doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2014 :  1:38:14 PM  Show Profile
Marie those pics are great! Never heard of the cardinal vine. It is pretty.

We should change the name "lurkers" to " Bunny's prospective customers" or BPCs.
Being creative strong women that we are. We have the power to create our own code words.

I am sitting on my porch enjoying the lovely summer rain. In this parched part of the world, summer rain is wonderful. When we were children our mother would let us play in the summer rain if there was no lightning. It makes me think of my brother. I am sure his spirit is here with me and we are enjoying it together. For the 2+ years that he could not swallow, all he wanted was to enjoy a glass of ice water. Now he can.

There are few things as pleasurable in life as summer rain and winter sun. Surely someone has written a song about that. I think either frank Sinatra or Wayne Newton sang a song called summer wind.

Holly that reminds me that your brother was not doing well a while back and you haven't mentioned him lately. I hope he is ok.

GG

Edited by - doll58maker on Aug 18 2014 1:43:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

atkinst2
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Theresa
Canal Winchester OH
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2014 :  2:48:38 PM  Show Profile
Ok ladies, one lurker coming out of lurkville. Patty (thebyrdhaus) told me about this thread and yes I have been reading the thread off and on. So I guess it's time to say "hello"

I'm not very good at posting, much better at reading. I do however like your thread. So much good information and caring here.

I am over 50, by a bit, and a grandmother. I have been a member of MJF for 4 or 5 years. A good friend of mine found a bunch of magazines being given away at the Grand Canyon Village Library and picked them up for me. There was about 20 of them and I sat down and ended up reading every last one. Fell in love with the magazine then the group and joined.

I would love to be a part of this thread, I'm just not very good at posting. Will do my best to keep up.

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2014 :  4:57:25 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

We have similar cell phone service in my area. We live at the end of a half mile dirt road that is a hill. Sometimes people from the valley are found sitting in their cars on or hill using their cell phones. I find it pretty amusing.

Marie, last year GG told me I could take the cherry tomatoes and cut them in half, drizzle them with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and slow cook them for hours. They are delicious. A neighbor who is a professional cook was over day before yesterday and we were discussing how awful they were and that we should not allow anyone else to have any, we would spare them all. I know that when he and his wife were over last year they ate almost the whole quart jar themselves. lol

I like the term BPC's.

My brother continues to need a liver transplant. If he receive a piece of someone's liver his life would be more enjoyable. Now he has to have his blood tested on a very regular basis. He was saying today that when travels he has to be someplace he can have his blood dealt with. So, he is looking at buying an RV. He has never marched to the drummer in the band. He has always created his own rhythms. I think he does not have the stamina he once had. He is unable to trek in the woods like he used too. But, he is having a good time with his dog and making the best of his situation. Thank you for asking.

Theresa welcome to our group. Do the best you can. Sometimes we do not post anything of any consequence but we post to let the others know they are not alone and are being thought of. I am glad you have come in out of the shade.

Today was cold and overcast in the morning. I did not want to go out. When I did I figured out it was colder in the house than outside. I did manage to get the brush hog on the tractor today. I have been meaning to for a while. The cows do not like to eat in the tall dry grass. They seem to prefer it cut so they can eat the green at the bottom. I am finally doing my best to accommodate them. I hope they will be happier. The bull calves will go in the freezers at the end of October. I am looking forward to them not being around. They are getting pushy. Hershey is bigger than his mama now. Harlem is still small and behaves like he has little man syndrome. He needs to act tough to make his way known.

Where is Mel these days?

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

atkinst2
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Theresa
Canal Winchester OH
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2014 :  5:13:33 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Holly, Sorry to read about your brother. I will keep him in my prayers.
Go to Top of Page

Kirksmom71
True Blue Farmgirl

873 Posts

Mel
Dallas Texas
USA
873 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2014 :  5:31:21 PM  Show Profile
I'm here Holly! :) Thanx for the thought! It's good to hear that your bro is making the best of a bad situation! He is in my prayers. The liver is an amazing organ....it can regenerate for the donor....it seems like a win win situation so you would think there would be more donors! Maybe more difficult to match. Anyway......sending positive vibes.

Rained all day yesterday (we so need it) and now it's HHHHHUUUUUMID!!!!!

Welcome Theresa! Always great to see fresh faces on the board!

My best to all,
Mel
https://www.etsy.com/shop/KirksmomsKottage
http://www.pinterest.com/kirksmom71/
Sassy City Girl with Farmgirl Fantasies!

Edited by - Kirksmom71 on Aug 18 2014 5:32:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2014 :  10:25:16 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone.
GG there is a song ....summer rain...makes me feel fine...blowing through the jasmine in my mind...Seals,and Crofts

I love rain in the summer. We had a good one a fre weeks ago. I never had that in California.

Theresa, welcome. Just say hi every once in a while.

Homework got the best of me today. I have a strange version of the software and it didn't have an important ability I needed for my homework today. So I had to email the teacher. Thankfully she got back to me so I'll be able to finish tomorrow.

Marie, wonderful garden pictures! Love the tomato plant. You are going to overrun by them very soon I can see.

Time for bed.. Nite all!

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com
Handmade stuff http://www.curiousorangecat.etsy.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2014 :  10:26:52 PM  Show Profile
My bad. The song is actually summer breeze. Sorry about that.

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2014 :  08:35:01 AM  Show Profile
That's a nice song too. I'll look it up. We now have high speed Internet so I can divorce ATT for everything except phone and text. I will save enough to pay for the Internet. Now we are going to try to figure out how to do the streaming thing so we can divorce the cable company. B just has to have Fox News (ugh) and golf.

Theresa we have several gals who just pop on when they can. All of us get busy sometimes or go into a funk where we don't feel like posting-- it's whatever works for you. We are so glad to have you join us when you can.

GG

Edited by - doll58maker on Aug 19 2014 08:35:59 AM
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2014 :  09:14:03 AM  Show Profile
Does anyone ever hear from Darlys? There is a fire close to her home in Oakhurst calif. I'm hoping she is ok. She may even be evacuated at this point.

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

atkinst2
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Theresa
Canal Winchester OH
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2014 :  09:14:27 AM  Show Profile
Thanks GG. I think I will enjoy this thread. When you figure out how to divorce the cable company I would love to know how! DH loves TV, me... not so much. Is there a way to hook up the computer or something? Very interested!

Have been building a toy box for my GS, got the first coat of the final color on half of it today. Getting closer to finishing... will be glad to have it done.

Well better get back to work!

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2014 :  10:08:30 AM  Show Profile
Divorcing the cable company was relatively easy for us. I bought a Roku for $89 seven years ago and hooked it up. I also have a wireless router which means that there aren't cords all over the place. When we realized that Netflix was so much more convenient and less expensive than cable, we cancelled and never went back. One can hook it up through the computer using an internet ready television or a Roku. Ask the friendly neighbor who is a tech geek for expert advice.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2014 :  11:11:14 AM  Show Profile
Marie, can you get the local news channels?
I like to get the local news and the national weather. B likes some sports like golf and hocky. It looks like the roku and similar ones just get movies and tv shows. That's where I am now trying to figure which one to get based on what we want to watch. Any advice woe be appreciated. Thanks.

GG

Edited by - doll58maker on Aug 19 2014 11:15:14 AM
Go to Top of Page

atkinst2
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Theresa
Canal Winchester OH
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2014 :  11:32:54 AM  Show Profile
I am in the same boat as GG. Would like some local channels. I am also confused about some of the channels they list on the website. Are all of them extra costs?
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2014 :  12:26:08 PM  Show Profile
I am told that you can get specialized programming by accessing the channels. I really do not know enough about them. I also have no idea what broadcast TV is doing. I would guess that if you want local and national news and weather as well as current sports events, you will have to stick with cable or stream it from the computer. Streaming such specialized programming will cost a bit. Netflix is good at explaining all this new technology even if you are not a customer.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2014 :  4:34:05 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Marie!

GG
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2014 :  4:39:01 PM  Show Profile
We get our local channels over the air...doesn't that sound old fashioned. We even have an antenna, although it isn't what you might think an antenna looks like anymore. I'll post a photo from my phone in a bit. Been divorced from Directv for a while now. It can be quite a chunk of change.

Welcome Theresa! If you have been reading, you know we all hit and miss with the posting. Join in when you can, we are thrilled to have you. And don't forget to share photos of the important things like that project you are working on!

I am hoping to catch you call up on all that has been happening here. Either that or bore you all to tears! I miss you when I don't have the energy to post.

BPCs LOVE it.

Looking for my phone to post that photo....
mar
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2014 :  4:43:00 PM  Show Profile

That's it you can paint it your wall color to make it disappear. Completely flat about the size of a sheet of paper.
Mar
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2014 :  4:52:15 PM  Show Profile
And for those of you who don't hang out with the Mensa crowd, as GG said I did, you might even get the darn thing hung with the "no show" tabs BEHIND the antenna like they are supposed to be. But, dh does do some things very well...so I'll keep him. Get your minds out of the gutter, girls. ;-)

Oh, I love the Cardinal Vine. I have never seen one before! My tomatoes are coming in strong, too. Best time to have a garden!

Holly, I love your brother's spirit.

And Bunny, you kept me from wracking my brain all night trying to remember who sang Summer Breeze! Thank you. I guess, I could have googled it. I just don't think of it!

I am glad to hear everyone is enjoying the rain. We are due for some this week.

Mar
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2014 :  4:53:49 PM  Show Profile
Mar, where can I buy an antenna like that? I can remember when we first got TV and had to put the big ugly antenna thing on the roof and turn it manually. Lots of snowy pics in those days. Yours is way better! Radio Shack by chance would have them?

We are going to the big city of San Angelo Thursday to the social security office so I can do my name change and b can apply for a social security card. They have a Best Buy so we have to decide on our streaming device by then. I'm still researching them.

GG
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2014 :  5:08:31 PM  Show Profile
Best buy has them. Winegard is the brand we have. Got it at Home Depot.
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2014 :  5:09:53 PM  Show Profile
Careful with those tabs... They're tricky! Lol
Mar
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2014 :  5:19:50 PM  Show Profile
You guys are getting so tech savvy! Way to go!
Got my son's fabric today. Looks like this weekend will be quilt making time! He is excited. It looks like I got some bonus fabric because it was at the end of the bolt. I'm hoping I have enough for a pillow case for him. I want to make a flannel one and a cotton one.

Just finished my homework. I'm so Glad it is done! I still have typing homework to do and one other class. But they are no biggie.
Time to let my brain veg for a while. I can't believe I actually got all my websites correct. My oldest says I should learn how to write Apps. Yeah.. I'll get right on that. What would I write an app for anyway. Any ideas??

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2014 :  6:28:55 PM  Show Profile
Yes Bunny! Write an app for MJF. Not one like the one that already exist where you subscribe to the mag and read the mag. But one where we can keep track of our badges and user friendly to follow and post on the threads we are subscribed to.

Patty #1840

http://ladygonegreen.blogspot.com/

A rind is a terrible thing to waste. Compost.

When they had all had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, “Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted.”
-Jesus in John 6:12 NIV Bible

Edited by - thebyrdhaus on Aug 20 2014 05:40:46 AM
Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2014 :  7:25:49 PM  Show Profile
Good Evening. We have returned from our trip, exhausted. I came back to green beans ready to be picked and new chicks hatched. So canned green beans today. Will catch up on laundry tomorrow and can a few tomatoes. It will take me a couple of days to catch up on my rest.
We drove up to my daughters house and her back yard was full of wild turkey and their babies. Got pics of that too. So brag time. Here are a few shots of my growing grandaughters...

Turkey in her backyard.

A chipmunk. :)

My LilyBug! My youngest grandchild (She's special)

Azalea, Lily, Daisy

Azalea...My first born grandchild.(She is special)

Daisy J... The middle girl, same birth position as Meemaw (She is special)

Patty #1840

http://ladygonegreen.blogspot.com/

A rind is a terrible thing to waste. Compost.

When they had all had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, “Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted.”
-Jesus in John 6:12 NIV Bible
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2014 :  8:28:20 PM  Show Profile
Patty, thanks for sharing your photos. Such pretty girls. So glad to see you have a favorite granddaughter! Just like a good meemaw. Love the name theme, too. It's nice to have a connection like that. Welcome home.
Marianne
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 408 Gathered Up: Previous Topic Over 50 Farmgirls Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page