jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2014 :  5:54:20 PM  Show Profile
Gee, the weather channel said it was only supposed to get down to 3 above last night, well, it was 14 below when we got up this morning. I am very tired of the cold and snow. My daughter's truck would not start last night, so Bob went to help her. She need a new battery. Today my son called and his water pipes are frozen, so the store, his apartment and the back apartment that he rents out had no water at all today. He had to call the city, they have 14 people ahead of him, so they cannot come until tomorrow sometime, so he had me work this afternoon so he could clear some space for the city to work, Bob brought some jugs of water for all to at least flush the toilet. I am sure I will have to work tomorrow so he will be available if needed.
Bunny, hope you enjoyed going out for dinner tonight. We went for pizza, I was too tired after I got home to start cooking.
Gypsy, yes, it seems there are a lot of changes going on for a lot of us farm girls. I just hope it is a good year for all of us.
Right now, most people have their RVs in storage for the winter, but once they start coming out, some will go for sale, I am sure. When we find one, hopefully this spring, we plan on camping a lot this summer in it, then off to warmer weather come mid October. We do not plan on staying in one area too long, we want to ravel and see all the states, weather permitting. This will be our home, on the road.
Well, off to watch a movie, then to bed. Have a great evening,

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2014 :  7:56:10 PM  Show Profile

Edited by - doll58maker on Sep 24 2019 8:17:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2014 :  8:07:32 PM  Show Profile
Wowie Zowie Gypsy! That was a great reading.

I would say more but I am too tired. Maybe tomorrow.

Marie, Sister #5142

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2014 :  8:09:48 PM  Show Profile
So B has blown up something in the microwave and he's in there scrubbing away and saying things like " bugger sh**e".

hugs to all my sistas
Gypsy #3534
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2014 :  8:18:08 PM  Show Profile
Mar didn't check in today. Not good. Welcome home, Marie.

hugs to all my sistas
Gypsy #3534

Edited by - doll58maker on Feb 04 2014 8:18:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2014 :  8:36:29 PM  Show Profile
Gypsy, so cool about your cosmic visit. I did a quiz one time about auras and it said mine was most likely green. I wish I was more able to connect with my spiritual side. I'm so glad you found your life mate.

Janet, I too will be living through your adventures. If I didn't have so many kitties, an RV would be great for me. I want a 5th wheel. I just need room to sew and places for all my supplies.

Marie, rest up. We'll still be here.

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com
Handmade stuff http://www.curiousorangecat.etsy.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2014 :  10:52:41 AM  Show Profile
Bunny, you would be surprised how much room you can find in those things if you can get it all organized where you know how to find what you want without having to pull everything out. I knew a quilter who lived in a fifth wheel and she did fine. Set your sights on it and it will happen.

hugs to all my sistas
Gypsy #3534
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2014 :  12:01:57 PM  Show Profile
Ladies,

Time for an update on my trip to Fergus Falls and all other things Marie.

The ride up north was smooth and a little cold. I finished making a holder for suet for the birds on my way. I crocheted a small bag with a drawstring out of some shade cord I had. My father-in-law always has food out when we arrive and he kept urging us to eat. He had also planned a dinner out with us and eight other people at Ole and Lena's Pizza and Italian Food. They have a hotdish pizza. I made my order and then realized that I had run out of my long-term insulin. Rats! I had to be careful.

The highlight of the trip was "the talk" with Lowell and Hayley about the distribution of Roger's assets after his death from which I was excluded. Apparently, Roger, Lowell's dad, believes that I am living off of Lowell's income. Lowell laughs because he doesn't know how frugal (stingy) I am. The upshot is, Lowell will get a generous monthly allowance to supplement his social security.

Mitzi had to stay with our neighbors who just love her. They reported that she missed us. Every time they took her outside, she ran around to the front of the building looking for us. We had to leave her at home because Roger had complaints about her barking while we were away from the apartment. When we got home, she was very quiet and well behaved. She even slept on the bed with me the first night.

I am helping with the Read-A-Thon fundraiser at the school. Yesterday and today I dressed as Grandma who promised to pledge money to her granddaughter Annie with Reading Woman explaining the fun and the prizes. We were a hit. I am known in the school as are the two other ladies who have kids going there. I'll post a picture as soon as I receive it.

For this project I made an apron. I had limited time to make it, Sunday night and Monday afternoon. I ended up staying up until 1:00 AM and would have stayed up longer to attach the bib and collar except that I kept making mistakes and tearing them out. I got up early on Tuesday and finished the skirt part of the apron. When I attached the eyelet lace to the wrong side of the collar, I knew I was done.

Congratulations or sympathy are in order for all the changes in our lives. I am looking forward to getting into the garden.

Marie, Sister #5142

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2014 :  4:01:54 PM  Show Profile
Hey, Mel, I just found a pinner who has almost 70 thousand pins. You and I are still amateurs! Lol!!!

hugs to all my sistas
Gypsy #3534
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2014 :  5:29:35 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

My paternal grandmother did not favor girls at all. Lucky for my sister and me, we lived far enough away that we were not affected. My cousin LeighAnn was set aside apparently on numerous occasions and her brothers were lauded. How can women hurt their daughters and other women is beyond me. jj

It started to snow last night sometime after 3 AM. I know because I was up peeing and the road was still dark. We have accumulated maybe 8 inches so far. it is very pretty. I hope jt stops before morning so they can get the roads cleaned up. DdK has a show to go to tomorrow morning at Spruce Peak Performing Arts Center.

Today DdK took the littles to the Flynn to see a show called Great Mountain. They had a great time. DdK said that the littles show are more fun than her shows. I told her it is to make going to the theater fun for the little children so they want to continue going.

Gypsy I am glad you had a good reading. C goes for a reading each year with a French Canadian man named Jean Jaques. He records it and sends her the recording.

Marie, Cheri's mother to her dying day believed that I was mooching off Cheri's hard work. She did not leave C any allowance when she died.

I am some jealous that you can crochet in the car. I barf if I try. So, gazing out the window is all the entertainment I have.

I have a friend who is 76 and grew up in California. She now lives in Maryland. She said that the drought has been a long time coming because there are so many people on the coast that it has warmed up the air just enough that the snow does not form to settle on the California side of the mountains. So, until CA loses a lot of people it will continue.

Mar, I am glad you have an offer you could accept without getting a sick stomach. Is dd settled enough that buying someplace near her will be a reasonable action? Would leasing be better until dd and her bf are solid? Hope your visit is better than anticipated and you are having some moments of joy.

Jan I have hope that the severe temperatures are moderating. I am glad you can rescue you ds and hope he appreciates it. Does your dd plug in her truck? to keep the oil pan warm. But, I guess that does not really help an old battery. How is your dh doing with retirement still? Is he at wits end while you are out of the house helping ds?

I made one curtain today for dsG's new room. He likes it because it has stars and sparkles on it. Just need to line the other and stitch the casing. I am lining it so his room will be darker in spring and summer and hopefully Mr early riser will not become even earlier.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Oggie
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Ginny
Machias Maine
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2014 :  6:17:42 PM  Show Profile
It’s a snow day here and I have been posting dried herbs and extracts on my Etsy page. Took a break and decided once again it’s been too long from MJF and THANK YOU HOLLY! You have made my day with LOL, tears running down my cheeks and legs, and boy did I need that! Since I am so far behind I will remind you “I love my sons”. Priceless!

And then Gypsy! Are you becoming a prepper or just bored from too much winter? I’m glad to hear you are going to the farm house. I can’t imagine living in the city at all. My seed catalogs have come and waiting for me to cruise through: Victory Seed Company, Pinetree Garden Seeds, Baker Creek, Park Seed, Stark Brothers, and Gurneys so far. Any others someone likes?

Bunny – Love the slip dress and new jacket. I especially like the doilie on the back. Another LOL moment with your sign for the birds! You should make them and sell them! Very funny.

Congratulations Gypsy and B!!! I hope you have a wonderful life together ! Love the pictures and I too think they turned out well because of what you are wearing outside. Oh to be able to wear that outside!!!

Marie – Is it possible Lowell has some type of depression going on. It sounds like my daughter telling me what I can say or not say, do or not do, and she expects no one to say anything “bad”. Very unrealistic and I’m sure it’s from her mental health issues. Just a thought.

Congratulations to Mar too! Now you just have to find a house to move to. At least that is hopefully a fun step!

One item a day onto Etsy, great idea! Too bad I just spent my day putting a ton of things on there, lol!

70,000 pins on Pinterest! WOW I think starting a B & B in campers, etc… is a great idea by the way. I would love to do something like that here too since I have 60 acres of woods. But I have a lot of ideas and a disabled hubby coming home soon so I doubt I will get to do much of anything I’d like to do in life.

We’ll see, maybe I’m just down. A online friend of mine died this weekend so naturally I had to check on the rest of you! Thank goodness you are all doing great! Day 105 for DH in hospital, Day 12 for DD. I'm starting to lose it. Spent all these cold days in bed when I'm not working. Saves on heat.

Ginny
Farmgirl #2343
www.thedewhopinn.com
www.etsy.com/shop/cybertiques
www.etsy.com/shop/thedewhopinn

"I always have a wonderful time, wherever I am, whomever I'm with."
"Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it." Both by Elwood P. Dowd (Jimmy Stewart) in the Movie Harvey
Go to Top of Page

Oggie
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Ginny
Machias Maine
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2014 :  6:42:41 PM  Show Profile
Guess I missed a page, lol. Back to reading.

Ginny
Farmgirl #2343
www.thedewhopinn.com
www.etsy.com/shop/cybertiques
www.etsy.com/shop/thedewhopinn

"I always have a wonderful time, wherever I am, whomever I'm with."
"Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it." Both by Elwood P. Dowd (Jimmy Stewart) in the Movie Harvey
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2014 :  04:03:46 AM  Show Profile
Hello from the frozen NW. We are in sub zero temps. That made the septic system pumping and certification yesterday an impossibility. So Dh and I are faced with having to heat the manhole covers in order to be able to open them. We got one opened last night and put a couple of pieces of rope to keep it from re=freezing shut. One more to thaw open today and then it can be certified. Pleasant.

Meanwhile the paperwork is all signed and back to the realtor's office. No easy task since the realtor's office staff had a great deal of difficulty ascertaining which of the 29 pages they had electronically received from us. I suggested maybe someone should just come get it. They said we could mail it. No service for their twelve thousand dollars in commission. another disappointment in our eyes.

MIL is fully on board with moving up now. Quite the change in heart. We will build out a cottage type living quarter for her on the new property. Which means a new item is added to our check list for the new home.

Dd and boyfriend live in Portland. The other main employment hub is Seattle for them. We plan on moving halfway between the two cities. It is a good area for us with Dh's brokerage opportunity and puts us out of any commutable/expensive area of the two large metropolitan areas. But we will have excellent access to medical, shopping and entertainment. We will be about 90 minutes from dd if she stays within the two metro areas. We didn't want to be in her back pocket, just a reasonable distance to be able to see her more often with out a mountain pass between our households.

We will close on March 18. so, we will be busy. Dh and I are trying to develop a short list of properties to concentrate on. And I started the final packing of things we won't need in the next six weeks.

Gypsy, I hope I already mentioned that your photos are lovely, but frankly I don't remember if I actually posted it! Your reading sounds like it was so cool. Love that! Bunny, keep up the good work in school and creatively! so proud of you. Jan, I can sure understand your anxiousness to get out of temperature like these. This is miserable. Holly, dark curtains sound like a great idea for a morning person. In the middle of summer our daybreak comes about 4:30 am. That is a crazy hour for a youngster to get up - shut out that sunshine for a bit longer! Marie, how is the after school program going? Ginny glad you are getting ready for Spring through your seed catalogs. A little bit of sunshine and warmth to get through this cold, cold time!

love ya gals, Mar
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2014 :  10:12:31 AM  Show Profile
Mar, moving now should be so much fun! I don't envy you at all. And having MIL coming too...how fun is that ( yes, that is sarcasm). It sounds like quite an adventure. But being 90 minutes from two great cities in enviable.

It's snowing. It is suppose to snow for the next few days. That means I'll be stuck at home unable to go anywhere. Thankfully I don't need anything. I have a pet sitting job starting next week, but by then it is suppose to be in the 40's and raining so I'll be able to do my job.

Until later....

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2014 :  10:20:44 AM  Show Profile
Oh yes, Bunny. You have my mindset completely right. It will be a dream come true...I don't know whose dream, but still. Your snow will hit us on Saturday or Sunday. At least it will warm up some. We are in the teens now. gonna go take those blankets off those horses.

Mar
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2014 :  11:21:53 AM  Show Profile
Busy, busy, busy. I started cleaning out our bedroom. Took most of today, so far. Seems I am just moving things from one place to another. At least now we have a little more room to walk around the other stuff!!LOL!!! I will need to have a lot of yard sales this summer to get rid of so much stuff. I need just one hobby and stick to it, instead of 50 different ones. I owned a craft store for 20 years, so it is really in my blood.
Mar, I hope you find the perfect place in the perfect area. I am sure it will be a big adjustment having MIL living with you. It does change your lifestyle. you be able to have the horses where you are going?
Still cold here, but hope for next Thursday, supposed to get up to 20!!!! We have not been above freezing since Dec. 5th. I don't know how many days in a row with below zero. I am glad this month is a short one.

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2014 :  12:12:45 PM  Show Profile
Thank you for your compliments, mar. I'm glad you have checked in and that things are moving forward for you. It will all work out. It can not be easy to live with a MIL that you don't have a close relationship with. I hope to never do that to my kids. I tell them now that the checks have stopped coming ( to them) that my gift to them is to keep myself strong and solvent so as to never become a burden to them.

It is interesting how we adapt to cold weather. Yesterday it was much warmer than today but there was a cold wind blowing and we were so cold. This morning was still and overcast and it seemed so warm I went out to an appointment wearing only a sweater and was surprised that the car thermometer said 25 degrees.

hugs to all my sistas
Gypsy #3534
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2014 :  12:26:40 PM  Show Profile
Ginny I am always glad when you post and let us know you are ok. That is a lot for one person to have to deal with. These cold days I wish I could just stay in bed with a heat pad on my feet, but it seems like I've never been so busy.
I appreciated the list of seed catalogs, some of them I did not know. I know we are all so looking forward to spring this year. I want to plant some organic noGMO corn. I really miss fresh garden veggies that I know are safe to eat.

We aren't becoming preppers, although we do want to become more self reliant. Mostly, B just can't stand the city traffic. It does not bother me that much.
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2014 :  1:14:02 PM  Show Profile
Janet, isn't it just amazing how much STUFF there is when you start pulling everything out and going through it all! You will no doubt have to agonize over what to keep and what to let go. I hear you about the 50 hobbies. Good luck with whittling that down, too. I haven't been able to let go of anything yet but I haven't worked on anything in forever. I keep thinking, "someday". I think someday is about to become " now or never".

hugs to all my sistas
Gypsy #3534
Go to Top of Page

Kirksmom71
True Blue Farmgirl

873 Posts

Mel
Dallas Texas
USA
873 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2014 :  5:10:02 PM  Show Profile
Ginny...so glad to see when you stop in to visit....sorry about your friends death....stay warm....Spring will be here eventually! Just focus on all those lovely plants growing and flourishing!

Gypsy....loved the pics. Interesting about the shaman/psychic experience. I had an uncle (who was always a staunch skeptic on all such matters, although he was a Freemason) anyway...MY POINT....he went to a palm reader every so often and held her observances quite highly. I have never experienced either but certainly am
open minded.

And I seem to be quite an amateur at Pinterest with my 40,000 plus..... :)I'll continue striving for Pinning greatness!! Ha! Ha!

Mar....glad you have a resolution insight....March will be here much sooner than you know! Hope you can find your new home quickly. I give you credit for having your MIL live with you....I could never and we actually like each other but see so many things differently. My MIL lives with my SIL (her daughter) and they built a separate but inclusive area for her, she has her own bedroom and bath and living/ dining room area and a wet bar. Building department would not allow a kitchen....unless it was a separate residence...although she has access to the front exit and French doors into their area. It is truly a great setup but Deb said they have no privacy because she spends all her time in their living area...don't think she anticipated that problem when they decided to live together. Mom bought the land the house is built on so it is just as much her place as it is thiers and I don't think she sees her self as an independent property. :)

Oh well....I know it can be bothersome but I told her she will be happy with herself when Mom is gone because she did all she could for her....she has COPD and is deteriorating slowly because of it. I have no delusions about my kiddo....I know he loves me but he'll be first one to send me to the old age home. LOL

Woke up to 16 degrees and a layer of snow....sounds pathetic considering what the rest of you have been dealing with but its unusual for Dallas and no one can drive in it in Texas! :

My best to all,
Mel

Sassy City Girl with Farmgirl Fantasies!
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2014 :  5:32:58 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

Today was a lovely day her on the hill farm. The temperatures started out at -10 F but the sun was shining and not a cloud in the sky. We have ten inches of crisp new powder on the ground. By noon the temperatures were above 0. The little boys and I went out side. Them to sled and me to shovel the driveway. I did not make much progress on the driveway. I did take some nice pictures of the birds at the feeders and the boys sledding. By supper the temperatures were below 0 but not too much. The house is still easy to get warm.

If I did not have all of these children staying in bed all day would be a reality for me as well. You do have a lot on your plate Ginny. Hugs to you.

We have a lot of seed catalogs as well. To Ginny's list I would add the Wildflower Farm from Texas, Johnny's selected seeds from Maine, and some catalog that I can not remember the name of from Oregon that is downstairs and I am too lazy to go and retrieve it.

Mar I guess you will start your gardens all over when you move. Do you have any of your perennials in pots? Does the Neighbor know yet?

Gypsy one project at a time. I have some started as well and some I may never finish. I have a counted cross stitch that is making me crazy because I miss marked the chart and am frustrated in trying to mark a new chart to keep going. These projects require thinking time and I do not have a lot of that these days.

We took pizza boxes and painted the big part on one side blue and made clay islands. Atolls and volcano islands. Today we painted the volcanoes black. Maybe tomorrow we will add another color. I did not have the patience today to do more than one color to keep them from getting mixed. It did suit the boys attention spans. They had a good time.

Jan the days are getting longer soon we will see the grass. Hope is how we keep on living in this climate. Congratulations on digging out the room. Did you find some things you had forgotten you had?

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2014 :  07:44:50 AM  Show Profile
"mom" will be living in her own quarters on our property. My one rule was "Not under the same roof." MIL is a door/drawer slammer. Not out of anger, just because she is used to doing it that way. And it sets my nerves on edge, so I knew I wouldn't be able to live with that long term.

Today we will have the home inspection done. Also, the farrier comes this morning. It will be busy. But, it will be nice to have it all done.

Better get to it.
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2014 :  4:36:37 PM  Show Profile
Too much snow!! This is what it looks like out my front door.

Thankfully I don't have to go anywhere until next Wednesday when my kitty sitting job starts. By then it is suppose to be in the 40's and raining.

Time for a hot bath. Too much homework this week. I don't get to sew tomorrow. I have to finish up my work.

My mom called and said there is no way for her to get a reverse mortgage. There is a large lien on the house from a past unpaid bill. She she is going to try to sell it when my stepdad dies. However, no room for me. I need to find a way to support myself before that happens. I'm feeling a bit homeless right now. Plus, I will never give up my kitties.

Later......

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2014 :  4:37:45 PM  Show Profile
Ok, fine...so the picture is upside down. iPad sucks for picture taking.

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2014 :  5:06:13 PM  Show Profile

Ok...better?

I feel better. Nice hot bath does wonders.
I got another letter from my youngest son in boot camp. He sounded great. He conquered his biggest fear. It was a very tall log wall that they had to climb, go over the top and down the other side. He said he froze midway but everyone cheered him on and he made it. However, he did not make it through the rope course. He fell in the mud.

Mar...how is the packing going? I'm starting to realize I need to downsize big time. If I'm going to be living in a trailer..not much room for all my junk. I guess I'll have to really step up the yard sales this summer.

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 408 Gathered Up: Previous Topic Over 50 Farmgirls Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly