Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Removing MOTH Ball smell from wooden trunk
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Removing MOTH Ball smell from wooden trunk Next Topic  

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3317 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3317 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2012 :  8:44:00 PM  Show Profile
Had amazing luck today at auction-Bought a HUGE antique 5-foot long 2-1/2-foot high oak spoon carved trunk (painted) which I will be stripping down to uncover all that glorious oak! The trunk has to be at least turn of the century, probably earlier-It looks as if it came over on the Mayflower!

But....the smell of moth balls is over-powering to say the least-

What can I use to eliminate MOTH ball stink from an antique trunk?

Talk to me ladies....

Melody
Farmgirl #525

rphelps4
True Blue Farmgirl

620 Posts

roxanna
westport indiana
USA
620 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2012 :  9:29:04 PM  Show Profile  Send rphelps4 a Yahoo! Message
Congratulation on your wonderful find, I wonder if you sat it out in the sun with the lid open for a few days, I don't know, why don't you check on line. Roxanna
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2012 :  01:40:11 AM  Show Profile
I agree with Roxanna that the sun can do wonders. Have you ever heard of crumpling up newspaper and closing the trunk up for a few days. I have had luck with some smelly suitcases. Good luck to ya!
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

SusanScarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

317 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2012 :  10:15:35 AM  Show Profile
I had good luck by putting LOTS of crumpled up newspaper in the truck and setting the whole thing out in our blazing west texas sun. I sprinkled a few of the papers with water and emptied about 2 boxes of baking soda in the mix. A few days later I removed paper and vacummed out the baking soda. Then I put 3 or 4 boxes of opened baking soda in it and closed for about a week. No more smell.
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2012 :  11:13:23 AM  Show Profile
fish tank filter charcoal in a bowl, along with baking soda, close tightly and put in sun, change charcoal and soda as needed, may take awhile, but it will work with no damage to trunk...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3317 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3317 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2012 :  11:30:34 AM  Show Profile
What about sun damage? It's hot as blazes here in the U.P.

I read about trying crumpled newspapers, but not fish tank filter charcoal-that's a good idea too!

Melody
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2012 :  2:11:54 PM  Show Profile
melody, putting it in direct sun might not be the best during the summer, but maybe in a hot garage or shed, and charcoal and soda has always worked for me thru the years, with wood, cloth, leather and plastic, sometimes takes a long time, but if your treasure is worth the effort and time , why not...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

beachymom
True Blue Farmgirl

467 Posts

Kathy
Manchester Tennessee
USA
467 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2012 :  5:04:01 PM  Show Profile
I hate to bring up chemicals, but how about Fabreeze? I've taken that 'fish smell' out of my husbands fishing duds with the spray then hanging in on the clothes line. I know you can't do that with a wooden trunk, but how about a quick wipe down with some Fabreeze and letting it air dry? Or, how about plain old white vinegar? I use that on my regular wash and it works too.

Hugs and Squishies!!

Kathy

Farmgirl Sister #3983

Take care of the land and it will take care of you.
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2012 :  6:07:46 PM  Show Profile
I'm not sure how this will work on moth balls exactly, but plain old charcoal like the kind you buy for grilling outdoors will absorb the most powerful odors. Don't get the kind that's pre-treated with lighter fluid or anything -- just plain. Put half a bag or so in your blanket chest, scattered out over the bottom on some newspaper or something to prevent getting charcoal soot on the wood. close the lid, and if possible, put a giant plastic bag over the entire chest, tie it up and leave it alone for a week or two indoors. That should do the trick. The newspaper/baking soada idea sounds good, too. You might have to try more than one method. Of course, fresh air is helpful, but heat, humidity and wood aren't a good combination!
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Removing MOTH Ball smell from wooden trunk Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page