Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farmgirl Fashion
 Anyone growing out your hair?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Farmgirl Fashion: Previous Topic Anyone growing out your hair? Next Topic
Page: of 5

westfork woman
True Blue Farmgirl

554 Posts

Kennie Lyn
Emmett Idaho
USA
554 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2013 :  7:37:48 PM  Show Profile
Ok, I gave up today and cut most of the red out of my hair. I have a niece's wedding coming up, and just could not deal with my hair like it was. It looks much better, just a short haircut. I can always let it grow, maybe.

Greetings from the morning side of the hill.
Go to Top of Page

Cissik
True Blue Farmgirl

578 Posts

Sylvia
Kent WA
USA
578 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2013 :  9:50:39 PM  Show Profile
I have had my hair longish for about 5 years now. I always kept it short but could never get a good haircut and was constantly changing hairdressers. I have very thick coarse hair that has a natural S wave and a lot of cowlicks. It's because of the natural wave and cowlicks that a short hairdo just doesn't work. Hairdressers would put tons of junk on my hair just to control it. I finally let it grow and have only had it cut when it just got too hot. My hair being very thick doesn't stay enclosed in any device. And, if I find some thing to keep my hair up on my head,no matter what it is, will give me a headache because it's too tight. Right before I left for my 50th high school reunion this June, I gave in to a shorter hair cut and a color job. I hate both! Now I'm going to grow out the color and have it cut off. Then the long task of letting it grow out again. Someone help me please the next time I'm tempted!!!! AGH! I don't mind having grey hair. I wash my hair with a coconut oil base shampoo and let it air dry. Works the best. Don't ever use a hair dryer. Right now it's shoulder length. Roots are showing. I don't like the texture of my hair now that it's colored. Need some sister sympathy though I don't think I deserve it. :)

Sylvia
Kent, WA
Farm Girl #5389
http://vintagehousegoods.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9244 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9244 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2013 :  06:25:02 AM  Show Profile
Sylvia,
Though I have never colored my hair, it's blonde, i understand about the short haircut and trying to get it to grow out. Mine is very fine but thick. It doesn't not hold a curl unless it is permed. I have been toying with that idea but then it looks so ratty when it starts to grow in and I want to cut it then. I really want to grow it out long. It has been short for a few years now. Right now it is driving me crazy because it needs a cut to look nice but it seems to take forever to grow back. And all hairdressers I go to want to cut , cut , cut! I hate that. I just need it trimmed up to look decent while it grows. I have thought about low lights just so the natural color will look less glaring. Something subtle but I haven't gotten the nerve up to do it. :(
I hope you will get it to the place you want yours to be. How is everyone doing with their's that wanted to grow it out?

Denise
Farmgirl Sister #43

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path."
Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
http://www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

westfork woman
True Blue Farmgirl

554 Posts

Kennie Lyn
Emmett Idaho
USA
554 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2013 :  10:50:27 AM  Show Profile
I still miss the braid, but my short haircut is probably the best I have ever had. For some reason, in my old age, the back of my hair is curly. That part isn't even coming in gray, just curly. I get up in the morning, get the back of it wet, and it looks pretty good all day. The rest of my hair is just a stick straight as ever. Weird. I still have some red left, but it is fading and almost looks like sun bleach.

Go to Top of Page

Cissik
True Blue Farmgirl

578 Posts

Sylvia
Kent WA
USA
578 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2013 :  1:18:37 PM  Show Profile
It sounds cute and easy to live with!

[quotei]Originally posted by westfork woman[/i]

I still miss the braid, but my short haircut is probably the best I have ever had. For some reason, in my old age, the back of my hair is curly. That part isn't even coming in gray, just curly. I get up in the morning, get the back of it wet, and it looks pretty good all day. The rest of my hair is just a stick straight as ever. Weird. I still have some red left, but it is fading and almost looks like sun bleach.

[/quote]

Sylvia
Kent, WA
Farm Girl #5389
Go to Top of Page

westfork woman
True Blue Farmgirl

554 Posts

Kennie Lyn
Emmett Idaho
USA
554 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2013 :  3:18:33 PM  Show Profile
It has been almost 6 months since I started letting my hair go gray. I missed a hair appointment for a cut on the 16th of November, but it doesn't look too bad. I am happy about how it looks. Someone,a natural red head, told me that when hers started to fade and go gray, she felt it softened her face, and I think that is happening to me. It is still curly in the back, and the front seems to have a little body, which is also new, so being gray isn't as bad as I had thought. I am kind of salt and pepper, with some almost white streaks in around my face. Interesting.

Go to Top of Page

Dapple Grey Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

725 Posts

Betty
Goodrich Texas
USA
725 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2013 :  2:11:54 PM  Show Profile
My hair used to be beyond sitting on it. I cut is when my daugheter was young. Now when my first grand daughter was born it long like that again and I cut it. I was 48. Then a couple years later I cut it off again. I can could never get a good haircut that wasn't cut so chunky or uneven and grow out good, sooooo it is growing long once again. It is shoulder length now and I am loving it again as it is just about braid length again. Miss my long hair braided. Always was the question; "you braid it yourself?" French braided is how I wore it. I have grey highligths and two crown strips starting. :) I am 58 now. Most I know have short hair my age.

~ Betty ~
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9244 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9244 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2013 :  4:07:16 PM  Show Profile
Betty,
It seems like most people expect it to be short once women hit their 50's. Not sure why. I am still determined to grow mine out again but it is so straight and once the bangs get long it just looks so bad. Not sure what to do with it then. If I can just get past that part.....

Denise
Farmgirl Sister #43

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path."
Psalm 119:105

Go to Top of Page

QuiltyMom
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Jan
Falls Church VA
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2013 :  4:27:17 PM  Show Profile
I had someone tell me once that I should think about cutting my hair short since I'm over 50. (It's shoulder length). Well, I also wear white after Labor Day, too.

I'm not letting it grow out, but it is falling out... rapidly! Yikes! And I only colored it once - for my wedding. I just don't want to spend the money and the time. Besides, I agree that greying hair softens the face as we age. Just my opinion.
Go to Top of Page

sunflowercritters
True Blue Farmgirl

1102 Posts

Debra
Springfield Maine
USA
1102 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2013 :  4:34:28 PM  Show Profile
I'm trying to grow out my hair as well. I'm over 50 and I do color my hair, but have been thinking to go natural which is very gray/white. Never had it completely all natural...I thought if I grow my hair out I could put it up...I'm a nana so thought this would add to me being a grandmother(nana) we will see I do have very thick hair and very straight....
Deb

I Thessalonians 5:16,17
Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks, for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.

Deb-farmgirl sister #462
http://sunflowercritters.blogspot.com/
Be like a Sunflower, Turn your Face to the Son.
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1401 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1401 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2013 :  10:08:34 AM  Show Profile
I'm not sure why folks would say that over 50's should wear their hair short. I was past my 50's when I let mine grow (for three whole years) and then I had cancer and the chemo caused it all to fall out; head and elsewhere. I was bald all over. I appreciate the fact that it has grown back, but it is so thin that a ponytail would be as big as a dime where the band was. I'll keep it short as long as I have hair, for practicality's sake, not for fashion. Now Mary Jane has a braid to die for, just gorgeous and full.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2013 :  1:00:37 PM  Show Profile
I dyed my long, long hair a couple years ago when I still had hopes of getting a job and I wanted to look younger than 50. It didn't work. I went to volunteer at a school with second graders and let my hair grow until half my hair was natural and the bottom half dyed. One day a girl in the second grade asked me why half my hair was grey and the other half brown. Finally someone told me how terrible it looked and I had the dyed part cut off.

Now I am just letting it grow out naturally. It is now down to my shoulders and I expect the next time I see my mother she is going to tell me that my longish hair is not appropriate for my age. I want to grow it out and I am thinking of getting it permed somehow so that it looks like it has more body. I am already using volumizing conditioner and I like the look.

I believe that hair length is all part of one's personal style and it should first and foremost please the wearer.

Marie, Sister #5142

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2013 :  3:35:54 PM  Show Profile
I also tried growing my dyed hair out to natural gray and after about 6 months my husband asked me to dye it again. The two colors did not look good.

I have been letting it grow for the last year or so (I'm 57), it is now almost the longest it has ever been, but after an illness more than 10 years ago it is very thin - thinner than a dime at the pony tail! It's mostly thin on top and thicker around the sides. I've mostly been wearing it up in a French twist or bun lately. I haven't had anything past shoulder-length since I was a teenager, so I am amazed when Betty says she puts hers up in a French braid herself - I wouldn't know how to do that. Every now and then I use hot rollers and wear it down.

I am very self-conscious about the top thinning. I see a gizmo advertised for $700 dollars with laser lights that is supposed to help - does anyone know anything about that? It seems like that might be safer than the minoxidil shampoo which you aren't supposed to use if you are of childbearing age. I'm way past that age, but if it can cause birth defects then how safe can it be? I'm taking lots of vitamin and mineral supplements, but I'm afraid the thinning might partly be hereditary because I remember that my mom had thin hair on top also, and she was only 34 when she passed away.

Ah well, I don't look in the mirror much so I don't think about it too much as long as I'm busy. I'm kind of thinking the Amish ladies here in Michigan and my home state Ohio have it right, pull it back in a bun and cover your head with a cap.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com http://brightmeadowknits.blogspot.com

http://www.ravelry.com/people/Brightmeadow

Edited by - brightmeadow on Dec 08 2013 4:36:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

Cissik
True Blue Farmgirl

578 Posts

Sylvia
Kent WA
USA
578 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2013 :  5:16:35 PM  Show Profile
I just read that Jennifer Aniston cuts her hair every once in awhile to just below her ears. She colors her hair and it gets so damaged the only cure for her is to cut it off. I'm about to have mine cut too. Told you all before I colored it before I went to a high school reunion. Too vain!!! Now it's showing my roots and I could possibly live with that but my hair looks fried and feels that way too. I think I have to cut and cut again until I'm au naturelle. Then I'll let it grow out in peace. So here we go.....

Sylvia
Kent, WA
Farm Girl #5389
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2013 :  6:47:33 PM  Show Profile
Brenda,

I was going to suggest wearing hats to cover the thin spot. I will guess that you could make yourself some really cool hats with Fair Isle, Norwegian or Amish designs on them. For summer they could be made with cotton yarn. I have seen patterns for hand made wide-brimmed sunhats which have a millinery wire knit or crocheted in the edge. You could rock a different hat every week.

Marie, Sister #5142

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2013 :  09:51:07 AM  Show Profile
LOL, Marie, I went to a Fiber Arts convention once where one of the speakers was known for her hats, she had quite a wardrobe of them and nobody would have recognized her without a hat since she was NEVER seen without one.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com http://brightmeadowknits.blogspot.com

http://www.ravelry.com/people/Brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

Dapple Grey Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

725 Posts

Betty
Goodrich Texas
USA
725 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2013 :  2:22:17 PM  Show Profile
Funny you should mention hats. Hubby came home one day and ask me if I have ever seen those old fashioned bonnets. He said I should make me one, it would help keep the sun off me while out in the hot part of the day at the barn. He had met a lady and her husband and the lady was wearing one mowing her yard. She told him it kept her cool also. It might be a good idea and keep my hair off my neck....

~ Betty ~
Go to Top of Page

Dapple Grey Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

725 Posts

Betty
Goodrich Texas
USA
725 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2015 :  6:43:02 PM  Show Profile
My hair is now at just above my waist. No hat yet, but wear it in a French braid again.

~ Betty ~
Farmgirl Sister # 5589
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1401 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1401 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2015 :  5:54:24 PM  Show Profile
This girl has no plans to grow out her hair. Mine has been short for so many years and so thin (been bald due to chemo) that I don't think I could tolerate the time it takes or have the time left in my life to do it. I starter growing my hair out and in three years it was barely down to my shoulders and the pony tail was almost dime sized. Get my drift? The boyfriend doesn't though. What is it with men who want to play with a woman's hair? More power to you Betty. I love long hair, but it just isn't in me at this time of my life.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

Dapple Grey Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

725 Posts

Betty
Goodrich Texas
USA
725 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2015 :  8:44:24 PM  Show Profile
Mine is long due to I hate not getting the same haircut every time or it was so screwed up it would not lay right. Long hair is not for everyone.

~ Betty ~
Farmgirl Sister # 5589
Go to Top of Page

miles2go
True Blue Farmgirl

54 Posts

Jackie
Canterbury CT
USA
54 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2015 :  06:04:40 AM  Show Profile
I read that nettles capsules taken regularly help to grow a lovely head of hair and also nice strong nails. I have not tried that yet but I would like to. Nettles are very nutritious. Even if you make a nettle tea and water you fav. plants with it, they are supposed to grow beautifully.
I am growing my hair out as well. In the past I didn't have the patience, but, now I do. I love the look of a long braid flopping over ones shoulder, like Little House On The Prairie. That is what I am going for. I can braid my hair but it is not as long as I would like it to be.

Simplicity & Godly Sincerity, by Grace
Go to Top of Page

blackantsnpeonys
True Blue Farmgirl

151 Posts

Denise
Hinckley Illinois
USA
151 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2015 :  7:00:44 PM  Show Profile
I took the plunge and went all natural last year. Not long, but silver. With a cute haircut, I actually don't look old. Wishing you the best with your decision to grow your hair out long. You'll know when your ready.

Creative, spontaneous, artistic, adventurous, wife, mother, grandma! Up for just about anything. Enjoying life. Blessed.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9244 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9244 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2015 :  07:00:45 AM  Show Profile
I am letting mine grow. The last cut I got I was not pleased with at the time but it seems to be growing out well. It is just getting to shoulder length. I have been thinking I would grow it out for one of the places that do wigs for those who have cancer. I am researching the places as I have found that some of them charge for the cut and also charge a horrendous amount for the finished wig. My sister had to have chemo and when her hair started falling out she went and got a wig. It was very difficult to find one in a reasonable price the she could afford.

~Denise~
Farmgirl Sister #43

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

Go to Top of Page

Christy925
True Blue Farmgirl

476 Posts

Christy
Midland Michigan
USA
476 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2016 :  3:34:50 PM  Show Profile

Stopped coloring and cutting mine on my 50th birthday. That was almost 9 years ago. Just get it trimmed now and I'm a variegated gray :) Love it. This is me and my youngest grandchild a couple years ago.

Farmgirl Sister #2315
http://www.etsy.com/shop/WildThymeCreations?ref=pr_shop
http://www.flickr.com/photos/marketwoman45/sets/72157627628326507/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Farmgirl Fashion: Previous Topic Anyone growing out your hair? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page