3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2015 :  5:02:55 PM  Show Profile
Fellow Goddesses,

I am having a GREAT time!

I went out to eat at The Black Forest, a German restaurant just two blocks away.

http://www.blackforestinnmpls.com/

I used to go here when I was in college. I had the beef roulade, onion rings, a Czech beer and an apple strudel libation (yummy). I talked with some of the regulars. I then stayed up until 3:00 AM watching Law & Order: SVU because I COULD. HA! The doggies were sitting by me so nicely. Good times.

Speaking of doggies, here they are sitting together.

Here is Mitzi after she got back from the beauty shop.

Here is Morgan after his trip to the barber shop.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2015 :  04:35:40 AM  Show Profile
That new do will be so much easier for him to keep clean and neat. We used to have a miniature schnauzer. He was always soooo embarrassed when he would come home from the groomer with a bow on his neck. He said really mama macho boys donot wear bows. lol.

have a good day

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2015 :  05:52:12 AM  Show Profile
GG - I never would have had the surgery if it weren't for the cataracts. I am too big a sissy for anything elective. Except wine - ha ha. Having a cataract is like having a weepy cloud over your eye all the time. Can't see and any kind of bright light makes it so much worse. The surgery is not painful and the recovery time is about nil. This lazer treatment today is even less.

Holly - Vermont must present some short-season challenges! Our frost free date is usually early May, but the peas and nasties can go in much earlier. We have a friend with a greenhouse who always shares pepper plants and tomato plants with us, so we get a good head start that way. We have good soil and southern exposure on the garden side of the house, so we are lucky here.

My eye is getting pretty numb and dilated, so I shall stop for now, Dear Goddesses of the Iris Sisterhood. Hope you all have terrific days!

Farmgirl #6318
"Where there's a will -- there's probably a family fight."
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2015 :  09:26:50 AM  Show Profile
Eye all done - vision 20/20 with good pressures. Darkness feels really good right now.

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1401 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1401 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2015 :  10:11:40 AM  Show Profile
Has anyone ever been given the chance to engage with a high school BF or crush? I've finally taken advantage of it and things are working themselves along. We both graduated in 1959 and I left my area to join the US Navy. He was not happy with that. He says my Mom didn't like him and so he never pursued our relationship. He married and was married for 49 years when his wife passed. It took me another two years or more to get in touch with him. I've been single for over 20 years and wasn't too fond of men at the time. So just this last year I sent him a Christmas card with a short message and my phone number. It has been amazing since I returned from California in January.

Just curious if any sister out there has had an interesting experience like mine. At 73 yoa, I am amazed.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2015 :  10:59:03 AM  Show Profile
Betty - my oldest brother broke up with his high school girlfriend at my mother's insistence. She was sure that he would be "trapped in an unhappy marriage." Well, he certainly was - to a different woman he met several years later and with whom he had three completely selfish (just like their mother) daughters who always seemed to think that he just shat money.

Thirty-some years later, after the girls were grown, my brother drifted out their door to drive long-haul and eventually divorced his wife. A couple of years later, he was reconnecting with his high school choir and senior class and happened upon the old girlfriend. Fast forward ... They have been very happily married for about 6 years now and are finally enjoying the life they could have had together ( or not - who knows). Point is...things like that happen and I wish the very best for you. And thank you for serving.

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1401 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1401 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2015 :  11:26:07 AM  Show Profile
Thank you, Marilyn for sharing your story, or your brother's. My Mom thought I was too smart for him. I may have been smart as in book smart, but he always had lots of other smarts too. I wish I could visit with the Long Island Medium and find out why my mother had it in for him. I wasn't allowed to even date until the end of my Senior year--and now I are one! My sister and I have talked long and hard about that situation and we can't figure it out either.

I'm so glad things turned out well, but late, for your brother. I hope he continues to be happy with his choices. At least he only married one gal, then the right one. I married three men and all were bad choices for me.

Life is good and getting better.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2015 :  11:48:41 AM  Show Profile
Betty - my mother was (and still tries to be) very controlling over my relationships - especially with the other gender. I found out much too late to help our relationship that she had been molested at least twice when she was growing up. Looking back, I can see that those things made her the way she was, and she could never get by them enough to realize how good her life was and that she couldn't undo what happened to her by over-protecting me. Once I finally knew the truth, it made her so much easier to understand. Not easier to deal with, mind you, but easier to understand. Not saying this is the case with your situation, obviously, but that's what I found out about my mother.

Sometimes I hear her voice coming out of my mouth - the constant negative diatribe, the dread of what's coming, the fear of interacting with other people - it is hard work for me to not channel her in her worst moments. She had so many good qualities, and I try really hard to just "be" those parts of her, you know?

I married my high school sweetheart at 16. We had a wonderful daughter and then divorced after 15 years - all my fault...I always felt that I was being punished for being pregnant. He was really a great guy, but I was too young and just not a grown-up. Bother I married an older guy who I thought would take care of me and provide me with some stability. We were together for over 20 years, until I decided I just didn't want to deal with his infidelities. Stupid stupid me for taking so long to wake up.

And now I am with His Dudeness. We are both old enough to have plenty of history and plenty of experience and we try to be very honest with one another. A friend of mine often quotes "It is wonderful to be someone's first love, but even better to be their last,". That is where we are. Sounds like you have the chance to be both!!!

I am a Washingtonian myself - born in Seattle at Swedish Hospital.

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1401 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1401 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2015 :  12:04:02 PM  Show Profile
I don't think my mother was molested, but she was impossible to deal with. I didn't speak with her the last five years of her life. Probably a mistake on my part. As far as she was concerned, I could never do anything right. She didn't like the way I raised my kids, didn't like the homes I bought, didn't like the way I dressed, didn't like me coloring my hair, and on and on. As you said, you catch yourself sounding like your mother--well, me too. Between me and my BF (a 76 year old guy), we have 56 years to catch up on. It's been an amazing journey so far.

Thank you so much for sharing your story. I'm glad to hear you are happy and it will probably get better as it goes.

He has three grown children and I have two boys. I have met one daughter and I liked her immediately. She has wisdom I wish I had learned as a youngster and she takes really good care of her Dad from a distance mostly. She said to me that she was taking good care of him to set a good example for the rest of her family in the hopes that it would be returned to her some day. I hope so too. My boys are also watching out for me and don't want me hurt again.

Thanks again for sharing. It is a rewarding life we are living. BTW I don't think I have been to your hometown in PA, but I have crossed the state both ways. I lived in Syracuse, NY for two years and the winters were dreadful.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2015 :  2:58:30 PM  Show Profile
Betty--here's a story for you: my neighbor who lived up the road was a very popular girl in high school. She dated a boy whom her mother felt was "too smooth talking". so she broke up with him. She went to college (where she was also popular) and was the bridesmaid at 18 of her friends' weddings over the years. Fast forward: her parents divorced (a shock to almost everyone) and she meets the guy she dated in high school. they wonder if the "magic" is still there so they go out on a date. They find they still love each other and this time, her mother tells her to go for it. So at their wedding, she had 18 mannequins wearing the 18 bridesmaid dresses and she lined them up, nine on each side. Then she walked through them wearing her wedding dress. She was in her forties when she finally married. Better late than never!
Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2015 :  4:33:21 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

Betty go for it. If you are happy and he is happy why not.

Today was cold and overcast most of the day We did school work and chores. Nothing too exciting. We had fish chowder for supper.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1401 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1401 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2015 :  5:09:02 PM  Show Profile
Thanks to all the Farmgirls for their input. Since I have made 3 choices in marriages gone bad, I promised to wait a year before making any decisions. I know I'm beyond "old," but I do want to be right in my (and his) decision. It will be good for both of us. We should really get to know each other in that amount of time. It is unfortunate that we live 140 miles from each other!

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2015 :  5:54:21 PM  Show Profile

Edited by - doll58maker on Sep 18 2019 6:19:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2015 :  6:27:19 PM  Show Profile
Marilyn, glad your surgery insider and you are mending up. It should be nice to see again.

I was a bit of a recluse in high school. I didn't fit in with any of the cliques or clubs. It was a school of very well off kids and I was the poor kid in town. I didn't have a boyfriend in high school. I se them planning the next reunion and have no desire to join in.
However, Betty, I hope your new old relationship grows into something wonderful! It is never too late. I guess everything in its own time.

What is it about mothers! I wonder if it was a sign of the times. You all know how I feel about mine. My grandmother was worse. At least on my mothers side. My fathers mother was a wonderful grandmother but I learned she was very hard on my aunt who was the only one of her children to survive.

I can only hope my kids have a better relationship with me when I get old and crochety.

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com
Handmade stuff http://www.curiousorangecat.etsy.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1401 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1401 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2015 :  8:12:25 PM  Show Profile
Bunny, as a mother you probably learned from what you considered "wrong" in your mother's behavior. I know I tried to raise my two boys the best I could with what I knew at the time. My youngest wants nothing to do with family. I have no idea why, but he will have to live with it. He lives closest to me. My firstborn lives in California and we talk quite a bit, even though that is not the same as face-to-face. He also has my only grandchild.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

Kirksmom71
True Blue Farmgirl

873 Posts

Mel
Dallas Texas
USA
873 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2015 :  8:26:04 PM  Show Profile
GG...HaHa...sister goddesses, sounds like a cult to me!! LOL

I am all for anyone who can rekindle old love affairs. Not something I would care to do though. I married my high school sweetheart but the guy I dated for 2 years before Lester dumped me by letter (good thing we didn't have texting, LOL)!! I would like to see what became of him but no desire to see him! He ended up having to get married....I guess I dodged a bullet. Chuckle,chuckle! :)

I too wonder about Jan and Ginny.....hope they are both getting along well.

Bunny....your sons will undoubtedly take care of you and know that you were kind and loving even if you get old and crochety. :)

Like GG said.......Texas thinks it's summer! 85 today.

Watched this really neat show on PBS yesterday called Americas Heartland.......the episode was all about cotton....did you know they separate the seeds out and some go to make oil and some goes to be added to cattle feed? No waste. I thought that was just amazing.

Marilyn....glad your eye surgery went well!

So sorry for those of you that have had trying relationships with your mothers. That seems just so wrong......mothers are supposed to be good examples for their girls. Shame on all of them!!!!

Marie...sounds like you had a maaaaaarvelous time, I am happy for you. And that restaurant looks neat.

My best to all,
Mel
https://www.etsy.com/shop/KirksmomsKottage
http://www.pinterest.com/kirksmom71/
Sassy City Girl with Farmgirl Fantasies!
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2015 :  9:00:13 PM  Show Profile
Ok, Holly, I have to ask this--how did you know your little dog was embarrassed--Did he blush and turn red? Too funny !!!
We've got some great writers on here now. Who knew us iris goddesses would be so funny! I get at least one good chuckle a day.

GG
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2015 :  04:07:51 AM  Show Profile
Why is it that I do NOT want to go to work today? Oh yes - it's spring!!!

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2015 :  08:17:52 AM  Show Profile
It was so beautiful and spring-like yesterday and I had a whole day off, so I really felt like sewing. Even though my sewing room has been scattered due to the remodel, I did manage to find a sewing machine that had some thread and some bobbin -- here is the result.

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1401 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1401 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2015 :  09:03:05 AM  Show Profile
I agree that mothers should not be "nasty" in any way to their children. I raised my boys single handedly and Mom always said I spoiled them. They are not in jail, have no DUI's, do not drink or smoke. Both are happily married. I could go on and on. Needless to say, I am proud of the way they turned out and Grandma should be too.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2015 :  09:04:04 AM  Show Profile
Marilyn, that is a very cute apron! I like projects that can be completed in one sitting.

GG
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2015 :  09:37:28 AM  Show Profile
That iris is a Goddess unto Herself! Thank you for sharing. His Dudeness loves irises and wants to plant some. They just look so elegant. Always make me think of my Uncle Bockie -- he grew such a lovely garden.

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2015 :  2:49:13 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Marilyn. I think that's my best shot so far. There are irises all over the neighborhood. The horticulture center here has an area devoted to irises and people take their bulbs there in the fall when they divide them, so lots of sharing going on. Apparently the deer don't like them.

Betty, I wonder if our parents even realize when they get old and cranky and negative. My mom has not always been like this. we have to let it roll off and try not to do the same thing to our kids. Easier said than done, I know. You should just live your life and not worry about what anybody thinks.

GG
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2015 :  4:27:22 PM  Show Profile
I agree with Gypsy. When I was 25, I was living with a guy. I called my parents to give them a heads up. I told my dad that I was living with a guy so if he called and a guy answered, that's what was going on and besides, Dad, I'm twenty-five and there is little you can do about it. He agreed.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2015 :  9:40:52 PM  Show Profile
Fellow Goddesses of the Iris--a friend of mine called last night and told me she was in the hospital. She'd had a very bad panic attack, was shaking, heart pounding, etc. I went to see her tonight. She's so stressed and on so much medication. I didn't get to talk much as her doctor showed up shortly after I got there. Her husband (who doesn't know anything about being emotionally supportive) was there and two women from her prayer group. I pray the dr. gets her medicines straightened out. I've been like that a long time ago, on so many meds. that it made me jumpy and nervous, then they'd have to give me a sleeping pill so I could fall asleep. She's been depressed for quite a while and like me, feels exhausted all the time. Which makes her more depressed. I found what helped me most was letting go of all the false and dumb things that people had told me about God and just getting to know God from personal experience. But it will be very hard for her to do that as the church she attends is very conservative and, as far as I'm concerned, sets impossible standards for women to live up to. I once had a book written by a mother/daughter team and it stressed that "Christian" women are supposed to be beautiful--as in physically beautiful, by wearing the right make-up, the right clothes, never swearing (oh, really?) in short like Barbie dolls only not as slutty. And of course, their purpose in life is to please their mate. Even if he's an emotional Neanderthal.
I don't think she's having a breakdown--more like a breakthrough, even if she doesn't know it yet. That's what most so-called breakdowns really are. You learn to discard a set of rules that aren't working and find a new way of looking at the world. But it can feel awful at the time, like you're dying. I hope she can find her inner Goddess and transcend the misguided notions she's been told, again and again, are "Truth". the Truth is that God loves us, even more than the way my dog loves me--if Jaxon can greet me when I come home by giving doggie kisses and wagging his tail nonstop, how much more must God love me. God comes running into the house with His paws muddy and jumps on us and almost knocks us down in His exuberance. Or Her exuberance. Show me even one pastor who is as exuberant as a loving dog. See?
I need to go to bed, been a long day.
Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 408 Gathered Up: Previous Topic Over 50 Farmgirls Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page