Author Gathered Up: Previous Topic Over 50 Farmgirls Next Topic
Page: of 408

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2015 :  4:55:13 PM  Show Profile
Sounds like everyone is preparing for the Super Bowl--except me! He he! I'm not a football fan at all. I am having lunch at my parents' house tomorrow and my brother will be there so I'm sure he'll watch it--wait, what time does it start? It's in the evening, I think. I'm so clueless I don't know when it starts. I went to look at the antique stores today and ended up buying two issues of a magazine I remember getting in grade school--it was called "Dynamite" and was available through Schoolastic books. These two issues are from 1974--a good year, but then, I feel nostalgic for the 70's. Not for the clothes (I hated bell bottoms) but it seems like life was a lot more free and easy--not as much govt. interference in our lives and more people were on an equal scale financially. I wanted to be a hippie but by the time I was old enough to make that choice, it was the disco era and there were no more hippies around. It's been gloomy here as well, must be all over the country. But it's been a mild winter so far.
Thank you to all for the birthday well wishes.
Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2015 :  5:47:46 PM  Show Profile

DsG age 8 and DsC age 9. thinking the sledding is much nicer here than in their former home state

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2015 :  7:18:58 PM  Show Profile
Ladies,

I wouldn't give a rat's a$$ for football. The game is based on the idea of conquering territory -- so much like war. Those players seem to want to hurt each other. So many of them get severe head injuries which can lead to dementia. I have heard that it happens even in high schools. I do not like a game which is so violent and with such disregard for the player's health. Rant over.

Lowell has told me that he has called me but I never hear the phone ring. Today I tried to call him to tell him I was finished with Dungeons & Dragons so that he could pick me up and we could go grocery shopping. No one answered. When I got home and checked the phone, I noticed that the ringer had been shut off. GRRRR!!! The worst thing is, I don't know who to blame. Probably everyone.

Holly - Those little boys look as if they could get into a lot of trouble together. I hope they are enjoying their childhoods.

Cindy - Same with me. I was too young to be a hippie and too old to be a punker.

Well, I am tired and Lowell and Mitzi are not home. I noticed that the shopping list is gone so I guess he went for groceries. He never gets me cheese. Oh well!

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2015 :  7:48:56 PM  Show Profile
Holly, those little guys are cute! But I agree they look like they could get into lots of mischief.

Bunny, remind me to never ask you to help paint. My mental picture of that is hilarious.

We went out to eat and both had the same thing. A glass of wine, duck breast with mashed potatoes, asparagus and carrots, then b had carrot cake and I had a fabulous version of bananas foster, served over a scoop each of chocolate and vanilla ice cream, then the bananas covered in that delicious sauce with pecans, all served in a burnt sugar bowl. OMG IT WAS SO GOOD. We went in his car and both umbrellas were in my car. So we got wet going in and I learned I can run faster than he can. I think it is supposed to stop raining tomorrow. We are full and sleepy from the wine and overeating.

Holly, sleeping til 8? Wow, it feels good, doesn't it?

I wanted to be a hippy but I did not want to starve. So I got a job instead.
Marie I totally agree with your assessment of the game of football. Now. But I was head cheerleader and football sweetheart back in the day.

Cindy, the 70's was a great era, we had birth control pills and AIDs hadn't been invented yet. But we sure had bad taste in clothes and hairdos, didn't we. (Laughing)
The popular colors were gold and some horrible green color. Avocado, I think.

GG
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2015 :  7:54:12 PM  Show Profile
Oh, and we had polyester in the 70's. Finally freedom from ironing everything. The guys had those goofy leisure suits. My first DH got himself a perm. Everyone's hair was out of control.

I'm pretty sure it was the Beatles who started the long hair thing, didn't they?
GG

Edited by - doll58maker on Jan 31 2015 7:56:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2015 :  9:38:54 PM  Show Profile
Speaking of 70's fashions, I use to wear purple velveteen knee high boots with purple mini shorts and an orange top. Probably something a hooker would wear nowadays. But I was really cool! My favorite clothes were sailor pants from the arm and navy surplus store and a grey t-shirt with a superman symbol on the front. I also wore a cape with ecology buttons and desert boots with bells. I was very colorful. Now I have to dress like a lady so I can get a job. When I had my own store, I dressed rather colorfully too.

Holly, so glad the boys were able to get outside and work off some energy.

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com
Handmade stuff http://www.curiousorangecat.etsy.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2015 :  9:41:45 PM  Show Profile
I'm not a football fan either. Too much hype and too much money for just playing a game. They think they are fighting some kind of battle? Send them to marine basic training and then on to the middle east. They will learn real fast what a battle is.

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2015 :  09:53:17 AM  Show Profile
In the Ivy League, football was considered a vital activity to prepare young men for the business world. You know -- team work and ruthlessness.

In junior high, I wore these jeans which had vertical red, white and blue irregular stripes. I wore them with either a red, white or blue button-up shirt. I also had 3 skirts and 3 sweaters coloured red, white and blue. I wore these 9 pieces in a variety of permutations. I also had a pair of brown plaid bell bottom dress pants with a cuff. I wore them with a gold-coloured button-up shirt and a heather green knit cardigan. I was pretty matchy-matchy back then.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2015 :  5:44:36 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone.

The TV is on and tuned to the Big Game. DDK and sone by choice are watching it. I have only let one of my sons play football and he did not last three weeks. He ended up losing 12 pounds in that time and the practices were ridiculous considering the temperature outside was very hot. I have told all of them I like the way their brains are arranged and their bodies for that matter. They have been recruited and have had to say no, their mother won't let them. Football is not a huge growing up activity like in some areas of the country.

I had a lovely florescent green jumpsuit my mother made me. I also had some florescent orange pants that we bought at Filene's basement and they were Neiman Marcus markdowns. I had baby blue corduroy overalls too although they were fitted so maybe it was after the hippie time. I was young enough to miss most of the outrageous clothing. I remember my friend Sandy's sister had bell bottom jeans that she had cut the side seams to the knee and added material. I remember the bottoms dragged on the ground a lot.

The boys do get into a lot of trouble together. DsC initiates the stupid boy stunts and DsG pushes the limits over the top. Common sense is not in their repetoire (don't know what i am doing to spell it wrong) when they get going. Luckily neither of them has broken anything yet or needed stitches.

I think the high today was 2 F. The sky was a gorgeous winter blue. the moon and stars are clear tonight.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

janiee
True Blue Farmgirl

820 Posts

Janie
Shawnee Oklahoma
USA
820 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2015 :  1:36:19 PM  Show Profile
hello gals, just popping in for a moment. everything is going ok. have been cleaning and throwing..just want a clean house. been fighting with mice...thankful one of the dogs is helping me. thought i had figured out where they were coming in and fixed it but there was one last night in the house...arghh!!!
bunny, got a good picture of you and your cat. my dh had a black cat that he rescued and when we took it to the vet to get it fixed, they used too much anesthia and caused some problems but he told the vet that no matter what he had to do, he wanted to take care of her. well, i endured her for the most part and after my dh passed, she turned into the most loving and drooling cat. when she decided she was ready for loving, nothing you could do could stop her from coming after you! hahahaha, when she died 2 days after my mom, i bawled for an entire weekend--just when i had thought i couldn't cry anymore.
i have to finish cleaning out the bottom of the closets this week and throwing stuff away and then i am going to pick a room and start again going thru everything and keeping only what i find beautiful and functional. I still want a travel trailer eventually and i have to get rid of some of this stuff before that time comes.
not much going on at work right now and all is well.
bunny, hang in there! it is going to get better. holly, so glad that you know how to deal with the cold weather, i hope to learn someday.
well, better go back to work!
hugs to all
janiee
farmgirl #390
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2015 :  3:14:46 PM  Show Profile
Just for you, Bunny.

GG
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2015 :  3:16:49 PM  Show Profile
Holly, the photos are beautiful . Thanks for the visual treat! So glad I nagged you into posting your pics.

GG

Edited by - doll58maker on Feb 02 2015 3:17:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2015 :  3:54:34 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

It has snowed all day. We received a call at 6 AM telling us all the schools in the district were closed for the day. DsT had miraculously gotten him self up at 5:15 and into the shower all by himself. He went back to bed. C went to work for the day. We did school work and watched movies. The high temperature today was -4 F. The low -8 F not much of a rise in temperatures today.

view from the porch

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Noreen
True Blue Farmgirl

110 Posts

Noreen
Essex Junction Vermont
USA
110 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2015 :  4:03:37 PM  Show Profile  Send Noreen an AOL message
My, it was cold and snowy today! I shoveled, snow blowed and snow plowed with the drag blade on he he tractor. I do love living in the woods and our driveway is 1/4 mile long. But with my husband out of town and my son gone to school, it was up to this farm girl to take care of the home front. I am thankful to have the tools to work with and the clothing to keep warm. I did some cooking this morning so dinner would be ready for tonight and for the next couple as well. Tonight I can rest and do some writing. Hope you are all staying warm and dry!

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. Psalm 23:1
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2015 :  4:31:38 PM  Show Profile
Janiee, I've read that mice hate the smell of peppermint. This source says put peppermint essential oil on cotton balls and put them here and there, and in the walls if you can. Some years I have them but since doing that I don't recall seeing evidence of them. Makes the house smell nice, too.

GG
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2015 :  4:52:16 PM  Show Profile
GG, love the box of kitties!! I never knew about the peppermint for mice. Wouldn't have worked well in my house as my cats would bring the mice in as toys. I would have to catch them and put them outside. If they were on their death bed, I had a basket I would put them in and a dark closet so they could die in peace. There really is a place in heaven for me. I even save spiders.

Holly, love the pictures but boy it does look cold! Boys are great aren't they. Hopefully you can keep them in line as long as possible.

I actually got to see the sun today. It was cold but blue sky for a while. I needed it.

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

Kirksmom71
True Blue Farmgirl

873 Posts

Mel
Dallas Texas
USA
873 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2015 :  4:52:40 PM  Show Profile
Janie....so nice to see you here.....glad you are doing ok! I hate mice! We had them in a house we owned many years ago. Although he lived in a developed subdivision.. our property backed up to a large farm field... you get the picture. I had some craft items packed up in my laundry room and I went in to them to get some ornamental popcorn I had placed in there for autumn decorating....about four ears. When I got to them......they were totally stripped of every kernel....all that was left was the cobs. Too funny! I was dumbfounded at first.....thought what the HE**? Then reality struck......those d**n mice! :) Needless to say I had to rethink my decorating ideas!! LOL Wish I had known about the peppermint thing!1 We could hear them in the walls. Wonder how the next tenants handled that situation!!

GG......it's too freakin' cold here.....39 today and 24 this morning...and we are headed for 32 tomorrow morning. How you doin' down there? Do the weather Gods not know this is Texas? I used to live in Chicago and wouldn't blink at 32 degrees......gettin' old sucks big time!! :) My best bud and SIL and family got 14 inches of snow Sunday. They are still digging out and they are expected to get another hit later in the week. And our delightful weather man just reminded us that February is the snowiest month for Texas.

Holly....the pics are just beautiful but so sorry about the horrible cold! I just read on Facebook that Montpelier is the best small town in America! It only has 10,000 population.....didn't realize it was that small. Isn't it Vermont's capitol?

Bunny....anymore sales? I need to revamp my shop...no sales except Janie's.... How are the boys doing?

My best to all,
Mel
https://www.etsy.com/shop/KirksmomsKottage
http://www.pinterest.com/kirksmom71/
Sassy City Girl with Farmgirl Fantasies!
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2015 :  5:59:42 PM  Show Profile

Edited by - doll58maker on Sep 18 2019 2:44:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2015 :  6:30:44 PM  Show Profile
Mel, I had a sale yesterday. I'm hanging in there.
My boys are doing good. Jesse the marine is about to buy his first car. He is taking a friend with him so he doesn't do anything stupid.
My oldest has decided to get back working with the fire department . He has to go get his EMT and start networking again. He has some good friends high up in training that have offered to help.
He would really do well. Probably better than police. I think he would get bored because of where he would be working. He just doesn't like medical calls. But he knows it comes with the territory. He has a thing about needles too.
He can save someone hanging on the side of a mountain, repel out of a helicopter and pick up dead bodies. But deal with an old man that has pooped his pants and can't get off the floor.....he would like to pass on that.

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

janiee
True Blue Farmgirl

820 Posts

Janie
Shawnee Oklahoma
USA
820 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2015 :  6:32:13 PM  Show Profile
Gg love the color!
I tried the peppermint and the mice loved them. Still have not found those cotton balls!! Hahaha tried the glue boards and they took them as well. So I am trying garlic tonite. Have been cleaning extra and trying to block all entrances.

love love love the pic of kitties
got to feed my old cat.....
janiee
farmgirl #390
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2015 :  6:28:28 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

I am trying to post a picture but the picture posting system seems to have changed. Yesterday, I told it to post and it just did. Today, I tell it to post and it pops up in a preview screen and then after I tell it I am done, the screen says ...processing and says processing for a very long time. In the three times I have tried to post this fabulous picture it has not finished processing.

Janiee do you think you could be dealing with rats? They take things away. I would guess the peppermint cotton balls are now lining the nest of a very happy female rodent.

Bunny I am glad you are having some sales. Slow and steady. fast and steady would be better but it is nice that people are looking at your creations.

I spoke to my Tai chi teacher tonight and his new wife is from France. They are dealing with the immigration issues. I did not know that a person had to get all of their immunizations in the process. This woman feels so sick from some of the shots. I do not know if she had them as a child or not.

The temperature when I woke up this morning was -16F in the afternoon it was +10 F. We shoveled the driveway this morning and that was not too bad because the snow was so light from being so cold.. Geez doesn't that last sentence sound odd? In the afternoon I took two of the boys outside to sled. The snow was fast once we set up a track.

not happy with the photo posting or lack there of. I will try again tomorrow maybe they are putting in a new system and it is not operational yet. Maybe all of our beautiful photos are taking up too much space on the website and they are trying to make the files smaller.

sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2015 :  8:09:44 PM  Show Profile
It's true, Holly. B did not want the shots but he had to get them. I'm trying to convince him to get the shingles shot too but so far he hasn't.

I've always had that issue with this forum, sometimes the photos post with no problem and sometimes they will not. Hope you will try again tomorrow.

It was cold and wet here today. It would be a heat wave for you though. We don't dare complain about the rain, because it is needed so badly. It would take several years of rain to fill our lakes up. Water rationing is a common thing here. And water is very expensive. But, I'm ready to see the sun again.

GG
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2015 :  04:51:45 AM  Show Profile
good morning,

i tell my children as they let the water run down the drain to turn it off and be glad they have the luxury of water. I tell them be glad they do not live in the city or the south west I tell the rationing water is necessary for the continuance of life in those climates.

find a moment of joy.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2015 :  11:59:27 AM  Show Profile

The littles saw it first and the Barred owl kindly waited for me to run in the house, up three flights of stairs and all the way back down, turned on the camera, focused and took a dozen pictures. Some came out fine.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Kirksmom71
True Blue Farmgirl

873 Posts

Mel
Dallas Texas
USA
873 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2015 :  1:02:10 PM  Show Profile

I was just testing this new picture posting set-up...everyone seemed to be having problems with it the last day or so.....I just wanted to see if the fix they suggested worked and it looks like it did!Thanx to Gabe! :)

My best to all,
Mel
https://www.etsy.com/shop/KirksmomsKottage
http://www.pinterest.com/kirksmom71/
Sassy City Girl with Farmgirl Fantasies!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 408 Gathered Up: Previous Topic Over 50 Farmgirls Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page