True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2014 :  5:10:53 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

Today was another cold rainy afternoon. The morning was overcast and cold. I went to the Church yard sale. It happens every year. It is one I look forward too. I snagged a lot of napkins. Some are very nice linen. I found a lot of VCR movies for the littles. they do not care about the format. I picked up a dozen or so mugs. I do not care if the children drop them on the tile floor and they smash. On the way home I bought a punching bag for the teenagers. I just need to get the chain and rings to hang it up in the garage. At the last garage sale I bought an upright freezer, a basketball hoop on a stand and a larger bike for dsR. He was sooooo happy to see the bike. I had a nice child free time going at the pace I wanted.

That does look like a man quilt. It is very nice. I like the bright red rectangles. Good luck with the housing. I hope the hassles are minimal and not too discouraging.

Jan remember Nancy? She lives in northeast Florida and would probably be tickled to see you.

My brother bought himself a motor home about a month ago now. It looks like a motor coach bus and has two slide outs. He bought it off Ebay from a woman whose husband had died and no longer did the traveling. He is checking out all of the systems and trying to figure out in which state he will register it. I guess there are tax advantages in some states.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2014 :  7:35:00 PM  Show Profile
Holly, I ready a study on good states to register in and I think it was South Dakota that turned out the best. I'm sure your brother will figure it out. There is so much information available.

I just watched the first show in the new season for Dr. Who......I cried. It was emotional. But a good start to the show with the new actor playing the Dr.

Jan, The lady at HUD said the waiting list is about a year long. I'll probably have to stay here for a little while before I can think about moving. It will be a long process if I can figure out the system. I still need income from somewhere.

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com
Handmade stuff http://www.curiousorangecat.etsy.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2014 :  7:40:43 PM  Show Profile
Bunny, I love the fabrics you chose and the way you put the quilt together. How do you get so much done do quickly?
Your son will love it and his buddies will be jealous.

Jan, I used to know where winter haven is but now I can't remember. I lived in Florida for 12 years. I loved it there.

We got up so early to go to the beekeeping class and we learned so much. We learned we do not want to keep bees. It wass meal of grilled chicken and rice and, yes, Patty, green beans. I will never be able to eat green beans again without thinking of you. They were delicious.

Bunny your post came in while I was writing. It is time for things to work out for you. Sending hugs.

GG

Edited by - doll58maker on Sep 15 2019 7:48:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2014 :  06:03:57 AM  Show Profile
Crud, Bunny, a year seems so long. Are there any emergency type agencies? Or is HUD it? I am thinking about when your stepdad passes, that being the emergency... The disability part frustrates the liver out of me. A stay at home mom who doesn't have enough work credits is given no worth in our country. I have the same situation disability-wise. I don't know what you can do, either. G is right, it is time for things to work out for ya. And, wow, what a great quilt.

GG, Beekeeping -- Check! There is one thing off your To Do List. Sounds like a day you would like to get back to do over.

Jan, you must be beside yourself with anticipation.

nar
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2014 :  08:53:35 AM  Show Profile
Mar, when stepdad passes if I can come up with about $200.00 a month for my mom we can maintain until we can make whatever change is needed. The hard part is hearing about people on disability that really don't have one. My son has a friend that got it because she is an alcoholic. She doesn't drink anymore, and could certainly work, but doesn't and probably never will. My problem is mainly guilt and denial. I need to get over it. Yesterday I lasted for 1.5 hours before I had to quit. I just need a good doctor to get on board and really help me deal with what I can and cannot do. I wish I could find a job I could do at home. The best would be doing bookkeeping for small businesses. But I'm not good at cold calling and really don't know how to get started. ...maybe I should think about going to some chamber of commerce events.

Today I need to do some house cleaning. Kitchen first.

GG I'm glad you took that bee keeping class. Time to move on to something else. You two will find your path. I still think the retreat ideas would be great. Quilters, writers, artists....

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2014 :  10:54:29 AM  Show Profile
Bunny--"disability" is defined as any condition that doesn't allow you to function at normal capacity. I was on disability for over ten years back in the 80's and 90's. I could function physically (except for my vision, which was affected by the meds. I was on) but I couldn't concentrate well enough hardly to remember the alphabet. I finally found a new dr. who changed my meds. and then I could concentrate, but I still had trouble socializing and understanding even the basics of holding down a job. It's really only been in the last ten years that I've come to understand what is expected of me on the job. And I still struggle. Right now, I'm very sick with what is probably the flu, but I still have to work tomorrow cause I've had five call-offs this year and if I get one more, I'll be suspended for three days. The agency that helped place me in my job never told me about the discrimination and outright hostility I would face from certain co-workers. Sometimes I wish I could get back on disability. I do hope you get it, fibro is a condition that severely limits what you're capable of doing physically. Write down how it limits you and take the list to your doctor. I wish you the best.
Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2014 :  12:19:57 PM  Show Profile
Bunny, the retreat idea is a good one for this place and the beekeeping would fit right in. It's the work. We can not hold up to all the work. We, also, have to face the reality of what we can and can not do. I simply do not want to work any more. These glamorous scenarios don't show the mountain of work that has to be done behind the scenes to keep everything running smoothly. Yesterday at the bee keepers house it looked just amazing, what a beautiful place. The lunch was gourmet and delicious. At some point during the day I realized they were two very tired and two very overworked and basically not happy people who were following their retirement dream. We've been waffling back and forth about whether we want to stay or go, mostly it's about me, not able to let go of all my stuff.

GG
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2014 :  12:45:00 PM  Show Profile
GG, at least you are realistic about it all. Downsizing is not easy. When the time is right you'll know. Until then take it one day at a time. Big changes are hard to make. You need a condo by the ocean with a small garden and a big craft room for you and a man cave for B.

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2014 :  12:45:29 PM  Show Profile

Edited by - doll58maker on Sep 15 2019 7:50:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2014 :  12:46:45 PM  Show Profile
You are right, bunny. And no room for overnight guests!

GG
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2014 :  2:17:10 PM  Show Profile
Cindy, thank you for the suggestion about writing down how my days go. I have started a journal.

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2014 :  6:29:57 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

Today started out being overcast and rainy but by lunch time it was clearing and warm enough to work outside comfortably. I have started to clear the weedy brush from around the blueberry bushes. I want to mulch them before the snow flies. Just another project.

It is good you found out that beekeeping was not for you before you invested in the equipment. I do not spend a lot of time at it but I only keep one or two hives. I think about adding more but I would need to put up fencing to keep the bear out of the hives. We'll see if I can get that done to see if adding more hives is even a possibility.
It seems that if you have a doctor who knows the right words to put on an application for disability then the application process goes quickly, If the doctor does not know the right words it could take forever.

G maybe you should think about if your house were to burn down what items would you really miss and what wouldn't matter in the long run. I think that is how to decide what junque to hang onto and how to let go. After a while all of the rememberings fade anyway.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2014 :  10:24:30 PM  Show Profile
Bunny, isn't the biggest obstacle to your getting disability the amount of work credits you have? When you keep your journal rate your energy and pain levels separately and use a scale from one to ten. It is difficult because you end up focusing on how you feel and since it generally isn't great, it's just a crummy reminder all day long. Rate yourself upon waking midday, afternoon/evening and bedtime, if you remember. You'll end up seeing some listened that you probably already know about. Thinking of you thru this.
Holly, we have put up literally miles of fence. But I don't think any of it would keep a bear out! Especially one after a huge. How do you build a fence capable of that?
Cindy, hope you feel better. That's a crazy employer who wants someone with the flu to come in to work. But you can't take the hit of missing the day. Hope you can get some good rest to kick this flu.
Mar
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2014 :  12:03:33 AM  Show Profile
Mar--yes, I'm feeling better now. don't know if it was the flu or just a very bad cold. My lungs were all congested and I had a fever on saturday night. Now I just have the sniffles, but I feel weak cause I didn't eat much over the weekend. couldn't taste it anyway.
GG--it's good for you to know that you don't want to devote all your time to something like beekeeping, no matter how useful it is. That's part of what keeps me from getting some hens--they'll require more of my time and with my parents being almost disabled themselves, I just don't have the time.
Holly--I was reading an article about "Slow Money" a movement where people invest in the local economy--especially small farms--and it's really gaining popularity in Vermont.It hasn't caught on around here. we have lots of CSA's so maybe in the future it'll catch on.
Patty--I can't believe it took that long for you to get those beans. Oh, I forgot--this is the United States Post Office.
Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2014 :  09:02:22 AM  Show Profile
Mar, I don't have enough work credits for SSI. So I will have to try for supplemental insurance. It is what homeless people and people with no work history get. It is harder, not as much money but I have to try anyway. It won't be easy and I will most likely have to hire a SSI attorney. They only get paid if you win. I'm assuming I'll be turned down the first time. I have read it will take about three years if I can get through all the appeals.

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2014 :  4:54:48 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

A lovely fall day here in the Green Mountains. The morning started off brisk so I lit a fire in the woodstove to take the chill off the house.

I cut down burdock as tall as I am in the garden this afternoon. It was time. I only got the nasty stuff stuck in my hair three times.

I was thinking that I would have to use a chain link fence like a dog kennel or heavy cow fencing with a top on it if I were going to put any bee hives away from the immediate vicinity of the house. We have had bear poop on the road through the fields for the last month or so. I think that it was coming to eat the rotten tomatoes that I had been throwing over the garden fence onto the grass so the chickens could eat them. I noticed that they were all gone in the morning.

Slow Money has been catching on here. Someone wrote a book about it a few years back that gave the impetus for naming the movement. The buy local eat local idea is big around here. I have been trying to explain to my teenagers why it is important to use the downtown stores which are mostly locally owned instead of the box stores or online shopping to support local business owners. The teens are slow to catch on. They love the idea of thousands of items to chose from.

There is also a group who does work exchange. All work is valued at the same price. If you give an hour you may get an hour of work. I have yet to do this but it is growing as well.

I have manure and I like to barter it for whatever the receiver wants to trade me. It is hard for some people to give up the dollar value and trade what they have made or grown that they think is worth the manure to them.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2014 :  12:29:16 PM  Show Profile
Well, so far it is a good day. I got 5 dresses photographed for my store. I got the slip dress back from Altered Couture magazine and put it in my store. I could really use selling that! I'm not selling it cheap.

Time for lunch.. just stopped in to say hi and it's a good day so far.

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2014 :  12:34:56 PM  Show Profile
Here are two items I have ready to post to my store in the next few days.

I'm so tempted to keep the grey sweater. It is very comfy and baggy. I love fall just for that reason. I get to wear baggy clothes!

Here is a fun dress I made. The fabric in the skirting has fish skeletons all over it. It looks so innocent but has a little goth hiding in it.

Anyway, later for now.

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

atkinst2
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Theresa
Canal Winchester OH
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2014 :  5:01:12 PM  Show Profile
Bunny, those are way too cute
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2014 :  5:51:23 PM  Show Profile
Totally agree, Theresa. Bunny I don't know why you don't run out of ideas.

It's cooler here and we have more energy to get things done. B has survived his first Texas August. Not an easy thing. Perhaps it will be his last. We are trying to figure out where we want to be.

I'm really tired again today. Did not sleep well last night, but night before last I slept like a normal person. Can not figure out what causes this.

The slow money idea sounds like a great thing.

Holly, the info we got on the bees is that you should check the hives at least every 10 days, to look for signs of a swarm, check to be sure the queen is alive and well, and look for signs of disease or parasites. And they need a lot of supplemental feeding in the winter, so we would not be able to leave. Seems there are lots of diseases and pests and you really can't sell any honey without going through another rigorous process. And you have you have 6 hives to get the Ag exemption. We were told we had to have bee suits by the next class and the one he recommended was $250. Times two. So we decided it was too much of a commitment for us.

Hope everyone had a great day.

GG

Edited by - doll58maker on Sep 16 2014 6:00:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2014 :  5:58:21 PM  Show Profile
GG, actually deciding where to go sounds fun. I tried to do that, but keep going back to wanting to be close to family. I hope you and B can come to an agreement. Maybe somewhere in the Caribbean? I bet you could live cheap! Then have a little condo up in Canada for when B gets homesick.

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2014 :  9:34:45 PM  Show Profile
Bunny--love the blazer and the sweater. Gray and pink compliment each other so well. what size are they? The disguised gothic dress is cute, too. who would have suspected fish bones?
I'm bummed. I have a bad cough from this illness and though I have a lot more energy, I can't do my yoga cause I can't breathe well enough. So much of yoga involves the breath. I'm going to try to see an ear,nose, and throat specialist. Sometimes my throat constricts for no obvious reason and I can't breathe so I cough. There have been a couple times today when I coughed so hard I got light-headed. I did pass out from coughing once, so it worries me. My throat hurts when I swallow but not like a sore throat. It just feels difficult to swallow. Feels like there's an obstruction.
Enough about me. I found out a friend of mine has lung cancer. She's always been a fighter, was one of the very first women to work for the refinery back in the 1970's. Part of her job was to keep the place from blowing up if something went wrong. I will be praying for her.
I am becoming more politically involved as I get older. I have a political sign in my yard for the first time. and I'm involved in a movement to end corporate personhood. Things that didn't seem so important when I was younger are now front and center. I'm volunteering more and I feel like the times we are living in are becoming desperate.Even being a "farmgirl" is a political statement. It shows that I'm not seduced by all the advertising and that I'm trying to live more self-sufficiently while establishing true community and care for the environment. I think this is what God wants me to do. We have enough to satisfy our need, but not human greed. I really hope we learn that soon.
Good night,
Cindy

Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2014 :  4:46:43 PM  Show Profile
Hello everyone,

It's still raining here. Scattered storms all this week and next.

I'm practicing for thanksgiving and have a turkey breast in the oven and gluten free cornbread dressing. I hope it is edible.

B fixed the living room ceiling today and the smell of the Sheetrock and mud are making me sick.

He takes it easy in the morning and then after lunch works about 5 or 6 hours straight. It's hard work. His work is perfect when he's done.
Parts of this house are over 30 years old. Part was remodeled in 2005 but they did a terrible job so he's got work to do in every room. It's not fun to live in a construction zone. I'm so glad to have the help.

That's it for my news. Hope everyone is doing ok.

GG
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2014 :  4:50:14 PM  Show Profile
Bunny, right now we are very seriously considering the RV life so we could go where we want. Canada summers and US winters. Family is scattered. By the time we wrap everything up here my mom won't be around. If she is she can live with my sis.

GG
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2014 :  5:15:07 PM  Show Profile
I am typing on my tablet, my laptop battery died and I had to order a new one, which should be here on Friday. I have been busy throwing alot of stuff out and trying so hard to get rid of so much. It is very hard to do. I am getting therte, we only have 38 more days to pack up.
GG, You plan on doing what Bob and I are going to do very soon. We are getting nervous, knowing it will be a very different lifestyle for us, but we are really looking forward to the warm weather. After May 1st, we do not know where we will end up, but hope to keep travelling and seeing the country.
Bunny, love the new outfits you did. They should sell quickly.
Cindy, hope you are feeling better. It is hard to work when you are not feeling well.
Holly, I hope you keep the nice weather for awhile. It has been in the 30s at night here, getting into the 60s during the day, but a hard freeze is forecast for tonight, and cold tomorrow. It is very windy again. We are getting tired of picking up branches and twigs off the lawn each day.
Mar, Did you get any laverder planted there yet? Does it come up every year? I cannot get it to grow here at all. The temps are just too harsh here, I think.
Patty, are you still getting beans? You must have planted alot of seeds this year. Do you plant any yellow beans?
Have a great evening,

Jan
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 408 Gathered Up: Previous Topic Over 50 Farmgirls Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page