thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2014 :  6:55:18 PM  Show Profile
Good evening. I have been busy canning. Canned 2 canners of green beans, 2 canners of tomatoes, froze 12 bags of shredded zucchini for bread and diced up a 5- gallon bucket of peppers and dehydrated them. Will pick beans once more this week before heading to Connecticut for a few days. I have so much to do before we leave. We put up 2x2's in the garage between rafters today to hang 40+ fishing poles. Seriously, no one needs that many poles! Since moving back they have been standing in 4 large garbage cans. I had to use some motivational skills to get them out of the cans and out of my way. Like "Go to the lumber yard and get me 8-2x2's so I can get the fishing poles put up". I cut the boards, DH used the nail gun, while I held them in place. He then worked a couple of hours organizing them. I also ran to the hardware store for an electrical plug for DH's air compressor so Jake could replace the non working plug, and shorter cord with a longer one. It has been non-working for weeks. I thought we accomplished alot today. However, I still have to finish cleaning up the kitchen.:(
so off I go, so I can get to bed!

Opps! A couple more post slipped in there while I was posting so I will edit.
Marie, Affordable Care Act has not helped the person who pays for their insurance. Our deductible went up, our co-pays went up, our out-of-pocket went up. We use to only pay co-pay at the dr, now we pay for everything except the dr fee. We use to wait to get x-rays at the dr office even if the injury was over a weekend because it did not cost more than our co-pay. Now it does. We even pay extra for them to draw blood. "the law has change and we have to charge you" That is not for the lab, only for the blood draw. My chiropractor cost $40 a visit co-pay. When I told him I could not afford $40 3x's a week. He offered to bill me as though I did not have insurance at $30 a visit. Seriously!

Patty #1840

http://ladygonegreen.blogspot.com/

A rind is a terrible thing to waste. Compost.

When they had all had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, “Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted.”
-Jesus in John 6:12 NIV Bible

Edited by - thebyrdhaus on Aug 12 2014 7:05:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2014 :  6:59:48 PM  Show Profile
Good grief, Patty. Who eats all that food? Wish I were your neighbor.

So yesterday Robin Williams and today Lauren Bacall. Wonder who the third will be. They always die in threes. Same in my family.

GG
Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2014 :  7:07:51 PM  Show Profile
I am extremely sad about both of them. Loved Lauren Bacall. She lived a good long life.

Patty #1840

When they had all had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, “Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted.”
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2014 :  7:27:48 PM  Show Profile
Marianne,

NIMBY means "not in my back yard" will there be affordable housing for poor families or for people who need help with addictions etc. Pretty intolerant. School starts on August 25 and the after school classes start in September. I wish Lowell would get his buttinsky off the computer so that I can download some software up dates.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2014 :  7:29:18 PM  Show Profile
I am glad to have all input about the health care. Since I have Medicare, I didn't pay close attention to it. Does not sound very affordable to me. He is being told he isn't eligible for it but gets fined if he doesn't have it? What the %^*+. Oh, wait there's a word for that now. WTF! I finally got to use that! Yea. Feel better.

GG
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2014 :  7:43:14 PM  Show Profile
I will not go into an affordable health insurance debate. I know is that the US is the only industrialized country who hasn't figured out how to do it. The following countries have universal health care: Argentina, Austria, Australia, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Chile, China, Cuba, Costa Rica, Cyprus, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Oman, Portugal, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Spain, Sweden, South Korea, Sri Lanka, Ukraine and the United Kingdom. One can make judgements about certain of these countries but the point is, they were able to figure it out in a way that didn't cause hardship and hassle. The US as a nation cannot agree on the correct way to provide our citizens with adequate health coverage pure and simple.

Enough said.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2014 :  7:57:50 PM  Show Profile
I wasn't asking for a debate-I was just wondering what other experiences have been, if there's something I don't see here. For example, I've been very happy with Medicare but a lot of people have issues with it. He has to wait five years before he can have it. B has absolutely no health issues, weighs 165 lbs at 6 ft tall, no medications, yet when he tells them his age, they have no health plan for him. He got told that three times this afternoon.

Holly, we were at Walmart yesterday and as we're leaving the garden dept, there is this fabulous double chaise that reclines as an oval bed. It was their floor sample they were selling for 100$ off. I sat on it while b went and found someone to load it in my jeep. The stars look real good from that lovely thing. I know--walmart. What can I say.

GG

Edited by - doll58maker on Aug 12 2014 8:00:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2014 :  8:11:35 PM  Show Profile
Bunny, I guess you've tried applying for jobs around where you want to move To. Can you get unemployment pay? I used to have a lot of applicants who didn't want the job, they just wanted to apply and get turned down so they could keep the unemployment checks coming.

GG
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2014 :  9:10:28 PM  Show Profile
GG I can't get unemployment because I haven't worked a job long enough. You have to work continuously for almost a year to qualify.

In December I qualify for food stamps. I have to apply for work and check in at the county every Tuesday to keep my benefits. I don't mind, but there aren't many jobs here to apply for.

I might have a custom order though. A lady wants me to make two dresses for her from two of her grandmothers outfits for her and her sister. Just waiting for the clothes.

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com
Handmade stuff http://www.curiousorangecat.etsy.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2014 :  03:40:15 AM  Show Profile
Many years ago, DH was at dinner in the UK with another American (wealthy type who fights at every turn to keep his taxes at the absolute minimum through the use of a high priced accountant) and an even wealthier European (I forget which country this man was from). The Wealthy American was asking the Wealthy European how much he paid in taxes and was astounded at the percentage of income this man had to hand over to his government. The American asked the European, "Doesn't it make you angry to have to give up so much of your money to support the programs for all your countrymen who don't make as much or any money?" The European never rose to the "bait" and finally after being asked in several different ways how angry this perceived unfairness must make him, the man said, "Why would I want to live in a country where everyone else is poor?" Gosh, such a simple idea. Who wants to live surrounded by people who have significantly less than you? Wouldn't everyone feel calmer, safer, just happier if there was a bit more balance? The difference between the upper, middle and lower classes has become too great in our country. We need to lend one another a hand. Everyone hates taxes, but how else do we get the money to the programs that help the people who need it?

I just wanted to share that anecdote because this gentleman made quite an impression on DH many years ago. It certainly isn't the "American Way" but maybe we have some learning to do...
Mar

Edited by - rough start farmgirl on Aug 13 2014 03:44:12 AM
Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2014 :  04:09:53 AM  Show Profile
I was just stating what the Affordable Care Act has done to us. We are older now and face more medical bills than someone younger. My husband worked 35 years for the same company and retired with insurance that we still pay dearly for. It does not cover what those get free. We have both worked hard all our lives. We both continue to work hard to save money and we still live from paycheck to paycheck. I have sat here and though I have enjoyed your company, I have read comments aimed at the political party that I claim to be a part of. I only speak from my experience and comment on how the affordable care act has affected my husband and I. Obviously this thread of bold women over 50 is not where I belong.

Patty #1840

Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2014 :  07:08:55 AM  Show Profile
Mar, what a great story. It makes such good sense. We have become such a nation of greed at the top. No wonder we are so disliked around the world.
Mar, I willl try to remember to send you a picture of my magazine pages in the next day or so.

I only got part of my web design homework done yesterday. Fibro pain kicked in and I ended up in bed. I'm actually done with one class. The other three will go until the end though.

It rained yesterday. It was so nice! I love summer rain as long as the next day isn't 100 degrees.
I made three dresses last Sunday for my store. Just have to take pictures. Actually one still needs a few touches like pockets and I'm trying to decide on so e appliqué for a dress I made. I can't wait to get back to it.

I'm working at the college the next two days and then house sitting in the boonies this weekend. No cell service or internet and the most basic cable. I'll have to find something creative to do.

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2014 :  08:15:01 AM  Show Profile
Did I run Patty off? I sure don't disagree with anything you have said Patty and I don't think I was aiming at any party. I'm just disappointed that our country can't find a way to provide health care and education about health to everyone without it being a choice of medicine or food for some.
I apologize for speaking out of turn. I am happy to be considered bold, I guess. We have too many things in common to let this subject make you want to leave, Patty. Please reconsider. I did not mean for any comment to be taken personally.
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2014 :  08:28:08 AM  Show Profile
I am so sorry to have said anything about the new health care program. It was an innocent inquiry not intended to start a political scene.

There is a reason why we don't talk politics on this forum

Patty, I am with you. I have worked hard my whole life. I want to help the poor who are poor because of misfortune. I do not want to use up my savings to help the lazy and irresponsible. The problem is that there are too many of them and too few of us. The notion that there are a few rich people at the top who are hogging it all leaves out those of us who have worked all our lives so that we don't have be a tax burden on our neighbor, and we are seeing our efforts and hard work going down the drain.

I tried a Pinterest idea of cutting off the celery a few inches from the root and replanting it. Didn't have time to put it in dirt so I put it in a cup of water and sat it in the kitchen window. Three days later and it is growing like crazy! Next I will try it with onions.

GG
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2014 :  09:05:04 AM  Show Profile
So will that make celery ribs like a normal celery plant? Or will it be ornamental?
Out of pull some weeds. May drive to Tillamook tomorrow, home of the yummiest cheese ever! It is on the Oregon coast about an south of Portland. Need to catch up around the place today.
Mar
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2014 :  10:20:09 AM  Show Profile
Ladies,

I brought up the political issue. I named and blamed and that was wrong. I am very sorry. I am here to apologize to Patty personally. I become very defensive when I feel as if I have been personally attacked. I did that to you Patty and that was very, very wrong.

I have been going through a very stressful time. My stress has a name and it is Lowell. Our arguments are all about trying to get each other to change and that just isn't going to happen.

Monday night I wanted to get to bed early because I had to walk two blocks to get the bus at 5:15 AM to get me to the polling place I was assigned as an Election Judge. Lowell kept me awake until after midnight with his requests. Thank goodness this election was a primary and all the other election judges were cool people. I left at 2:00 PM and we only had had 50 people voting. Annette's son Lemar is the manager of the nearby Burger King so I got lunch for free. I got home and had so many tasks yelling at me that I was hardly able to concentrate. Lowell came home not feeling well as usual. I was so tired that I could hardly move and ate dinner very late. We argued about how the Netflix bill should be paid. I couldn't change the payment method to his credit card. He just wants me to pay it out of my account and transfer the money to from his account to cover it. I don't want to do that because I have been forgetting to do things lately. We also discovered that his credit card is maxed. I already know that my accounts are compromised because I have to take care of so much. Bottom line, he just doesn't want to make the effort to do it himself. I guess I set myself up for his dependency on me. Then, lo and behold, I couldn't get to sleep and stayed up until 3:30 this morning. I didn't get out of bed until almost 10:00 and didn't get breakfast until 11:30 because I had to take care of the animals, take meds, check the garden, copy and mail Annette's property tax refund, help Lowell get out the door and take a call from Lowell asking me to research the last time he got an oil change. The dishes are stacked up, the laundry basket is full and the floor is covered with cat and dog fur. I am overwhelmed. I need a break to take care of myself. I haven't done that for quite some time.

I will keep track of everyone but I may not post for some time. I am feeling quite ashamed for hurting Patty.

Marie, Sister #5142

Edited by - churunga on Aug 13 2014 10:26:05 AM
Go to Top of Page

Kirksmom71
True Blue Farmgirl

873 Posts

Mel
Dallas Texas
USA
873 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2014 :  10:39:49 AM  Show Profile

Edited by - Kirksmom71 on Aug 14 2014 08:50:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2014 :  11:06:58 AM  Show Profile
Ok everybody, BREATHE!

This isn't the first sister squabble we've had and it won't be the last. That's what sisters do.

Shall we carry on?

Sister hugs to all.

GG
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2014 :  2:31:43 PM  Show Profile
Mar, I'm jealous about the cheese trip. I've wanted to go to that part of the country for years but one night in Seattle is all I have managed. I'm interested in knowing how the weather is there in your area. If it's not too humid and not too hot or cold, I think I might be interested in relocating there some day. From Seattle there are direct flights to everywhere we need to go except Scotland.

B and I signed up for a beekeeping class starting in September. I'm excited about that.

Won't Holly be surprised to see what happens when she turns her back on us for one minute. B got so frustrated over the health insurance debacle he just went to sleep. Screw it, he says. Meaning I'll figure it out.

GG
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2014 :  4:54:14 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

Years ago (16 +) now we were paying through the teeth for health insurance for C, me and two babies. The only insurance we could afford was a $5000 deductible. Then C became employed by the state of Vermont and while her salary was not what she had been making when she lived in Cleveland we figured we had a bonus because her employee status gave us health and dental. Her premiums have gone up steadily over the past five years or so because the union bargaining has conceded some of this to maintain the contracts. But, we still have insurance and it still is better than when we had to cover ourselves.

I too am saddened by the deaths of Lauren Bacall and Robin Williams. Lauren lived a long life. and Robin's cut so short. I can not imagine being in so much pain in my head that I would think of doing myself in. He must have hurt so much. My condolences to his family and friends.

Today is the day I take the two boys to therapy so it only leaves enough time to putter in the house.

It has rained since after lunch. Nothing too outrageous just steady rain. The garden could use it.

Ahh, G, I do not post for one night and you all act like people. I think we should post our opinions because how do we learn from each other if we do not. G is right about always being sisters. or better because we do not have the baggage of growing up together. I would like to learn from all of you and consider this a safe place to do so. I hope I never am disillusioned about being safe here. I am sorry Patty took personal offense. I guess I consider myself a liberal because I think everyone deserves health care. BUT that being said I have a hard time supporting people who choose to be leeches on society. I do not want to support women who choose to have children but do not have the where with all to raise them responsibly or just don's give a damn. I think that men who do not support their children should be snipped so they can not bring more children into the world who will not be raised with love and compassion. I could go on. As I grow older I become more jaded and conflicted about what is right.

off my soapbox.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2014 :  6:38:08 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone,

GG, I like the weather here, especially now. We hit the 90s now and then, but it is supposed to be unusual for this area. I think the weather has changed everywhere a bit and hitting the 90s is probably going to be "usual" for this area very soon. I don't find the humidity terrible too often. Not everyone in this household would agree. I had a terrible problem with my nasal passages being so dry in Spokane. The humidity there was sometimes in the 20s percentage wise. Very dry. Here, we have been in the 50 and 60 percentages. But, yesterday I think our heat and humidity were neck and neck. 80s. Then it rained. Today it has been in the 70s. I don't know what the humidity is, but it isn't noticeable.

I think Portland is very pretty. I love all the bridges. The Columbia River is a deep water channel and huge ships come up it. They seem so close. I grew up on the Sacramento River. It was what I saw if I looked out my bedroom window, which of course, I spent a lot of time doing. I like rivers. Dh says it is because I grew up on one. Anyway, the architect in me likes bridges, too! So, a trip into Portland is fun for me.

I really got a lot accomplished today. We have been gone for the last two days, not over night just two days of running around, so I needed to catch up. Laundry, baking, salad making, gardening, finding monster sized zucchini (surprise!) and catching up on bills and phone calls. Tomorrow, we may do the cheese run as I mentioned earlier today...

Bunny, how does the custom order look? Is it going to be a chore? Looking forward to your posting a photo of the magazine spread.

Holly, are you ready for baseball season? And have you mastered your new computer? Oh and since you indicated that you thought we should all post our opinions. Here's mine: health care shouldn't be political. It should be something we don't even have to think about because it is just there. Too boring to even talk about.

My MIL called me today to let me know that her friend's daughter called her and asked my MIL for my number. The daughter wanted to call to thank me for writing to her mother (who is in a residential care facility). This woman has been a friend of my MIL for many years and was kind to my children when they were young. Bea is in her nineties, still has a shot or two of scotch nightly, is very crippled with arthritis, but tries to keep up with her needlework. Her mind is as sharp as ever. But, she is weakening a bit and her voice is not as strong as it once was. Well, dear MIL told the daughter that she knew she was a very busy woman and that MIL would just relate the message to me. So, MIL called me and told me all this assuring me that this woman was very busy and shouldn't have to call me personally since MIL could just tell me. Gee, "mom" thanks but maybe she wanted to call me??? Still, I was very pleased to know that Bea was enjoying the cards. She used to write back, but it became too much effort for her. I find her to be a great inspiration.

OK, time to think about dinner...
mar
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2014 :  7:28:06 PM  Show Profile
Speaking of rivers...there was article in our local paper today about two men who made a raft and are sailing down the Mississippi. they stopped briefly at our town. They left from Minnesota and plan to sail to the Gulf.
Meanwhile, ACROSS the river in Missouri there has been a lot of sadness and unrest. A young unarmed man was shot and killed by the police and it erupted into violence. It's been all over the news and I was driving back from St. Louis this evening and had to take a detour cause a sit-down protest was being held at a major intersection. The details aren't clear but it's tragic that a promising life was cut short and he apparently hadn't done anything wrong. I just hope that justice is served.
I've been getting peach tomatoes from my garden. They're a smallish, slightly fuzzy yellow tomato and I think they're the best tomatoes I've ever tasted. I searched seed catalogs for several years until I found them in Baker Creek. The falling branch destroyed my cherry tomatoes, but as if to compensate, a volunteer tomato plant in my herb garden is starting to produce.
Peace and goodness,
Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2014 :  9:09:51 PM  Show Profile
Mar, I sent you an email with my article. You should have gotten it unless you email has changed.

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2014 :  10:07:51 AM  Show Profile
Cindy thanks for the Baker Creek tip. I've gone to their website and ordered their 2015 catalog.

GG
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 408 Gathered Up: Previous Topic Over 50 Farmgirls Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page