showthemlove
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Vanessa
Vermillion SD
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2012 :  3:29:28 PM  Show Profile
Hi! Does anyone have any websites or personal experience finding some non-toxic bra options? I seem to have so much trouble with the elastic. I don't think that I have latex in my undies, but I itch a lot from dryness/contact of these undergarments. I need support, though. Don't want to get that old furniture syndrome...where your chest falls into your drawers

I love the upper Midwest!

pinokeeo
True Blue Farmgirl

559 Posts

Phyllis
Oregon
USA
559 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2012 :  08:25:56 AM  Show Profile
JCP has undies that have no latex in them. They are sold as white cotton undies with no elastic in the legs.

As for bras, you may have to learn to make your own. I went to a specialty shop for bras, but they are super expensive.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I cannot master those things that I have not tried.

check out my artfire: http://www.artfire.com/users/PiNOKEEOs
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2012 :  5:43:02 PM  Show Profile
Vermont Country Store comes to mind. They have a 100% cotton, latex-free bra here http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/store/jump/productDetail/Sleepwear/Women&aposs_Sleepwear/Bras_&_Panties/Cotton_Bra/15549 . There are probably other styles, too.
Go to Top of Page

maryk
Farmgirl in Training

30 Posts

Mary
Barrington RI
USA
30 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2012 :  4:27:38 PM  Show Profile
Wow, I never heard of anyone allergic to a bra before. Can you make you own with cotton???
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2012 :  5:29:49 PM  Show Profile
Oh my GOSH am I so glad you asked, Vanessa! I have the same problem - it can really be miserable at times! And thank you girls for the recommendations. I am definitely going to check these out! What a relief! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

showthemlove
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Vanessa
Vermillion SD
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2012 :  5:42:06 PM  Show Profile
Okay, my current ones are from JCP, so maybe I'll have a leg up (or something up) on the sizing. I have made bras on my own before, although it's been years, but have not had great success, except for sleeping types. Maybe you know of some patterns, Phyllis? Even if you remember the name of the "super expensive" specialty stores...if they have a website or catalogue, I might get some ideas for fabrics and patterns. I think that this might be a good magazine article...can MaryJane's crew find anything on this? There are organic feminine supplies and baby clothes...gotta be something this personal out there in allergy free fabrics.

Go to Top of Page

showthemlove
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Vanessa
Vermillion SD
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2012 :  5:42:54 PM  Show Profile
Oh, and I love Vermont Country store...shoulda thought o that!

Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2012 :  12:27:00 PM  Show Profile
We used to have a real general store on Main Street. They sold unadorned cotton slips, panties, bras and stuff with the area's Mennonite and Amish communities in mind. I really miss that place. It closed a few months after the opening of the Walmart that we fought for four years. He knew he wouldn't be able to compete with them for the work clothes/footwear that were his staple inventory. Everything he sold was made in the USA, by the way. The point I was going to make before I started venting (sorry!) is that if there are such stores near you, you might give them a shot. It's always nice to be able to try on before buying.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9269 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9269 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2012 :  08:05:34 AM  Show Profile
I have heard of latex free but I have trouble with the elastic. Breaking out from it.

farm girl sister#43
http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
O, a trouble's a ton or a trouble's an ounce,
Or a trouble is what you make it!
And it isn't the fact that you're hurt that counts,
But only--how did you take it?

--Edmund C. Vance.
Go to Top of Page

showthemlove
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Vanessa
Vermillion SD
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2012 :  3:58:34 PM  Show Profile
Yes, I have trouble with the elastic, too, and fillers. I have very determined perky parts that need layers to cover all of the time. I am concerned about what the fillers are made out of. There is a Hutterite community up here. I WOULD love to try on these first. Although....it is a really big bother to do so. All the layers of clothes and little bitty dressing rooms, and jiggling everything all into place. No wonder I have been putting this off. But, the itching is getting intolerable.

It is more of a bother to have to send some back to a company if the item doesn't fit.

Go to Top of Page

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1480 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1480 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2012 :  6:55:22 PM  Show Profile
Yep, I struggle with this issue also, but my problem is usually with the stitching thread and any trim used to cover the seams on the cups, wires, etc. I have been able to reduce much of my itching and reactions by not using commercial laundry detergent on my undies. They can cause irritation on their own or react with elastic and other synthetic materials to cause even more grief. Bleach is especially well known for this. I like www.decentexposures.com and www.gaiam.com. Two sources I recently heard about are www.latexfreeundies.com and www.cottonique.com that sells allergen free undies - but I have not tried their products yet. Hope you find something comfy soon!

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

http://blueskyanddaisies.blogspot.com

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page
  HomeSafeHome: Previous Topic Non-toxic bras Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page