True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2015 :  5:22:17 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

Yesterday evening I went grocery shopping. After we put all of the groceries away I was too tired to post.

I do not know what i would do if I had to move. I have lived here since 1984. I have so much stuff and most of it is just stuff. I have only a few things I would like to take with me if I ever had to go. The rest I would just have to triage. I guess if a person moved regularly she would not have so much stuff.

The blooms are gorgeous. Mar, I realize our growing seasons are not in sync at all but we do not have enough blackberries. I guess the horses have no interest in eating them. When we had horses they would eat the rose hips off the bushes. I could not figure out whether they nipped around the thorns or just did not care if they crunched a few.

Yesterday was a beautiful tease of spring to come day. The temperature rose to 30. The roof dripped and the snow thundered off the roof. The air smelled like spring. the snow warmed up so it was sticky enough to make snow men. The littles had a great time outside. The cow ate the carrots off of their creations. Today started off at 10 F and dropped to 0 by lunch.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2015 :  6:57:04 PM  Show Profile
Yikes! I always hated days that got colder as the day went along. It was something that never happened in California where I grew up. It was always coldest when you got up and that was relative. I mean, it was an event to hit freezing temperatures. I remember it happening once. When we moved to the northeast as adults, it just amazed me to have the weather do these crazy things!! How could it be so sunny, yet cold? I learned pretty quickly that you can't just glance outside and gauge the temperature by whether the sun was out.

The horses, well at least the mare, eats the leaves off the berry bushes. They have huge thorns. Her nose gets rubbed and scraped, but she has a voracious appetite. Sunny, the blonde, doesn't bother with them. I am hoping the smaller shoots that will be coming up will be tender enough for the horses to really go after them!

Holly, the entire area has too many blackberries. We even have Blackberry Abatement Units that work along the highways. That should have given dh and I a clue that these lush green vines may be tenacious. We are trying to reclaim some of the flat dry land from the pricklebushes. That is what some of the older folks call these vines. The thorns are so big it is very difficult to pick the berries. But, they do look pretty when they bloom.

Mar
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2015 :  8:02:24 PM  Show Profile
Love all the spring pictures!
Where is use to live in California, we had a blackberry type of bush that grew wild. We use to pick them and make jam. My first husband was a bartender at this one restaurant and people would go outside and pick berries for him to make blackberry daquires (spelling)

I have had four orders yesterday and today. I was too tired today to package them up though. I'm hoping to get two of them done tomorrow after work and the rest on Saturday. Love the orders! Just don't have much energy after work for anything.

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com
Handmade stuff http://www.curiousorangecat.etsy.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2015 :  9:45:36 PM  Show Profile
I finally got the medicine I needed. My dr. cancelled my appointment for Monday and now it's rescheduled for thursday. I stopped by work and told them i was planning on coming in tomorrow. My manager said if I could only work three hours, that was OK. I went to my support group tonight and we talked about stressors. Those are events that are guaranteed to cause stress in a person's life. I currently have about seven stressors going on. No wonder I feel overwhelmed. One thing that really bothers me is that even though I see my parents almost every day, I have no say in their plans for their final wills. My oldest brother is in charge of the property should they pass and my brother in Texas is in charge of the finances. My parents are pretty well off financially--my dad prepared well for retirement. It just bothers me that I do a lot for them and have no say in anything. Cause, of course, I'm the crazy one. Even though I have the best memory of things that have happened within my family. The rest of my family denies that certain things ever happened. It's their way of protecting themselves and absolving themselves of guilt. At least I know the truth and have accepted it. I think that makes me a bit saner than them.
I've been trying to eat healthier, not only cutting back on meat, but trying meat alternatives. Who would have thought that Target has a great vegan selection of frozen foods? If you haven't seen the movie "Cowspiracy" i'd recommend that you see it. Even the FDA has come out and said that people should eat less meat, especially beef. Raising cattle is very hard on the environment. the main reason the rainforests have been burned is to provide grazing land for cattle. And the rainforests are the "lungs" of the planet. We're giving ourselves lung cancer of the Earth. I just wish people would try to live in harmony with nature instead of seeing it as something to be conquered. Cause, believe me, nature will have the last word.
I love seeing the pictures of blossoms. It's supposed to warm up here starting tomorrow. No blossoms yet, though. I have seen robins. And I've heard the mourning doves cooing. Spring is coming. I'm planning to spend next Saturday on a day of spiritual retreat. I hope the weather is nice for it. And I may try taking a yoga class at this new place that opened downtown. I love the building--it's very historical. My last PT session is tomorrow and then I hope to start walking on the treadmill again. Not only have I gained back the weight I lost last year, it's also redistributed itself in ways I don't like. Gee, it sounds like I'm feeling hopeful again. I just hope I have the energy to do these things.
Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2015 :  5:37:14 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

It sounds like the blackberry bushes are considered an invasive species. I guess there is something to be said for having such frigid weather. Some of the invasives die out or can not take over as much. We do have some that people have gatherings to remove them from an area. For example, purple loosestrife is very pretty but takes over and drives out the native species.

Cindy I bet if you had been born with an appendage between your legs then regardless of whether you are crazy you would have been part of the execution of the will. I hope your knee is not hurting all the time I have not seen cowspriracy. My dd has seen some UTube movies about raising meat and slaughtering and she was totally grossed out. She knows how we do it and helps the man who kills and skins ours so the concept is not foreign to her.

Bunny I hope the sales are steady. A relief that would be. Working at some one else's pace is surely tiring. I hope that once you get used to it you will tire less.

I do get fooled with the sunshine and the frigid temperatures now. I have learned to look out the window at the thermometer warn myself of the impending shock. Today was one of those days. Sunshine and cold. I am glad for a woodstove.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2015 :  6:27:33 PM  Show Profile
Holly--regarding the other sex--I recently saw a button that said:"If you cut off my reproductive choice, can I cut off yours?" ;0
Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2015 :  10:30:52 AM  Show Profile
Cindy, I bet that button sold out! Very clever. My MIL is of the generation that thinks men are always busier, smarter and the better choice than women. Was it mean of me to set her up with a female doctor??? Bummer. I cannot stand being spoken down to by a man. Having a degree in architecture has given me many instances to have more knowledge on a subject that a male has taken to lecturing me on. I have gotten many headaches from rolling my eyes too hard. And I can't tell you how many times people have just taken the title "architect" and substituted "interior decorator" once they see a woman. Very distressing. My college experience was being in the ten percent population of females in my major. It was stupid how difficult the experience was... I know it is better now, but not what it should be. Maybe a few more generations and we'll be ok...

Today is dh's last day of continuing education classes for his hearing dispenser license and board certification... I sure did miss him yesterday. Reminded me of all those days I spent alone. So happy to have his travel in our past. He was very sweet when he got home and told me how much he missed being with me. Dd calls us codependent. I say, "Why else do you get married?" And frankly, I don't think married is all that important. The europeans don't put a lot of value on a marriage license. I do think the idea of being married for legal reasons should be open to anyone who wants to enter into the institution though. I hope America can get that completely right soon. Dd isn't married and really the only problem I see she might run into is if her boyfriend had some medical decisions that needed to be made for him, she would have no say. (And some of you may remember who would have a say...The Neighbor!) Who, BTW, they haven't heard from since January 3rd (the Christmas call she finally returned) and they haven't seen her since December 2013. That was when they had such a huge fight at our house in Spokane that boyfriend hasn't been ok with his mother and boyfriend and dd almost broke up over the way his mother treated dd. But, I digress. So, I have mentioned the need for a POA for boyfriend's medical wishes. (I still want control over my dd's medical care so I didn't bring up the fact that boyfriend doesn't have a say if the situation is reversed...think they'll figure it out on their own. ;-) ) That was hard to do with the double parentheses there!

So, as used to happen, when I am alone for a bit my mind wanders far and wide. I guess the last paragraph was enough of an illustration that I probably didn't have to state this. And it also proves I really should not be left to my own thoughts!

Bunny, how ya doing? Catching up energywise? The major sales and a paycheck may mean no food stamps, but I hope the combined income can make a significant difference that it won't be felt.

Marie, are you melting away up there? Now everyone will be on the lookout for flooding. And ice dams. I think the nation is in for a messy spring. Out here they are predicting a dry spring, summer and fall. Water is still abundant, but it will be weird like it is everywhere right now.

I hope everyone has a great day!
Mar
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2015 :  10:47:13 AM  Show Profile
Mar, I loved the eyes rolling comment. This is for you....

I slept in this morning...wonderful!! I have four dresses to package up and get in the mail on Monday. And hopefully do some sewing for my store. I'm down to below 100 items. I find my sales come at the beginning g of the month and then nothing.
As far as food stamps, I'm ok with making too much money for that. I think I will still be ok with my medical witch is much more important.

Off to the sewing room! Later everyone. Have a wonderful weekend.

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2015 :  11:18:20 AM  Show Profile
Yes, we are melting. I was out in a short sleeved t-shirt today putting on the tanning lotion. The yard has a large sized low spot and the water is collecting like a small lake. I also see that the neighbors have not been diligent about picking up their dogs' poop. They are the kind of people who go down to the back door in their jammies and slippers, open the door, let the dogs do their thing and call them back in. They do not do adequate waste removal. Now that it is melting, the poo can be removed from the ground. I always do this and do not complain even though everyone says I shouldn't have to. Well, I do have to if I want to use the yard. So I do it gladly. I always take Mitzi out for a walk in the neighborhood in the neighborhood. She's does her business in the same place and I pick it up. I still find it amazing that people think trash left under the snow just disappears.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2015 :  4:09:52 PM  Show Profile
I want to make clear that by reproductive choice, I mean a woman's right to use contraception. I hear all this stuff from the church I attend that contraception is wrong, even though about 90% of US Catholics use it. And, of course, it's men who are making the decisions.
I have read a lot about Native American spirituality and it's interesting to note that in some tribes, when they went to war, it was women who made the decision, not men, since the women are the ones who would be experiencing the possible loss of their sons and husbands. I wonder how many wars could have been avoided if every culture practiced decision making by women?
It's warming up here, too, the snow is mostly gone but we don't have any flooding. The ground is very squishy. I don't feel quite as depressed as I had been feeling. Maybe the shift to spring will change my brain chemistry enough to ease the depression. So much of depression is about brain chemistry and there's still so much we don't understand. Inner space--the final frontier.
When I do my yoga I make a conscious effort to send peace out into the world. One of the practices I do consists of heart-opening asanas to make the heart more capable of giving and receiving love. I like to think about all the other yogis out there who are doing the same. I hope you are feeling peaceful.
Cindy

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2015 :  7:48:19 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

I understood you meant contraception. I do like the button saying and would like one of those. I used to have a button that said, "I bet you think a clitoris is a dinosaur." lol It made a number of women snort their coffee.

men are still intimidated by smart women. It is so annoying to me when women simper to make a man feel smart or powerful. Why can't everyone just appreciate everyone elses strengths without feeing intimidated.

You are right Mar to suggest a durable power of attorney for health care. Everyone should have someone designated. Think about what your choice is for care and end of life decisions and then find the right person you trust to follow through with your wishes and get your wishes into your health care records.

I am interested to hear about"the neighbor" Dd's boyfriend has made his choice and I hope he can live with it. I am glad he has chosen to make dd the priority. He has spine.

Temperatures rose to 20 F today. It was balmy outside. The sun shone intermittently. The weather guessers are suggesting we will have a fast melt with flooding. Some people have said the frost line is 8 feet down. I am not sure about that because we have so much snow on the ground to insulate it. Maybe where the snow has been plowed off it is so deep.

I hope the sun shines on you in the midwest, Cindy to help alleviate your depression. I can't remember how old you are. Have you passed the menopausal mood swings yet. I found them to be very controlling and to put them on top of brain chemistry depression would be so overwhelming.

If women made the choice of war I think there would be far fewer and they would be a different form chosen to solve the problems of the different communities. I think that we spend so much time raising our children to be responsible adults and then send them off to war to maybe be killed is not right. Then society tells the mothers and fathers that it is a proud thing to have your child serve in the war. I think it is brainwashing to some extent. Did that make any sense?

When the Right to Marry folks were working in the legislature here, I went to testify. I told them I thought it was not the right of the government to sanction relationships. The government should not be telling people who or how many people they could love and have as family. The government should not be supporting financially any relationship. I was talking consenting adults.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2015 :  8:04:40 PM  Show Profile

Edited by - doll58maker on Sep 18 2019 3:30:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2015 :  8:13:17 PM  Show Profile
Holly we were posting at the same time. I absolutely agree with your thoughts. On all of it. I've said many times how wrong it is and how little we have evolved to still be glorifying war. . It is pure insanity that we teach our children how to settle things with out fighting or physical violence or bullying, then we send them off to do just that. it makes me sick. Don't even get me started on that. The young men I grew up with, that is, my generation, went to viet nam.

GG
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2015 :  9:19:30 PM  Show Profile
Lowell has researched opinion polls on the Viet Nam War in the 1960's. He found that the young people (especially men)supported it more than the older folks. He believes that even though they may have been rebellious, these young men still supported the martial ethic.

Aboriginal Americans had many ways to settle disputes without resorting to war. One way was to play a game of Lacrosse between the disputing parties with the game's winner receiving the desired settlement. Many times after these contests, a compromise was made which would satisfy both parties. War was devastating to a tribe. Win or lose, many would die and the survivors would not be able to maintain their lives unless they were accepted into another tribe. Among the five tribes of the Iroquois Confederacy, women gave birth only about once every seven years. These people understood the toll child bearing takes on women. The children were carefully looked after until they were certain to survive. The Iroquois were horrified by how the English constantly kept their women pregnant and were astounded by the rate of infant mortality.

Marie, Sister #5142

Edited by - churunga on Mar 07 2015 9:21:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2015 :  3:04:39 PM  Show Profile
i have my own opinions because I lived through it, my brother was sent, he did not volunteer, my former husband was sent, he did not volunteer. I know some who went to Canada to escape the draft but that was considered the cowardly way out, not to mention being against the law. These boys were terrified but they went because they had to. Lives were destroyed. Families were devastated. They did not volunteer for any of it. Rarely are the history books telling the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. I lived through it. So lets not go there.

GG
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2015 :  3:39:37 PM  Show Profile

Deleted

Edited by - doll58maker on Mar 22 2015 4:50:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2015 :  6:58:34 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

My older brother was of draft age during the Viet Nam War. My father said that if he had been drafted we would have been Canadian citizens.

I have thought about it since yesterday when i posted. I think there is a place for the service. I think there is no place for war or armed conflict. I think there is a need for young people to have a place to go to learn who they are and in a structure that is rigid. I think about it for some of my sons but the violence piece is not what I want for them. I try every day as GG has said to raise my sons so they can be problem solvers. Since most of them are young men of color it is especially important given the current systems of not justice in this country that my sons know alternative ways to solve their problems besides violence. I have put too much time and love into them to have them killed for walking or driving while young and black.

Today while C was out lugging her sugaring supplies out of the sugar house she walked by Coco. The cow started to lick her pants as she sometimes does to me. C was standing on the path in the garden. The path is packed snow. On either side of the path is 40 inches of soft, cold snow. Coco nudged her and back she toppled into the snow. C is 5 feet tall and on the heavy side. She laid like a turtle in the snow yelling for me to come and lift her up. lol DsR came running into the house for me. She was laughing and he was worried she would be stuck out there until the snow melted. I told her how to move and she got her self up with a little help from me. I am glad she was laughing because it is a big fear for her to fall and not be able to get up.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499

Edited by - Tall Holly on Mar 08 2015 7:10:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2015 :  4:20:14 PM  Show Profile
I think it would be a good place if our service was mandatory right after high school, but didn't have anything to do with being armed. I think service means helping upgrade our parks and trails in our National Parks. Painting a house for an elderly person, helping someone put together a good resume, tutoring someone, delivering food to homebound people. Just serving. Here, in our fifty states. It would be great if you could earn credit towards community college courses. I mean that you earn the right to take so many credits at a community college. I think looking at service as being of service instead of having to defend our country would be wonderful. I am probably naive.

Holly, have you helped C up yet? She isn't still stuck in the snow, is she?
Mar
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2015 :  6:56:44 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

We had a lovely day here in the Green Mountains. The clouds drifted by in the afternoon and the sun was so warm and bright. We spent the afternoon on the porch trying to hack away at the glaciers that have formed. DsG said it was so warm he could sit on the porch in his bare feet. The temperatures were in the high twenties without a breeze.

DsJ came to visit for the first time since I booted his butt out before winter holiday. He had been vicious and irresponsible and very self centered for a long time and finally I had had enough. He left in a blaze of drama and told the littles he was never going to come back to this *&*&* house again and he was glad to be rid of this *&^&* family. He came back today to get help with his tax returns and to pick up his mail. He was kind and polite. He played some with the little boys and that made their day especially dsR who had been feeling very abandoned. DsJ even mentioned the upcoming birthdays and asked if he could come to the first one. I wish the woman who booted her son out would come back and post. I am not sorry I did it. I believe he has grown some and I think he will rejoin the family as a functioning giving member. He will not move back into the house but the littles will be able to call him when they want and he will probably come and eat supper or help on his days off. Maybe I am reading more into his first visit than is really there yet but we still have hope.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2015 :  12:39:33 PM  Show Profile
Holly, I hear and completely understand your hopefulness. We're sent thru those thoughts with our son when he was younger. You worry how the younger kids will react to losing him again. It is so painful for them and so confusing when the young ones need you so much. It is hard for them to imagine ever not being you. I know you let him know how welcome he is, especially when he behaves with such respect.let's hope he has matured and this behavior sticks around. I'm sure your children all understand that you will always give them every chance they deserve.
Mar
Go to Top of Page

EarthFibre
Farmgirl in Training

29 Posts

Susan
Florence AL
USA
29 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2015 :  5:34:37 PM  Show Profile
Hello everyone!

I'm new to MJF and wondering if it's okay if I join in the over 50 club? :)

Knit, crochet, spinning fiber, weave, quilt, sew, repurpose, recycle. Mom to 5 babies in the Furry Knuckle Choir and 1 very handsome young man!
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2015 :  7:03:33 PM  Show Profile
Welcome to over 50 and feisty!
Cindy

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2015 :  7:37:26 PM  Show Profile
Of course, Susan. The more of us there are the wilder it gets here. We are all our own kind of eccentric.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2015 :  8:59:25 PM  Show Profile
Susan welcome! I hope you visit often. We do get a bit opinionated at times and are very free with our advise. Just take it in stride. We have fun for sure.

I'm glad my son joined the marines. I can see it has done him so good. What I don't like is the warrior mentality they push on them. Because he is stateside and doing what he feels is something a civilian can do, he is made to feel like less a marine than those that go over seas and fight.

I still like my job, but I'm so tired when I get home. I played bunco tonight and I was so tired. It does wear me out. Vut I'm still getting etsy orders and have two custom orders to work on this weekend.

Time for bed. Later all!

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2015 :  12:17:36 PM  Show Profile
Bunny, I am so glad you are doing well. I hope it is a "good" tired. We are doing great.

Welcome, Susan. It's always nice to have more people posting.

Hope everyone is getting some decent weather and starting to look forward to spring.

GG
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 408 Gathered Up: Previous Topic Over 50 Farmgirls Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page