Sue Feely
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Sue
Buffalo New York
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2012 :  07:13:42 AM  Show Profile
How many Farmgirls have a county fair in the county? If so what are some of your favorite places to visit there?

Hoosiermom
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

Beth
Alexandria IN
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2012 :  08:01:05 AM  Show Profile
we have a county fair & our son shows pigs. I guess right now my favorite place is just hanging out in the barn with all of his friends & all the parents. We have a great time & are making some great memories. It brings up a lot of memories for me growing up...I never showed livestock but always had a lot of friends who did & we spent countless hours in the barns. It's fun because people that don't have animals don't get how you can hangout all day & eat & visit in all the stink, but we don't mind.
I do enjoy going through the project building too...I love looking at the cake decorating & gift wrapping projects. There are some very creative people out there!

Beth
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2012 :  2:25:42 PM  Show Profile
Oooo...ooo! Ours is coming up and I can't wait. I love to visit the barns with the animals, but my most favorite is the display of antique tractors. We eat barbeque (CT pulled pork), and ride some of the rides. I just love it.

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

SandraM
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Sandra
Coldwater Michigan
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2012 :  7:15:33 PM  Show Profile
We do!
Ours was last week we are still recuperating. Our girls show goats, dogs, and Sheep. We spend a lot of time at the Show Shelter and livestock barns.
They like to check out the Projects that all of the 4H kids bring in.
This year they enjoyed the small petting zoo that was bought in that had some exotic animals as well.

Sandra
www.mittenstatesheepandwool.com
Go to Top of Page

kelly22
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

Kelly
Monmouth Oregon
USA
19 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2012 :  4:38:16 PM  Show Profile
we just had ours... my older sons who are only 6 and 7 had 85 entries between the two of them and took home $98.50! this is not animals, you have to finish 3rd grade first. this was flowers, veggies, arts and baking!

but my favorite thing about the polk county fair isn't the places, but the people. my people :)

~Kelly...raising 4 free range sons on our 65 acre sustainable farm
Go to Top of Page

sonshine4u
Chapter Guru

1205 Posts

April
New Prague MN
USA
1205 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2012 :  06:12:27 AM  Show Profile
We are having ours this week...the kiddos entered all sorts of 4-H projects. I love looking at all the handiwork in the 4-H buildings and the open class. I want to enter something next year! I think it would be so much fun! We of course look at all the animals. Those are our favorite things.

~April

Playing in the Sonshine
Go to Top of Page

Sandy Fields
True Blue Farmgirl

165 Posts

Sandy
Portales NM
165 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2012 :  06:47:09 AM  Show Profile
Love the county fair!! Along with my blog, I also write a weekly column in my local newspaper. Here's a little snippet from this week's article - things I've learned at the county fair:

"If you’re showing your pig and he poops… just whip a rag out of your hip pocket, clean his rump, put that rag back in your pocket, and keep your eye on the prize. There’s a ribbon out there with your name on it."

Farmgirls.. enjoy your county fairs!

Love writing about "My Field Days"
www.field-days.com
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2012 :  08:17:39 AM  Show Profile
Ours comes next month. Must admit, even being out here the last 3 years and I haven't gone!
Hope to make it this year. My favorite things to do are always seeing the quilts and animals at a fair!

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Go to Top of Page

Simple Living
True Blue Farmgirl

1399 Posts

Joan
Staten Island NY
USA
1399 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2012 :  11:36:14 AM  Show Profile
Aww gee, I don't have any county fairs :/ sounds like I'm missing out on all the fun

A Friend is Someone who Reaches for your Hand, But Touches your Heart!
Farmgirl #3842
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2012 :  5:35:27 PM  Show Profile
When I was really young our town had some sort of country fair. I still remember all the hand made items. Even beautiful hand made quilts. I do love country fairs.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

marlee
True Blue Farmgirl

1650 Posts

Marlene
DeRidder Louisiana
1650 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2012 :  6:32:15 PM  Show Profile
Our county fair is in October. I cant wait.
Marlee

God is the painter, he paints the picture. And his son builds it, for he is the Master Carpenter!
Go to Top of Page

Sue Feely
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Sue
Buffalo New York
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2012 :  4:30:18 PM  Show Profile
I started this feed, I guess I had better add my two cents! I went twice to our Erie County Fair; out of the ten days that it runs for. Once with my husband to see "Boston" in concert, they were just all right probably cause there was only one original member left in the band; guess I should of checked that out first.

Yesterday, the last day of the fair, my daughter Meghan and I took my mother whom had a stroke and is wheelchair bound; mom had not been there in years, and had quite a time. We played some "I got it" as mom used to love bingo. ate lots of greasy, wonderful smellling fair food. Looked at all types of animals. It always amazes me to see the kids caring for their animals so much! In the cow area, we even have what they call a "moo ternity ward" I just wish once that I could see a calf being born!
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2012 :  12:37:31 PM  Show Profile
We go to a county fair every year. This year was a bit smaller, with more people attending. I won a giant stuffed bird for my daughter playing "Whack-A-Mole"...one try. I just imagined those little critters digging up my garden, hee hee. My favorite thing to do is see the antique tractors and also see the blue ribbon livestock. It's great fun there, and I look forward to it each year. Ours has been around since the 1920's, I think.

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2012 :  5:19:37 PM  Show Profile
We just went to one today. We went to one a couple of weeks ago too. I just have to get my cotton candy fix each year. Ours is in 2 weeks. Then we go to 2 more after that. We just love going. We graze our way thru and pet animals and look at tractors, once in awhile we watch kids show their horses.Then we look at some quilts, I get my cotton candy and maybe some honey,maple syrup or Watkins products, and we leave....HAPPY!!!(and FULL)LOL

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
"Hey...Don't Make Me Put My Hands On My Hips!"
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

7484 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
7484 Posts

Posted - May 31 2013 :  9:03:57 PM  Show Profile
Hi Sue,
I was just wandering around the forum and found this. We have to fairs here in our county One of them is in the City of Eureka and they have good exhibits and animals and stuff like most of the fairs do but our Big fair is our County fair in Ferndale and they used to be a giant fair but is sort of dwindling. They have horse racing there and last year I went and they had a aligator exhibit and the guy had two of them and he was in a pool of water behind a barred area, one was larger than the other, It was very interesting but they are scarey.
One year they had snakes and reptiles and an aligator to look at and a small gator for the children to have pictures with. One year they had some beautiful parrots and of course bands and music and a little post office where you can get a fair stamped envelope or mail your letters there. I miss the rides where they used to have music on them. Well you know the old noise ordinance.
Anyway it is pretty nice just more expensive each year but last year they did have 3 free days but I got in free anyway because my friend in the post office gave me a free ticket and parking too.
]It was fun and something different to do. I like the curly fries sometimes but they are greasy and I don't like greasy foods that well. I would like them if they were a little crisper.
Well have a great day and expect fairs again to start soon.
hugs and blessings
darlene

I have learned that to have a good friend is the purest of all God's gifts, for it is a love that has no exchange of payment.
by Frances Farmer

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.

I trust in you Jesus...
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9203 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9203 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2013 :  08:38:57 AM  Show Profile
Our County fair will be coming up in July. We always take the grand kids. We like to visit the animals and the 4-H building and my favorite is the things we have entered in the past like the stitching and bake goods contests. My daughter and son both brought home first prize one year. Him for a miniature house and her for a cross stitch project. We didn't enter anything after that year but I always enjoying going in to see what is there.
Of course the littles like the rides and I am usually the one elected to accompany them. We also enjoy the horse showing and races too!

farm girl sister#43
http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
O, a trouble's a ton or a trouble's an ounce,
Or a trouble is what you make it!
And it isn't the fact that you're hurt that counts,
But only--how did you take it?

--Edmund C. Vance.

Edited by - levisgrammy on Jun 01 2013 08:40:11 AM
Go to Top of Page

CindyG
True Blue Farmgirl

293 Posts

Cindy
Fairfax VA
USA
293 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2013 :  09:40:23 AM  Show Profile
Being a suburbanite who longs for the country, I thoroughly enjoy county fairs. We visit them when one happens to be taking place where we are vacationing, and annually go to one in the next county. I'd be hard pressed to pick a favorite thing, but it might be the pet and owner costume contest. The creativity is as spectacular as the patience (and impatience) of the critters.

The attached picture is of a very sweet young lady who did not even place in her division - I think it was rigged because how could she NOT win in her sweet little flower costume with her bunny dressed as a bee. She was tearing up as she left the ring, but lit up with this fabulous smile when I asked if I could take her picture and told her she was my favorite. In chatting with her for a second, it turned out her bunny was named "Honey", so it was even cuter that it was in a bee costume.

Please note the goat in the background taking the opportunity to taste a flower skirt!

Go to Top of Page

Kirksmom71
True Blue Farmgirl

873 Posts

Mel
Dallas Texas
USA
873 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2013 :  09:11:05 AM  Show Profile
Well.... I live in Dallas Texas and they host the Texas State Fair....in September! It is always a fun time.

But as far as county fairs go.....when I was a kid my grandparents lived in Central Illinois and they would take me and my cousin to the Logan County fair in Lincoln. My grandma would go play bingo and grandpa would spend time at the Hobblitt corn cotent. They would give us some money to buy tickets for the rides and off we would (today I couldn't imagine leaving a kid on their own and out of sight). I remember one year (in those days sadly they had what they called freak shows) and I wanted to go see Ronnie and Donnie the Siamese twins, conjoined at the chest. They had pictures of their faces on the side of the trailer...boys about 9/10...same age I was at the time. Needless to say my grandparents were totally appalled and wouldn't let me see them.

My favorite ride has always been the Ferris wheel and Texas has the largest permanent one named the Texas Star.

I loved the sulky races at the Logan County fair....the horses were so beautiful and I liked the livestock tent because my maternal grandparents and a farm and I loved the piglets and calves and chickens!

Ok, enough reminiscing...didn't intend to bore you with my goofy memories! :)

My best to all,
Mel

Sassy City Girl with Farmgirl Fantasies!
Go to Top of Page

hoosiercountry
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

karla
north port fl
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2013 :  11:35:11 AM  Show Profile
Growing up on a farm in IN 4-H was such a big part of our lives. The county fair was our reward for all our work with our projects. The smell of the food, excitement of the midway, and the rides, Bingo, the barns full of livestock. There was no one thing I really liked the best, I loved it all. It would last an entire week, but we only got to go a couple of times, depended on how long we could make our money last, lol. I loved it when I got old enough to work at the 4-H concession stand. The one thing I really loved was at the fair in Boswell, IN, they would have draft horse events, ours did not. Wow what wonderful memories.
There our county fairs around the area, but they don't compare. Guess I am spoiled to my memories. Karla
Go to Top of Page

mommahartley
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Laurie
Perdido Key Florida and Lewisburg Tennessee
USA
24 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2013 :  11:49:41 AM  Show Profile
oh Ladies,
the fair the fair the fair!! Here in the South they start as early as July and go until October! You can always find one in the smallest of towns and the biggest of cities. I absolutely love the fair even when it's blazing hot. For over 7 years my sweet younger boys and their Dad helped their godfather, Uncle Jeff with his beautiful Beulingo cattle at the Arkansas State fair. Sleeping in the barns was such an exciting thing for them. Brian has a gift for animals and could talk to a 600lb steer like it was nothing. He could calm them to the point that they would lay down and he would lay against them eating his snow cone just hanging out. So amazing. We began our lives of the fair in Alexandria TN at a small country fair (still held today) where I entered my first ever chocolate pie and won 1st place!! I have been hooked ever since although I don't enter as much any more I just go for the Funnel cakes and Corn Dogs and fried oreos and cheesecake on a stick and...lol of course to see the sweet baby animals. Someday soon we will have our animals on our Harmony Farm. Meanwhile I will just keep going to the fairs and enjoying the country life!!

Blessings,
Laurie
Momma Hartley

This is my commandment, Love one another , as I have loved you
greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.
John 15:12-13

La Dolce Vita (Italian) "The Sweet Life"
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1401 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1401 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2013 :  12:07:20 PM  Show Profile
My first adventure with fairs was the State Exposition in Syracuse, NY. I absolutely enjoyed myself. My FIL wanted to go to the girly shows and I wanted to see the horses. My MIL scented her hanky with lavender and held it to her nose. My husband just went wherever.

Now I attend the Benton-Franklin County Fair in Tri-Cities, WA. It happens the end of July/August just before school starts. I love the needlework and quilting expositions. It is usually so hot that once I've walked through the exhibitions I'm ready to board the bus and head home. I adore riding the bus to the fair because there is no hassle in finding a parking spot. I really like the food too, especially the Elephant Ears. I usually have one to go and I bring it home and really enjoy it.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

7484 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
7484 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2013 :  2:05:18 PM  Show Profile
It sounds like a lot of fun for you Denise. I like seeing the rabbits and the chickens. The kids work hard on those too.
I am usually there by myself so don't go to the rides and stuff.
I just recently started hearing about elephant ears, now that I know what they are and not the real animal, they sound really good.
You all sound like you have wonderful memories from all the fairs you have gone to. The little girl in the bee costume with her bunny is really adorable. I wonder what the winner looked like. She will remember you for your praise.
Thanks Sue for starting this topic.

hugs
darlene

I have learned that to have a good friend is the purest of all God's gifts, for it is a love that has no exchange of payment.
by Frances Farmer

Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.

I trust in you Jesus...

Edited by - darlenelovesart on Jun 02 2013 2:13:14 PM
Go to Top of Page

AnnieinIdaho
True Blue Farmgirl

437 Posts

Annie
ID
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2013 :  4:15:23 PM  Show Profile
Hi Sisters,
We were on vacation one year near Woodstock, CT and stopped at their county fair. It was so great and I saw the huge pumpkin contest, so it must have been later than summer? So many animals were shown. I got to see baby chicks and taste samples of butter made on the spot by shaking the cream. I especially liked the agriculture contests where flowers, veggies and fruit compete. I lived in Paso Robles, CA (San Luis Obispo County) for 14 years and they have an amazing fair called The Mid-State Fair. Many memories of the children entering their sewn dolls. I even worked the call center to book the entertainment shows back in the late 80's. It was so fun. I remember seeing a tall, very young and skinny guy standing in the administrative building where we were selling show tickets and the manager told all of us ladies, "He's on his way to becoming a huge star"...guess who? Alan Jackson! It was always so hot in the 100's so the buildings with the industrial fans and the animal and hay smells are ingrained in my memories. Crazy fun though. Best to all of you...oh by the way it is 102 degrees on my patio right now at 4:15 p.m. whew! Annie

"The turnings of life seldom show a sign-post; or rather, though the sign is always there, it is usually placed some distance back, like the notices that give warning of a bad hill or a level railway-crossing." Edith Wharton, 1913 from 'The Custom of the Country'.
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

7484 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
7484 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2013 :  4:25:33 PM  Show Profile
It sounds like a fun fair down there. The one in Connecticut sounds wonderful. They really have some big pumpkins. Neat.
Well try to stay cool and not fry :D
It is about 50's here. 4:30pm
hugs
darlene

by Frances Farmer

I trust in you Jesus...
Go to Top of Page

JudyT
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

Judy
Southwest Wisconsin
USA
196 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2013 :  5:54:24 PM  Show Profile
We have one and it's held in September and I love visiting all the animals!

Judy~Farmgirl Sister #599
I've lived in an urban area most my life, but now I'm living in a rural area up on a ridge in the Ocooch Mountains in Southwest Wisconsin, sharing my life at...http://dailyyarnsnmore.com
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

7484 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
7484 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2013 :  6:00:22 PM  Show Profile
The fair we have is held in August.
I love the old fashion feel of them.
hugs
darlene

by Frances Farmer

I trust in you Jesus...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic County Fairs? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page