Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2015 :  10:28:51 AM  Show Profile
Oh man! That floor is to die for. Is he going to let you park on it? You will be the envy of the neighborhood. The truck is an extra cab!!! You scored big-time, I'd say. Your neighborhood looks nice and green.

Farmgirl #6318
"Where there's a will -- there's probably a family fight."
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2015 :  11:38:08 AM  Show Profile
Lusting after your garage floor. I really like the color. And I so miss having a truck. It sure looks nice, g.

Marilyn, so cool to have something in common with the artist. Out friend on Pittsburgh said it was showing yesterday. Hate those last minutes weather switches.

Cindy, I appreciate your nutrition/health tips, too. And I don't think I've acknowledged how interesting I find them. Thanks for sharing them. I love my drinks so hot they hurt! I hate to have my first few sips interrupted.

Got the six month check on the car out of the way. Of course, we've already had our first flat on it.At about two thousand miles! It was a bummer, but it was repairable.

Mar
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2015 :  1:14:15 PM  Show Profile
holy auto correct.

Our friend in Pittsburgh said it was snowing...
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2015 :  5:01:48 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

I like the nutrition tips and the other tips as well. I think I need to put a little notepad by my laptop so when one of you says something I can write it down. Try as hard as I might I can not remember the names of the items.

What is left of the weathervane on top of the cupola.

visitors on our pond. A pair of mallard ducks. I find it so interesting that the female is hardly visible from the colors and the pond ripples. I do not know if they will stay and nest. I would like to see baby ducks.

female purple finch. the females arrived almost a week earlier than the males. Look how steady I held the camera with the lens out so far to get a picture that looks like a bird and not a blob.

See we have flowers too. Well, one anyway. the stick next to it will be a rosa rugosa.

I just spoke to C about the oatmeal idea. Some mornings I make her a scrambled egg and oddities burrito to take with her to work. She likes that. Some mornings I do not get up to do that. She has high cholesterol controlled by medication so it is not so high now. She said she does not like the little bits of oatmeal but she does like the flat oatmeal with nuts and dried fruit so maybe we can try that.

She eats treats at work and that is her weight gain issue. When she does not eat treats at work her weight slowly descends. I forget she is a treat eater and can hardly resist them.

NIce truck. is it 4WD? It is hard to tell with the black trim on the sides. The floor is very nice. I am almost jealous. but, if I ever had one It would be one more surface I would feel bad about not keeping clean so I am just as glad to have a dirt garage.

Sweet dreams.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2015 :  6:43:23 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Mar and M. Great pics, Holly, I love the one of the ducks. Catching the light the way you did takes an artist's eye. Is that a purple crocus? We don't have them here but in NE Georgia we did. So nice to see the pretty colors against the grey of winter. Gives one hope that spring really will come

GG

Edited by - doll58maker on Feb 10 2016 6:02:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2015 :  9:04:47 PM  Show Profile
I feel kinda subdued tonight. This morning, at the SW corner of the hospital property, a double semi trailer broadsided an SUV driven by the daughter of a woman who works at the hospital. The daughter was killed instantly, and it happened shortly before her mother was to arrive for work. so her mother came upon the accident scene and realized it was her daughter's SUV. I can't imagine how that must feel. She's one of the nicest people you can imagine and for this to happen....it just isn't fair. I think there are three granddaughters. When I read the article in the paper, it mentioned that when the SUV was loaded onto the flatbed tow truck, three Easter baskets with three stuffed bunnies fell out of the SUV. It just breaks your heart. The police are trying to determine how the semi came to hit the SUV. There's an intersection there with lights, and if he ran the light...well, I hope they throw the book at him. I guess we won't know till the police finish the investigation. It's just so sad. That's all I can say right now.
Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2015 :  10:38:41 PM  Show Profile
Cindy, how terrible! So sad for that family to lose their mom and daughter. Prayers for them.

GG, your new wheels are very nice! I'm afraid if I had a garage like that, it would turn into a sewing studio for sure.

Holly, as usual, awesome pictures. You do such a wonderful job.
Good idea on the note pad for all the great health ideas. I end up scrolling back forever to try to find something I want to read about again.

The weather cooled off today. It was kind of nice. I'm not a fan of hot weather. My hot flashes do enough of that for me.
I'm working alone tomorrow at the store. I have been sewing pants and will also man the retail store front. My boss is in meetings at the college all day. She teaches a few classes up there.

Time for bed. Nite all.

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com
Handmade stuff http://www.curiousorangecat.etsy.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2015 :  06:25:28 AM  Show Profile
I will be sending comforting thoughts for that family today, Cindy. You hear about things like this every day, but when it gets that close to home it takes on a whole different feel. I will be thinking of you, too.

GG -- the 4WD is more expensive to insure, also! Up here we DO need it, and I have been glad to have my Jeep all this time. Most of the time I just ride into town with Dude, so I don't have to deal with it one way or another, but it sure is nice to know I won't get stuck.

Bunny -- Wouldn't that make a lovely spacious studio??? And no carpet for pins to get stuck in.

Holly -- I just loved the color in the duck picture. And there's nothing like a crocus for saying "SPRING!" We had a freeze warning overnight last night and I think we have one again for tonight. As long as it doesn't get my peas, I will be glad. Of course, it's still early enough to replant everything, but who wants to do that?

Marianne -- My brother is over near Pittsburgh and posted snow videos yesterday. Sheesh! He actually lives in Longview, WA, but his wife's mum is terminally ill with cancer, so they have moved temporarily back to the farm to help the other siblings care for her in her last days. My SIL came back last summer, and when my brother retired in January, he came on back. I know it was hard for them to be apart for so long, and I know it's rough on their kids and grandkids who are all out in northern Oregon, but my SIL is the only daughter and wanted to be with her mum and help take some of the strain off her sisters-in-law.

Not feeling much above punk today. Dude and I are both fighting some kind of crud. Seems like he is about a day or two ahead of me in symptoms, so I am just hanging in there to see when he feels better. It's mostly just a respiratory thing -- runny nose, coughing, some body aches. No fevers, so we are keeping on keeping on. I do worry so much about my dear old sweetheart, though. Waited so long to find him and I really hope that we will have lots and lots of years together to just enjoy our life. I still got my walk in this morning and now I am getting warmed up and enjoying my coffee.

Happy Day, Ladies!!!

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2015 :  09:07:23 AM  Show Profile
Marilyn, I'm in northern Oregon on the Columbia River.

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2015 :  1:11:15 PM  Show Profile
And I'm a half hour south of Longview.
Mar
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2015 :  1:12:50 PM  Show Profile
Bunny, Why did I think you were a WA resident? I am just not paying enough attention. Mar
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2015 :  2:11:49 PM  Show Profile
She sounds THAT cool!

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2015 :  3:42:40 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

I forgot that or maybe never knew that crocus did not grow all over. The catalogs certainly do not give that information when they send them out. I guess I do not pay attention to the temperature parts of the map that are zones 8 or 9. The colors are so stark with the grays and browns around them.

I was wondering about the 4 WD and if it was why would you need it. There are some second hand car dealers around here who buy "southern " cars to resell and some of them have all of the bells and whistles and I wonder why? We do have 4 WD or all wheel drive on all of our vehicles. The town road crew buried the back of the dump truck in our road this morning. The road grader came and pushed it out. The road crew main guy said that happened two more times on the other side of town today. The frost has gone out of the roads and the mud is fabulous. I have not been off the hill today so see if the gravel they dumped in the road made a difference. C drives the truck to work and home so she just drove like a bat out of h**** to get past the soft spots. Just our lovely fifth season.

That is so sad Cindy. There is no way to even voice condolences to the family. I read in Dear Abby this week about a woman whose husband had died and they recommended inviting over for meals so they would not be alone. Hugs to all.

Marilyn I hope you and the Dude feel better soon. Just a spring sniffle is all. The peas should be alright. Doesn't the package say plant as soon as the ground can be worked? That means they are hardy enough to withstand frosts. Peas, spinach and beets can all be planted in the fall to over winter and come up unattended in the spring. I think they need to be covered with much to survive well. A science experiment to ponder. I am glad you like the Dude well enough.

We had snow yesterday and today. The high was 26 F today. Overcast all day long. Accumulation on the deck but not the ground. Maybe Sunday the weather guessers are hoping it will be in the fifties.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2015 :  11:22:50 AM  Show Profile
Aw, Shucks. No Marilyn wake up post. It must be Saturday. Here's hoping that you and the Dude have out ran the crud.

Holly, your crocus is so beautiful and I really had never noticed how much the female duck blended into the water before. Your photo captured it so well. I do hope you get that heatwave tomorrow.

Around this area of the country we have a lot of people who drive 4WD thinking it will help them stop. Nothing helps you stop on ice! Well, studded tires are helpful... Staying off the road is best if the weather is really that bad. This has been a long winter with so many multi vehicle pile ups in the midwest. And the tornadoes seem to be particularly plentiful this spring. Next, it will be the drought and wildfires. Just part of the change of seasons?

I watched the Bruce Jenner interview last night. I do feel badly for anyone who feels they can't live a true life. He has been a good person, athlete, husband and dad. I hope he finds his space. I thought it was very funny that the headline today was "Bruce Jenner comes out as a woman and a republican" Diane Sawyer seemed very surprised that he was a republican. He asked, "Why? I am very conservative." Funny that that was the lead quote.

Oh well. I am off to make Portuguese beans. Dh is very happy about it. Then I have to work on making new file folders with labels. ugh. I need to get my paperwork better organized. Don't feel like it. It is so not creative.

mar
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2015 :  12:22:40 PM  Show Profile

Edited by - doll58maker on Sep 18 2019 7:06:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2015 :  12:24:13 PM  Show Profile
Good.

GG
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2015 :  4:44:05 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

I despise paperwork. I am not anal retentive enough to do it well.

I volunteered at the Winooski Valley nature district plant sale today. The Winooski is a river that runs through the north central section of Vermont and empties into Lake Champlain. Anyway each February they send out a brochure that has plants and trees in it that are good for the people and good for the wild life. they need volunteers to help the customers find the plants that were ordered. I also ordered some. I bought 2 apple trees, a cherry, a plum, 2 witch hazel, several back berries, some blueberries, echinacea, swamp milk weed , blackberries and raspberries and strawberries and black walnuts. Since most of them are bare root I planted a lot of them this afternoon. Now the black walnut will not even mature for thirty years but it is the idea of growing them that intrigued me. I still have a few to plant tomorrow.

Temperatures were in the twenties with a light breeze. Some of the other volunteers did not dress warm enough and did not like the cold but we all agreed that we would rather have the cold than the poisonous snakes, chiggers and tornados. We agreed we would take a five day snow storm over tornados.

I hope you post pictures of the poppies tomorrow.

I let the pigs out into their yard today and they ran around and around. I have put big logs in their yard and they were snorfling them and rubbing on them.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2015 :  4:44:52 PM  Show Profile
Cindy, I can not imagine a more horrific thing for a mother to go through. Any word on how the family is doing? I hope the workplace will be kind to the woman in terms of giving her the time off that she needs . What a sad story.

Edited by - doll58maker on Sep 18 2019 7:07:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2015 :  07:40:45 AM  Show Profile
Holly - you are so right about the weather trade-offs! I went to HS in southern Indiana, and we had chiggers and tornadoes - I hated both. Here in SE PA we have deer ticks pretty bad, so we have to watch for them, but we don't get nearly the severe weather that the Midwest does. it can get hot and humid in the summer, but it's not that bad. Everywhere has something.

Mar - Ha - I gues living so far to the east, my posts are like a horrible jangling alarm clock! I did go into town yesterday, but just to help out with the YMCA Healthy Kids Day uptown. They had booths with healthy eating games and free stuff for the kids to do all sponsored by the dentists and doctors, etc. We were helping out with the Rotary club - I got my walk in for sure, up and down Third Street handing out backpack tote bags. It was fun to watch the little kids doing the obstacle course and the climbing wall. Then we had a very unhealthy but delicious Mexican lunch and came home!

I slept all the way to almost 8:00 this morning! That was a treat. Then I got out and planted the last of the peas and snow peas and the second planting of the salad garden. Thinned the kale and the radishes and the first of the peas. I have laundry going - can't decide whether I want to run to Lowe's for more plants for the pots or stay here and bake some bread. I think I will see what Dude wants to do - he is out building a new surround for the septic head. We had it pumped out on Thursday and he wants to have it all boxed in and accessible for next time. He keeps making comments about making things easier on me for after he's gone - I just HATE when he talks that way...grrrr.

My twin great-grandsons turn 3 today. They are in Washington, so I have only met them once, but my granddaughter puts lots of pix on Facebook soi can see them. Sometimes I wish I had stayed put for my whole life.

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2015 :  10:14:36 AM  Show Profile
Made some butter. Cleaned up THAT mess, which it always is, but so worth it. Doing laundry. Took lunch outside in the sun with Dude - saw a pair of bluebirds building in the garden birdhouse. Getting ready to start bread. Enjoying the heck out of this sunny sunny Sunday.

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2015 :  11:28:51 AM  Show Profile
Sister Goddesses of the Iris,

Lowell did a very bad, disruptive thing yesterday. He downloaded an updated version of Windows 8. This caused everything connected to the wifi not to work: my laptop and the Roku. I had to call Geek Squad and they fixed it up so that at least the desktop works now. The laptop needs a new operating system download because the one my brother gave me is no longer valid. F***! That will be $100 and a lot of messing around. SH**! I HATE THIS!!! Lowell just doesn't understand how interconnected everything is.

Lowell also bought ANOTHER guitar. WHEN WILL IT END???????? I should just go in the bedroom and hide. Maybe I'll scream first.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2015 :  3:03:47 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone one,

It was ten degrees warmer today than yesterday. The clouds were still in the sky. This afternoon was sort of balmy. This morning was cool but a good temperature for running the chain saw to clean up the log lengths in the front yard. I cut a for a tank of gas. It was all my winter weakened back could handle. lol In the afternoon we finished planting the apple trees and bushes. So, I misspoke yesterday. I did not purchase any witch hazel at the plant sale. I will have to remember to do so next year.

Marie I hate it when that happens. I do not try anything like that on any of the machines at our house. I would not know how to do it and I would rather run an antique program than risk shutting down the system. Well, If Lowell dies you will have a retirement account in his guitars.

We have a blue plastic barrel over our septic tank cover. I have thought of making a wooden cover to sit on it but have not put it on any kind of priority list. It does make it easier for the pumper guy to suck the poo.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2015 :  4:58:00 PM  Show Profile
Good afternoon everyone. I was productive today in the sewing room. Here are dresses I finished last week and today.

I wore the last one (black with lace around the collar) to work with black jeans the other day. It looked decent on me. I still could lose a bunch of weight and look good in it. I really wish I could fit in the Haight Ashbury dress! Alas, about a 40lb loss would do it.

Nice weather today but cold. I'm in the basement and it is cold down here with only my hot flashes to keep me warm. Sweater on... sweater off..... sweater on ... and so on.

My poor younger son (the Marine) is house and dog sitting for one of his sargents. He got home today after work and the dog had destroyed the couch. He has already destroyed Jesse's pillows and pillowcases I sent him. He bought him a bunch of chew toys at the pet store a few days ago and the poor dog has already gone through them. He was told the dog has seperation anxiety. But what can he do when he has to work 8 to 14hr days. Duty is 24hrs. He is calling the sargent today to talk to him about it. He already has a friend that has a couch he wants to get rid of and offered it to the sargent. Anyway, Jesse just had to call to vent.

Older son Ash went scuba diving in Monterey out on a boat today. He is studying to be a divemaster. Kind of a helper to the dive instructor.

Marie, so sorry the upgrades have wrecked havoc with your systems. Bad Lowell... bad bad Lowell. Sounds like someone will be served canned soup for a while. Too many guitars!
I like Holly's comment about inheriting Lowell's guitars. Tell him that... just keep on buying them dear. I need the retirement money!

Marilyn, making butter! Such a farmgirl. Big mess huh....I'll pass.

Anyway time to take a rest for the day. Netflix and Hulu are calling my name.

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2015 :  09:49:07 AM  Show Profile
Oh Bunny! I love the bear hug dress!!! What size is it?

Holly -- The comment about your winter-weakened back struck a chord with me. I thinned the kale and radishes yesterday, which meant bending over, which I should KNOW is a bad idea!!! I laid in the bed moaning and groaning all night -- and not in a good way, ha ha ha. This time of year is a reminder of how much I should be doing all winter that I don't do. So what smart thing did I do this morning on my day off? I went out and bought more bedding plants. Oh well -- SPRING!!!

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 408 Gathered Up: Previous Topic Over 50 Farmgirls Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page