soapy water to kill them. We learned from his class that you have to remove the queen before the colony will leave. We contacted the bee removal group for the state and they said they would send someone out from Austin, minimum cost $300 and we have to repair any damage to the house, and no guarantee of success. So that's why we are studying bee removal ion YouTube. This isn't covered in class. We know the mechanics of how it is done and I'm ordering bee keeping suits for us. The old adage, if you want something done right, do it yourself.......
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - May 24 2015 :  08:55:38 AM  Show Profile
Sounds like fun....not!
Too bad it costs so much! I would think there was an organization with volunteers. Good luck. What do you do with the queen? Can you relocate her to a tree or something?

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - May 24 2015 :  08:57:29 AM  Show Profile
Regarding Californians and other things I take a shot at, after four years you gals don't need me to post the smiley faces and lols to know when I'm just using my sarcastic sense of humor. Didn't mean to step on any toes.
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - May 24 2015 :  09:02:09 AM  Show Profile
Have you checked out this site...

Beeremovelsource.com

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - May 24 2015 :  09:03:37 AM  Show Profile
I'm a lifelong Californian and you didn't hurt my feelings. No worries. I've met a few ugly Californians myself.

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - May 24 2015 :  09:04:10 AM  Show Profile
Well, first we set up a new hive. Then we collect the bees from where we want to get rid of them. All of them possible, including the comb. You can develop a keen eye to recognize the queen, but often you never see her. So you hope you've got her in the bunch. Then all goes into the new hive, which you leave near the old hive, in the hopes that all the worker bees will realize where their queen is and move in with her. Then you take the new hive to its new home and hope they like it enough to stay. Then you plug up all the holes in your house, after you have made sure to remove any comb, honey, evidence, etc. it is quite a big job.
Wild bees are unpredictable. Here they often have the killer bee dna as well. So it's a tricky thing.
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - May 24 2015 :  09:05:56 AM  Show Profile

Edited by - doll58maker on May 27 2015 09:47:46 AM
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - May 24 2015 :  10:46:38 AM  Show Profile
Well, I knew you couldn't have been talking about ME. I'm just a delight even if I was born and raised in CA. (Insert smiley faces, rolling eyes, raspberries here.)
Mar
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - May 24 2015 :  10:47:38 AM  Show Profile
Seriously, good luck with the bees. I know you can do it. I wish there was someone else who would.
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - May 24 2015 :  11:59:26 AM  Show Profile
I'm only talking about the Californians who move here. You've already said you wouldn't touch Texas with a ten foot pole, so you are not on the list, darling Mar.
Right back atcha.

Edited by - doll58maker on May 24 2015 12:00:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - May 24 2015 :  1:33:45 PM  Show Profile
G--sorry about the flooding in Texas. I would imagine the ground was so dry after the drought that the water didn't soak into it like it does around here. Plus we have more trees, and trees soak up a lot of water through their roots. But I know well the damage flooding can cause--I was here during the flood of '93, and you can still see some of the damage it caused. My brother in Dallas said it has been raining a lot there. I chalk it all up to climate change, disruption, whatever you want to call it. I've seen films on what is happening to the ice at the poles and it's scary. I hope you can safely remove the bees. I had a hive in a tulip tree in my backyard but it was up so high I didn't know it was there till they started cutting the tree down (it was old and hollow). They cut out the section of the trunk where the hive was and contacted some beekeepers who came and took it away. I don't know if the bees survived over the winter but I hope they did. I just know I didn't want to kill them.
Holly--wish you could send some of that cool weather here. It's been in the 80's the past few days. I went to the March Against Monsanto yesterday in St. Louis and my arms got sunburned. I was wise enough to wear a broad-brimmed hat and sunglasses and I carried my water bottle with me. There weren't as many people there this year as last year, probably because of the holiday weekend. Monsanto tries to make itself out to be supportive of the environment but their pesticides are largely responsible for the demise of the bees and the Monarch butterflies. Plus I was reading that there is a strong correlation between the rise of herbicide use and the rise in autism. Gee, you don't think ingesting all those herbicides would be dangerous, do you? I mean, Monsanto says Round-Up is safe enough to drink. I know the man who used to oversee production of Round-Up and I betcha he wouldn't drink the stuff. Oh well, enough about that.
I'm hoping it rains today. It's cloudy and windy and hot and unsettled and that usually means rain. We had dinner at my parents' house today and now I feel stuffed. I have a three day weekend so I need to do something tomorrow, not sure what. I hope everyone is enjoying their holiday weekend. Stay safe,
Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - May 24 2015 :  5:22:06 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

The clouds moved in and the clouds moved out. It sprinkled a few times, enough to get the littles to want to go in and watch a movie. the mean old mother told them to stay outside. we did and it passed.

We brought over hay bales and made some beds in the garden. We planted all of the broccoli, cabbage and brussel sprouts. Then the chickens decided that they would scratch in the new beds so we laid fencing over the top of them until they grow big enough to not be inviting to the chickens.

Cindy I am glad you go to the protests against Monsanto. They are a nasty company for the environment.

I am sorry there is flooding. I have read stories about people who build in the flood plains of the rivers and then when there is a 50 year flood and lose everything building right back in the same place. I hope the water sinks in and fills the aquifers.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - May 24 2015 :  6:36:40 PM  Show Profile
Goddesses of the Iris,

Wouldn't you know? My irises are blooming now that I am out of town. I'll get you some pictures when I return.

We all went out to a Mexican restaurant and just got back. Hayley, Lowell and I do not feel all that good. I had two large glasses of pop so I believe that is my problem. The food wasn't all that good, you know, chain Mexican. I did have chicken with mole (mo-lay) sauce and that was yummy.

Denny and Lois, two of Lowell's relatives, came over to talk about the situation with Lowell's brother Brian. No one in the family has spoken with him for about 5 years. He changed his phone number and email address. At least we all know where he lives and works. Denny told us that many of the relatives are wondering about Brian and Roger, the dad, is worried about legal issues regarding the trust. Everyone is really sad not to have contact with Brian. Roger just wants to know why he is behaving like this. Lowell doesn't want to go to Brian's place and talk to him. Hayley said that she would go along. I hope all this can be straightened and the family can have Brian back.

That's the new from Lake Woebegone, where all the women are strong, the men are good-looking and the children are about average.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - May 24 2015 :  7:20:10 PM  Show Profile
The flooding is incredible. I hope your daughter's house stays high and dry and her area recovers nicely, G. It has been a very active spring in the middle of the nation. So many tornados and then freak snow in the east. So much rain down south... Is it worse than usual or my imagination? I don't remember there being 20 or 30 tornadoes every day for weeks on end!

I brought in three of my roses today for Mom. She was so delighted it made me feel wonderful. The color of the roses is peach and very pretty. I am glad I could share them. BTW, Holly, Mom also wanted me to be sure and let you know how much she has enjoyed the narcissus. They have scented her place so nicely and she had never seen them before. (San Diego isn't a big bulb growing area.)

Today I saw the cutest little bunny on the lawn. With a perfect white cottontail. tiny little ears. Just adorable. A friend stopped by and told me of the destruction rabbits did to her garden last year. We will trap and relocate the cute little bunny to the more wooded area of the property. Maybe make the sign of the cross when we release him...Mazel Tov.

Do you remember about a month back I pondered what the difference between crows and ravens might be. Well, now I know. I thought I had a murder, but I have an unkindness. We have a pair of ravens, apparently a couple. They have been hanging around a long time and they have been getting less timid around me because I am in the yard so much. Dh told me he thought they were stalking me... We started feeding them. Their nest is in a very tall fir tree right out our kitchen window. They are very big birds. They will eat almost anything. They aren't crazy about strawberries, but they took care of a few slugs for me... Dh built a screen-bottomed feeder for them that he attached to the fence between the garden and the paddock. I can see it from the kitchen and the sunroom and I really get a kick out of watching these big ol' birds. So does Dh. Mom made some salmon balls (gag). The birds ate them. (Thank you!) I dry heaved just putting them out for them. Dh mistakenly bought a beef and bean burrito and they ate that. They like dog kibble, but not horse grain. They will let me get very close, but not dh yet. The birds won't let dh get close, I mean. Dh will let me get close.

So, at this point our dear neighbor A named one of them Midnight and I named the other Mayhem. That was back when I thought we had a murder. We call them Mid and May for short. They recognize the sound of the garage door opening and come to their feeder.

Mar
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - May 24 2015 :  8:12:21 PM  Show Profile
GG, online sewing lessons... Is that a hint? I would need a camera person. Too many angles are needed to do it properly. I have thought about it. It kind of overwhelms me. I have so many things I want to do but just don't have enough energy in the day to do them all. Besides, the camera does not love me.

Mar, I'm a little dense here regarding the murder versus the unkindness. Help me out here. I'm thinking there is a literary reference here. I get the ravens but not the crows. But somehow pet ravens sounds right up your alley.

Marie, too bad about Lowells brother. But maybe he just didn't feel the rest of the family were positive influences in his life. Hope they can work something out though.
I can't eat green sauce at Mexican restaurants. Gives me the trotts something terrible.

I did ok in the sewing room today. I tried to copy a jean skirt design I found on Pinterest and ended up with something totally different and original. However, I used a very large pair of jeans to practice on. Probably a size 18 or 20. I do get plenty of searches for plus size clothing so hopefully they will sell.
I'll try to get a picture of them this week sometime.

Tomorrow I'm making strawberry jam with a friend. I'm not a big fan of strawberry jam. I'm more of a raspberry girl myself. But I helped her last year and I think since she lost her job, she has been a bit lonely. She is around 30 years old. Close to the age of my oldest son.
Visited my kitty across the river. Such a peaceful place. I did t want to come home. I wish I had a tiny house on wheels or an RV to park in her yard.

Anyway, hope everyone is enjoying their weekend.

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - May 24 2015 :  8:17:56 PM  Show Profile
This is what I want to live in.

Not the best picture ...

And the inside...

I would have to sleep in a loft. My biggest issue is sewing space. But I would figure something out.

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - May 24 2015 :  8:52:18 PM  Show Profile

Edited by - doll58maker on Sep 18 2019 7:42:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - May 24 2015 :  8:58:05 PM  Show Profile
GG, so sad about the missing families and the houses. Mother Nature is on the warpath it seems. So many lives torn apart.

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - May 24 2015 :  9:17:03 PM  Show Profile
Cindy, this is what I got from The White House:

Responding to Concerns About the EPA's Approval of Enlist Duo

Thank you for your participation on the We the People petition platform, and for speaking out on an issue that is of importance to you. The White House shares your commitment to protecting human health, especially the health of children and their families.

We understand that the use of pesticides on food crops can be concerning. That's why the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) reviews the science on safety as part of its standard practice in the review of chemicals, including the Enlist Duo herbicide combination.

The EPA has determined that the herbicides used in the Enlist Duo are safe based on scientific evidence. We support science-based regulatory determinations, and it would be inappropriate for the White House to intervene in this science-based decision-making process by the EPA, as a 2009 Presidential Memorandum on scientific integrity makes clear.

For more information, please see details from the EPA below.

Thank you for your continued interest and participation.

From the EPA:

The Enlist Duo system makes use of two herbicides, 2,4-D and glyphosate, that are both already approved by the EPA for use in the United States and are among the most widely used herbicides in the world. While both herbicides have long been approved for use on corn and soybean fields before the seeds sprout, the new Enlist Duo system will enable the 2,4-D herbicide to be used on these crops when the plants are more mature.

EPA scientists evaluated the existing scientific research data and determined that there is no determinable link between the 2,4-D herbicide and non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, thyroid and reproductive problems, or Parkinson's disease. Furthermore, the USDA has concluded that genetically modified corn and soybeans -- the other part of the Enlist Duo system -- pose no more environmental risk than crops that are not modified through genetic engineering. And there is no evidence that the engineered crops pose any greater risk to human health than non-engineered lines.

The EPA is an independent agency whose decisions are driven by the expert determinations reached by its teams of scientists and environmental protection specialists. EPA and USDA scientists determined that the Enlist Duo system is safe based on current scientific evidence.

Tell us what you think about this response.

WELL, LADIES, I DID TELL THEM WHAT I THINK! But I can't print it here.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 408 Gathered Up: Previous Topic Over 50 Farmgirls Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page