Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farmgirl Fashion
 Anyone growing out your hair?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Farmgirl Fashion: Previous Topic Anyone growing out your hair? Next Topic
Page: of 5

HodgeLodge
True Blue Farmgirl

662 Posts

Tiana
Berkeley Springs WV
USA
662 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2013 :  3:44:41 PM  Show Profile
I have always had long hair even though it is fine hair with lots of natural curl. I have not colored in many years now. My chrome is coming in strong. In years past I have used sage to color it. It is supposed to keep it your natural color. It's a good blender for when the grey comes in. I love my hair long, and my husband trims the ends when I need it. Sometimes I cut the front, sometimes I let it grow out.

Farmgirl #4817-The greatest gift of the garden is the restoration of the five senses. ~Hanna Rion

Go to Top of Page

sweettea
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Candace
St Cloud MN
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2013 :  4:29:26 PM  Show Profile
Tracy, I love your hair! You even made it through the hot summer last summer without cutting it! You have to be motivated to do that. Way to go! Thanks for posting an photo update. I was wondering how you were doing with your goal to grow out your hair.

"There are two ways to live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaGirl
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Diane
Hermitage Arkansas
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2013 :  07:27:24 AM  Show Profile
I am letting mine grow out, too! A very bad haircut left me almost speechless...I cried! My hair is thick and slow to grow, maybe it is because I am in my 50's.
It has been several months since the horroble haircut and I still have short,chunky layers in the back :(

Sister 4595 loves to Smile, Laugh & Giggle!
~Creative Stitching at Sweet Bay Magnolia~
http://dianedoodles.blogspot.com/

Edited by - MagnoliaGirl on Feb 07 2013 07:28:10 AM
Go to Top of Page

sweettea
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Candace
St Cloud MN
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2013 :  09:24:50 AM  Show Profile
Hang in there, Diane. I'm in my 50's too. I made my decision to grow my hair out after a series of bad haircuts that left one side longer than the other. I started about April/May of last year, got a 1/4" trim in July...wasn't happy with that trim either! I haven't had my haircut since. It had been a chin length inverted bob. It's now about shoulder length give or take a bit. (It's curling up the longer it gets so it's hard to judge how long it is.) One thing...when I go bonkers because my hair is falling in my face, but it's not long enough to put in a pony-tail or braid, I take small sections back and clip it with small claw clips. It's good for the small pieces that fall in my face. It won't hold much else because my hair is thick too, just like yours. Hang in there! Your short chunky layers will grow in no time and you'll find you're much happier with your hair.

"There are two ways to live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaGirl
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Diane
Hermitage Arkansas
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2013 :  10:31:33 AM  Show Profile
Hi sweettea,
I appreciate the encouragement. I suppose at this fun stage in life worrying about hair fashion trends is a thing of the past for me, haha!
I am reverting back to my past...all of the pictures from my childhood days show me with very long ponytails, and so I will return to that easy style. Of course all the blond is about gone...now I am many shades of gray!
Have a happy week-end :)

Sister 4595 loves to Smile, Laugh & Giggle!
~Creative Stitching at Sweet Bay Magnolia~
http://dianedoodles.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

HemetGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

573 Posts

Terri
Hemet CA
USA
573 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2013 :  3:02:49 PM  Show Profile  Send HemetGardener a Yahoo! Message
Hi girls,
I have started growing out my hair as of January of this year. When it is long, it is thick and heavy so I have it layered. I love the femininity of long hair and the ability to do more with it, like put it up, or half up or whatever.
Hugs for the journey. Don't give up.
Terri
Go to Top of Page

monique
True Blue Farmgirl

165 Posts

monique
lepelstraat noord brabant
Netherlands
165 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2013 :  01:28:28 AM  Show Profile
Tracy,

that really looks lovely!

quote:
Originally posted by Bushel n Peck

Here is the current length of my hair. I have not cut it since starting this thread.

my blog: http://bushelnpeck.blogspot.com

my doTerra essential oils online store:
http://www.doterra.myvoffice.com/tracyajohnson/

I sing because I'm happy; I sing because I'm free!
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches over me.

http://thymeandlavender.blogspot.com

www.wolshopmonique.nl
Go to Top of Page

Lyndell
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Leah
Richwood Ohio
USA
61 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2013 :  11:21:43 AM  Show Profile
I get caught up in the romance of having long hair. Boy, do I. I fantasize about cascades of beautiful, shiny, locks & intricate braids and buns...

The reality of it is that my hair is SO thick and SO frizzy (and sticky and heavy, especially in summer--hard water doesn't help) and SO stubbornly wavy that every time I start growing out my hair I can only get so far before I throw my hands up in the air and beg for a short, shaggy bob. I hate spending much time on my hair, and the longer it gets, the harder it is to take care of. Wearing it down is rarely an option since it's always in the way... not to mention it doesn't air dry nicely, so even wearing it "naturally" requires an hour or more of drying/straightening/etc. And, after its been in a pony tail or, well, anything else really, for a whole day, it has weird waves and kinks in it that are impossible to get rid of without washing it again.

The moral of the story is, be careful what you wish for! It all depends on your hair type.

I sincerely wish I had enough money to hire someone to do my hair every day. Don't we all?

http://foxgloveandfolksongs.blogspot.com

Farmgirl Sister #4236
Go to Top of Page

sweettea
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Candace
St Cloud MN
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2013 :  7:53:03 PM  Show Profile
I thought I would follow Tracy's lead and post a picture of where I am with my hair also. Since I didn't post one when I started this journey of growing my hair out I'll have to post that first. I started growing my hair out last spring, about April or May if I'm remembering correctly. I got tired of bad haircuts and flat-ironing my hair. When it's shorter I have what I call "bed-hair-wave". The curls don't show up until it gets shoulder length or longer. With the Minnesota humidity my hair frizzes up when it's short and I was continually frying it with the flat iron trying to eliminate the bed-hair-wave and the frizz. That was the start of my journey. So, I started with a jaw length inverted bob. Here's about where I was last spring:

Here's where I am now:

Go to Top of Page

Bushel n Peck
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

Tracy
Truly MT
USA
251 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2013 :  07:20:12 AM  Show Profile
Pretty lady, Candace!

Thank you for posting your pictures. Your hair is growing out nicely, and fast!

Edited by - Bushel n Peck on Mar 07 2013 07:43:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

hwright95
True Blue Farmgirl

90 Posts

Heather
Murfreesboro TN
USA
90 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2013 :  08:17:20 AM  Show Profile
I turned 36 this year have some gray coming in,I have always had it long but I want to stop coloring it, but don't want the in between stage of half dark/ gray half bleach blond

Heather Wright~ Farmgirl Sister #2187 “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.”
#8213; Dr. Seuss, The Lorax
www.vintagekarmajewels.com
Go to Top of Page

hwright95
True Blue Farmgirl

90 Posts

Heather
Murfreesboro TN
USA
90 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2013 :  08:18:24 AM  Show Profile
Love your color Candace

Heather Wright~ Farmgirl Sister #2187 “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.”
#8213; Dr. Seuss, The Lorax
www.vintagekarmajewels.com
Go to Top of Page

sweettea
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Candace
St Cloud MN
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2013 :  2:08:46 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Heather and Tracy! Heather, I started used semi-permanent hair color years ago but it didn't cover the gray. Even permanent hair color didn't work for me. So, I backed off to semi-permanent hair color again and after a while I went cold turkey and went off all hair color. I love being gray...no, silver, it sounds better! I've heard there is a demi-permanent hair color but had never checked it out. Perhaps that would be a way for you to transition? I've determined that as I age, I want my hair to reflect who I am. I don't want to fall into standard that sometimes seem set for us that makes us feel we need to have a certain hair style or color. I found a quote one day that I absolutely adore. It sums up what I think about aging, hair color, hair length, style, heck, even life itself! "We need to turn off the wrinkle cream ads, stop dousing our heads in dye, and start looking in the mirror to tell ourselves we’re beautiful. Those gray hairs? They’re amazing. Those laugh lines you always look for in photos? They’re wonderful. You're a ravishing Queen in your own right and don’t let anyone convince you otherwise! So smile, laugh and know that your joy is more beautiful than boxed color or Botox could ever be." ~Lauren Richwine

Go to Top of Page

sewsweet
True Blue Farmgirl

172 Posts

Carol

Canada
172 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2013 :  4:07:58 PM  Show Profile
I'd been dyeing my hair for over 20 years. My hairdresser would cringe when I suggested I would like to see what my real hair looked like. She would say I was too young to "go gray." I'm in my late 40's, but my gray started when I was 18 (premature gray just runs in my family). I finally told her that I wanted to let my hair grow out. She went on and on about how old I'd look, and how coarse my hair would be...and so on. So, I did what I had to do. I switched hairdressers!

I am so happy I let my hair grow out. I don't look very good in really short hair, so I purposely suffered through a period of "skunk stripe" and had it trimmed as short as I could stand. It took a little over a year, but I now have a full head of non-dyed hair and I love it! I get WAY more compliments on my hair now than I did before.

If you want to go au natural, I suggest that you try it. If you don't like it, you can always go back to the dye, but I have a hunch you probably won't!
Go to Top of Page

Lavender Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

1979 Posts

Brenda
Jackson MI
USA
1979 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2013 :  07:42:04 AM  Show Profile
I also dyed my hair for about 20 years. I went grey at 23. I too had to go through the awkward stage of letting it grow out, but afterward I got compliments on my hair. Never did cut it off as it grew out though. Just trimmed it once in awhile. I have always had long hair below my shoulder blades.

My neighbor and I both have long almost all white hair now and we both have decided to not ever dye our hair again. Who wants to go through growing it out again. ugh!

Long hair is easier to put up on your head in a bun, or braid it. Do pony tails, etc.

Lavender Rose

Each day we add to our legacy--good or bad.
Our Daily Bread
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1401 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1401 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2013 :  08:05:59 AM  Show Profile
It seems funny now, ironic maybe, but I was trying to grow my hair out for three years. I didn't cut it at all, not even a trim. Then the doctor told me I had lymphoma and that the chemo would cause me to lose my hair. Well, it did. I was bald and naked for hair all over. The last to go were my eyebrows and lashes and the first to return. It is all over now and things have been clear for two years. I keep my hair cut short now like I previously had. Since it came back even thinner than I started, I figured "oh well."

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Betty in Pasco

Edited by - Betty J. on May 07 2013 2:25:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9203 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9203 Posts

Posted - May 07 2013 :  2:10:06 PM  Show Profile
Oh How I wish I could let mine grow. My husband likes it long, I like it long but I also like it short. I let it get to a certain point and then it is off to the hairdressers. I had it permed in February and it has been trimmed twice. I like the little wave a perm gives but then it gets to the point of growing out and the top is straight and the ends are sticking out. I am constantly wetting it to get it to look like something. It is very fine but also thick. I am blonde, have never colored my hair though everytime I go somewhere new which is not too often anymore they want to know if it is colored. Every time I say "No that is why you can hardly see my eyebrows." I love the look of long hair and the longest I have ever had it was down to my hips. Dh loved it this way but I kept getting a little cut off at a time until it was back to shoulder length and then I got it all cut off as a "reward" for losing a lot of weight. Of course the weight came back on, though I am working on that again but thinking about letting it go to see how long it will end up. Problem I have is, even though it is thick it looks very thin when it is long and I like it full but I have no curl whatsoever without a perm. I don't like the damage a perm does to my hair. May be jumping in here to get some encouragement to keep letting it grow.

farm girl sister#43
http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
O, a trouble's a ton or a trouble's an ounce,
Or a trouble is what you make it!
And it isn't the fact that you're hurt that counts,
But only--how did you take it?

--Edmund C. Vance.

Edited by - levisgrammy on May 07 2013 2:12:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tammyb
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Tammy
Bluffton Ohio
USA
511 Posts

Posted - May 13 2013 :  4:17:26 PM  Show Profile
I have had longer hair for a few years now. Love it ! I am 52 and graying but I love the way it looks. If I want it up then up it goes ... same with leaving it down. I think we all just need to decide what we like and go for it! Long or short - love your hair
Tammyb

Live to leave a legacy

Go to Top of Page

sweettea
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Candace
St Cloud MN
USA
55 Posts

Posted - May 15 2013 :  6:07:45 PM  Show Profile
Great thoughts Tammy! I love it!

Go to Top of Page

Bushel n Peck
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

Tracy
Truly MT
USA
251 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2013 :  08:44:53 AM  Show Profile
Here is the latest pic of my hair
Don't know why this is side ways ?

Go to Top of Page

sweettea
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Candace
St Cloud MN
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2013 :  11:56:40 AM  Show Profile
Tracy, I love your hair! It's grown a lot in the past year! Love the curls too! Thanks for posting your picture...I've been wondering how growing your hair out has been going for you. It's been about a year now correct? You're looking good!

Go to Top of Page

neeter302
True Blue Farmgirl

257 Posts

Anita
Hanover Indiana
USA
257 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2013 :  04:54:10 AM  Show Profile
Lookin' good Tracy, your persistence has paid off! I've been trying to get up the nerve to quit coloring and cutting. That expensive once a month trip to the salon has cost me a bundle, I want to stop...LOL...sounds like an addiction doesn't it? But old habits truly are hard to break but I would like to break my coloring/cutting habit. I think what's holding me back is the transitional stage, I know it will look horrid and don't think I have the patience to grow out the permanent color. I can see myself getting it half grown out, freaking out and running to my hairdresser and begging for color and cut. Carol like you I became gray young in life, it's genetic in my family. I love my mom's snowy white hair but mine is very gray in front, salt and pepper in the middle and dark in back so I don't think it would look so great, but how would I know since I've never done it! Anyway I asked my grandson - 4 yrs old- the other day if he would like his Nanny to have white hair, he said NO! I want you to stay the same. :-)

Farmgirl #522
Go to Top of Page

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2013 :  6:54:40 PM  Show Profile
I've let mine grow over the last while and it's shoulder length now. I've also had it has short as a pixie cut. I have little ones so just being able to tie it up or braid it back is WAY easier.

Farmgirl Sister #3759

"There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"

"The things that matter most are not really things after all"
Go to Top of Page

westfork woman
True Blue Farmgirl

554 Posts

Kennie Lyn
Emmett Idaho
USA
554 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2013 :  4:03:59 PM  Show Profile
I am giving up cutting and coloring. DH offered to color my hair, but I turned him down. I have been a redhead for 12 years. It is hard to let it go, because if people haven't known me before, they really think I am a redhead. With freckles, pale skin, and green eyes, I should have been a redhead. My stylist was really good, and the color was very natural. I can't afford it anymore, but mostly, I really miss my braid, and you can't really keep dying long hair red. Since last July I have colored it myself, but it has gotten long enough I can't get it all covered. So, I am kind of ombre colored. It is still brown in the back, almost white in the front, with red over the top. The store brand of red faded much more than the salon type color, which is good, there isn't a really defined line. My hair is now just below my shoulders with long, deep bangs. I usually wear one of those claw type things with my hair up on the back of my head, but is it long enough to French braid and turn it under for a dressier look. I am glad to have it up off of my neck, but I try not to look in the mirror. Surely it will look better someday.

Greetings from the morning side of the hill.
Go to Top of Page

neeter302
True Blue Farmgirl

257 Posts

Anita
Hanover Indiana
USA
257 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2013 :  08:10:47 AM  Show Profile
Kennie I had to smile when I read your post because I too am fair and freckled with green/hazel eyes. My hairdresser does mine in a medium reddish auburn and it looks so natural you wouldn't know until those ole roots start sproutin'. I love red hair, my brother and sister are natural bright red. I keep thinking I'm gonna grit and just quit, after I paid for last salon visit, doggie grooming, tank of gas and trip to the grocery I was flat broke. Really tired of the expense but as you said store bought coloring just doesn't hold very long. I tried to groom my pom last time myself and what a mess, by the time we were all done my back and knees were killing me and big mess to clean up!

Farmgirl #522
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Farmgirl Fashion: Previous Topic Anyone growing out your hair? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page