levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9244 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9244 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2013 :  05:28:12 AM  Show Profile
Girls I have just loved reading all your posts on the different fairs you attend/attended. It has me excited to take the littles again this year. They are 7,6 and 3 so it is always something to try and keep them all together. They are good about it though. Usually the promise of a hot dog and sno-cone does the trick. Then of course we have to get cotton candy for the ride home before dropping them off to mommy and daddy! My bad!!
I just love to browse through the handmades and the 4-H building.
Everyone has some great memories and I am glad you all shared them. Makes me think back to the fairs when I was a kid. It was always a major highlight of the summer and everyone in town went so it was always good fun with friends too!
Darlene~ they have the funnel cakes here. They are so good but so greasy. I try to stay away from those.

farm girl sister#43
http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
O, a trouble's a ton or a trouble's an ounce,
Or a trouble is what you make it!
And it isn't the fact that you're hurt that counts,
But only--how did you take it?

--Edmund C. Vance.
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

7506 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
7506 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2013 :  2:01:19 PM  Show Profile
Hi Denise,
Yes they have the funnel cakes here too and your right too greasy oh well there are many other goodies out there to eat like kettle corn, yum.
I am getting excited about going this year too.
I will try to take some pictures too if I can, but that isn't till the middle of August.

darlene

I have learned that to have a good friend is the purest of all God's gifts, for it is a love that has no exchange of payment.
by Frances Farmer

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.

I trust in you Jesus...
Go to Top of Page

mommahartley
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Laurie
Perdido Key Florida and Lewisburg Tennessee
USA
24 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2013 :  06:42:05 AM  Show Profile
Ladies,
Now that I have read all your posts, I am craving fair food and fun fair times again! I think a "fair road trip" may be in order this summer/fall to experience those in the area. We are so close to Alabama , Mississippi and Louisiana so I may venture out that direction. My sweet hubby just loves it when I say "hey let's go for a long drive" haha. but he is always glad once we get there.
Being an Army kid we were stationed in Italy and do you know they have county fairs there too? Elephant ears and all! What a great memory.

Blessings,
Laurie
Momma Hartley

This is my commandment, Love one another , as I have loved you
greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.
John 15:12-13

La Dolce Vita (Italian) "The Sweet Life"
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

7506 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
7506 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2013 :  10:48:06 AM  Show Profile
I guess there are fairs everywhere. Small world huh!
I am really enjoying reading everything here, It is fun!
hugs
darlene

I have learned that to have a good friend is the purest of all God's gifts, for it is a love that has no exchange of payment.
by Frances Farmer

Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.

I trust in you Jesus...
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2013 :  6:58:46 PM  Show Profile
Our kids were very involved in 4H so their growing up years we were totally focused on fair week.
Dozens of projects, showing poultry and rabbits, talent show, dress review, demonstrations. Earning a trip to the state fair was tremendous! When they graduated from 4H I missed that part of the fair totally, it just wasn't the same.
When I got the opportunity to volunteer for open class it was something I HAD to do ! I'm co-superintendent for the needlework division, putting in hours with cleaning, set up, taking in projects, helping the judge, displaying the projects and putting in a couple of sessions watching the building and returning projects. It is delightful to see the projects and meet the people who did the work and there is something about being useful that makes it even more fun.
Susan

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"
Mary Oliver
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

7506 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
7506 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2013 :  9:50:34 PM  Show Profile
I understand Totally what you mean Susan, I worked with the 4H for 15 years and when My daughter left it I stayed 2 more years and I really missed all the activity with the fair and the 4H. I really wasn't the same.

by Frances Farmer

I trust in you Jesus...
Go to Top of Page

sunflowercritters
True Blue Farmgirl

1102 Posts

Debra
Springfield Maine
USA
1102 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2014 :  05:58:36 AM  Show Profile
Just look forward to going to the COMMON GROUND FAIR. I head over to the fiber/spinning/knitting area. love the spinning world...
hugs Deb

I Thessalonians 5:16,17
Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks, for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.

Deb-farmgirl sister #462
http://sunflowercritters.blogspot.com/
Be like a Sunflower, Turn your Face to the Son.
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6521 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6521 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2014 :  06:19:27 AM  Show Profile
Our county fair is held in the Fall and the 4-H Youth Fair is held in early Spring. Locally, the fall fair is more about the carnival part with less on the animals and other typical entries. The youth fair is all about the animals and student learning projects. We just don't have the space for both to be held together which, ideally , would be the most fun and more like what fairs are typically made up of. On our recent vacation, we were riding the Amtrak train through North Dakota and passed right by the big state fair grounds where there was a huge fair in progress. I wished I had been able to stop and visit to see what other states are doing. Our Florida State Fair is held in Tampa every February.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2014 :  09:49:03 AM  Show Profile
We just went to the first of the season here yesterday. Love them. This one was a tiny 4H fair but I enjoy them all.

Farmgirl hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

7506 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
7506 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2014 :  8:28:03 PM  Show Profile
Our fair is coming up soon this month. I know it has gotten smaller but it is still nice to go to it. I like to see the flower show and the 4H and exhibit hall to see the nice quilts and hand crafts.

The Art building is great too.

I like The music and just wandering around over there.

hugs
darlene

by Frances Farmer

I trust in you Jesus...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic County Fairs? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page